Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2017, 20:20   #316
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Saw the VW Tiguan at a local showroom. The SUV looks good & solidly built. The sales rep was explaining that the Tiguan is feature rich and has features that are in the current Mercedes GLA, Audi Q3 & BMW X1 models. I did not take a test drive at this time so cannot comment on the ride quality currently. However, the SUV looked really nice from inside. The trunk was also of a decent size. I was also told that the trunk opens if one stands behind it and merely waves. I was not able to get a demo of it though as the SUV I was looking at was inside the showroom and was asked to wait until the 2nd vehicle which was out for a test drive arrived.

Amongst a host of features that are available, to name a few, for the 2 back seat passengers, there are tray tables that fold out similar to the ones in Innova Crysta, a full sun roof, on the driver's door there is a button which help open & close the trunk, fully power controlled drivers seat etc. The ingress & egress of this SUV was also just right, I thought. The central console screen looks a decent size. Unlike the Hyundai Creta & Tuscon, the back seat did not feel claustrophobic as the window line was not high. Overall the cabin felt spacious.

One obvious thing noticed was in the second row, the middle passenger has to deal with the 'big hump'. It is fairly large so the middle seat passenger in the 2nd row will need to spread their feet across this protuberance.

This SUV comes only in 2 variants - Highline & Comfortline. The on road price quoted for the highline was INR 38L & comfortline was INR 34L, but was told that post GST the prices could reduce, but they did not know currently by how much.

In all, the VW Tiguan is a great looking SUV that seems to be of right proportion for both, city & highway driving.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th June 2017 at 15:04. Reason: Typo
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 21:09   #317
BHPian

Yesterday I went to the Volkswagen showroom to see the Tiguan along with my family. The moment we sat inside my family absolutely loved the Interiors. They are simple and very elegant. You can feel the overall build quality of this lovely SUV. It's a perfect size for city and highway. My wife loved it as she was able to drive it in the city compared to other big size Suv's. Now just waiting for GST prices.
puneetghai1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 21:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

A good video of the Tiguan off road. The real world ground clearance seems fine and it certainly looks like a capable machine without the bling of the big three Germans.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 4th June 2017 at 21:42.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 11:11   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the way it dismisses the off-road course. If I had 40L (BLR OTR) to spare, Tiguan would have been a definite contender!

However, I don't (have 40 lakhs), and for that amount of money, I can buy another Octavia TSI and a very competent Duster too.

Frankly, am unsure of the value proposition to the vast majority of luxury buyers. My 60+ neighbour has a budget of around 50L and is not even considering the Tiguan because to him and his wife, 1. VW is not a luxury brand, & 2. Tiguan is perceived as too small.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th June 2017 at 11:13. Reason: Typo
Old 5th June 2017, 11:36   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
.....How much different will the Torsen in the Quattro feel to the Haldex in 4Motion while driving? I am not asking about their performance off-road.....
With sincere apologies in advance, I'd say this is a no-brainer! The Haldex clutch, while undoubtedly a clever device, needs external inputs (electro-hydraulic) with its attendant gremlins. Whereas the Torsen (and its various derivatives) is the only device that does not need any external input whatsoever and is the only device that works in real time. Its major drawback is that it is more power absorbent than other types of LSDs, and needs higher machining tolerances, hence the higher cost. If one were to nit-pick one could also say that the Torsen senses torque rather than wheel-spin & is thus best suited for vehicles with effective EBD!

Last edited by shashanka : 5th June 2017 at 11:43.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 12:26   #321
BHPian

After looking at the videos posted a few posts earlier a majority of the interiors look very much like the Jetta I am currently using. This will definitely put me off. I wish they had some product differentiation between various models. Now the vento looks almost like a Jetta.

I understand same parts bin and all that stuff, but that should have helped lower the price from the current silly prices of around 40L onroad.
mav2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 18:57   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yes, it makes total sense if one is inclined to pick the Q3 front wheel drive. But the Quattro with more power in its stock form and a better transmission is not that easy to ignore.

How much different will the Torsen in the Quattro feel to the Haldex in 4Motion while driving? I am not asking about their performance off-road. But say for highway runs in Kerala especially during the monsoon. Which one will be more fun? Which one would be more assured and faster? Is it a slam-dunk for the Quattro?

PS: I guess you are well placed to answer this question with that monster 3.6 FSI 4x4 in the garage.
The Q3 will feel similar. As far as I know the Q3 too has a haldex all wheel drive system. I don't think Audi uses the torsen system in any vehicle with a transverse mounted engine.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 19:46   #323
BHPian

I own a Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance. Its clocked around 93k now. No problems with the car whatsoever. It still puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel, it just doesn't stop surprising me even today after 5 years of a trouble free motoring. I had been eyeing the Mercedes GLA even though I knew that it wasn't great on paper. So I hired a GLA and took it on a 100km test drive and I came away unimpressed. The ergonomics weren't that great. I am looking for a premium badge. But that of course comes with higher running costs as well. The Tiguan on paper is essentially the same car as the Yeti. Its got the newer platform and the much needed auto DSG. So its essentially the same tasteful recipe that the Yeti offers with more features of course. I know that the power is the same at 140BHP, but I feel that it really hits the sweet spot of being adequately powerful as well as economical. It really is a no brainer for me and is an ideal upgrade. I also always look for a vehicle that offers a little bit of exclusivity. The Tiguan is also irresistible compared to the big three rivalling german brands as it offers too much as stock out of the box. Waiting for July for the price revisions.
autoskooll is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 20:37   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

When I bought the India assembled SKD Yeti in 2011 at 19.5 lacs the GBP was ruling at about Rs 80 and the Yeti same spec was priced around 27000 GBP and AUD was at about Rs 55-56 and the Yeti same spec was priced around 43000 -45000 AUD. Certainly comparable and fair prices.

Today the GBP is low at 70 ish and AUD is around 48.

Even more reason why the pricing ought to be comparable.
I suspect you have mixed up your currencies a bit there. The Euro is currently in the low 70s while the GBP is in the low 80s.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:54   #325
BHPian

Hey guys, have good news i visited the VW Showroom in Gurgaon to see the Tiguan and the sales rep told me that they received a email of the post GST prices and the price is supposedly going down by 1.5 lacs on the ex-showroom. Don't Know the credibility of his statement but he sounded pretty confident and offered me a test drive on the 9th or 10th of June as they are holding a event in Gurgaon.
Old 5th June 2017, 22:56   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Hey guys, have good news i visited the VW Showroom in Gurgaon to see the Tiguan and the sales rep told me that they received a email of the post GST prices and the price is supposedly going down by 1.5 lacs on the ex-showroom.
On which variant? I would assume it is on ComfortLine.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 23:10   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoskooll View Post
I own a Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance. Its clocked around 93k now.
Nice to see the Yeti holding up great but I believe the Tiguan wouldn't be much of an upgrade in terms of the the power, dynamics or capability. The only upgrade would be the automatic and few niceties like sunroof, button start etc.

Its just because the Yeti was so good at that time, and the Tiguan is priced twice that (of when Yeti came out). Maybe an upcoming Audi product with stellar build could be enough. And looking forward to your thoughts on how good of an improvement it is over the Yeti.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 23:34   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, have good news i visited the VW Showroom in Gurgaon to see the Tiguan and the sales rep told me that they received a email of the post GST prices and the price is supposedly going down by 1.5 lacs on the ex-showroom. Don't Know the credibility of his statement but he sounded pretty confident and offered me a test drive on the 9th or 10th of June as they are holding a event in Gurgaon.

Not sure that is great news. I was hoping VW would pass on the full benefits of GST related cost reduction, including input tax credit on services etc. In that case, we should have seen a reduction of 8-10%, it appears they are passing on less than 5%, assuming you are speaking of the highline.

I was also hoping VW would recognise the vehicle is overpriced based on tepid market response and use the GST event as an excuse to make a further price reduction of about Rs. 2 lakh or so. Remember, GST related reduction will bring prices of all competitors down as well, so eventually an overpriced product now will remain overpriced post GST as well.

All in all, I was expecting the highlife to come in at 26-27 Lakhs ex-showroom, around 32 Lakhs on road post GST and other corrections. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 23:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would expect a reduction of about 6-7% post GST..

By the year end, other discounts may follow, which can make it very interesting..
Old 6th June 2017, 01:53   #330
BHPian

The Tiguan would not be much of an upgrade as compared to the Yeti. I'm not really big on change as this combination really works for me. Its a car that appeals to both the head and heart. Its in fact the same car with a different badge. The only reason I am even considering replacing the Yeti is its high mileage and boredom. I recently even considered sprucing it up with a few cosmetic upgrades to keep it interesting. I was at one point even considering replacing it with another Yeti (facelift version), Skoda having now discontinued it, they should definitely have some left in their inventory. But the Tiguan is a size up in terms of space and I really like the design as well. Did some comparisons between the Yeti & the Tiguan. Some key differences are a newer version of the new MQB V2 Platform, Next generation 2.0 Tdi with 2bhp more. Its about 200 Kg's heavier, longer wheel base, a newer generation of the Haldex Coupling. I still need some clarity on the GC.

Last edited by autoskooll : 6th June 2017 at 02:00.
autoskooll is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks