Team-BHP - What was different when you bought your first car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What was different when you bought your first car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/180305-what-different-when-you-bought-your-first-car.html)

What was different when you bought your first car?

We know a lot of things now that we are into our fifth or sixth car. But how was it when we bought our first car? Probably when we were too young, before the internet was even born, when a city had only 10 cars and 100 bikes on the road?

1. To start with, we never had any idea about mileage. A bus driver told us that cars would get 40 km/liter, so we filled only 4 liters for our first run :)

2. We didn't know how to calculate the mileage (tank full to tank full). We used to get scared when the needle nears empty, so a 5 liter can was always kept in the boot - just in case the car gets stranded while on the way to the pump. All this trouble when the car would have at least 7 liters in the tank! No cars had digital tachometer or 'mileage to empty'.

3. It never occured to us that we would need to change tires, and when the (bald) OEM Ceat tyres had to be changed at 20K, the price of new tyres was a shocker. Never thought that one car tyre would cost more than a bicycle!

4. We hadn't even heard about alignment and balancing. Had to change 2 Bridgestones just after 20,000 kms as threads had started showing up on the inside of the tyres.

5. Sun film was done at the Authorised Center, because they said we'll lose warranty otherwise.

6. We were scared to give the car for servicing at local workshops, even after 10 years. Used to get even the bulb/wiper changed only at Authorized workshops travelling 30 km just for this.

7. EVERY damaged part would be replaced, regardless of whether it can be repaired or not.

8. Travelled 200 km for the second free service, because the dealer insisted that free services can be done only at his workshop.

9. Continued with dealer insurance till 10 years, until the dealer lost interest in our car due to the extremely low IDV.

10. Even for free services, We used to get the car back only after 3 days because the dealer said 'Changing engine oil takes this much time'. And we thought they would turn the car upside down and wait till the oil comes out drop by drop.

11. The most sought after upgrade was 'reverse music' and 'chrome exhaust tip'. We thought the car would not be complete without them

How have you changed over the years?

This is going to be quite an entertaining thread.

The first in my extended family was my uncle's Padmini; he got a pre-owned one in '95. It was always amusing how we'd crank the engine and then pour water down the radiator.

And then, my family got a 800 in '96 and boy! it was SO much more luxurious, sophisticated and "modern". I think I innocently rubbed it in my uncle's face.

I remember, after I'd washed the 800, it had to be parked inside the garage and only my uncle was home. I asked him if he can manage to drive the 800 since it came with a more complicated gearbox.

Coming to our 800:

- The car was heavily protected by grills and guards: there was a guard over the side indicators, the rear lamp cluster, a crash guard and even a grill for the rear quarter glass!

- A very big thing for me was for the wheels to have covers, and that was deemed an unnecessary expense so the 800 never got those

- Yes, we traveled 20km one way to go to the dealer we bought the car from when the same dealer had another branch 5km away

- 45 km/hr was considered "fast", 60+ was downright suicidal

I had hardly any knowledge of cars, we bought our first car when I was 21!
I had the notion that cars had reserve fuel !
I got into an embarrassing situation because of cars reserve fuel!!
I had always serviced my first car at the same authorized centre till the car clocked 100000 kms!
I never had heard about ABS and had no clue about lot of technical things!

From being that naive, I have came a long way forward, because of team-bhp!
Now most service centres know within minutes of starting a discussion, this is a no nonsense guy, so they don't push the things which they used to do earlier.

Even when I land up at car dealers, the sales representatives are surprised to know that the guy has more knowledge about their cars than them and most times they end up embarrassed because of they making tall claims!

I do feel at times, that having much knowledge is also harmful because, it's difficult to finalize a car when you start hunting for cars. I had to go on searching and at last had to make a rational compromise.You would have read about the minor niggles and poor service stories, that you get scared to buy cars other than from Maruti and Hyundai!

Multiple angles to car purchases :

- At what stage in life people buy cars? Early, Mid life, late etc
- Some buy cars first, then a house etc.
- Some do long term investment on priority. They may also do it because their means of daily transport would have been taken care-off.
- Some have seen cars right through their childhood and hence learn quite early. As a result they have the itch to buy one early
- Some buy only when they really feel the need to commute rather than for kicks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4061921)
Coming to our 800:- The car was heavily protected by grills and guards: there was a guard over the side indicators, the rear lamp cluster, a crash guard and even a grill for the rear quarter glass!

We also had grills for the brake light. Both the grill and the brake light broke when the handle of a bike hit it while passing by :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 4062032)
Some buy cars first, then a house etc.

I fall into this minority category. Looking back, I feel it was the dumbest decision of all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinojohnt (Post 4062052)
I fall into this minority category. Looking back, I feel it was the dumbest decision of all.

I wouldn't call it dumb as for many car is like a second home.

The thing that has changed over the years is concern for safety. I remember when I got my first car, used to go for long drives at like 2 am and on streets and highways poorly lit. Now don't even think about this.

One thing that's definitely changed is that we think of the car as the first most preferred mode of travel before looking at other options now, compared to the 1980's when dad bought his first car, an Ambassador which used to break down frequently. On ghat roads it would overheat for sure and dad was always scared of taking it out of city. An accident which was caused by brake failure on the Amby did not help matters.

Of course my dad is a total non car guy and never relished the thought of driving long distances. Moment I got my license things changed :).

I never knew car had hand brakes, I drove a neighbor's Maruti 800 for almost 10 kms with hand brakes engaged. At the end when I got out of the car, I sensed something was burning somewhere but I was way too naive to even link that smell to the car. Sigh. Miss those care free days!!

P.S.: Expenses were taken care of for the repairs and I was not careless because it was not my car, I just did not know the hand brake existed.

It is a very interesting thread. When we look back, we can laugh as well as get angry on people who took advantage of our lack of knowledge. I can relate to some things which others have shared.
1. Every accessory has to be purchased at dealer to avoid loss of warranty - even a mobile charger
2. Alignment and balancing of only two tires is ok to save cost
3. ABS is not required if you mostly drive in city

Cars Change
Yes, they have changed a great deal since I first started driving. Safety is now top of the agenda. Cars can produce a lot more power from a lot less displacement and are more efficient. They have gotten more feature-rich, and more difficult to repair DIY. Cars have got better at insulating us from the outside world, and from the oily bits inside it. They are insanely reliable, and are the cheapest items of high-tech engineering you can buy today.
What hasn't changed, at least for me, is the need for the feeling of "connection" with the car. The way a car makes me feel when I drive it, determines how I feel about it. Hence, whether the car is old or new, for me, it remains a very close competitor to the woman in my life.

The World Changes
The world of today is so much more crowded, with more and more people packed into mega cities. Resources are more thinly spread out, and we have a keen awareness of what humans are doing to the planet (mostly - not good news here). Bit by bit, we are beginning to rely more on technology and systems rather than human interaction to get things done.
Here, things have changed a great deal for me. Especially when it comes to how I view journeys. If it isn't purely for pleasure, the car is now just one of the many options to travel. Not the default option, as it used to be with my grandfather.

Have I changed?
Yes and No. My demands from the car I drive remain the same. Whether it be the 10-year-old Golf GTi I bought in 2000, or the brand new Figo I bought in 2010. My desire to customize for performance over and above looks have remained the same. I want a 'Q' car - something that looks frumpy & half-dead, but goes like stink.
But I now look for some creature comforts. I used to be proud that the Golf was pretty stripped down. But when I wanted to buy a new car recently, a lot of creature comforts suddenly became "must-have".
I don't do much DIY any more with my cars. I am less tolerant of failures.

And even today, every time I get in the car and turn the key, I want a new adventure to begin. Just like I used to when I was a teenager.

I don't have a big list to share except for one fact

A little over a decade ago, I knew everything about cars right from how an engine works, use of starter motor, how steering works, maintaining tire pressure & FE.

After buying one & having experienced accidents, ASC, independent garages, city & long drives...today, I think I know nothing about cars except that its a part of family

My first car - Premier Padmini, 1983 model, bought in 1989. I was 3rd owner and believe it or not, the car was originally registered in the name of Shabhana Azmi. It had individual front cup seats with height and backrest adjustments, floor gear (!), padded Momo style steering, purple tinted glass windows. Engine was immaculate and I drove around New Bombay and entire Bombay city for 3 years before I had to sell it as I was shifting to Kuwait. Those were the days when Jackey Shroff used to come to Big Splash driving his own heavily modded white Premier Padmini!

Since then I had been driving company provided pick up trucks, cars, SUVs etc. in the middle east. I had Ford Grand Marquis for about a couple of years, back in 1998 which had independent air suspensions and automatic tracking control. I had been driving even a Tercel for about 3 months in Saudi Arabia.
My second own car has been Cedia. Like they say 'minimum governance', and maximum driving pleasure.clap:
Now I am with my third own car Jetta with gadgets ad gizmos.

Yes, Life changed from 30's to 40's to 50's.
And cost of cars too - from INR. 64,000 for used car in 1989 to 9 Lakhs new car in 2007 to 20 Lakhs new car in 2016.
My driving habits - My wife says that's one thing never changed and I admit.;)

Well, I grew up during 90's when Cars were not as much advanced as they are today. But still I was infected with Car Fever by seeing whatever car that existed during those days.

The most advanced features we could see in a car during those days were tilt steering (Tata Estate), power windows (Contessa), Air conditioner, headlamp leveller and ofcourse a stereo Casette Player. Talk about the nomenclatures that we use today and probably my wild guess to relate them would be,

ABS - Always Brush before Sleep,
EBD - Exercise Before Dinner,
Air Bags - Bags used to pack luggage for travelling in an Air Plane,
ACC - A Cement Company,
Seat Belts (although present, but could never figure out its intended purpose) - To be used to hold extra luggage on to the seats.
Bluetooth - Probably a stage of dental decay.

Well we didnt own a car back then as dad never felt the need to own one in the hills. But I always loved the vehicles I saw on tv or on the streets and somehow fantasised on the features they may have. And some of my fantasies were really weird:

1) The Tata Sierra ad that used to come on tv, where this guy would come home from work was it? park it in the porch and go inside and in the meantime the car would take off on its own in the wild only to return all dirty. I used to get mesmerised with the very concept thinking it would be such fun to have a driver-less car.

2) The Maruti 1000 that was used in the tv show 'Commander'. I would simply drool over the car when he would park the car and switch on the parking lights. Don't know why I would do it. Maybe I was stupid back then to get excited seeing the 4 orange blinkers on at the same time.

3) Always wondered if a Shaktiman truck used by the Army was really indestructible. And if the tv show Street Hawk could beat it one-one.

4) Always wondered what magic Maruti vehicles have since they were so silent in front of the Ambys, Fiats and Mahindras

5) Always wondered why do Jeeps(the old 4X4 Jeeps, not Mahindras) had so many gears. But never had the guts to ask the strict neighbourhood uncle fearing a tight slap.

It is interesting to see how much has changed over the years, even though I am only 27 today.

Back in the day - fancy wheel covers, a CD Changer, neon underbody lights, etc. were quite the rage, and I was keen on decking our car like that. I even had a penchant for stickers. I used to wake up early, and help wash the car and even polish it in the parking lot.
My favourite pass-time would be to sit in the car and pretend as though I am driving it! Back then - the only selection criteria on buying a car was dependent on the performance figures and timings.

But then - I grew up and my learning increased, got a job, the market matured in terms of offerings and accessories, and the fuel prices went haywire. Dad too became older, and didn't end up driving around as often (whilst growing up, he had a Maruti 1000 with a 6 CD Changer, and a FFE - the jugaad types because there was no reputed FFE maker at that time).

What has resulted is that Safety, Fuel Economy, Comfort, Practicality etc. have taken precedence over just pure performance when it comes to car buying decisions - explaining why we are contemplating a Camry Hybrid to replace our E60 525D, or why the beater car is a Toyota Etios (at one point it was a Red Indica Petrol - PreV2, which was replaced by the Palio 1.6 GTX).
But some things haven't changed - is the urge to accessorise/customise my car (except that the end result wouldn't be as gaudy stupid: ), and the urge to have a F-U-N daily drive (except along with performance, safety too will be of importance).
Maybe as I grow older, and as traffic becomes more chaotic - the daily may turn into a Camry Hybrid or equivalent, but I just hope that there is a fun car still parked in the house for those nights and weekend runs!