Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2006, 05:52   #1
BANNED

Why should someone buy a Honda-CR-V/soft-roader in India ?

I know about the engine/safety parameters...etc of Honda-CR-V, BUT why should someone spend about 15 lakhs and buy a soft-roader which only serves the purpose of a typical sedan ?

The -ve points of Honda-CR-V are many..
  • No 3rd row seats
  • Boot space same as that of a luxury saloon
  • Poor ride on Bad roads
  • No off-roading capability
  • High centre of gravity
Why can't we get a luxury saloon at this price ? The only saving grace is the 2.4L Accord engine and the looks !!!
Old 12th October 2006, 07:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with you Mithun, hopefully the new CRV is going to solve these problems. I think it comes with a 3rd row but i could be wrong.
The CRV did not pick up well when it was launched first, the sales shot up when the facelift came. The reason for the sales going up was not just the facelift but the 26/7 mumbai floods. Since mid last year there has been an outburst of CRVs, so that people can tackle floods in the city better.
Another reason for the CRV doing well is the bad roads in India, sedans tend to touch down at speed bumps.
Old 12th October 2006, 09:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A Honda SUV? Are you kidding. People will line up for it.

Buttttttttttt to me, the CRV is a pretty pointless vehicle. Its built around a Civic and doesnt really offer anything else expect the raised stance. Honda itself calls the CRV as a City Recreational Vehicle.
Old 12th October 2006, 09:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reason why someone would buy soft roader
  • More ground clearance to tackle our pathetic roads
  • Higher seating position for better view of traffic
  • Lack of third row seats means smaller size which means better maneuvering in traffic
  • Good family outing vehicle with lack of third row of seats your dog can sit at the back happily

@mithun: Please define the topic first, is it about -ve points of CRV or -ve points of Soft roader ?
Old 12th October 2006, 09:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Have you ever looked at the ground clearance of a CRV - not much more than a City- rear suspension is pretty low.

Might as well buy a swift - from the drivers seat, it is almost as tall

Last edited by ajmat : 12th October 2006 at 09:51.
Old 12th October 2006, 10:00   #6
BANNED

CRV is more of an American "soccer mom" kind of SUV - designed to take the kids to school with all their bags, gear etc, and never leave the tarmac.

It is too delicate for offroad and even bad roads. My ex boss had one which he drove to Pune often. Every time he came back the car had more rattles and noises. And he's not a reckless driver.

Somehow I prefer the Tucson.
Boom Shiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2006, 10:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
I know about the engine/safety parameters...etc of Honda-CR-V, BUT why should someone spend about 15 lakhs and buy a soft-roader which only serves the purpose of a typical sedan ?

The -ve points of Honda-CR-V are many..
  • No 3rd row seats
  • Boot space same as that of a luxury saloon
  • Poor ride on Bad roads
  • No off-roading capability
  • High centre of gravity
Why can't we get a luxury saloon at this price ? The only saving grace is the 2.4L Accord engine and the looks !!!
Actually on the car selector section of CNBC autocar the autocar india editor suggested buying the Honda crv over the honda accord[for a person who drives on highways mainly] because
It would handle bad roads better than the accord,and crv would be the better highway vehicle among the two.

I have never had the privilige of being driven or to drive the crv so I cannot make my own comments.

PS: Most automobile manufacturers the world over now are giving importance to softroaders/crossovers as compared to the SUV's.Rising fuel costs and love for vehicles with a higher stance to be blamed.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 12th October 2006 at 10:10.
Old 12th October 2006, 10:07   #8
F50
Senior - BHPian

What ever it is, the CRV is selling!! The 'H' sells anything and everthing in India.
By God I love the CRV. And other thing is the owners are i guess very happy with the 'soft-roader' because its really hard to find second hand CRVs.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well .. personally, I find the CRV to be very sissy .. but then my Mom loves it .. so what the heck.

Infact, she asked for a test-drive and was quite impressed because of its saloon-like handling which she didn't expect. Plus, the all-round visibility because of the high stance gives a very comforting feeling esp. to women drivers.

This is important in the context that till date, she has NEVER driven the Accord in the city (which we have for abt 3 years now) - simply because she thinks it's too big .. i.e. she can't get a good judgement of the size ..

I think THAT's one of the major reasons why the CRV sells .. Car like handling coupled with SUV psychological feeling.

p.s. - offtopic -
ever noticed PYT driving CRV's .. oooh la la
Old 12th October 2006, 11:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

The whole concept of SOft-roaders was to reach those people who want an SUV for city use.

WHo are never gonna take it off-road
Not going to spend as much on an SUV
Want an upgrade from a sedan

Its tough to say whether the Soft-roader fever has caught on or not.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:13   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
ever noticed PYT driving CRV's .. oooh la la
Oh yes! Yes! yes! :-) any SUV-PYT combo is cool!
Old 12th October 2006, 11:20   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spot on! Pretty Young Things seem to love the CRV...I have yet to meet one that doesnt.

It also says a lot about the chap who bought them the CRV

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2006 at 11:23.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Mithun & Sahil, sad news but unfortunately the new CR-V will not have a third row seat. I think for the Indian market Honda should have introduced the Pilot which does have a third row seat and also looks sturdy and has more room. Atleast after the launch of Ford Endevour Honda should have responded by launching the Pilot. It would have been interesting to see how the customers would have responded then.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

I heard someone say that Honda's SUVs and MUVs are originally manufactured by Isuzu. Is it true?
Old 12th October 2006, 12:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I heard someone say that Honda's SUVs and MUVs are originally manufactured by Isuzu. Is it true?
The original Passport was

Most Viewed