NEW CAR
Rate: 9.70%
Maximum tenure: 7 years
Margin: 15%

USED CAR:
Rate 13.10%
Maximum tenure: 5 years
Margin: 20%

I could not digest the latter numbers and picked up my Octavia.
Yes I understand that. What we typically do is take a loan of not more than 3 years and unless we absolutely can't live with the car, keep it for 7-10 years. This may seem annoying at first but in the long run, you will always come out on top financially. It also allows a greater deal of felxibility in the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
When you say 'practically new', which model year or how many kilometers run car are you referring to? A brand new 320d base variant retails upwards of 40L OTR and anything prior to 2015 is no longer new.
I consider anything less than three years and 20,000 on the ODO practically new. I'd only consider buying a car with more than 20,000 on the ODO in extremely rare cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
In Chennai, it is tough to find a 320D with less than 30K miles and less than 3 years old below the 25 Lakh mark. Plus the feel good factor associated with a new car is something else. This is what makes me lean towards a new Octavia over the used 320d.
It's never easy finding a pre-owned vehicle. The hunt can take several months and you need to be prepared for that. Usually owners will try and command a sellers premium, I tend to walk away from such cars as it is not in my inherent nature to haggle like crazy. I like to pay a fair price, one that is equitable to both the seller as well as the buyer. It took me 7-8 months to find my Jetta, the owner hung onto it for 3-4 months more while finalising his next car during which time I continued my search. I eventually paid Rs 50,000 more than I was prepared to, but it was still a fair deal for all parties concerned. Always, Always buy the seller if possible

I could have found a Superb or 320D with more ease but those segments were out of question for me. The superb would probably have been cheaper than the Jetta.

I agree the feel good factor is a nice thing to have, but ask yourself if it's worth the price gouging tactics of these manufacturers? It isn't to me. I'd rather take my time and buy a pre-owned car, spend some money getting it detailed and bringing it home in showroom condition.

Last edited by imp! : 20th September 2016 at 09:34.
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 23:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia gets new Ambition Plus variant

Does the Ambition Plus 1.8 TSI variant still retain the independent multilink suspension at the rear or does it loose out on that too?
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 10:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

It does have the independent multi link at the rear.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 22:14   #34
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I'm just about to cancel the booking of my Creta (which is supposed to be delivered on Saturday) and book the Octavia Ambition Plus instead in the hope to get a more 'fun-to-drive' car.

I'm going for the 2.0 Diesel with Manual Transmission because of the cost of running that I want to keep in mind. The car has most of the features that I'm looking for but just a tad worried if the car will be easy to upkeep in the long run.

Can anyone tell me if I should be worried about the long-term cost of ownership? My usage is going to primarily consist of city driving and some highway runs thrown in.

The last car I drove was Verna Fluidic and one of the main reasons to go for the Octavia is more power.
Old 26th October 2016, 10:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not try the 1.8 TSI AT ambition plus, will work out slightly cheaper and also satisfy much better your desire for power and fun-to-drive factor. Took a test drive last week and man, this one is amazing to drive, somehow enjoyed it even more than the BMW 320D test drive I did last month.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 26th October 2016 at 10:35.
Old 15th November 2016, 16:58   #36
BHPian

Am not sure whether this is the most apt thread for this post and if not, would be grateful if the Mods could move this to the most pertinent one.

One of my friends shopping in the D segment, has fallen for the Octavia 1.8 TSI and is likely to go for Ambition Plus, MY17. He has been offered a 75K discount by the dealer. Any idea whether there is more that could be negotiated, given the year end ?

Appreciate if you're able to please advise of any discount, that you've been quoted in this variant - thanks in advance.
Old 15th November 2016, 22:58   #37
BHPian

Rs 75,000 discount on MY17 is fairly good. You can ask them to remove the Logistics/ Transportation charges and also to include the navigation sd card in the price (not sure if ambition plus has navigation)
Do homework on the car insurance before buying it from the dealer.

I just bought the 2.0 TDI MY17 style plus 3 weeks ago and got approx 60 grand off.

Last edited by dragstar : 15th November 2016 at 23:00.
Old 19th December 2016, 15:11   #38
BHPian

Does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?

Also,the only dealer in Kolkata is Jia Motors and I have heard horror stories about their after-sales service.Has that improved with the offer of a 4 year maintenance package?

Would also appreciate any feedback on Jia Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subirdas View Post
Am not sure whether this is the most apt thread for this post and if not, would be grateful if the Mods could move this to the most pertinent one.

One of my friends shopping in the D segment, has fallen for the Octavia 1.8 TSI and is likely to go for Ambition Plus, MY17. He has been offered a 75K discount by the dealer. Any idea whether there is more that could be negotiated, given the year end ?

Appreciate if you're able to please advise of any discount, that you've been quoted in this variant - thanks in advance.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post

Does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?
Hey joy_swift, YES the 1.8 TSI Elegance variant has paddle shifters. They work flawlessly with that DSG gearbox and the firestorm of an engine in this Czech missile.

Quote:

Has that improved with the offer of a 4 year maintenance package?
One of the more experienced Skoda owners or an expert can answer this. However, I have owned GT TDI for over 3.5yrs now and I can tell you this:

- The problem with VAG cars is not the product/warranty. It is the After Sales Expertise and Inventory.

- Horror stories are part of such machines which are designed for much cleaner environment and fuel types. But the premiumness/plushness these machines offer and the engineering levels are in a different league altogether. This is what differentiates a VW/Skoda from say Tata/Maruti.

Ensure you decide what you NEED rather than what you WANT which making your choice.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 19th December 2016 at 16:08.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey joy_swift, YES the 1.8 TSI Elegance variant has paddle shifters. They work flawlessly with that DSG gearbox and the firestorm of an engine in this Czech missile.
Not sure if they have any Elegance variant.Am thinking of the Ambition Plus.However,cant see the paddle shift feature in their website which is strange.So I thought you can only get that in the Jetta and not the Octavia.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Not sure if they have any Elegance variant.Am thinking of the Ambition Plus.However,cant see the paddle shift feature in their website which is strange.So I thought you can only get that in the Jetta and not the Octavia.
Paddle Shifters are available in Style Plus variant of Octavia TSI, and not in Ambition Plus variant.

Reliability of DSG (DQ200 in TSI) is what bothers me else its a fantastic package.

If you are planning to keep car for over 4 years, I would suggest you to look at some thing else, and not Octavia TSI.
Old 19th December 2016, 17:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Paddle Shifters are available in Style Plus variant of Octavia TSI, and not in Ambition Plus variant.
Skoda website says the Ambition Plus variant has 'gear shift control on the steering wheel'. Pretty sure they are talking about paddle shifters here.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia gets new Ambition Plus variant-octaviafeatures.jpg  

prkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Skoda website says the Ambition Plus variant has 'gear shift control on the steering wheel'. Pretty sure they are talking about paddle shifters here.
I just checked and you are right Kiran. My apologies for confusion.

Not sure why Skoda is not bringing an Octavia TSI with a manual tranny. Manual will increase torque to 320NM + provides peace of mind as DQ200 still seem to be having reliability issues.
Old 19th December 2016, 18:28   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I just checked and you are right Kiran. My apologies for confusion.

Not sure why Skoda is not bringing an Octavia TSI with a manual tranny. Manual will increase torque to 320NM + provides peace of mind as DQ200 still seem to be having reliability issues.
The only plausible answer seems to be the eternal mileage issue coupled with the limited sales potential . The DSG returns around 10 overall on city with AC on. The manual will give barely 7 if driven as it is meant to be.

We enthusiasts will pick up a few but most Indians will not touch it with a bargepole. It will also give the Octavia the reputation of a guzzler which is lethal to long term sales prospects.

They have gambled that the wealthy folk won't mind with the Superb manual TSI and it would be interesting to see it's sales figures.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Thanks for this.

Have you seen any improvement on Skoda after sales over the last year across India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks