Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 14:58   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
After discounts on the X1, the price difference is just about 10% higher for the BMW badge. I think most buyers would pick the X1 for better snob value styling and performance.
Exactly! That's why I have my money placed on the X1 if I venture into that segment.
I would assume Tiguan to have better legroom & features; but interiors + engine + ride & handling should lean in favour of the X1 compared to Tiguan.
Plus, sunroof & AWD aside, the X1 matches the Tiguan for everyday usable features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Won't the 149 mm ground clearance be a problem in that case? Even though Tuscon has 172 mm ground clearance, even that would prove to be inadequate for Indian conditions.

I have been seeing Jeep Compass mules very frequently and it looks polished enough to challenge these SUVs unless priced at stratospheric levels.
If the Jeep Compass comes in an AT + Diesel combo - then it can take on these rivals. Until then, a lot of prospective buyers will just drop it from the list.

Re: GC - I don't want to go off-roading, but I assume that a fully loaded Tiguan would still have better GC than a fully loaded sedan. Main aim is to tackle the huge speed breakers between the Eastern Freeway & the Mumbai Pune Expressway.
While the Octavia and the like can combat them - I am not so sure how a fully loaded 5 series / 3 series / Superb would fare on them.
Old 25th May 2017, 15:06   #242
BHPian

A lot has been said about how the additional lakhs over the Tucson are justified owing to better dynamics and overall quality, but the same argument can be applied to the Tiguan vs the X1/Q3.
Aaron:) is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:08   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
slightly OT but IMHO relevant nonetheless.

The Indian car industry is fast pricing itself out of the game. Every new launch by a non Indian OEM is greeted by howls of overpricing. Case in point- Tiguan, Tucson, Mux, new A3, A4, Merc CLA, GLA, Fortuner, Crysta, Accord etc. The only launch in recent times that was perceived to be spot on in terms of pricing (give or take 5%) is the Hexa.
Spot on! My fully loaded January 2016 Skoda Octavia Style+ petrol DSG (177bhp) with a BLR ex-showroom of 20 lakhs now looks ridiculously cheap and VFM compared to these obscene prices.

Unsure what exactly has changed across global / domestic cost structures, customer paying capacities, automotive technologies, regulatory changes / statutory costs etc that has made ~12-17 lakhs ex-showroom prices jump more than ~75-150% in barely a few years. Amazing!

This reminds me of The Donald in some ways. Once he started to deride ALL news reporting by the NYT, CNN, Washington Post/Times as FAKE NEWS, now his constituents don't believe ANYTHING they read outside Fox News :-)

I just don't believe these prices anymore :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 25th May 2017 at 15:13. Reason: Trump
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:17   #244
BHPian

The car looks handsome - HL version has some desirable features such as Panoramic sun roof, Reverse camera etc. But 40L is too much for this car - A Duster / Terrano has similar road presence like this.

Some missing goodies which are there in my Passat - Cooled seats (why do we need heated seats in India, Make it cool VW ), Auto park , Regenerative brakes, Side windows sun blinds , electric sunblind for rear window. Significant drop in power also - by 30PS

Heck Passat has higher GC than Tiguan by 2 mm, why can't they increase the GC higher to improve its presence?

It all points to the new Passat whenever it is launched will be upwards of 45L OTR -
baskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:18   #245
Senior - BHPian

I believe VW should have brought the car with the 177BHP 400NM guise. It's basically the same 2 litre engine with a higher tune. That will be a relevant player.

Is it just me or does VAG screw up with the powertrain options every other time? First the Polo with the mediocre 1.2l NA, then the new Audi A4 with a 1.4l TSI and now this? I thought they learned with the Polo GT's that masses like power!
Old 25th May 2017, 15:31   #246
BHPian

I very recently helped someone with their car purchase and re-visited pretty much everything available between 20-40 Lakhs INR. I have long maintained a belief that this segment is grossly overpriced and this launch at this pricing simply reinforces it.

We buy low profile cars, so VW/Skoda suit us very well, but, given what they offer, there is not a chance I'd be willing to spend 40 Lakhs on one! This engine is not particularly fun to drive (it is better than the competition, but that is about it); there is a good deal of engine noise at cruising speeds and it runs out of oomph when highway acceleration is required. Re-maps help a bit, but just aren't enough, especially if you've lived with 1.8TSI and 2.0TDI for a decade. I would only buy this car if I were looking for a reliable daily driver with a moderate comfort levels for highway trips.

In all honesty though, I just can't get my head wrapped around this. A pre-owned Octavia can be had around 15L; a Superb at 20L and a Corolla at 12-15, all with less than 20-30K Kms and less than 3 years old. I would much rather keep the rest of the money in the bank. If one must buy new, then at these prices, an Endeavour (if you can live with the size and interiors) or a Superb (if you can deal with not having to sit high) will do you just fine, you get more bang for your buck in different ways in each case.

I'm personally sticking to the pre-owned market whether I want to go up to BMW or stay with VW/Skoda. There are a lot of customers who fall into a similar category as I do, having owned VAG for a long time and are bored/tired of the engines who would love to upgrade to their Bi-Turbos. Failing that option and without the wherewithal/inclination to move up a segment, we are left strung out to dry.
imp! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:51   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe this car is worth the price, but VW will have to look hard to find customers preferring a VW key fob to a BMW one. It is a missed opportunity to create a desirable product like polo tsi (high quality german tech at an affordable price). Take the Yeti fwd, give it VW styling, add DSG and price it at the Jetta level.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:05   #248
Senior - BHPian

I half expected VW to be unrealistic with pricing. But they could have sold the 7 seats long wheelbase Tiguan at these price levels and got the 5 seat version at a lower price. 20 lakhs for FWD 5 seat and 31 for AWD 7 seat LWB version would have made a lot more sense. That would in essence span two segments. Comparing themselves to BMW and Mercedes because they overpriced it is not going to work. This will not be a large volume mover in its segment for sure.
Old 25th May 2017, 16:23   #249
Senior - BHPian

I like the car in almost every way, Looks good (I love germans understated looks) Feature loaded, Looks fresh on the road, Spacious, But man i won't pay the cost of a Top End Endeavour for this car, But anyone looking to buy one, Hold on for a few months, Best time to pick this car would be when massive discounts are on, I really doubt this is going to be a hot seller for VW, I might even be tempted to pick one up after 6 months when discounts start pouring in, I am impressed with the car in a over all way apart from the pricing.
Old 25th May 2017, 17:09   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
A lot has been said about how the additional lakhs over the Tucson are justified owing to better dynamics and overall quality, but the same argument can be applied to the Tiguan vs the X1/Q3.
The price difference between the Tucson & Tigual CL is apprx. INR 2-3L.

The price difference between the Tiguan CL & X1 Baseline (similar feature set, size, etc.) would be apprx. INR 6-8L so there shouldn't be an overlap at all unless someone has very flexible pockets.

The Q3 & GLA are a size smaller, so it's like comparing the Camry/Superb to the A4 & C Class.

But yes, between the Tiguan HL & X1 Base - there will definitely be an overlap as mentioned in a few places on this thread.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:15   #251
BHPian

This car is so blah. Boring. If I am paying the big bucks then the looks of the car better well move me. Failing which, at least let it have a stonker of an engine and performance. That also looks not possible with, what, just 140+ bhp on tap. Hell, the Innova (a people mover) has more power than this.

In my eyes, VAG have lost credibility after their scandal. So what makes them think the Tiguan will be a seller in the Indian market?? Or have they priced this so high knowing full well they cannot play on numbers so they make money by getting higher margins?
BeantownThinker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:23   #252
BHPian

Well, I had a tough time when I was looking for a car around 40 Lacs during the start of the year.
I am now a proud owner of the X1 and even if I would have the option of going for a Tiguan back then, I wouldn't pay so much for it. Apart from the badge value, there are many other things to be considered.
Firstly, the 140hp on the Tiguan is no match to the 190hp which the X1 boasts of. Besides that, a few of my friends who are existing VW owners had warned me to stay away from the brand when I was considering getting a Polo. They haven't had a very pleasent experience when it comes to the after sales service. On the other hand, BSI, offered by BMW guarantees a good night's sleep when it comes to maintaining the car. One more thing I'm pretty sure about is the resale value when it comes to these two. The premium badge would definitely fetch a few more Lacs than the VW badge.
All in all, I'm not saying the Tiguan is a bad car. But the way it is priced is just plain stupid. Had it been cheaper by a few lacs, it would have been a game changer. I would blindly suggest to go for the Q3 or the X1 if spending that much.
As mentioned earlier, people who don't want the bling which comes with these premium badges would most probably go for it. In that case, I would consider the Tucson or even the Santa Fe for that matter.
Though it would be interesting to see if the number of these people outweigh or give a competition to the number of people who opt for the premium badge.
SahilSawant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 18:00   #253
BHPian

Managed a quick TD of the Tiguan - was really rushed as I was actually en route to Manali when I happened to pass the VW showroom in Mandi - they had only the display model outside as the showroom was being set up for it's static display.

Convinced the manager to let me take her for a spin, first he refused but relented when i persisted (My Passat parked outside probably helped)...so it was a brief 10 min spin and I was very impressed - it pulled easily, engine noise does not exist in the cabin and it felt as peppy as my 2011 2.0 Passat diesel that has the 6 speed DSG Box.

Major relief as i was worried about the 143 BHP set up making the Car feel under powered - it's not and the 7 Speed DSG was ultra smooth.

The Interior is surprisingly roomy, awesomely finished - I liked everything in there and the Panoramic Sunroof makes it feel even bigger.

Ticked all the boxes imo. I intend to book the Highline next week.

no pics, was really rushed.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th May 2017 at 19:17. Reason: Do not type like this......... first and last warning.
driven646 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 18:12   #254
BHPian

Isn't the equipment level of base level Tiguan far more superior to base X1?

AWD, Paddle shift, three zone AC and All black interiors to name a few?

If Tiguan had come with 177HP motor, I would have put my money on it for what they offer. Right now I am holding my decision after test driving X1, Fortuner, Endeavor, Tucson, Crysta, XUV500 and Hexa. Want to test drive the Tiguan and may be wait for GST and Compass too.
Only thing going against Hexa at it's price point is the badge.
Old 25th May 2017, 19:06   #255
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to share a quick story: We are in office cafeteria and my colleague (a girl) says she likes the red colored Audi A3 very much and would want her future husband to have one. I ask her what if he owns a Toyota Fortuner which would cost around the same price or less and buys some more gifts with that extra money ? She dismisses the question and rejects that guy !

Point is : I dont think I will own a VW if I had 40 lakhs to spend on a car. That would mean that I have enough money to spend on maintenance and other things, so I would definitely buy a car having aspiration value (read: Mercedes or Audi or BMW etc)
So the argument of owning a Tiguan just because it will be easier on pocket to maintain seems a bit confusing to me. Maybe it will make sense to some, I am not saying that the argument is incorrect, just confusing to me
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks