Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:40   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass

Mod note: Moved the post here so that we don't go offtopic on the Compass thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

18" tyres on Tiguan are 235 55 R18 spec. Total sidewall is 235 * 55% = 129.25 mm.
====
VW Tiguan Highline shouldn't be bone jarring.
Well i am commenting based on the drive experience that i have had as a driver and passenger at rear. The numbers you quote all look good, maybe works when it comes to saving that alloy rim also.

But.... there is a very important factor knows as "suspension tune" that comes in, my feeling is the current tune is towards handling & high speed performance and that too biased for those lovely European roads. This somehow is a disaster on Indian roads, gives a bone jarring ride with 3 people in the car, i have experienced it and so did my co passengers. Unfortunately we did not have the lower spec car to drive, so cannot confirm on the difference but gut feel it would be much better.

Now you might ask why other reviews have not spoken about this, most likely they never sat at the rear Which would have been the case for us also, but due to various reasons we got to experience the rear seat for many 100s of kilometers of varying road condition. The issue was so annoying that we did air pressure correction to spec first thing the second day morning.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:00   #407
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Saw a Tiguan on the opposite lane yesterday. It was actually the LED DRLs that caught my eyes, and then for a few seconds - I couldnt figure out which VW was that.

Looks handsome in typical VW understated fashion. The rear however is just as I feared from pics - A tall station wagon rather than an SUV.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 13:08   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to the Tiguan off-road drive event organized by VW in Chennai last weekend. A couple of highline Tiguans in white, silver and grey were available. There were professional instructors as well.

We did about half a dozen things:
  • Pedal to metal acceleration and sudden braking on gravel
  • Steep downhill descent to demonstrate Downhill Assist
  • Steep uphill climb to demonstrate hill start assist
  • Driving with two wheels at two different levels, demonstrating lateral roll stability
  • Rumblers made of wooden logs
  • Articulation pits
Overall the vehicle did very well. The portion with wheels at two different levels was breathtaking, the vehicle was at least 20-25 degrees inclined side to side. The rapid acceleration and braking maneuver once again demonstrated that the engine tune was quite good for rapid speed pick up from stand still and the brakes were quite strong. The one negative I felt was the steering seemed too light at slow speeds. You could twirl it with your little finger! Although good on tarmac, you do wish for a bit fore feel and resistance from the steering off-road.

Attaching some snaps of the test vehicle.

Got a call from the dealer today. Apparently VW is being completely tight lipped about the post GST pricing. All factory invoicing and shipments will be done post July 1. My suspicion is that VW is being caught off-guard by the Jeeep Compass' aggressive pricing moves and strong success in gathering over a 1000 bookings in 3 days. VW has probably not even reached a tenth of that level with the Tiguan and may be re-thinking the pricing strategy from scratch. I hope they use the GST pretext to drop prices quite a bit to garner some share of the market when it is so bullish on compact SUVs. VW would do well to drop around 5 lacs from the the initial pricing fixed at launch in May on both variants. They will then have a very competitive offering indeed, with a Diesel Auto immediately available which the Compass cannot offer till next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104017.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104029.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104056.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104124.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104146.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104253.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104258.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104315.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104406.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_104445.jpg  

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-img_20170617_110034.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 11:21   #409

I've been driving a VW 2016 Tiguan 2.0 S TSI for the last 15 months in US. I did mention the Pros and Cons of this vehicle in one of my earlier post.

I was really keen about the pricing since I gave some thought about buying this vehicle when I return to India, hence this 2nd post.

Although the US vehicle and India vehicle are different, considering the overall package - it's definitely over priced for what Tiguan offers. If 'Jeep' is going to price its new SUV as per the rumour mill of 20 lakh tag, VW will have a tough time convincing the customers about the value add. A mere German branding over US may not be sufficient for the customers to shell out another 7-10 lakhs.

Even in US, the basic Tiguan is priced around USD 26000 which is 3000-5000 dollars above the rivals in the same segment. While the rivals may not be as classy as a VW, the practical utilities they offer will outsmart Tiguan. It's not a surprise that many Tiguans in US are leased by the customers (I am one of them).

It'll be interesting to see how it's going to fare in the market.
IMPB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 12:06   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPB View Post
Although the US vehicle and India vehicle are different, considering the overall package - it's definitely over priced for what Tiguan offers.

Even in US, the basic Tiguan is priced around USD 26000 which is 3000-5000 dollars above the rivals in the same segment.
The Tiguan on sale in the US is the previous generation one.

Starting prices cannot be compared because we are getting the latest Gen model with diesel engine and 4motion as standard, effectively the top two trims of the car available in the UK/Europe albeit in a lower engine tune.

I'll be surprised if the Jeep greatly outsells the Tiguan despite the significant expected price gap. Like it or not VW has built a premium image for itself in India and their desirability will far outstrip that of the Jeep brand. Jeep would also do well to avoid any visible association with Fiat.

Price wise I feel all cars in this segment have moved up significantly, but so have equipment levels. I wish VW had brought the FWD models as well at 3 lakhs below the current prices, but obviously this is part of their premium image strategy.

I'm never going to be able to afford a Tiguan, so maybe that helps me be objective, but for what it offers I think the Tiguan is worth it.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 06:57   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mod note: Moved the post here so that we don't go offtopic on the Compass thread
Well i am commenting based on the drive experience that i have had as a driver and passenger at rear. The numbers you quote all look good, maybe works when it comes to saving that alloy rim also.
But.... there is a very important factor knows as "suspension tune" that comes in, my feeling is the current tune is towards handling & high speed performance and that too biased for those lovely European roads. This somehow is a disaster on Indian roads, gives a bone jarring ride with 3 people in the car, i have experienced it and so did my co passengers. Unfortunately we did not have the lower spec car to drive, so cannot confirm on the difference but gut feel it would be much better.
Now you might ask why other reviews have not spoken about this, most likely they never sat at the rear Which would have been the case for us also, but due to various reasons we got to experience the rear seat for many 100s of kilometers of varying road condition. The issue was so annoying that we did air pressure correction to spec first thing the second day morning.
That I think is a very perceptive comment. I too have experienced it (in an Alfasud cab, from Tarragona to Barcelona, Spain) down the cliff-hugging coastal road, a distance of some 100 km, to catch the flight home after signing-off. Some of the the comparable Indian roads are, I am told, the new freeways across Gujarat (I haven't driven on them).

For some reason, high-speed surfacing is still not widely/well-adapted in India. And the result, as you mention, is the bone jarring effect, that seems to creep in through the steering wheel too!

Last edited by shashanka : 26th June 2017 at 07:00.
Old 26th June 2017, 22:22   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
For some reason, high-speed surfacing is still not widely/well-adapted in India. And the result, as you mention, is the bone jarring effect, that seems to creep in through the steering wheel too!
Steering it does not creep at all, am talking about the vibrations, rather the road surface filtering through the suspension on to the rear seats. It is more a Toyota fortuner in that sense, than a Jetta
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 11:09   #413
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Steering it does not creep at all, am talking about the vibrations, rather the road surface filtering through the suspension on to the rear seats. It is more a Toyota fortuner in that sense, than a Jetta
Ah, well then, - I'm fortunate I think! My ancient Scorpio (rear leaf springs, yes!) is in august company - a Fortuner,after all!
And tho' I haven't experienced the rear seat comfort so far, I think I have a fair idea of what to expect. And my respect for our
occasional rear seat passenger's silent fortitude has grown!

Last edited by shashanka : 28th June 2017 at 11:12.
Old 5th July 2017, 21:04   #414
Team-BHP Support

Has VW announced the prices for the Tiguan post GST?

The new GLA has been launched at prices starting 30.65L to 33.85L for the 2WD and 36.75L for the 4MATIC.

Hope VW responds accordingly.
Old 5th July 2017, 21:09   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Has VW announced the prices for the Tiguan post GST?
This article http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...rices-4736645/ states 3.3L correction.
Except this one, I don't find anything else on internet So I would assume this guy probably looked at carwale and cooked up the news.

I too believe GLA could put pressure on VW.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 21:56   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

I do not believe VW has officially announced revised post GST prices. At least my dealer is not aware. The GLA launch will indeed put pressure on VW. I think the big 3 are in a numbers race and the cars that are giving them significant volume are the entry SUVs - Q3, X1 and GLA. The Q3, although an late model, has caught the fancy of the 30 something crowd, with its SUV looks and Audi flair and the slow "sinking in" of its presence over the last few years with he casual Byers. GLA is an odd looker and arrived 3-4 year ahead of its time in terms of market needs and wants. Yet it has the interior quality and fit and finish of a true blue Mercedes. All three companies will keep up pricing pressure in this segment through price adjustments, variant adjustments or discounts to attract the first time luxury buyer into their fold.

Unless VW use this opportunity (of GST related price correction) to massively reduce prices of the Tiguan (say 5-7 lacs or so) it is certainly going to struggle vis-a-vis its positioning against the X1/Q3/GLA trio.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th July 2017 at 21:58.
Old 7th July 2017, 11:49   #417
Team-BHP Support

The new advertisement for the Tiguan. "Let the adventure begin".
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 12:36   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw the Tiguan on the road for the first time today. Was disappointed to see how plain jane it looks, blends in with our regular traffic completely without standing out one bit. Jetta on steroids. It is no head turner whatsoever. The new Fortuner is miles ahead in terms of road presence.

However, I quite like the size of the SUV. It's not too big nor too small.
I saw a black one, perhaps a lighter color would look slightly more attractive. VW should consider launching the R-Line version because at this price point good presence is important.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 15:36   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Just spoke to my dealer, curious to know the post GST pricing for Tiguan. I had booked the Tiguan expecting a significant reduction in prices post GST. The updated price list is due on Monday. The delay, he say, is on account of the fact that some components are imported while some are domestically produced. Didn't really see the sense of this, because I am sure it is the case with most cars.

The deal says he expects a price reduction around 2 lacs, which is too little i my opinion. I was expecting a much higher price correction in the guise of a GST fix.

VW has taken out a full page ad in the Hindu today on the Tiguan, I wonder why they can't wait till the prices are known before they do all this marketing. Seems disjointed.
Old 10th July 2017, 19:03   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Just spoke to my dealer, curious to know the post GST pricing for Tiguan. I had booked the Tiguan expecting a significant reduction in prices post GST. The updated price list is due on Monday. The delay, he say, is on account of the fact that some components are imported while some are domestically produced. Didn't really see the sense of this, because I am sure it is the case with most cars.
Did you hear back from VW? I wonder why are they adamantly delaying the announcement when most European manufacturers have offered decent correction.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks