Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 16:13   #196
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I do not in the least doubt which SUV would drive better. It would be the Tiguan - no doubt. But then at 40 lakhs if I love to drive wouldn't a BMW look better. Heck i'll starve, i'll beg and do whatever to raise the few lakhs I am short of.

I feel the Jetta is still within striking distance of the Elantra which is what actually hurt the Elantra. The price of the Jetta was such that if you had a 18 -20 lakh budget for a car you would look at the Jetta. The Creta is what in my view put paid to the Jetta and a lot of cars in that segment.
Well, I was tempted to get a Creta couple of years back, TD-ed it & a few other cars, ended up buying the Jetta
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:21   #197
BHPian

With this pricing, I am now looking forward to the Kodiaq. I wonder how they'll price the longer sibling, price correction coming round Diwali time I'd say.
Karthik_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:25   #198
Senior - BHPian

It is expensive no doubt but then VW's ooze a certain feel and quality that is somehow different to what you'd find in a Ford or a Hyundai.

An interesting engine and gearbox combination. 340nm on a 7 speed dsg. Hopefully they have corrected all the problems this gearbox is known for.

For someone willing to pay close to 40lac's, I guess it won't hurt paying a lil more for all the warranty cover you can get.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th May 2017 at 16:27.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:32   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In case it helps anyone considering the Tiguan, attaching the full brochure that I just received.

Attachment 1641833

Can't wait to drive it. There's no European SUV in this segment yet, so VW might just be onto something. It's rather compact (shorter than the Jetta & Octavia) - an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you see it, but I know a lot of people who are put off by the sheer size of the Endeavour, Fortuner etc. The Tiguan might be the perfect size for cities. Expensive yes, but I think it'll find its own market. Even the Jetta is so much more expensive than the Elantra - which one do we love more ?

Wish they'd given the Tiguan a higher state of tune. It's so heavy, and still has power / torque similar to the Jetta / Octavia.
Thanks for the brochure GTO. The FEATURES comparison is astonishing between these two variants. Except Reverse Camera and Self Healing Tyres both are just exact same! Including 6 airbags, ABS/EBD and many more similar things. This is very good from VW. Let Ford learn from VW. A German badge, SUV, with all the bells whistles and top class safety features, excellent FE and driving dynamics - a sweet combination! If at all they improve the After Sales Support perception by investing heavily on it and teaching the goons in the dealership about real customer service a thing or two. Otherwise, a nice product will bite the dust for a single reason - Perception!
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:38   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
An interesting engine and gearbox combination. 340nm on a 7 speed dsg. Hopefully they have corrected all the problems this gearbox is known for
This is a different 7 speed box with 4motion all wheel drive system. Not the infamous one seen on the Superb, Octavia and Polo/Vento.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:10   #201
BANNED

The comfortline is very well loaded, except for the Keyless start and the Sunroof. Very clever grades by VW.

but the pricing is high indeed. Just 10 percent below an X1 (although now you can't get the 4wd in the 35 lakh region), and I don't think most buyers care about the 4wd and even then it's only a soft roader.
VW could have easily brought in a 2wd version to price it close to 25 lacs. But I think they haven't done it since Audi is likely to skip the Q2 for India (revealed in a recent interview with overdrive), so they're keeping VW a s premium as they can. But given the way VW group is functioning in India, I expect a 2wd 1.4 TSI to hit the showrooms pretty soon. And that can easily hit 24 lacs price.

I love soft roaders with a compact size, perfect for urban India, but I don't love the design of Tiguan. It takes understated to a whole new level. Even the previous one was more flamboyant than this one and less boxy. Would have loved to see a petrol version since we have a very low running. But if I was looking at this segment, surprisingly the C-RV is better value right now, although its expected to get a new generation in India pretty soon.
Also hoping, Jeep doesn't price the Compass like this. The only way that car is saving FCA in India is if it's as popular as the XUV when it launched (comparing that since it didn't have a very strong brand value or reliability behind it, and still sold in great numbers for a 15 lac rupees car)
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:19   #202
BHPian

As the satisfied owner of a 2011 Passat that has clocked 67K trouble free and frankly very enjoyable Km's thus far, I've been awaiting the launch of the Tiguan as I was due a new vehicle purchase.

