Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 08:52   #1
Team-BHP Support

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH

In the past we had covered on how all regional transport offices managed by various state governments managed vehicle registration and license issuance for citizens. Detailed thread here: Link.. The portals were amateurish and felt like they were designed by school students without any form or function. The information provided though was quite useful for identifying our vehicle registrations. The driving license information website continued to have improper / incomplete information.

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH-google_search.jpg

Link to the revamped website.

Under the ambit of Digital India, the central government decided to revamp the entire portal and converge all fragmented databases into a single portal to make information reliable and available. The government has been able to achieve 100% automation of 1000+ RTOs across the country. About 19.6 crore vehicle records and 9.2 crore driving license records have been consolidated into a central database. What's more, the portal is now much more secure than the previous one that did not have valid SSL certificates either.

SSL certificate used isn't from a cheap vendor either :

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH-cert.jpg

The most interesting bits for us enthusiasts are two dashboards that provide statistical information on vehicle registrations from 1989 onwards on Vahan2 and 2006 onwards on Vahan4. I am yet to explore the difference between the two:

- Vahan2
- Vahan4

While taking delivery of my new car a couple of weeks back, the car dealer informed me that they do not have to make a visit to the RTO anymore. All they do is login to the dealer portal of Parivahan and enter all relevant vehicle data into the portal. Payment of fees is done online and a registration number is issued pronto. The dealer thereafter collects and submits all documents weekly to the RTO to complete the process. This is in my opinion is a much more efficient system and takes all agents out of the gambit of getting work done in a government department.

I haven't had the need to try any of the available online services as yet but if any of you would like to give it a try, do visit:

Vahan online services.

Sarathi online services.

If you do not have anything to deal with from the online services options, do try searching for your vehicle details online:

Vehicle RC information.

Driving license information.

I believe this is a good step forward although a lot of improvements and enhancements can be made to the site. The first version as we see is functional enough and a giant leap forward for the transport departments.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th February 2018 at 11:35. Reason: Correcting links
moralfibre is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 08:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene Section.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th September 2016 at 09:03.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 10:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The government has been able to achieve 100% automation of 1000+ RTOs across the country. About 19.6 crore vehicle records and 9.2 crore driving license records have been consolidated into a central database.
This is really good - particularly since it is pan-India, and not per-state. Who knows? Maybe its the first tenuous step towards easier management of road tax for cars - one can only hope.

Quote:
While taking delivery of my new car a couple of weeks back, the car dealer informed me that they do not have to make a visit to the RTO anymore.
I thought the larger dealers anyway had a representative of the RTO drop in for registration at the dealer's premises? I could be mistaken, however. Now if only we could find a way to prevent dealers from having to drive our brand vehicles from their stockyard to dealership, that'll be the icing - anything to keep their grubby fingers off our new car!

Quote:
do try searching for your vehicle details online:
Vehicle RC information.
[url=https://parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus/vahan/dlstatus.xhtml] Driving license information.
RC information is correct, and correctly reflects the new owner of my Getz that was sold in May 2016 (unlike BTIS, which tended to show the original owner).

DL information is not available for my DL - I presume that's because my DL was issued at the Ooty RTO in 2000, and is not a smart card. I don't get any error message, the page just sits there.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 11:15   #4
BHPian

The link for Driving licence details only has the data as on which the license was first issued.
In my case my DL was issued in Karnataka first with Motorcycle with Gear, and later added LMV.
The parivahan link only shows MCWG, and not the LMV endorsement.
cooljai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 12:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Parivahan Sewa - portal with centralized road transport data

Big shoutout to Moralfibre for sharing this information!

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH) has launched a new Parivahan Sewa website, under the central government's Digital India mission. It is a centralized database of RTO records of various states. The ministry had earlier opened the Vaahan and Sarathi portals, which showcased a similar accumulation of data from various RTOs. But these portals were RTO-centric and were thus unorganized, and had improper / incomplete information. These limitations have now been addressed by the new Parivahan Sewa website that has converged all fragmented databases into a single portal.

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH-1.jpg

Under the Parivahan Sewa portal, the government has managed to achieve 100% automation of over 1,000 RTOs in the country. The portal claims to have over 19.6 crore vehicle records and 9.2 crore driving licence records in its database. RTO users can now access the system through a secured log-in and authentication. Dealerships too have been given a dedicated dealer portal on the website that helps them enter all relevant vehicle data and generate the vehicle registration number instantly. Even the registration fees can be paid online. This has minimized the need to visit Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) regularly, as the dealer can submit all required documents on a weekly basis to complete the registration process.

Additionally, citizens can access classified information about their vehicles and licenses by entering the required details in the Online Services section of the website. Detailed information about various RTO procedures has been mentioned on the portal, including license, permits and registration procedures.

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH-2.jpg

Additionally, there is a dashboard section that showcases the statistical data and trends of vehicle registrations over a period of time. This shows the number of vehicle registrations, total revenue collection, number of permits issued, fuel-wise split of vehicles sold and classification of types of vehicles registered. RTO-wise data can be seen by selecting your state from a drop-down menu.

Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH-capture.jpg

The government is aiming to implement the centralized database throughout the country in the coming months.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 28th September 2016 at 12:43.
dZired is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:25   #6
BHPian

I have a suggestion, I noticed that the website does not have a captcha (The text that we type which is displayed in an image to prove that we are humans) to prevent automatic mass queries from machines. Anybody could download huge chunks of data from this database and slow down the website. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by GTO : 29th September 2016 at 10:10. Reason: Language
Whiplash7 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 28th September 2016, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The information provided though was quite useful for identifying our vehicle registrations. The driving license information website continued to have improper / incomplete information.
Quote:
If you do not have anything to deal with from the online services options, do try searching for your vehicle details online:
Vehicle RC information.
Driving license information.

I believe this is a good step forward although a lot of improvements and enhancements can be made to the site. The first version as we see is functional enough and a giant leap forward for the transport departments
This is really good step taken by the government. However, I wish there is some basic level of security feature built in to protect the privacy. For example : In addition to Registration number, last five digits of Chassis No. should be entered to be get the info. Similarly, along with DL number, Date of Birth should be entered.

Still this site is better than some state RTO websites, which display Father's Name and Address in addition to vehicle RC details.

Quote:
All they do is login to the dealer portal of Parivahan and enter all relevant vehicle data into the portal.
This was much needed. Now the cases of every car being mentioned as 'Saloon' or 'Sedan' or incorrect variant/ colour/ weight etc. in RC will be minimized.

From my rightly placed sources, I heard that a system is being proposed where only Chassis & Engine number needs to be entered and rest data will be automatically pulled from OEM's side. This is still in infant stage and the primary hiccup is the multiplicity of database management systems and configurations used by different OEMs.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:55   #8
BHPian

I tried to use the website by applying for a LL. When selected State - Maharashtra, all it shows is RTO-Kolhapur. That is the only RTO available.
I believe that government websites have always been half hearted attempts.
Even irctc.co.in improved themselves after public outrage.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:56   #9
BHPian

Good move. Earlier we couldn't search the vehicle details registered under Rajasthan RTO. Now it's possible.

But the RC information link isn't opening right now.

Oh, my bad, must be the lunch break!
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 14:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is a good initiative no doubt but am sure the database is not fully exhaustive and doesn't contain details of all vehicles registered in the country. As an example, details for my 13 year old Esteem and 11 year old Unicorn are not to be found on the site. However, the details of a 14 year old car of a friend is available.

Also, the same info can be accessed through the android mobile App 'Vahan Info'. I have it on my mobile and it comes in handy
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 14:32   #11
BHPian

The RC status worked for me and it gave the correct details.

However, i tried the 'pay your tax' thing in online services and it keeps giving "invalid registration and chassis no. combination"!! This is probably where the beta of VAHAN 4.0(Beta) comes in.
Old 28th September 2016, 14:57   #12
BHPian

It doesn't seem to have data from many states. I checked for the details of our car in Kerala and it says "Registration does not exist". Checked most of the RTO's in Kerala and every time, it failed to fetch the data.
Old 28th September 2016, 15:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Works for my vehicles and license. They dont have a link to home page from both these links and also the pictures that they show on the main page has one highway that is not in India
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 16:07   #14
BHPian

I think the big step is centralization of all the data. This can be put to good use for tracing ownership details and detect fraud, People using two wheeler registration numbers on cars.

However, incomplete data is still the issue. My DL was issued in 2001 for MCWG and in 2007 LMV was added. On the website, it only shows LMV!
Old 28th September 2016, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Excellent news, works for my vehicles and Indian license. The usability can definitely be improved ( case in point: on the RC status page , they can give a small example in italics), a great start for sure.

Most Viewed