Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

This is what i think.

Flap type handles rely on precision grip to a larger extent.
Pull type handles rely on power grip.

People with certain nervous issues may find power grip easy to handle.

Also, Pull type handle comes handy for disabled access. one would just need to hook the handle and pull it to get the doors opened.
Old 27th September 2016, 11:31   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I hope you are joking with this one.
I don't understand what the joke is. Care to elaborate?

As a matter of fact, the OP might have a point. Flap type handles sit flush with the body, and may aid aerodynamically (The OP was not making a blanket statement either; he invited discussion, not criticism!). I can remember atleast one car manufacturer (Tesla) publicizing the use of flush-fitting door handles aiding aerodynamics. And a simple google search throws up results in favour of this argument. There's even a patent filed by a popular car manufacturer in this regard.

Go figure!
srinath.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 12:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Our Beat has Flap type and Figo has Pull type. I don't see any particular difference while using both. But one thing what I observed in our parking is that the Pull type of Maruti Swift is causing more dents to other cars parked around.
Old 27th September 2016, 14:21   #49
BHPian

Just my personal opinion to add here. Pull type handles are a lot less cumbersome to clean than the undersides of a flap type during monsoons especially after a dirty highway run. Vehicles in comparison (My Micra Active Vs Dad's Wagon R). I also find the pull type of the Micra more ergonomic requiring less effort to open especially when your hands are full of bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Isn't that a bit extreme? Your ORVM or (car's) lower waistline should be the one to make first contact.
I completely agree with this! However, I read this thread yesterday and today a Chevy Enjoy caught my attention on the road. Taxi walla had his mirror closed and the pull handles seemed to be the only thing protruding from the body!
Old 27th September 2016, 15:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Ergonomically speaking, don't you think its easier for the hand to go from up to down for gripping the pull type handles than going down to up to grip the flap type handles?
I think the easiest one would be the Omni type vertical handle (without the button, of course). Notice that your palm would be (almost) vertical when you lift your arm forward.
Old 27th September 2016, 18:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, the way this discussion is going on (sure sprinkled with so much of science), I wish Merc or BMW to come up with handle-less doors (like keyless entry). It could be voice activated or touch sensor to open and auto-close!
Old 27th September 2016, 18:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I can remember atleast one car manufacturer (Tesla) publicizing the use of flush-fitting door handles aiding aerodynamics. And a simple google search throws up results in favour of this argument. There's even a patent filed by a popular car manufacturer in this regard.

Go figure!
The speeds which these passenger cars do is too low for any aerodynamics from the flap type to come into play. That is the joke I believe.

Either way most cars these days have a crease running through the body and the pull type occupies that spot in the door.

Main problem with Flap type is in cold conditions. Becomes very difficult to open it especially when it has been snowing outside and the vehicle hasn't been used for sometime.

Pull type, basically aids in the effort since the pull takes care of the lock and the pulling mechanism in one-go.
Old 28th September 2016, 01:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Attachment 1558236

I have noticed many times on this forum, that many members have expressed extreme hatred towards flap type door handles on newly launched cars.
Rohan
Hi Rohan,
Interesting discussion thread. I personally feel the handle type looks better, is easier to grip and hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

Try opening a heavier door (eg - VW, Skoda, Fiat, Ford) which opens in 3 stages with a flap type and a pull type door handle. You'll understand which one is more convenient.
Porshefire ; Thats a very valid point you have made. The handle grip is more ergonimically suited to our body's action to grap and pull ( for the handle grip ) as vs the Life + Pull action action of the wrist.
Old 28th September 2016, 08:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

I saw the pull type for the first time in my life in 1992 in a Merc that came to our complex in Delhi. I was impressed by the simplest of mechanism and use to wonder that why all cars don't have the same.

Now as they have become relatively common, I was kind of felt justified by what I felt then.

The slightly more power that is required for opening by flap handles is the reason for my preference of pull type handles.
Old 28th September 2016, 09:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

In 90's people used to lock the driver's door by pressing the lock from inside and close the door with holding the flap up. However, many times people left the key in the ignition and locked the door in this method. I myself have done it twice (in Tercel and Corolla 1998), both times left the engine on and locked the door in this method. Then called the office and got somebody bring over the spare key to open the door. It was dangerous and thankful they got rid of those flap type doors later and shifted to hold type handles. However, now that we are in the keyless entry era, this problem becomes redundant.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 09:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
In 90's people used to lock the driver's door by pressing the lock from inside and close the door with holding the flap up. However, many times people left the key in the ignition and locked the door in this method...thankful they got rid of those flap type doors later and shifted to hold type handles...
Mechanism works the same in Pull-type handles, it is an inherent mechanism not to do with Flap-type ones.
Old 28th September 2016, 09:52   #57
BANNED

Quote:
In 90's people used to lock the driver's door by pressing the lock from inside and close the door with holding the flap up. However, many times people left the key in the ignition and locked the door in this method.
The "hold the handle" to lock feature is designed to prevent accidental lock of the door.

Force of habit leading to error should not be blamed on the feature.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 10:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Mechanism works the same in Pull-type handles, it is an inherent mechanism not to do with Flap-type ones.
Yes, but it is difficult to hold a pull type handle and lock the door, while it became almost spontaneous to do so with flap types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
The "hold the handle" to lock feature is designed to prevent accidental lock of the door.

Force of habit leading to error should not be blamed on the feature.

Cheers
Press the door lock from inside and close the door from outside in itself is a not so brilliant 'feature', which leads to keyless locking! And to avoid accidental lock, one has to hold the flap! In essense, keyless entry is good but only keyless locking is bad.
Old 28th September 2016, 16:14   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In 90's people used to lock the driver's door by pressing the lock from inside and close the door with holding the flap up. However, many times people left the key in the ignition and locked the door in this method. I myself have done it twice.....
One can be accidentally locked out of the vehicle if they close the door by locking it from inside.

To prevent that companies started to give the feature, that the locks open themselves if closed, and one needs to consciously hold the handle to keep it locked.

To blame that featured for our fault is just plain ignorance. (I myself have been locked out with the key inside)

The proper way is to lock only with the keys , to hold the flap up and lock it is just misuse from our part of a feature that the companies have provided (Locked out of a car is safer than leaving the car unlocked)
Old 28th September 2016, 17:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Press the door lock from inside and close the door from outside in itself is a not so brilliant 'feature', which leads to keyless locking! And to avoid accidental lock, one has to hold the flap!

This is not the case with Palio. Even if you press the door lock from inside (while getting out of the car), the central locking will not be activated i.e. the doors can be locked only with keys.

A couple of things which came to my mind, during this debate -

a. Is the unlocking of the car, especially the keyless door opening types (I see the sensor only on the driver side) possible from passenger side also?

b. A couple of years ago there were a spate of car thefts. The modus operandi reported was the handle was broken to disable the lock, and the broken handles were pull type. (In M800, the rear quarter glass was removed, after which the rear door could be opened)

Most Viewed