The price's announced as per what I was expecting and barring something putting me off majorly, I will in all probability buy a Highline version.

I see loads of people commenting that at this price a Fortuner or an Endeavor are more bang for the buck - that's a subjective opinion - I own a Fortuner as well and I'm done with Ladder on Frame chassis Vehicles for life. The stiff suspension and body roll is something my back just cant take anymore - especially in a hilly state such as HP.

Some people are opining that the Q3 or X1 are better at these prices - maybe so - but then I'd rather have an understated, less flashy but as well finished and engineered VW than an Audi or BMW - even though both the X1 and Q3 are in easily in budget.

Some say the Hyundai Tucson makes more sense - maybe so - but in my opinion the Tucson looks too much like the multitude of Creta's everywhere & having done a long road trip in friends Tucson - it is not as well engineered as the German vehicles nor does it feel tough & bullet proof like my Fortuner.

I test drive the Tiguan on the 29th and I'm already leaning towards the Silver color.....
driven646 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:52   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post

Some say the Hyundai Tucson makes more sense - maybe so - but in my opinion the Tucson looks too much like the multitude of Creta's everywhere
This was one reason I was not convinced about buying Tuscon. Cheaper Creta has better road presence in my view.

Your's is the first test drive feedback on this thread. I am assuming you are going for HighLine.
What was you observation about ground clearance? Do you know unladen ground clearance?

I was expecting a call back from Dealer confirming my test drive. VM call center called up, still waiting for dealer call.
Old 24th May 2017, 18:03   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
This was one reason I was not convinced about buying Tuscon. Cheaper Creta has better road presence in my view.

Your's is the first test drive feedback on this thread. I am assuming you are going for HighLine.
What was you observation about ground clearance? Do you know unladen ground clearance?

I was expecting a call back from Dealer confirming my test drive. VM call center called up, still waiting for dealer call.
I've booked a test drive with the dealer in Chandigarh for the 29th - that's Monday next week (I'm going in with Checkbook, if satisfied - Ill book it)

I'll post my TD experience in this thread for sure.
driven646 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 18:47   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Was in a Skoda showroom with a friend a few days back. Got talking to the SA about the Kodiaq and he went on and on about how great a product it is. Asked him the expected price and he said it is expected to be close to 45-50L OTR Bangalore. I thought he was crazy and just throwing numbers.

Looking at the pricing of the Tiguan, 40L+ for the Kodiaq and even that 45L OTR seems believable.

Edit: Although I am nowhere close to this segment in terms of purchasing, hypothetically speaking, I am one of those people who would prefer an understated car as opposed a flashy known one like a BMW/Merc/Audi. So I would not drop this from consideration just because a BMW or an Audi is within reach. I assume there will be enough such people around-Hence enabling a small niche market for this car.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th May 2017 at 18:56.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:02   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
Not sure about its safety though. Killed few Shanghai Volkswagen Executives not long back. Frontal impact is terrifying to say the least.

http://chinaautoweb.com/2010/07/phot...sh-volkswagen/
Judging by the A pillars, it was travelling at pretty high speeds
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:18   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a detailed look at the Tiguan at the dealership. They had a white highline model on display.

1. The touchscreen size is indeed 8 inches - measured it with a scale. The display is clear and very responsive to touch.

2. Upholstery is Artico leather not real leather. This is a shame, even a Skoda Octavia Ambition plus which costs less than 20 lcas has real leather, However, the quality of leatherette is indeed excellent and it is hard to tell that it is not real leather.

3. The crease running down the side is very pronounced - much more so that in most other cars. Looks very elegant and lends some character to the car.

4. The tires in the highline are "self sealing" They have a layer of glue on the inner surface of the tire which makes it possible for the air to be retained longer after a puncture. Sounded less robust than the Run Flat tires that BMW offers. The display model is shod with Hankook tires and I have a guess the 235 55R18 tires are going to be expensive to replace.

5. The engine was fairly noisy when running from the outside, significantly subdued once you are sat inside.

6. The 18 inch alloys do look very impressive. They are perfectly proportioned to the size of the car and there are no yawning gaps in the wheel well unlike some other trucks.

7. The engine bay is neat and uncluttered. It can easily accommodate a bigger engine. How I wish VW had brought in the 3.0 TDI here! The hood covering the engine bay flt very light and is mounted on automatic telescoping struts so easy to open and keep open!

8. Coming to the doors, they felt quite sturdy though not the heavy doors like in the Jetta or Laura.

9. The highline had the "dark grid" trim, which did not impress me. It is highly invisible with much of the other black plastics all over. I think the silver inlays in the Comfortline may look better.

10. The quality of plastics is very good and the interior feels premium. A bit below BMW levels on the plastics and metal bits in my view, but no match for Mercedes and Audi standards. Definitely superior to the Ford Endeavour etc.

11. The steering wheel feels good, but somehow lacks character and feels utilitarian. Not much different from a Vento I think except for a few more buttons. VW could have used stitches of a different color like white or red in the leather wrapping to make it feel more special.

12. The hooded chrome ringed instrument cluster looks very premium, though Active Info Display would have sealed it in terms of being truly special!

13. The gear shift knob looks no different from what is on a polo TSI. VW could have again made this look a bit better with shiny chrome instead of the aluminum looking finish running thorough the middle of the knob.

14. The seats felt very comfortable and the range of adjustments were very good. Somehow I did not feel I was sitting as high as I usually do on my Ecosport even with the seat at the highest setting. There is nice all-round support though you don't get that body hugging feeling. The appearance of the seats is not very classy though - with a white line running across the sides reminding me of after market seat covers. I half thought even my Ecosport's seats look better with red stitching and all on the black art leather that looks perforated and all.

15. Leg room and head room are very generous in both rows. Sunroof is not an obstruction at all since it opens above the roof line unlike in the Ford Endeavour where my hair was constantly touching the sunroof.

16. A nice serrated cover opens up the front cup holders, much like in the Mercedes sedans. The quality of the cover is not that great though, it was a bit thin and shaky.

17. The rear seat space is awesome, three can easily sit abreast. The rear seats can indeed slide and the inclination can be adjusted at multiple levels. Altogether the most comfortable rear sets I have seen in a while.

18. The boot looks truly enormous and the loading bay is height adjustable.

19. Cubby hole in the middle of the dash is very usable with decent space and felt lining inside!

20. The glove compartment is enormous. There is a CD changer in the glove compartment with SD card facility.

21. Bottle holders in the doors are also enormous and can hold extra large sized bottles. They are also felt lined to minimize rattles and other noise. VW is super when it comes to attention to detail.

All in all, a very desirable SUV indeed, but the pricing makes it very hard to swallow the overall proposition. If it had been 5-6 lacs cheaper, I would have been at the head of the queue with the cheque in hand!

Attaching a bunch of pictures I took.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_152849.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153524.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154047.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154058.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_152335.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_152746.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153004.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153009.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153015.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153533.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154419.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154145.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154918.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_155000.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_153504.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170524_154138.jpg  

84.monsoon is online now   (44) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 19:35   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMan View Post
Not sure about its safety though. Killed few Shanghai Volkswagen Executives not long back. Frontal impact is terrifying to say the least.

http://chinaautoweb.com/2010/07/phot...sh-volkswagen/
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Let's keep it real, . Even a 1.5 crore S-Class can't save its occupants in a 200 kmph crash against a truck. No car is death-proof.
The bottom of the page says "This entry was posted ...on July 21, 2010."

So is this about the previous generation Tiguan?
Yeldo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 20:05   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

VW's official press release - Tiguan

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-thierrylespiaucqtiguan.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-tiguan1.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-1.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-2.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-3.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-4.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 20:14   #210
Team-BHP Support

The pricing is similar to what I had thought it would be launched at. They are competing with the X1 and the Q3. I think they want to position it as a VFM alternative to the two, and I think they have succeeded. The base models of the X1 and Q3 are available at similar prices, and those are pretty stripped off, of feel good features. While the Tiguan is well pretty well loaded at the same price, and offering the 4 wheel drive system. It will definitely be more spacious inside than the Q3, and probably similar to the X1.

A person looking at a compact SUV like this will not consider the Endeavour or Fortuner, and the Tucson will feel a whole segment down in terms of quality and driving experience.
Akshay1234 is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks