Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 20:49   #211
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Edit: Although I am nowhere close to this segment in terms of purchasing, hypothetically speaking, I am one of those people who would prefer an understated car as opposed a flashy known one like a BMW/Merc/Audi. So I would not drop this from consideration just because a BMW or an Audi is within reach. I assume there will be enough such people around-Hence enabling a small niche market for this car.

Such a nice, true observation.
There are many people who actually hesitate when they see the levels of bling and flash that the today's generation of Audis, Mercs and Beemers have.
Many do prefer anonymity and understated elegance for sure. Function over Form is the norm for such people.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 21:06   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

40 lakhs for a Tiguan?

I wonder what automobile manufacturers are thinking. At these prices I can probably hire the best Uber cab for every working day of the year and spend around 4 lakhs a year for a comfortable vehicle which comes with a driver. I'm sure the 40 lakhs can earn the required 4 lakhs every year to make the experience practically free.

The point is, there is nothing aspirational about a VW that would make you spend ridiculous amounts of money on it. Frankly, not even the Big T or the 4-letter-F is worth that kind of money.

The market seems ripe for a price adjustment, or a good disrupter. Every new launch seems to be building in ever-increasing levels of 'premium' - hell even Isuzu seems to think it can charge a premium.

What next - Rs.30 lakhs for a new Geely or Changan?
Steeroid is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 21:35   #213
BHPian

Hyundai launches a 'premium-priced' product, and the market calls it overpriced. Then another manufacturer launches a competitor product at such a high price, the Hyundai becomes VFM overnight.

We've seen this before, haven't we?

Between the Tiguan and Tucson, the former is undoubtedly the better product. The Tucson, competent as it is, just cannot match up to the VW in terms of driving dynamics and overall finesse. BUT it's still not good enough to justify the premium. 3-4 lakhs lesser would've really hit the spot, and this could've been a potential best seller. The lack of competition other than the Tucson (Yeti and CR-V are too long in the tooth) could've worked in its advantage.

This pricing makes me wonder how much the Kodiaq is going to cost. 45-50L on-road doesn't seem impossible.

Honda has a great opportunity here. The next-gen CR-V is getting rave reviews in the USA, and with 7 seats and the 1.6 i-DTEC with 160bhp, they could be onto something great. All they have to do is neatly position it between the Tucson and Tiguan. If only they would wake up and smell the coffee.

As things stand, I don't see a very bright future for the Tiguan. But I won't be surprised if I'm proven wrong. The Indian market is rather unpredictable. After all, we do see the 16L City, 18L Creta and 28L Innova setting the sales charts on fire month after month, don't we?
Aaron:) is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 22:04   #214
BHPian

I think the pricing is justified if one considers the fact that they are trying to 'compete' with the X1 and the Q3. I say 'compete' because even they know the market's perception of the brands in terms of snob value, and that's exactly what they are offering; a better loaded 4wd compact SUV, that can easily slip under the radar for those who don't want to be associated with the bling of the BMW and Audi. I think of it as a product that would bridge the gap between the Tuscon and the X1/Q3, and for that, the pricing might have been hit right on the head.
Old 24th May 2017, 22:19   #215
BHPian

Here's the difference between CL and HL of the Tiguan.

On road price in Kerala for CL is 36.5L and HL is 41L.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_2037.jpg  

rejeen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 22:43   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejeen View Post
Here's the difference between CL and HL of the Tiguan.

On road price in Kerala for CL is 36.5L and HL is 41L.
That's a ~10L tax on each variant, crazy taxes!

Love the lines on the car, pure VAG timeless design. It won't go out of fashion for another decade or more.

Comparing this to a BMW / Audi may not be appropriate because service costs are typically higher on the luxury brands. So with an initial comparable vehicle cost, the total ownership costs could potentially be less. Who knows if VAG will try to pull a fast one for spares / premium labor etc.

Love the car but don't see it's worth for the money they are asking. If I were in the market, I'd pick a used X1 over this.

As someone mentioned, I am gloomy thinking of the price the Kodiaq will land here. That machine is drool-worthy but I better erase any desire to own that.
Mad Max is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 23:02   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That's a ~10L tax.
I believe it incudes the road tax, insurance, any basic accessories. Probably extended warranty too though I'm not sure about this.
Old 24th May 2017, 23:11   #218
BHPian

A tad overpriced for sure, but I don't think VW India is aiming for large volumes with this one. Incidentally, have anyone heard of a Petrol line being launched for the Tiguan? Any timelines?
Old 24th May 2017, 23:21   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen India launches its premium SUV Tiguan . Highline variant seem to be pricey. Comfortline pricing a lakh more than expected.
I think Comfortline is adequately priced, about a 10% premium over the Tucson would've been totally justified if they would've brought in the engine in a higher state of tune. 140 odd BHP is too less for a car costing this much. I don't know why rudimentary features like the stupidly named although very convenient keyless entry and push button start and the extremely necessary reversing camera have been omitted form the Comfortline when it has all of these other features? Those are clearly marketing rather than actual cost decisions.
The Highline would've been okay too, if the engine was better and they would've included the virtual cockpit VW thingy they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Tucson sales should improve now.
Jeep Compass would also be heaving a sigh of relief as they would not have to compete with the Tiguan any more.[/quote]

I doubt it is going to improve Tucson sales at all. It might drive some prospective Tucson buyers into VW showrooms who've been on the fence about not spending that much on a Hyundai. I'll tell you what it will do though, it is going to substantiate Hyundai to bring in the AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Jeep Compass would also be heaving a sigh of relief as they would not have to compete with the Tiguan any more.
Compass isn't in the same segment as the Tucson/Tiguan. It will be a half segment above the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even the Jetta is so much more expensive than the Elantra - which one do we love more ?
Jetta had clear couple of things going for it. One, the power; two: the dynamics. While I don't doubt that the Tiguan would be dynamically more sound than the Tucson, although by how much exactly we'd soon know here, the engine is a big let down. 140 bhp in a car weighing 1700 kilos? What?
Many people would scoff at this, wouldn't take this seriously, but the Tucson diesel is a hoot to drive.

Edit: Look wise there's no comparison though. This Tiguan looks like an 80's park bench. There's ways to make "clean and understated" attractive, this isn't it.

Last edited by ach1lles : 24th May 2017 at 23:25.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 00:13   #220
BHPian

Autocar India has come out with the first look video of Tiguan

PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 02:13   #221
BHPian

The Tiguan at best is a competitor to the x1 in its 150bhp tune (s18d)
Since the India variant of the X1 (s20d ) is the 190 bhp version at a price point that is the same as the Tiguan, the only segment I can see it being brought is by people who want to avoid the perceived bling-iness of a BMW/MB/Audi
Old 25th May 2017, 08:03   #222
BHPian

Out here in Western suburbs of Mumbai, the Giant and very capable Ford Endeavour 4x4 Top of the line 200bhp is 39 lakhs on road. And the Tiguan at 147 bhp, low ground clearance, much smaller at 38? I had bought the same spec Yeti 5 years ago for 19.5.

When will we get cars reasonably priced?

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th May 2017 at 11:31. Reason: Typo fixed. Thanks
parambyte is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 08:19   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
Out here in Western suburbs of Mumbai, the Giant and very capable Ford Endeavour 4x4 Top of the line 200bhp is 39 lakhs on road. And the Tiguan at 147 bhp, low ground clearance, much smaller at 38? I had bought the same spec Yeti 5 years ago for 19.5.

When Indian manufacturers enter these segments. All Tata and Mahindra products are reasonably priced for what they offer. People don't figure out the 'real impact' of extra EMIs when they just look at it as paying few extra Ks every month and also discounting extra maintenance costs of most European brands. Toyota prices high but is very very cost effective to maintain. When VW/Skoda prices it high, it is triple whammy - high price, high (and poor) maintenance, high depreciation.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th May 2017 at 11:31. Reason: Typo in quoted post fixed. Thanks
5kmiles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 09:25   #224
BHPian

I hope VW have their expectations in terms of sales right. I understand the appeal of an urban crossover which is both premium and understated at the same time but one of the main reasons to consider a crossover/SUV is its ground clearance and 149mm just sounds ridiculous. I think there are sedans with better ground clearance than that. I remember my old fiesta had about 168mm
Old 25th May 2017, 09:32   #225
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
. And the Tiguan at 147 bhp, low ground clearance, much smaller at 38? I had bought the same spec Yeti 5 years ago for 19.5.

Out here in the junglee south eastern suburbs of Bendakallooru ( Boiled Beans Land) Bangalore, I also bought my Top Spec Yeti in 2011 - this Yeti has more or less all the stuff the Tiguan gives us. And yes, I too paid 19.5/-.

The prices of cars in the last 5-6 years have risen ridiculously indeed, so as to cause literally one's eyes to water copiously.

Me, Im stickin' to me 6 year old car for a few more years at least! No way I am buying a new one now with these evil prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
. Toyota prices high but is very very cost effective to maintain. When VW/Skoda prices it high, it is triple whammy - high price, high (and poor) maintenance, high depreciation.

Do you own an Euro brand?
I do.
And I have owned it for 6 years now almost.
I completely disagree with what you say except for depreciation.
High price is an individual and subjective perception. You buy what you can afford. Thats flat.
Yes I paid 19.5 lac for the vehicle in 2011.
You should see how the vehicle has held up in 6 years, both inside and outside.
I dont think a Creta, for example, which costs about as much now, would hold up as well. And a Creta is nowhere close to a Yeti. Sorry.
It typically costs around 20K for the annual Yeti service.
Thats comparable with most other vehicles of its type - especially if you maintain your vehicles properly and go only to Authorised Service Centres.
You say 'poor maintenance'. I disagree. From personal experience.
Basically on this Forum, it has become fashionable for lots of people, mostly non owners, to bash the Euro manufacturers without proper justification. I am merely counter balancing this with my experience.
shankar.balan is offline   (28) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks