Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-flapvspulldoorhandles.jpg

I have noticed many times on this forum, that many members have expressed extreme hatred towards flap type door handles on newly launched cars. Even the mods sometimes mention this as a con in the review if a new car comes with (the outdated) flap type door handles, instead of (the modern) pull type door handles.

I would genuinely like to understand what is the difference between the two types of door handles and why one is considered outdated and the other is considered modern.

From my personal experience, I prefer the flap type door handles on my existing car (i10) for following reasons:
1. It is much more convenient to put your fingers below the flap and pull it, rather than having to put your fingers into the pull type handle from the top.
2. The inside of the flaps are always clean and dry, no matter how dirty or wet your car may be, same is not the case for pull type handles.
3. I may be wrong on this one, but I feel that flap type handles make the car more aerodynamic
4. Pull type door handles are more prone to scratches in tight parking places, since they protrude out of the car's body.
5. This may be a matter of personal prefernce, but I feel that flap type door handles give a cleaner look to the car.

Your thoughts please.

Rohan

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2016 at 19:33. Reason: Adding a picture ;)
rohan_iitr is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I would genuinely like to understand what is the difference between the two types of door handles and why one is considered outdated and the other is considered modern.
I have flap type door handles in my car, and pull type in the Xcent. Haven't noticed any major advantages worth a discussion.

However, from an aesthetics point of view, pull type is more 90's as a design trend now. Fashion moves on, and sometimes it doesn't need a valid reason to do so.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2016 at 11:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:25   #3
BHPian

I have raised the same question on couple of occasions in this forum. E.g.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3731271

AFAIK, there's no explanation given by anyone, so I assumed it is more of a trend thing than anything to do usefulness.
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It's just like saying that is slim-fit dresses are in fashion, a normal fit dress is simply unacceptable. Even if both the dresses look good, have excellent fit and finish and function as desired. Sometimes it feels we always go with the flow (herd mentality) rather than question our preferences.

PS: I have numerous instances where I hated the "in trend" things. Eg: in the auto field, I hate touch screen music systems and consider them a hazard.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

I always prefer pull type handle. This inspires more confidence and provide a better grip. In wet conditions flap handles are more slippery. Also for flap you have to lift and pull, where as just pull in pull handles.

Last edited by poloman : 23rd September 2016 at 11:41.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Honestly, this feels more like a personal preference than a factual pros and cons argument.

Quote:
1. It is much more convenient to put your fingers below the flap and pull it, rather than having to put your fingers into the pull type handle from the top.
Try opening a heavier door (eg - VW, Skoda, Fiat, Ford) which opens in 3 stages with a flap type and a pull type door handle. You'll understand which one is more convenient.

Quote:
2. The inside of the flaps are always clean and dry, no matter how dirty or wet your car may be, same is not the case for pull type handles.
Not really.

Quote:
3. I may be wrong on this one, but I feel that flap type handles make the car more aerodynamic
I hope you are joking with this one.

Quote:
4. Pull type door handles are more prone to scratches in tight parking places, since they protrude out of the car's body.
Most of the cars that we buy today, the widest part will be the wheel arches and the lower part of the body. Pretty sure that the body will get scratched before the door handles.

Quote:
5. This may be a matter of personal preference, but I feel that flap type door handles give a cleaner look to the car.
Personal preference. I beg to differ.

Nowadays, the flap type door handles are seen on cars built to a cost or on older platforms. Internationally, they have been laid to rest over decades and that is why it is usually mentioned in the 'cons' section.

Last edited by Porschefire : 23rd September 2016 at 11:35.
Porschefire is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP reviews are the only place where I have seen this difference pointed out again and again. Flap types were the older designs more reminiscent of the 90s which is why all contemporary cars with these type of handles raise an eyebrow. But some of the best designs in recent times such as the earlier generation Punto and the Jazz had the flap type handles while my old Uno had the newer style pull handles and it was way older than these cars. So go figure.

Last edited by GTO : 26th September 2016 at 12:34. Reason: Typo
SPARKled is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

My Linea & Nano, both have flap type door handles.

The disadvantages is that the excessive upward force we may apply sometimes has caused the chrome cover to loosen & fall off (happened twice for my Linea).

In the pull type, any excessive outward force will just open the door.

Thus, over its life, the pull type faces less stress (& can thus be made from low cost plastic), whereas the flip type will go through more stress & may need to be made of higher quality plastic that costs abit more. I guess this could be one of the main points.

Moreover, the pull type feels more intuitive & modern.

Funnily, the flip type handle in my Nano is abit differently designed than my Linea. It only needs to be pulled outward & the excess stress seems to get transmitted to pulling the door open.

Yesterday I went to Vecto Motors for service camp. Checked the new Punto Evo and the flip type mechanism felt that the pull was outward, not upward (also, found the new Punto to have seemingly lighter doors than the older models).

I guess Linea owners will notice the discomfort.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd September 2016 at 11:45.
GrammarNazi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From my personal experience, I prefer the flap type door handles on my existing car (i10) for following reasons:
I find the later more convenient, a matter of personal choice, really.
Quote:
So...? The insides are always dirty in most cars and my fingers get soiled. Not everyone cleans those thoroughly.
Quote:
I am not the right person to judge aerodynamics that closely.
Quote:
Isn't that a bit extreme? Your ORVM or (car's) lower waistline should be the one to make first contact.
Quote:
5. This may be a matter of personal prefernce, but I feel that flap type door handles give a cleaner look to the car.
I feel otherwise, it simply looks dated. Not many modern cars have the flap type door handles as well.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice thread and points but are bound to attract both positive and negative remarks and I am already seeing quite some interesting and really useful ones.

I have no qualms against the flap type and we have one Etios with the same which does not pose any problems whatsoever in operating the same.

However, purely from the purpose of the door handles alone, one can see that the pull type door handles would provide more grip be it light, heavy and/or staged doors.

Sometimes in my Innova, the doors remain shut even after pulling the handles with casual force. This happens because of the rubber beading inside door creates quite a suction with the body frame, especially in wet days and keeps the door shut. Elderly and children alike find opening it difficult in those times. But a little pull with the pull type handles and it opens nicely reassuringly. Consider flap type here and they are bound to slip out of hand without giving much grip to open the door.

While there may be personal liking or preferences towards either, pull type definitely give that pull grip to pull the handles and open door with assurance.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:25   #11
BANNED

Pull type door handles are considered premium mainly due to the popularisation by Mercedes-Benz who switched to them in all their cars long ago.

But image apart, pull type are considered better from a safety point of view. A side impact on the door, on or near the handle will render most other types unusable.

It has nothing to do with aesthetics or ease of use.

Cheers.

Last edited by gthang : 23rd September 2016 at 12:27. Reason: Edit
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:30   #12
BHPian

My Chevy beat has a flap type door handle. And it is "relatively" difficult to open the front door fully (a 3 stage opening mechanism) as compared to cars with a pull type handle. The rear door have a vertical flap handle, more like a pull type because of the placement, and is definitely easier to open than the front door.
Plus, a flap type door handle require us to put our fingers up from the lower side and pull. Something which is difficult (ask a child)
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:54   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I always prefer pull type handle. This inspires more confidence and provide a better grip. In wet conditions flap handles are more slippery. Also for flap you have to lift and pull, where as just pull in pull handles.
+1. Well said, Poloman. Pull-type handles offer a far superior grip.

@ rohan_iitr, nothing against them, except for the fact that they look outdated. I like fintail designs too, but their time has gone:
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Pull type handles allow you to place request sensors on them for keyless entry.

Ergonomically speaking, don't you think its easier for the hand to go from up to down for gripping the pull type handles than going down to up to grip the flap type handles? Also pull type handles allow you open the door and hold the door in position by gripping the handle for say an old person or children to get in or get out. Not so easy with flap type ones.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd September 2016 at 13:19.
Santoshbhat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the above, flap handles sometimes pinch finger tips. Also, those are easy to break in to access the door lock.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed