Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 22:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen starts production of new Passat in India

The car still looks uninspiring with its boring rear and very unmodern front. Dont think this is going to do any well in India. The Superb itself will blow this off.

Instead of this, VW should have invested in building the 1.0 TSI locally and focused on launching the new Polo quickly with this engine as standard and/or Invested in getting the Tiguan localized and dropped pricing to early twenties.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 22:38   #32
BHPian

Is Volkswagen really serious about India or they just want to show their HQ that they tried. Models which are supposed to bring volumes are not being replaced and upgraded. Tiguan could have been a success, but they had to price themselves out of contention. At the least, they could have thought of a Jetta replacement than the Passat's, the segment itself is so dead!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 08:21   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The car still looks uninspiring with its boring rear and very unmodern front. Dont think this is going to do any well in India. The Superb itself will blow this off.
Instead of this, VW should have invested in building the 1.0 TSI locally and focused on launching the new Polo quickly with this engine as standard and/or Invested in getting the Tiguan localized and dropped pricing to early twenties.
From a customer point of view it’s good to have options – and the Passat is indeed a good option to have in that segment. Its very well-appointed and luxurious in its segment; even the high-priced Tiguan is actually doing quite well. Obviously they can do much better with the models in the segments below (for e.g.; getting the new Polo to India).

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
At the least, they could have thought of a Jetta replacement than the Passat's, the segment itself is so dead!
They have not built a Jetta for the global markets based on the current gen Golf, and so it may not be cost-effective for them to keep it alive.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 09:49   #34
BHPian

Tiguan has done 500 units in 4 months of its launch... Not sure if it is actually doing well.
Watch the sales dwindle even more when Kodiak comes in.

VW should take a page out of Skoda w.r.t design. Superb looks miles better than this.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 10:06   #35
BHPian

To me, this "so called" and "much criticised" boring design is so much elegant than other cars in this segment. All these clean lines, no-nonsense design, crisp edges add to its "elegant" look. Of course, looks are subjective. So, can't comment about others' taste

To me, this is a good looking car and should continue this way. I think, VW is the only group that hasn't turned every car into a rounded one! Yeah, Beatle is an exception but its been "rounded" since its inception. So, excused.

On a side note, the front chrome grill reminds me of the "Lines" commercial of Tata Safari !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 11:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
To me, this "so called" and "much criticised" boring design is so much elegant than other cars in this segment. All these clean lines, no-nonsense design, crisp edges add to its "elegant" look. Of course, looks are subjective. So, can't comment about others' taste
Agree.
I would personally prefer clean, sharp and elegant lines rather than wild curves and creases.

Germanic designs like this, age very well, and look fresh even after a decade.
Old 21st September 2017, 11:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
... look fresh even after a decade.
Exactly, this is like making a furniture out of teak wood and do plain teak or rose polish every 5 years or so.
I call these kinds a "CONTEMPORARY", but not "Legacy"

Prem.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs

Volkswagen to launch all-new Passat on October 10th.

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-pas.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th September 2017 at 10:35.
Old 5th October 2017, 15:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Passat revealed through a video, at the dealership,

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 16:43   #40
BHPian

Got info from a birdie that it is going to land somewhere around 38L on road!
Old 5th October 2017, 16:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Got info from a birdie that it is going to land somewhere around 38L on road!
The person in the video mentions this as well. I don't know what VW are thinking, pricing it that high. Anything more than 32-34L (on-road), is what I would consider overpriced. I'm guessing buyers will cough up 4-5L more and get themselves a BMW, Mercedes or Audi because of the badge value. Same thing happened to the previous generation of the Passat and caused it to flop.

On another note, I like the new Passat.
Old 5th October 2017, 17:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Going by the way VW & Skoda have been pricing their new launches (Kodiaq & Tiguan), we can safely assume that the Passat will be ridiculously priced as well.

I am expecting it to be priced at a premium of 2-3 Lakhs, compared to the Superb, which mean 38-39 Lakhs On-Road.

Of course, at such a price, BMW & Mercedes suddenly appear to be Value for Money.
Old 5th October 2017, 17:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen would be launching the 8th generation Passat in India on October 10, 2017.

Last month, VW announced that it has started the production of the new Passat at the company's Aurangabad facility.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 21:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
The person in the video mentions this as well. I don't know what VW are thinking, pricing it that high. Anything more than 32-34L (on-road), is what I would consider overpriced. I'm guessing buyers will cough up 4-5L more and get themselves a BMW, Mercedes or Audi because of the badge value. Same thing happened to the previous generation of the Passat and caused it to flop.

On another note, I like the new Passat.
Absolutely agree with you. Considering the pricing of the Tiguan we could expect prices to start at around 32 l (ex showroom). Hope they don't come up with a Trendline variant on this.
Old 5th October 2017, 22:32   #45
BHPian

I keep reading comments around these cars (especially the VW group ones) as to why can't then someone go and buy a luxury brand at a few lakhs more.

From what I've understood so far, here are some questions that we could answer that helps potential buyers

1. Isn't insurance cheaper for a VW brand car than a luxury brand of the same class?
2. How's general service costs? Would that be at par or do we see a huge difference in terms of cost of pure servicing? (Not talking repairs here)
3. I've heard that luxury brand car parts (even the silly ones) sometimes cost a bomb. I'd not assume that it ISN'T the case with a VW - they do have their fair share of crazy pricing. But overall, what you do you folks think?
4. From a long term ownership perspective, would an equivalently priced Passat vs. Merc depreciate about the same?

Just food for thought. I was beginning to get annoyed that whenever someone launched a car / SUV in ~30-40L bracket, the immediate response is "OMG! they over priced it!! Why bother paying this much for this brand.. go get a BMW /Merc / Audi"

I am not entirely convinced if that's the right way.
Mad Max is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks