Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 11:57   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
40 lacs on road would be way overpriced. Tiguan has a few fatal flaws:
  • Significantly lower powered engine than competition (143 HP/340 NM versus 190hp/400NM on the X1 and 180 hp/380NM on the Q3)
  • Misses hand-operated controller such as iDrive. This is traditionally easier and safer to use than directly operating the touchscreen.
  • No differentiating features such as Active Info Display
  • Most importantly, VW is not seen as a premium brand in India, it is seen as a key player in compact hatches and sub-4m sedans with an average cost of 6-7 Lacs. Absolutely zero snob value. My hair stylist drives a VW a well (polo). In contrast, the lowest priced product offered by BMW or Audi or Benz is upwards of Rs. 30 lacs
This means the Tiguan would be dead on arrival at a Rs. 40 lac price tag. I am hoping for an introductory price around 26-27 lacs ex-showroom (32/33 lacs on road) for the highline - at this price, it makes sense.
Yup, Completely agree with you!
I would say that anything higher than 30L onroad is crazy for the Tiguan and completely unjustified.
It seems VW is getting unrealistic with their pricing or is deliberately giving high figures to their sales teams initially and the later may launch at a surprise price.
If you see the 25 Lac price, the Yeti was a great car (I had one for 6 years and recently sold mine. I had bought mine in Dec 2010 for 15.4 lacs onroad!) though cheaper options like Creta and Duster completely killed it. Even now, if VW again launches a 5 seater at 30L +, they will again be nowhere.

VW needs to open their eyes, ears and listen to the Indian market. There is a good space available for 5 seater 4x4 Monocoque crossovers, but mostly in the 20-25 Lac ex-showroom price point. Anything higher than this is going to 7 Seater Body on Frame 4x4 SUVs territory like Endeavour and Fortuner. If VW thinks that it can beat the Fortuner with a 5 seater Crossover, it is completely mistaken and it just would not fly.
If VW thinks that it can sell against the BMWs, Mercs and Audis (also from the VW stable), then again it is mistaken, as it carries no where near the brand image.

To me, it feels that VW should price in the 20-25 Lac range (ex-showroom) and not any higher than this.
Then with the Skoda Kodiaq, they can target the 25-30 Lac range.
They should have some coherence between the price positioning of their brands Skoda, VW and Audi in India, as otherwise they will just compete with each other and not give any incremental sales.

Just my 2 cents, and no offense to all VW owners!

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th May 2017 at 12:00.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:40   #137
BHPian

Quote:
40 lacs on road would be way overpriced. Tiguan has a few fatal flaws:

• Significantly lower powered engine than competition (143 HP/340 NM versus 190hp/400NM on the X1 and 180 hp/380NM on the Q3)
  • Misses hand-operated controller such as iDrive. This is traditionally easier and safer to use than directly operating the touchscreen.
  • No differentiating features such as Active Info Display
  • Most importantly, VW is not seen as a premium brand in India, it is seen as a key player in compact hatches and sub-4m sedans with an average cost of 6-7 Lacs. Absolutely zero snob value. My hair stylist drives a VW a well (polo). In contrast, the lowest priced product offered by BMW or Audi or Benz is upwards of Rs. 30 lacs

This means the Tiguan would be dead on arrival at a Rs. 40 lac price tag. I am hoping for an introductory price around 26-27 lacs ex-showroom (32/33 lacs on road) for the highline - at this price, it makes sense.
Couldn't agree more. 26 - 28 lacs is what I am expecting the HL to be priced at. Anything higher, and you have to start looking at the Germans. No matter what the car offers (unless it does offer the R-line features), once it's price reaches that of the Germans, it's the Germans that start looking like the better option.

Anyway, eagerly awaiting the launch and more than that, the Teambhp review. My buying decision hinges on how our resident experts rate it.

Last edited by sunny310c : 15th May 2017 at 13:41.
Old 17th May 2017, 07:36   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

As launch nears, Volkswagen updates its portal again Tiguan - A premium car!

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-11.jpg

Quote:
The adventure you always imagined, will soon be a reality!

The New Tiguan will arrive soon...

You will soon discover a side of you that imagines an adventure at every corner, with the new Tiguan. A premium car that boasts of efficient handling on any terrain, strikingly elegant exteriors and sophisticated luxurious interiors, the Tiguan makes tough look easy. All of this and more, with the signature Volkswagen driving experience.

Want to experience an adventure like never before? You're right where you belong. Stay tuned...
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 09:01   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Couldn't agree more. 26 - 28 lacs is what I am expecting the HL to be priced at. Anything higher, and you have to start looking at the Germans. No matter what the car offers (unless it does offer the R-line features), once it's price reaches that of the Germans, it's the Germans that start looking like the better option.

Anyway, eagerly awaiting the launch and more than that, the Teambhp review. My buying decision hinges on how our resident experts rate it.
I hope I'm wrong, but I think 26-28l on road is unlikely. The Tucson top end auto is priced at around 31l on road in Mumbai. The Tiguan is similarly sized, and except for the engine, better specced in every other respect. One could argue that the Tucson is ridiculously priced as well, but then CR-V top end is also 33l in Mumbai.
Old 17th May 2017, 11:57   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I think 26-28l on road is unlikely. The Tucson top end auto is priced at around 31l on road in Mumbai. The Tiguan is similarly sized, and except for the engine, better specced in every other respect. One could argue that the Tucson is ridiculously priced as well, but then CR-V top end is also 33l in Mumbai.
I meant ex-showroom price. That should bring the on road price to around 33 - 34 which would be competitive IMO. 40L on road is way too much, even if the HL is as well spec'ed as we expect it to be.

BTW, according to my sales guy, the launch is expected on 25th May.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:59   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post

BTW, according to my sales guy, the launch is expected on 25th May.
My in opinion, this is a bad time to launch. The GST regime comes into effect July 1st and it is widely speculated that prices of larger cars will actually reduce substantially.

Let us say the price the market will accept for the Tiguan is x. Now, if VW launches in end-May at a price, say y, they would have to reduce it post July to comply with regulation requiring to pass on GST benefits to customers. So eventually if they want to sell it at price x, they would have to launch at price y, which is higher than x. This would increase negative perception in the minds of customers, of the car being expensive - the launch price normally sticks in people's head. Even after reducing the price to x in July, VW may not be able to recoup the price/value positioning they truly want.

Instead if they were to wait for 5 weeks till July 1, they can launch at the right lower price point and capture the customer's share of mind. Even customers who have booked now may not want to take delivery anyway till July so that they can avail of the post GST price.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:33   #142
BHPian

Quote:
My in opinion, this is a bad time to launch. The GST regime comes into effect July 1st and it is widely speculated that prices of larger cars will actually reduce substantially.
This has been there in the back of my mind. While I am not very optimistic about the GST bringing costs for automobiles down by much given how the state governments can add their own cess, I would still like to wait it out as it's only a few weeks away now. Maybe this is why VW hasn't announced the launch yet. If you remember, the Tiguan was supposed to be launched in the first week of May and we are now in the 3rd week and there is still no news.

As for 25th May, I think that is pure speculation. If the launch was this weekend, the dealer would have heard about it by now as they have to receive the cars they have placed orders for. Since they haven't heard anything so far, they are speculating it might be next week. This is probably also why the sales guy had no news on Monday and then on Wednesday he said it might happen in the 4th week of May, maybe 25th.

Last edited by sunny310c : 18th May 2017 at 15:34.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:10   #143
Senior - BHPian

The official website has now been updated. VW Tiguan to launch in India on May 24.

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-capture.jpg

Last edited by dZired : 19th May 2017 at 18:11.
Old 19th May 2017, 18:18   #144
BHPian

Now we get it, Volkswagen all this time had been waiting for GST rates to be declared to get a grip on pricing. Now their Pricing team must have got into top gear to figure out the variants and their respective prices.

Can we expect a price a little lesser than speculated based on below post?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4201476 (GST effect on car prices?)
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 18:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Now we get it, Volkswagen all this time had been waiting for GST rates to be declared to get a grip on pricing. Now their Pricing team must have got into top gear to figure out the variants and their respective prices.

Can we expect a price a little lesser than speculated based on below post?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4201476 (GST effect on car prices?)
They can very well launch by June 1 week with a waiting period of 30 days ! Effectively they will not be loosing any revenue as the deliveries & billing will start after July 1 and GST will be in place by then.
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 19:41   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
They can very well launch by June 1 week with a waiting period of 30 days ! Effectively they will not be loosing any revenue as the deliveries & billing will start after July 1 and GST will be in place by then.
Most analysis is pointing to a 6-7% difference in ex-showroom price post GST. So assuming VW started with plans to price the Highline DSG around Rs. 30 Lacs ex-showroom (which is what the sales people indicated in early May when I booked), they should now be able to offer it around Rs. 28 lacs ex-showroom, provided they pass on the full benefits to end customers. This would then be a fair price considering the features, build quality and international standards to which this car is built.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 14:03   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates from my dealer:
  • Launch on Thursday the 25th as confirmed on the website
  • Initial allocations of display vehicles have been invoiced to dealers and in transit. Separate launch events to take place by city soon after national launch
  • On questioning how the GST will impact prices, the response is that for small cars they are seeing a price increase of about 10-20K and for large cars and SUVs, prices will increase by Rs. 40-50K. I tried to point out that prices should actually reduce by around Rs. 2 lacs for SUVs like the Tiguan that are prices in the 35 lacs on-road range.
  • GST related price impact to be known only towards end June and will be effective only towards end July.
Clearly, those who booked the Tiguan pre-launch face a difficult choice. It is clear that prices should come down by a solid 2 lacs or so post GST, but VW and dealers will not admit that and may even message that prices would increase. This forces launch customers to buy the vehicle at a higher price, which is just not fair. In my opinion, VW should provide a clear post GST price projection now, and give a rebate to launch customers to nullify any price drops or at least a guarantee that there will be a refund for price drops. Alternatively provide a special introductory price valid till June 30 that will more than make up for any price drops due to GST. In the absence of these types of measures. I see the launch and initial sales fizzle out, causing irreparable damage to the long term prospects of the car.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th May 2017 at 14:05.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 15:52   #148
BHPian

I think it's an excellent marketing strategy.
They could easily use a lower "Introductory Pricing Policy" and attract customer's attention, and obtain maximum bookings. It would then maximize deliveries of just the initial batch, so as to make its presence felt on-road.
Once the GST system kicks in, it would increase the prices, and also their own markup, and pass it off as "Sir, prices rocketed due to GST, kya kare".
Old 20th May 2017, 23:51   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Updates from my dealer:
  • Launch on Thursday the 25th as confirmed on the website

Launch is on 24th May. Volkswagen website is updated.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:24   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiguan starts reaching dealerships,

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanatindiadealerships2600x450.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanatindiadealerships3600x450.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanatindiadealerships4600x450.jpg

link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed