Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2016, 10:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo 1.5L Diesel launched at Rs. 6.33 lakh

Brilliant pricing by VW and probably just goes to show how serious VW are with this sub 4m launch in India

Any which way one looks at it, a Hatch with a boot scores psychologically over the one without in India.

This is a mix of GOOD & BAD news for VW. The Ameo may carve out a niche within its own segment, but May Be it may just have finished off the GT TDI.

Even if the 1.5 GT TDI is updated to this 110PS engine, I don't see it having any takers over the Ameo 1.5 TDI which now gets the DSG. WOW !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Fantastic Pricing ! I wont be Amaze'd if people have the Dzire to buy the Ameo with this pricing. Pardon my Xcent !
Mindblowingly put together karanraheja.
Old 1st October 2016, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not to be a fly in the ointment here but doesn't it mean that VW were ripping off customers who were buying the GT twins all these years?

Or does it mean they have decreased the quality of parts in Ameo so much that they are able to offer it at this price?

Either way, more option for the customer in the end. Long live competition.
Old 1st October 2016, 11:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Even if the 1.5 GT TDI is updated to this 110PS engine, I don't see it having any takers over the Ameo 1.5 TDI which now gets the DSG. WOW !!
You seem to have a lot of Zest for the Ameo ! .

VW is way too late to the party of Sub 4m but I hope they manage to get some decent nos. with this launch.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:29. Reason: Typo
karanraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 11:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Not to be a fly in the ointment here but doesn't it mean that VW were ripping off customers who were buying the GT twins all these years?
The GT TSi has a completely imported engine. The engine in this car is being assembled in India. So no they were not ripping people off at least for the TSi. As for the GT TDi, it was obviously overpriced especially after being downsized to 1.5l when they did not pass off the excise benefits to the customer.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st October 2016 at 11:11.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 11:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

There are too many updates to the TDI engines since the past 3 years.

Polo 1.2 Tdi to 1.6 GT Tdi and back to 1.5 Tdi. Should we assume the Ameo with 1.5 Tdi is the last update? I feel VW updating its models and features too frequently, making the older versions outdated within 2-3 years of launch.
Old 1st October 2016, 11:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

So, are the Polos overpriced or the Ameo discounted as of now?! Either way, good for the customers. My friend was raving about the Vento TDi DSG and kept on telling me he has never driven something like that. He also bought it for the drive pleasure it offers.

Looking forward to the TD report now. I think it's just time they update the Polo with the new turbocharger and also give some discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Fantastic Pricing ! I wont be Amaze'd if people have the Dzire to buy the Ameo with this pricing. Pardon my Xcent !
Or dare I say

I wont be Amaze'd if people Aspire or have the Zest & Dzire to buy the Ameo with this pricing. Pardon my Xcent ! (I think that covers all)
swiftnfurious is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 11:45   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Or, GT TDi should be updated as a DSG variant. Don't see any reason not to, considering the price point at which the Ameo has been launched at.

Would be a good move since many people purchase the GT TSi primarily for that gearbox.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 15:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Or, GT TDi should be updated as a DSG variant. Don't see any reason not to, considering the price point at which the Ameo has been launched at.
I don't see that happening, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. VW India's strategy seems be like this: they don't want to confuse customers too much and thus clearly demarcate their products.

As in, let's say someone wants to buy a Jetta with a DSG. He has no choice but to buy a Jetta diesel. I feel this also helps differentiate between Skoda and VW products.

Similarly, only the polo TSi comes with a DSG and TDi only comes with a manual gearbox. Even the upcoming GTi comes with 2 doors. So, a person considering a primary/practical/powerful hatch won't/can't buy a GTi, instead of a GT.

Since this is a Ameo thread, I feel obligated to say something about Ameo. I feel Ameo is the most ugliest VW car in my perspective. I am sure the market will disagree with me. If they only designed the Ameo to be compact notchback/sportback, it could've been quite a pretty sight.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 1st October 2016 at 15:47.
Old 1st October 2016, 15:56   #24
BHPian

Volkswagen Ameo 1.5L Diesel launched at Rs. 6.33 lakh

Kudos to VW for the price points of the Ameo, I do know people who have been waiting for the Diesel DSG, many of them were rejoicing on the prices. I spoke to the dealer, the TD car will be available in 2 weeks and deliveries start in 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:30. Reason: Typo
Old 1st October 2016, 15:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I feel Ameo is the most ugliest VW car in my perspective. I am sure the market will disagree with me.
+1. Looks are definitely not the USP of ameo, unlike Polo. But, people expect typical VW like build quality, which can be its USP. I am assuming VW knows it and hence they have priced it aggressively.

Now, its the survival of the fittest among the minnows ( Aspire, Amaze ,Ameo and Zest). To be honest, it is an achievement if all these put together sell at least 1/3rd of the monthly sales of Dzire.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 1st October 2016 at 16:01.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 16:18   #26
BHPian

Comparison between Zest, Dzire & Ameo

Volkswagen Ameo 1.5L Diesel launched at Rs. 6.33 lakh-comparison.jpg

Volkswagen Ameo 1.5L Diesel launched at Rs. 6.33 lakh-comparo-1.jpg

The Ameo HL is certainly the most VFM diesel AT.

It has the following over the Zest & Dzire

Feature list

# ESP & Hill hold
# Rear A/C vents
# Telescopic steering adjustment
# All 4 windows with one touch up-down and anti pinch
# Rear camera
# Front center arm rest
# Cruise control
# Rain sensing wipers
# Auto IRVM
# Foldable rear seat back rest

Engine & Transmission

# 20 PS & 35 PS more than the Zest & Dzire respectively
# Significantly higher torque at lesser RPM - 50 NM & 60NM more torque developed @ 250 RPM & 500 RPM earlier than the Zest & Dzire respectively
# Technically advanced 7 speed Dual clutch transmission compared to basic 5 speed AMTs

All these at just Rs. 76K & Rs. 74K more than the Zest & Dzire

The Ameo HL DSG is the most value for money buy in the compact diesel AT sedan segment. The Ameo simply leaves the Zest & Dzire in dust

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2016 at 17:11.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 16:24   #27
BHPian

Sensible pricing and should sell well, meaning I'll get to see one on road finally

Besides, if every second vehicle we encounter on the road has to be these ugly Compact Sedans, then I'd take the VW ugly any day. This one hurts a bit more though, since the hatch is a timeless beauty even after so many years. Seen from that perspective, maybe the premium the Polo commands is justified

One thing has to be said though. During the launch of Vento DSG many had commented that VW is taking a big risk getting this troublesome gearbox to the masses. It seems the gamble has paid off else VW wouldn't have risked getting it further downstream. It would be great to know the long term experience of BHPians owning the Vento/Rapid DSG, because if the reliability is sorted then the Ameo begins to make a lot of sense!
Old 1st October 2016, 16:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

The Ameo HL DSG is the most value for money buy in the compact diesel AT sedan segment. The Ameo simply leaves the Zest & Dzire in dust
IMHO, they should also bring in the free 4 or 5 year service and 4 year warranty like Skoda. This will ensure those cars are sold without much of a problem.

Having a Vento at home, the only thing people ask us about is the service cost. People still feel it's expensive although per km cost is the same as the Hyundai's!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 19:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hot dang!! Why the hell does VW need the GTs or rather why would anybody in his right mind spend money on the GT TDI especially. The Ameo is better equipped and almost as fast as the GT TDI.

Now are they going to phase out the GT TDI or launch it with a more powerful engine?

I think the Ameo is going to cannibalise sales from the Polo. Other than the hatch back being slightly smaller, I am not quite sure why the Polo TDI should be chosen over the Ameo. So sales may remain more or less the same.

I think the Ameo would have been a wild success in it's current state if they had freed up an inch or two of leg room at the back which is it's biggest Archilles heel.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 1st October 2016, 19:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
IMHO, they should also bring in the free 4 or 5 year service and 4 year warranty like Skoda. This will ensure those cars are sold without much of a problem.

Having a Vento at home, the only thing people ask us about is the service cost. People still feel it's expensive although per km cost is the same as the Hyundai's!
Having had a Vento for almost 4 years, I can safely say the service expenses are not more than what I spent for my Swift over an identical period. Touch wood!

Such was the confidence it inspired that when we were looking for a hatch for my wife, we couldn't look beyond VW. She drives the GT TSI now!

Simply no other car has that build quality in this segment.
sunsetorange is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed