Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 13:13   #346
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
review
"........those inherently Volkswagen traits will allow it to appeal to a very specific customer." That is good gobble-de-gook from Autocarindia - translated into layman's English that would roughly mean that it's sales figures may possibly cross double digits. At the cost of repeating myself, all the gold-plating in the world will not help VW overcome the innate Indian genius for spotting VFM - or the lack of it.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2017 at 16:00. Reason: Fixed quotes
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 19:29   #347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
That is good gobble-de-gook from Autocarindia -
And here's Overdrive saying the same -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 05:53   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And here's Overdrive saying the same - ....
Thanks, CrAzy dRiVeR!! Like the rest of them, Mr. Paradkar too likes the sound of his voice articulating that lovely prepared script of ding-bat nonsense. But I also feel a sense of helplessness that the fat-cat mfrs brigade (VW, Audi et al) are making such serious efforts at analysing the psyche of our yuppy community - and apparently have come to the conclusion that they can be led up the garden path (by this kind of sales candy-floss) by a section of the motoring press. But as I said earlier, I trust our own VFM sensibilities & that is the reason for the poor performance of this lot of mfrs. Apart of course from the emissions-gate baggage that VW is likely to carry for many more years

Last edited by shashanka : 10th June 2017 at 05:55.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 09:33   #349
Senior - BHPian

Emission gate baggage is long done and dusted, as far as market is concerned. Off-course the Company needs time to cope with the financial offset.. which IMO is not a great challenge for a company like VW. ��

The term VFM can be subjective at times..

I am keenly waiting for our official review, which will be the most trustworthy information in this industry. ��

Last edited by Chethan B G : 10th June 2017 at 09:35.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 09:57   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mr. Paradkar too likes the sound of his voice articulating that lovely prepared script of ding-bat nonsense.
The reviewer is quite painful to listen to, but I am quite in agreement with what they (OD and Autocar) said about the car. Its like how the Jetta was in the mid-premium sedan space - understated and solid. If I am in the market for a car of this size/price range I would pick the Tiguan ahead of the Tucson, or even the Q3 or GLA.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 11:05   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The reviewer is quite painful to listen to, but I am quite in agreement with what they (OD and Autocar) said about the car. Its like how the Jetta was in the mid-premium sedan space - understated and solid. If I am in the market for a car of this size/price range I would pick the Tiguan ahead of the Tucson, or even the Q3 or GLA.
Absolutely!

But X1 is a contender if I had the budget.. Also, Jeep Compass looks interesting!! 😊
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 11:21   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Emission gate baggage is long done and dusted, as far as market is concerned......
Quite so,..........as far as the market is concerned. Public memory & perception is somewhat different. Though of course, with our tendency to deify & pedestal-ise all things falling under the category of "teutonic engineering", diversity of opinion among different sections is to be expected. Speaking personally, I believe that "german engineering" is rather past its shelf life, with so many other contenders for the title.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 12:58   #353
BANNED

Quote:
Hi deetjohn,
I enjoyed going through the..........For pictorial depictions (& accompanying text) of the torsen, Alan Wenbourne's article (A clutch of differentials) is fascinating -
file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/A%20Clutch%20of%20Differentials%20-%20South%20East%20London%20Meccano%20Club.html
I'd like to make a correction to the above post. The link provided is incorrect & the error is regretted.

The link to Alan Wenbourne's article should have been :https://www.selmec.org.uk/Downloads/...ferentials.pdf
Old 10th June 2017, 13:44   #354
BHPian

We can compare the Tiguan features to the likes of Audi Q3, BMW X1 and Mercedes GLA, which are essentially cross-over SUVs (not mid-size SUVs). However, the Tiguan's boot space (615 liters) is larger and comparable to those of the Q5, X3 & GLC which are a variant higher and more of mid-size SUVs. In fact the Tiguan's boot capacity is larger than that of the Hyundai's Tuscon also. This extra boot space sometimes goes a long way if occasionally one needs to transport furniture items, bicycle etc. Of course one can argue why not have a bicycle stand to mount the bike on the trunk while transporting - which is also a good option.

The Tiguan surely looks solid and although may not carry the badge value like the 3 entry level Germans, is surely easier on regular annual maintenance costs, repairs (if ever required), insurance premium etc. Those looking for a mid-size SUV, the Tiguan could be a good option as comparable mid-size SUVs in the top 3 Germans will cross INR 50L on road price.
geotracks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 18:58   #355
BHPian

Here is the Autocar review of Tiguan. In the end Renuka says, people feel VW doesn't command such premium!

Old 10th June 2017, 19:34   #356
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
We can compare the Tiguan features to the likes of Audi Q3, BMW X1 and Mercedes GLA, which are essentially cross-over SUVs (not mid-size SUVs). However, the Tiguan's boot space (615 liters) is larger and comparable to those of the Q5, X3 & GLC which are a variant higher and more of mid-size SUVs. In fact the Tiguan's boot capacity is larger than that of the Hyundai's Tuscon also. This extra boot space sometimes goes a long way if occasionally one needs to transport furniture items, bicycle etc. ad price.

I agree with what you say. 38 lacs on road as compared to 54 lacs for example (for the GLA Active (AWD)) is a much better deal given the features that the VW has.

Two questions:

In the Tiguan, as in the Yeti, can the rear seats be completely flattened and/ or removed at will, to free up tons of space in the rear?

Does the Tiguan, pass the 'lateral golf bag placement test' where the golf bag is placed laterally in the boot?

Would be obliged for your answers!
Old 11th June 2017, 00:23   #357
BHPian

The Autocar review is pretty much like a summary of most of this thread. The way they position it is:
  • Targetted as a product against the X1 and Q3
  • Price is in the same bracket as the Fortuner and Endeavour
  • Size is similar to the Hyundai Tuscon

And then ending the review by politely calling it overpriced as a Volkswagen product; "The brand Volkswagen isn't up there to command this premium yet."

With all that said it's clear that it's in a niche of its own; how it sells and how it's perceived remains to be seen.
Old 11th June 2017, 09:10   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Jetta! Made me think for a while. After all, it is one of my favorite cars and one I would have really liked to upgrade to!

That said, I disagree with you. Tiguan is in no position like what the Jetta was for its segment.

There are three people I know who has bought the Jetta. And adding myself too, as this was the cheapest car me and wife both had agreed as the best upgrade for us, few months back. Analysing why each of us would have bought this car-

1. My friend bought it long back when it was launched. He bought it because it was a brilliant car to drive. And his father agreed on the badge value of Volkswagen, for the segment.

2. My hometown neighbor bought it as a small car for their garage. Yes, small car because their garage was full of the luxury Germans and they wanted one which was easier for daily use, but without feeling like a compromise. A fourth car in the family. Jetta brought value to the table with lot of space, solid build and a good diesel engine.

3. My present landlord has one. Both him and his son loves driving and the Jetta was the best fun to drive diesel for them. Plus the black Jetta they have looks class!

4. I would have bought it for the balanced combination of engine power, ride/ handling, diesel economy and superior build quality. There were almost no negatives I could point out for the Jetta, for my requirement as a highway cruiser. Plus my wife loved it for the build quality.

Would any of us have bought the Tiguan if we could afford? I doubt.

Best diesel car to drive? Doesn't look like, for the price. Lot less will get the Compass and bit more will get the X1.
Power? Below average for price.
Build quality? Yes. Looks good.
Interiors? Understated but lacks any sort of design flair.
Brand name? Below average for price.

Looks? Understated side and front. Estate like rear.
Road Presence? Below average for the price.
Off road ability? Below average. Low GC.
Best compromise between on-road and offroad? Looks more road biased.
Value? Below average. Priced well above expectations.

The buyers who would still go ahead would be those who would spend 40L, doesn't want brand value, doesn't want the best driving experience, doesn't want the road presence, doesn't want the off road ability, and won't look to save money by looking at other similar sized options which are way cheaper, or larger options which are similarly priced. I'd be surprised if those small number of VW fans turn up in double digit numbers every month for the long term.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 09:52   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jetta! Made me think for a while. After all, it is one of my favorite cars and one I would have really liked to upgrade to!

That said, I disagree with you. Tiguan is in no position like what the Jetta was for its segment.

There are three people I know who has bought the Jetta. And adding myself too, as this was the cheapest car me and wife both had agreed as the best upgrade for us, few months back. Analysing why each of us would have bought this car-

1. My friend bought it long back when it was launched. He bought it because it was a brilliant car to drive. And his father agreed on the badge value of Volkswagen, for the segment.

2. My hometown neighbor bought it as a small car for their garage. Yes, small car because their garage was full of the luxury Germans and they wanted one which was easier for daily use, but without feeling like a compromise. A fourth car in the family. Jetta brought value to the table with lot of space, solid build and a good diesel engine.

3. My present landlord has one. Both him and his son loves driving and the Jetta was the best fun to drive diesel for them. Plus the black Jetta they have looks class!

4. I would have bought it for the balanced combination of engine power, ride/ handling, diesel economy and superior build quality. There were almost no negatives I could point out for the Jetta, for my requirement as a highway cruiser. Plus my wife loved it for the build quality.

Would any of us have bought the Tiguan if we could afford? I doubt.

Best diesel car to drive? Doesn't look like, for the price. Lot less will get the Compass and bit more will get the X1.
Power? Below average for price.
Build quality? Yes. Looks good.
Interiors? Understated but lacks any sort of design flair.
Brand name? Below average for price.

Looks? Understated side and front. Estate like rear.
Road Presence? Below average for the price.
Off road ability? Below average. Low GC.
Best compromise between on-road and offroad? Looks more road biased.
Value? Below average. Priced well above expectations.

The buyers who would still go ahead would be those who would spend 40L, doesn't want brand value, doesn't want the best driving experience, doesn't want the road presence, doesn't want the off road ability, and won't look to save money by looking at other similar sized options which are way cheaper, or larger options which are similarly priced. I'd be surprised if those small number of VW fans turn up in double digit numbers every month for the long term.
The car looked great when I first saw it in the Delhi Auto Expo and I will disagree on the looks part as looks are subjective. But what matters is the fact that the new BMW X1 isn't far away when you are thinking of purchasing Tiguan. If I had money, I will spend a little more to get the X1. To me Volkswagen has overpriced the product.
Old 11th June 2017, 10:17   #360
BHPian

I think the main problem the Tiguan will face will be it's power output. It doesn't stand a chance between the lower priced Compass and higher priced German trio so it is stuck in "Thirulok Sangam" (neither here nor there)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks