Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Interesting discussion topic. In my opinion, it is a personal thing about which type of handle one likes/prefers. Talking about pull type handles being in vogue now, I am reminded of the HM Ambassador and Premier cars that came with pull type handles as well until the entry of the Maruti 800 which came with flap type handles
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 15:30   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Talking about pull type handles being in vogue now, I am reminded of the HM Ambassador and Premier cars that came with pull type handles as well until the entry of the Maruti 800 which came with flap type handles
Ambassadors and such had push button release door handles, not pull type. Those were deemed unsafe when rollovers caused accidental release of the lock.

Rescue professionals endorse pull type handles for ease of pulling doors open in the event of a crash over any other type.

Safety has dictated design for some companies more than others. Because there also exists some for whom style is paramount.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:20   #18
BHPian

Apart from looking modern and easy to use, the biggest advantage of pull type door handles for me is that on New Year's eve I can tie the threads of balloons on the handles and drive around India Gate and Connaught Place (Delhi)...

You simply can't do this with flap handles.
captain.torque is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:14   #19
BANNED

A look at these images clearly shows why the pull type handle is the favourite. Though not much difference in functionality, the flap type handle has "cheapness" written all over it, and has a feel of flimsiness.

It's just like the integrated head rest in cheaper cars compared to regular head rests. Or, cheap wheel caps compared to alloys.
Attached Thumbnails
Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-dr-handle.jpg  

Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-doorhandle_11.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd September 2016 at 17:34.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:34   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Flap type handles are easier for kids to open the door, especially if they are short. They can just lift their hands and lift the flap up to open the door.

Padmini's button type handle too is easy for kids as they use right hand finger to press the button and left hand to hold n pull the handle.
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:35   #21
BHPian

Good discussion. For those wanting to see the different door handles in use in the past and current, go through the article below by Torch. This talks about the two currently in discussion and also more (for lack of a better word) unique ones like the "Cheetah Claw" in the XUV to the hidden ones in the Corvette and Tesla.

Jalopnik.com The definitive classification guide to car door handles.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
A look at these images clearly shows why the pull type handle is the favourite. Though not much difference in functionality, the flap type handle has "cheapness" written all over it, and has a feel of flimsiness.
Well, this 'flap type' handle is a class apart..... I would say it 'beats' the pull type on aesthetics!

Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-kuv100.jpg

(This is KUV's).

Personally, I feel pull type handles are better, not just for the ease of opening, but also because it is convenient to hold it and keep the door open for people to get in, especially the elderly...

Last edited by vrprabhu : 23rd September 2016 at 18:53. Reason: clarity..
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have seen that some pull type handles require more force to open initially, than the flap type which is effortless to open (initial lift is softer).

The recessed insides of the pull type are prone to scratches from rings and were the only scratches in my Vento.

Ergonomically speaking, the flap type require your hand to twist, pull up and towards you to open the door whereas for pull type, you just require to pull. Sometimes with shopping bags in your hand, the pull type is so easy and especially if the car is having a request sensor for keyless entry.

Whatever the logic, my preference is the pull type just for the aesthetics more than ergonomics.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2016 at 12:38. Reason: Typo
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Padmini - Push button type
Nano - Flap type
Baleno - Pull Type

From all the above cars that I have owned, Flap type is the most easy one to open door without a doubt, since you open the door in almost one action here.
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I prefer the pull type handles as i feel it's more ergonomic and easier to use. and yeah, more in trend and feels upmarket. On the other hand, love the old chrome flap handles that old Toyota trucks used to have and hate poorly finished pull type handles that wiggles after heavy usage.

The other day dad said he preferred the clean look of the flap type handle to the pull type handle which protrudes too much in his opinion, and I was like
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 01:18   #26
BHPian

What do you guys think of the flat aerodynamic ones like the ones on the tesla model 3 and the nissan GTR?

holysmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 14:15   #27
Team-BHP Support

Pull-type door handle definitely has more grip which can be disadvantageous if you have naughty kids around -

Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-p_20160828_151754_1_p.jpg

He pulls on door handles so hard - it would seem that the handle will fall off, especially when the car is locked.

No such issues with my other car that has flap-type door handles. There just isn't enough grip for the little guy to pull hard.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 14:34   #28
BHPian

I have flap type handle on my Fiat Punto. I havent faced any problems so far with it. But everywhere in the reviews it gets bashed for being outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

It's just like the integrated head rest in cheaper cars compared to regular head rests. Or, cheap wheel caps compared to alloys.
I dont agree with the analogy provided here. There are better flap type handles provided by other manufacturers. In fact the flap type handle requires less effort to open the door.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th September 2016 at 15:13. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 26th September 2016, 14:50   #29
BHPian

Interesting discussion. Aesthetic elements like the door handles will have its pros and cons. They are pretty much like bell bottoms. Who knows, in a decade or so, we might see the flap type handles making a comeback!
Old 26th September 2016, 15:23   #30
BHPian

My vote goes to the pull type.

A door handle is the first component that the user comes into physical contact with. This contact stays for a very short duration but yet helps create a palpable impression of what this particular car is all about. Apart from the looks, it is pretty important that the handle provides a positive feeling when operated so that the user builds up a positive surmise about the levels of creature comfort within this short contact duration.

The flap type handle stay flushed within the door panel and appear neat. However the area that comes into contact with the users while being operated, is quite small (only to the extent of finger tips). Even a better grade material used here stands a weaker chance to impress upon users due to short area of contact. It is usually written off / goes unnoticed and often forgotten once the user gets inside.

The Grab type / Pull type handle, on the other hand, fills the entire palm and therefore stands in a better position to exude greater comfort while being operated. Since the user is subjected to the entire handle surface, a better material if used would provide greater luxury in operation hence earn attention. It is therefore understandable as why the manufacturers of luxury cars place importance on providing better handles.

Although not all grab type / pull type handles are always comfortable and the quality of material used, fit and finish plays a more important role in defining the feel good factor; for e.g. The grab handles on my erstwhile Vista screamed cheap and were not at all pleasurable to hold.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 26th September 2016 at 15:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks