Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 09:18   #286
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@ Aurum- Do shop around for discounts on the X1 as well as the new price drop, with those two factors the difference should not be 6 Lakhs compared to the Tiguan.
Also IMO, the x1 isn't "bling" in a city like Mumbai where luxury German sedans are now very common. The x1 is "bling" because of its badge compared to the VW but overall it is not an in your face flashy car by any means on Mumbai roads.hence I don't think this bling factor should be a deal breaker, pick the car you genuinely feel better suits you irrespective of its badge to make the right decision.
Agree, Sahil. Should shop around, and the "bling" factor shouldn't be (and probably wont be) the deal breaker. It's just a mindset thing. Here's another mindset thing for you. Both our cars are VWs (my wife has a Polo GT TSI), so we also have VW "fatigue"

Since we aren't in a tearing hurry to replace the Jetta, aren't infatuated with either car, and GST is coming up, we'll probably take it easy for now. Maybe the answer will come to us in a dream Anyway, every month of the car not replaced is a month of money saved.
Old 28th May 2017, 11:40   #287
BHPian

Just don't understand how VW plans to compete with the X1. I have feature loaded cars and don't use the features at all. Post discounts I don't even see much price difference between the two.
Old 28th May 2017, 17:01   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Been off the forum for a week or so, and was amazed to see the level of interest in the Tiguan. Some thoughts:

1) People have a habit of cribbing about the pricing of any CKD car. So let it be with the Tiguan. Comparing the price of an automatic Tiguan in 2017 with a manual Yeti in 2011 does not make any sense. The official inflation index for March 2017 is 1125 vs 711 for March 2011. So a 58% price increase arises just from that. Add the fact that Excise Duty rose from 24% to 30%, and you will see than the Tiguan has actually been priced at less than the Yeti from 2011. I expect no one will actually pay the current prices - as they will get prices down once GST rolls in. The anti profiteering clause in the GST law implies that they have to announce a higher price today, and reduce it once GST comes in.

2) Comparing a Tiguan (or CRV/X1/GLA) to a Fortuner is nuts. I don't know anyone who has actually bought one who seriously looked at the body on frame trucks (great for rural roads, lousy to self drive in the city) as an alternative to the former category (perfectly good as self drive vehicles). People will evaluate a Tiguan against the Tucson / CRV / X1/Q3/GLA and perhaps even against the X3/Q5/GLC/Discovery Sport (while I have not been in one as yet, a Mitsubishi Outlander is very similarly in size to the X3, and the Tiguan has a larger boot than either the X3, Q5 or GLC) or a Superb / Camry.

3) Agree it disappointing that they launched the Tiguan with the 140 BHP tune. But the Discovery Sport (barring the HSE Luxury which is ₹58 l ex showroom) also comes with the same 140 BHP tune, and it sells reasonably well. For all practical purposes, 140 BHP is more than enough. And the 177 BHP version would have certainly cost more.

4) This is another vehicle VW is fitting into the Skoda Aurangabad facility. They will be delighted to sell 100-150 units a month consistently. Pricing is designed for that volume level.

5) And yes, there are lots of folks who can afford BMWs/Merc/Audis who don't buy one, and prefer something more understated. While the luxury Germans have become much more commonplace today than in 2010/2011 (even I bought an X3), loads of my friends who are as or more affluent than me still would not buy one. At present, the only cars available to them (if they want to self drive) are the Superb, Camry, CRV (dated) and Tucson. This becomes a pretty attractive alternative. I am sure I would have thought about this seriously if it had been launched back in December when I was shopping for my car.

5) Hope to see a full Team BHP review soon.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th May 2017 at 08:17. Reason: Spaced out the paragraphs
Hayek is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 18:35   #289
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

1) People have a habit of cribbing about the pricing of any CKD car. So let it be with the Tiguan. Comparing the price of an automatic Tiguan in 2017 with a manual Yeti in 2011 does not make any sense. The official inflation index for March 2017 is 1125 vs 711 for March 2011. So a 58% price increase arises just from that. Add the fact that Excise Duty rose from 24% to 30%, and you will see than the Tiguan has actually been priced at less than the Yeti from 2011.

I guess the Yeti comment was aimed at me. Of course I will compare the prices because I did that even then.
All I say is that when I bought the Yeti in 2011 it was priced in India at the same levels as it was in UK and Australia.
Hence for me it represented great value.
Not so at this moment with the Tiguan.
Perhaps post GST it might be good value to some, but as of now to me, No!
Its just a point of view!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 20:47   #290
BHPian

Considering the '3 big Germans' (Audi / BMW / Mercedes) are advertising aggressively and offering discounts pre GST, wonder if VW would offer any sort of price relief on the Tiguan, post GST coming into effect. If this happens if could be more 'comparable' to the current pricing of the Hyundai Tucson or Honda C-RV.
Old 28th May 2017, 22:28   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Considering the '3 big Germans' (Audi / BMW / Mercedes) are advertising aggressively and offering discounts pre GST, wonder if VW would offer any sort of price relief on the Tiguan, post GST coming into effect. If this happens if could be more 'comparable' to the current pricing of the Hyundai Tucson or Honda C-RV.
Remember, any GST related reduction will apply across the board, so the Tucson and CRV will also drop prices to the same extent. So we cannot compare current prices of these with post GST price of Tiguan.

I think the Jeep Compass and Skoda Kodiaq pricing will be interesting, since these will announce prices post GST and would not be bound by profiteering clauses. They can either choose to take a premium position by keeping some of the profits on account of lower GST to themseles or go really competitive in pricing by fully factoring the benefits into the price.
Old 29th May 2017, 05:14   #292
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do we know if the touchscreen unit on Tiguan is MIB II, which was the same one used on Jetta, or something else? I need to get one for my Jetta..

Sorry OT🙃
Old 29th May 2017, 05:32   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I guess the Yeti comment was aimed at me... it might be good value to some, but as of now to me, No!
Its just a point of view!
It was not aimed specifically at you (there were several posts including yours in the same
vein), and I certainly respect your right to hold a different point of view. It's just that people often miss the fact that inflation in India was very high from 2011-2014, triggered a sharp fall in the INR, and triggered higher prices for most imports. And people often miss the tax increases that impacted ex showroom prices as well. Comparing prices across markets or across time needs to take these differences into account. Yes, despite this, barriers such as homologation rules mean that the law of one price does not apply to automobiles. Sorry to be going off topic but thought it important to clarify.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 09:04   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Remember, any GST related reduction will apply across the board, so the Tucson and CRV will also drop prices to the same extent. So we cannot compare current prices of these with post GST price of Tiguan.
Thanks for calling out. I implicitly meant the same .
Old 29th May 2017, 10:29   #295
BHPian

Checked the Tiguan out in the VW Hosur road showroom. There's a black one on display.

Amazing body lines and the lights are to die for. Seriously! Interiors are well done and it's typical VW clean lines all around including the interior. The panaromic sunroof is quite nice and brings a nice feel or airiness into the cabin. Rear seat space is abundant even with another 5 11" person in front. The ground clearance does feel low. What I really liked it the seating position. But the seats are kinda bucket-like and so not sure if bigger guys will find it too "cozy". The boot is good, large and flat. Definitely an excellent long-range vehicle for a family of four.

Sales guy said that test drives will commence next week and deliveries will be about a month. On road is about 40.5 in Bangalore.

They also have an off-roading event scheduled in Hennur this weekend. He was asking if I was interested. I most probably will be out of town but put my name in for that anyway.

Overall, it's still a bit over-priced but I may have to backtrack on the hate I poured earlier.
Old 29th May 2017, 19:17   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post

Overall, it's still a bit over-priced but I may have to backtrack on the hate I poured earlier.
My impression was somewhat opposite after a short look around and test drive. I probably went with higher expectation.

Looks - Clean, especially the headlight cluster looks beautiful. Overall it is an overgrown hatchback and absolutely no SUV stance from any angle except from rear. Creta has better road presence than Tiguan from most angle. (I have felt Creta has better road presence than Tucson also).

Interiors - Again it is clean and very practical. Nothing catches your eye particularity (it can be taken as a positive note as well). Material quality is just fine. There were many places with hard plastics (mostly below knee level).

Seats - Comfortable, but narrow. Rear legroom is good but I felt the overall width of rear seat was lesser than Tucson and X1.

Engine and Transmission - Surprisingly it is far better than I expected (or my expectation was lesser knowing 143PS). Power is adequate and gear shifts are pretty good as you would expect from a DSG. Throttle response was good and I hardly felt any turbo lag. I feel it can be a very good highway cruiser. Can't really say if SPORT mode made any difference. Tucson's SPORT mode was noticeably better.

Steering and driving - Good to hold and very light, but not so enthusiastic. My test drive was too short to say anything more. Driving is as peppy as a hatchback. Visibility all around is very good too.

Ground clearance - Dealer says they measured and it is surely 200mm. It believe that is the case from the appearance.

ComfortLine vs HighLine - 5L extra on road for couple of extra features and that too only sunroof being the noticeable one is not worth the extra money in my opinion. Reverse camera can be an easy aftermarket add-on. So ComfortLine is going be much more comfortable to your pocket.

Overall I feel if Tucson comes with all black interior, AWD, panoramic sunroof, it will be a better package even if the price is matched. If Tucson doesn't launch at least AWD in a month, Tiguan ComfortLine may be my choice. X1 is in consideration only if discounts are attractive.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 21:31   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Seats - Comfortable, but narrow. Rear legroom is good but I felt the overall width of rear seat was lesser than Tucson and X1..
First, super jealous that you got a test drive and I didn't.

Second, did you feel that this was wider than the X1?

The VW sales guy said that it is dimensionally bigger than the X1 on all measures. I'd guess so but I too felt that it was a bit narrow. But this was a 5 minute look into the car and so I may not have sized things up right.
Old 29th May 2017, 22:03   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Second, did you feel that this was wider than the X1?
No I felt X1 is wider in the rear. On the spec Tiguan is wider by 2cm (that is not a lot though). May be the doors are thinner in X1 allowing more width for rear seat?

BTW, I am only referring to the width of the seat itself. Shoulder space may be better in Tiguan.

I just happened to be at spot when the car arrived to dealership
Old 29th May 2017, 23:15   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
My impression was somewhat opposite after a short look around and test drive. I probably went with higher expectation.

Looks - Clean, especially the headlight cluster looks beautiful. Overall it is an overgrown hatchback and absolutely no SUV stance from any angle except from rear. Creta has better road presence than Tiguan from most angle. (I have felt Creta has better road presence than Tucson also).
Agreed completely, the first time I saw the Tucson, it was at night and from the back and a little distance, I thought it's an i20 and then I saw the black cladding, then I thought it's an i20 active
Only to later realise it's the Tucson. The rear is pretty forgettable. On the other hand Creta is somehow unmistakably an SUV
Old 30th May 2017, 11:18   #300
BHPian

VW in Bangalore is organizing an 'adventure event' where they are calling upon prospective buyers to test drive the Tiguan in off road conditions. This event is being held this Friday/Saturday. While I won't be able to make it (I am travelling), anyone who is interested can reach out to VW Whitefield for more information.

Here is the message I got from the sales guy:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Tough on the outside and luxurious on the inside, the all new Volkswagen Tiguan has arrived.

An adventure in itself, the new Tiguan beautifully blends premium with the rugged, giving you a thorough experience of an adventure while still being the epitome of luxury.

But, don’t just take our word for it.

Come live the adventure for yourself by participating at one of our experience tracks at the following venue :
Address : Meco Kartopia, No. 49, 51, 53/1-2-3, Hennur Bagalur Road, Chaggalagatti Village, Jalla (H), Bengaluru, Karnataka.

Experience the Tiguan in its sheer glory while you take it through a pre-determined obstacle course. A course that is specially designed to test the limitations of its solid build, advanced technology, dependable safety features.

The tests that will be a part of this experience are as follows:

Ground clearance & Cross Axle capabilities.
ABS
Moose test
Hill Hold & Traction
Side Incline test

Kindly call back for more information.

Last edited by nileshch : 30th May 2017 at 11:24. Reason: minor corrections
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks