Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 12:43   #166
BHPian

re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The Tucson suddenly looks more appealing with an onroad pricing of INR 31,79,000/- for the 2WD AT GLS in Bangalore. How will this pricing change after GST comes into play in July ?
6 Lakhs extra for AWD, Sunroof, paddle shift and German branding is much higher than I expected.

A better spec engine goes in favor for Tucson. What else?

I would assume driving dynamics may be slightly better with Tiguan, but 147HB engine many be spoiler though.
sj_koova is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:46   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Pretty sad bhp/ton and torque/ton ratios due to the massive 1,720 kg kerb weight!

Quick comparison (all variants being diesel DSGs sourced from TBHP reviews):

Car---bhp/ton--nm/ton--Kerb weight
Jetta-------95-----219-----1460
Octavia-----101-----229-----1395
Superb-----111-----224-----1565
Tiguan-----83-----198-----1720

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th May 2017 at 13:00. Reason: Formatting
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:51   #168
BHPian

This has become a norm. Hyundai launches something which is heavily criticised for being expensive. Then the competitors help them by launching something even more expensive and makes Hyundai products seem value for money. Tucson sales should improve now. Jeep Compass would also be heaving a sigh of relief as they would not have to compete with the Tiguan any more.
aviraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:02   #169
BHPian

Thanks VW for making this an easy decision. Going by the Mumbai prices, it will be 40 lacs on road in Hyderabad. Even the R-Line trim would be steep at this price.

I don't even have to think about this anymore. Will go cancel the booking this weekend. I shudder at the thought of the price of the Kodiaq.

Oh, and 149 mm GC?? Really? My Octavia has 155 mm GC.

Last edited by sunny310c : 24th May 2017 at 13:10.
sunny310c is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:04   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
This has become a norm. Hyundai launches something which is heavily criticised for being expensive. Then the competitors help them by launching something even more expensive and makes Hyundai products seem value for money. Tucson sales should improve now. Jeep Compass would also be heaving a sigh of relief as they would not have to compete with the Tiguan any more.
Well it is interesting to note that in the launch VW preferred to consider the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X1 as competitors.

View from this perspective the Tiguan looks a VFM product though I wonder how many Merc or BMW buyers are going to share the same view.

As mentioned I think this is going to help the Tucson more than anything. Hyundai has effectively killed the segment for VW.

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-capture.png

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:13   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Well it is interesting to note that in the launch VW preferred to consider the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X1 as competitors.

View from this perspective the Tiguan looks a VFM product though I wonder how many Merc or BMW buyers are going to share the same view.

As mentioned I think this is going to help the Tucson more than anything. Hyundai has effectively killed the segment for VW.

Attachment 1641824

Drive on,
Shibu.
Tiguan is longer, wider and taller than its closest competition

As if customers looking at BMW and Mercedes will shift to VW due to it being longer, wider and taller!

Tiguan to be successful is not required to be value for money as compared to Big 3 Germans but instead should focus on being premium and value for money as compared to Hyundai/Honda. For that to happen the pricing has to be 1-2 lakh more than Tuscon. I am afraid Tiguan has priced itself out of the competition.
rutvij is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:17   #172
BHPian

Quote:

Drive on,
Shibu.
VW fancies themselves as competitors to BMW and Merc, but I'm not sure that the market views them as such. Their products Polo and Vento compete more with mass market offerings.
So yes Hyundai is probably having a good chuckle right now, even with their high prices for Tucson.
VW does have the AWD going in its favor, but don't think it'll be that big a draw in this segment where people are looking for a softroader SUV and are probably looking to upgrade from their existing sedans.
mayjay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:20   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Well it is interesting to note that in the VW preferred to consider the Mercedes GLA and the BMW X1 as competitors.

I don't think majority of Merc and BMW buyers are buying them for the features or size. Most of them buy for the brand. It will be difficult for VW to get those buyers switch to Tiguan.
AjiGTI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:21   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
6 Lakhs extra for AWD, Sunroof, paddle shift and German branding is much higher than I expected.

A better spec engine goes in favor for Tucson. What else?

I would assume driving dynamics may be slightly better with Tiguan, but 147HB engine many be spoiler though.
When the Tucson was launched, everyone found it overpriced.
But then VW came, and made the Tucson seem VFM!!

Honestly though, the comfortline goes head on with the Tucson GLS (similar features, Tucson has better engine on paper, but Tiguan should hold the upper hand on interior quality, AWD, etc.) and the comfortline is the debatable logical pick owing to the more premium VW branding+AWD+more premium interiors at a little more (around 1.5-2L).
(If the tucson GLS came with AWD and a sunroof at 25L - it would be a no brainer)

The highline though has it's work cut out against the X1 in particular - given a little more will get you the base X1. It's a matter of engine+brand+experience (BMW) v/s features+practicality (Tiguan). It'll be interesting to see what the Indian customers pick - my bet would be the X1.

I am in the market - and even though the Tucson was stretching the budget a little, I think it just may make sense to spend a little extra for the Tiguan comfortline as an urban-SUV (unless a good diesel sedan is launched in that range which is unlikely).
Hope to be able to test both of them over the weekend, but will wait for GST to be in effect before deciding (in case the Tucson pricing drops, because I doubt the Tiguan's would).
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:32   #175
BHPian

Correct me if wrong, Isn't the highline version of the VW Tiguan dangerously close to Hyundai Santa Fe territory? If it is then why would someone buy a VW Tiguan over the Santa Fe which looks more butch and has better presence on road. Also, the added better perception of Hyundai After Sales and Service compared to that of VW.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:34   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricing is higher than expected by about 3 Lacs ex showroom. I was hoping for the highline at 27-28 Lacs ex showroom. Now will have to rethink this. Only hope is that the GST correction will reduce the price significantly.

Comfortline is worth consideration given the price differential which can translate to Rs. 4 lacs on road.

Missing features in Comfortline:

LED Tail lamps
Panoramic Sunroof with LED surround lighting
LED Lighting on door trim
Illuminated front scruff plates
Chrome and granite grey inserts in bumpers
Self sealing tires
Reverse parking camera
Easy open boot with one touch close
Keyless entry with push button start

Differecnes in features in comfortline:

Black roof rails instead of silver
17 Inch alloy wheels versus 18 inch (and width of tires is 215 instead of 235)
Dashboard and front door trim with ‘Titanium Silver’ inserts instead of "dark grid" ones in highline

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 24th May 2017 at 13:50.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:43   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Pricing is higher than expected by about 3 Lacs ex showroom. I was hoping for the highline at 27-28 Lacs ex showroom. Now will have to rethink this. Only hope is that the GST correction will reduce the price significantly.
"Higher input costs will also likely influence price revisions in July". This is a quote from today's ET, by the "Indian head of a European carmaker".
So it seems doubtful that the net difference is going to be large enough to change the decision in favor of Tiguan.
mayjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:44   #178
Team-BHP Support

Wow the Tucson suddenly looks VFM when we had actually groaned that it was over priced. VW just made the Hyundai look better than it really is.

At 31 ex showroom for the highline, it is a good 7 lakhs above the Tucson and close to the BMW and MErc. Moreover it is also right in the middle of the top end of Fortuner and Endeavour 3.2 Titanium.

I think it will get a few buyers very exclusive who don't want the BMW/Merc badge at the same time don't want the huge truck full size Endy or Fortuner. Other than that I don't see this appealing to many.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:47   #179
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In case it helps anyone considering the Tiguan, attaching the full brochure that I just received.

Tiguan Brochure.pdf

Can't wait to drive it. There's no European SUV in this segment yet, so VW might just be onto something. It's rather compact (shorter than the Jetta & Octavia) - an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you see it, but I know a lot of people who are put off by the sheer size of the Endeavour, Fortuner etc. The Tiguan might be the perfect size for cities. Expensive yes, but I think it'll find its own market. Even the Jetta is so much more expensive than the Elantra - which one do we love more ?

Wish they'd given the Tiguan a higher state of tune. It's so heavy, and still has power / torque similar to the Jetta / Octavia.

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2017 at 13:49.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 13:47   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, one could even manage to buy an X1 xLine at Tiguan's price by bargaining hard. I doubt if VW would be able to match BMW's discounts/offers. Also, a Q3 is similarly priced if we factor in the discounts. Couldn't understand why would anyone buy a VW over a feature loaded BMW/Audi that offers a far better engine.
ece2k2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed