Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 21:18   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Skoda usually undercuts VW. So couple of more lakhs and you can have a 7-seater crossover with everything Tiguan would offer.
I doubt this would be the case. I expect it to be priced at a premium to the Superb.

The Endeavour is an option but just not comfortable with the idea of driving that around tight lanes, or worse parking there. Heck, parking at home would be a little bit of a pain as well.
Plus as a primarily chauffeur driven vehicle, comfort is of prime importance which these large SUVs lack!
A good 5 days a week the car would be driven by my driver, and I'd only enjoy it in the nights/weekends.

But it's still a possibility in my mind, esp with the price cuts (and removal of octroi).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th July 2017 at 21:30. Reason: Endy > Endeavour.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 21:35   #437
BHPian

Test drove the tiguan highline today. I am looking for a replacement for my e90 320d.

The car is a nice package but I feel it is ridiculously priced for what it offers. It feels very much like my Jetta and the interiors look almost the same. The quality feels good.

I had taken the bmw along for comparison. The suspension seems to be on the firmer side with the 18 inchers, dare I say; almost like the beemer on tubeless tyres. The performance is adequate, and is comparable to the Jetta. Rear seat and interior space are the huge plus points.

I also drove the x1 20d base version. The ride is much better than the tiguan even with the 17 inch run flats. The performance is much better than the tiguan. Though equipment and AWD are lacking. The new price difference between the base x1 and HL tiguan is about 2 L on road. Now I am really confused. The x1 seems to be a tempting buy. I just need the bigger boot and increased GC than the 320d and AWD and sunroof are not a must.

In this situation, I am considering holding on to the 320d and get a new compass.
differential is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 08:31   #438
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I am asking as I would like my next car to be something I can take out of town on road trips, and even venture into some unknown territory once in a while.
Size is important as 80% of the time will be spent fighting city traffic, as is an Auto gearbox.
I feel Tiguan indeed is the right option for you. Its tad expensive, but I feel its still good value for what it offers. Alternately can wait for Jeep to launch the Compass with an auto box.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 12:33   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post

I also drove the x1 20d base version. The ride is much better than the tiguan even with the 17 inch run flats. The performance is much better than the tiguan. Though equipment and AWD are lacking.
How is the leg space and seating comfort of the X1 compared to the Tiguan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel Tiguan indeed is the right option for you. Its tad expensive, but I feel its still good value for what it offers. Alternately can wait for Jeep to launch the Compass with an auto box.
That's the dilemma. Doesn't help that the X1/Octavia/Tucson are in the same price bracket, and though I lose out on AWD - these cars can handle 99% of the roads I will ever travel upon.

It's just an indulgence for that 1% of time and a desire - but hey, that's what makes us human right and the Tiguan seems like the best compromise. My only concern are the posts regarding ride quality being a little too stiff (the E90 on tubeless is hardly comfortable).

Thankfully time is on my side, as the Skoda and Etios are both running fairly well (barring some issues post dieselgate update), so may just pick up a sedan first, and then an SUV once the new CR-V, and Compass AT are launched.
Old 13th July 2017, 19:54   #440
BHPian

The offer I am getting on X1 is 38.5L on expedition and 43.5L on xLine. X1 is ridiculously priced in Bangalore even after the GST correction.

This isn't going to be easy for me! Pay lot more for those extra BHP + better transmission in X1 or compromise for the sake of AWD and savings in Tiguan.

Heart says X1 and mind says Tiguan.

Wife and kids say, why change car unless we are getting something with Panoramic Sunroof!

I am completely baffled.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 20:04   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Heart says X1 and mind says Tiguan.

Wife and kids say, why change car unless we are getting something with Panoramic Sunroof!

I am completely baffled.
Endeavour?

Kodiaq is around the corner as well. Might be the best of both your options.
Old 13th July 2017, 20:35   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Endeavour?

Kodiaq is around the corner as well. Might be the best of both your options.
Endeavour - Bulkiness and and American brand are not in favor. I did test drive and felt not my kind.

Kodiaq - Should I be optimistic about their pricing after having seen all the recent launches. I have looked at all the European reviews and it looks like an impressive package.
Old 13th July 2017, 20:51   #443
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Endeavour - Bulkiness and and American brand are not in favor. I did test drive and felt not my kind.

Kodiaq - Should I be optimistic about their pricing after having seen all the recent launches. I have looked at all the European reviews and it looks like an impressive package.

Kodiaq will be in X1 xline territory. It may make your decision easier to go for the X1. I would say just go for the X1. As you said you are not going to need an all wheel drive most of the time. Honestly you probably will use the AWD for a max of 500 KMs in a 100 k run. Unless you are off roaring regularly it's just not worth it.

Go with your heart but take your brains along. Lol. You only live once. The sunroof really won't matter when you have all the horses and the sweet ZF box working away. For all I know this is our last chance at these vehicles. When time comes to swap them, we will have all electric super silent motors. Blame Volvo for it.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 13th July 2017 at 20:55.
Old 13th July 2017, 21:00   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Kodiaq will be in X1 xline territory. It may make your decision easier to go for the X1. I would say just go for the X1. As you said you are not going to need an all wheel drive most of the time. Honestly you probably will use the AWD for a max of 500 KMs in a 100 k run. Unless you are off roaring regularly it's just not worth it.

Go with your heart but take your brains along. Lol. You only live once. The sunroof really won't matter when you have all the horses and the sweet ZF box working away. For all I know this is our last chance at these vehicles. When time comes to swap them, we will have all electric super silent motors. Blame Volvo for it.
OT: I doubt if the Kodiaq will be in the X1 xline range. And the X1doesn't have the ZF gearbox. A FWD X1 reminds me of the 2-series MPV I see here
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 21:33   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
OT: I doubt if the Kodiaq will be in the X1 xline range. And the X1doesn't have the ZF gearbox. A FWD X1 reminds me of the 2-series MPV I see here

Yes , you have reminded me that it's not a ZF box ,I recollect this from my test drive before I bought the C250. I stand corrected. Nevertheless it's a excellent gear box that they have. Both the Tiguan and the X1 are basically front wheel drives if the option of AWD is not used on the Tiguan. X1 will just blow it away on performance.

Superb costs 40 lakhs OTR Bangalore and given the mark up prices for the SUVs I really expect it to be around 45 lakhs OTR.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 13:17   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The sunroof really won't matter when you have all the horses and the sweet ZF box working away.
X1 does not come with a ZF gear box, as it is a FWD with the engine mounted transverse. 😊
Old 14th July 2017, 13:31   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it is an Aisin box also used by Volvo. The DQ 500 in the Tiguan is just as good, based on my research
Old 15th July 2017, 17:16   #448
BHPian

Quote:

Wow! RTO charges make a big difference in Chennai.
Bangalore on-road prices are 37.6 and 33.5.
These guys have made my decision very tough
Its crazy to see the price difference on road. I just got the update quotes from the dealer in Bhopal:
Comfortline: 30.14 Lakhs (On Road with 2 years unlimited warranty, and 0% dep. Insurance by United India Insurance)
Highline: 33.38 Lakhs (On Road with 2 years unlimited warranty, and 0% dep. Insurance by United India Insurance)

I got this quote today. So please re-check as I was told these are the NEW revised prices after GST.

I want to replace our 10 year old Grand Vitara for something more comfortable on for the highway, and I hardly do any off-roading, the roads in the country as much better than 10 years ago.. My budget was about 30L.

Nonetheless I did Test drive the Tuscon,BMW X1 20D sDrive and MercedesBenz GLA so far.

The Tuscon I will not even put in comparison to the other 3 Germans. Though it is powerful enough, really lacked in handling and I would have preferred better interiors. Me and my wife left the car with only a short TD. Did not think further.

The GLA just did not have the interior space; I felt there was just about an inch on top of my head when I was in my comfortable driving position. I am 5'11'', so you can have an idea. And I hate the fact that there is no place for a spare tire. Why are so many SUV manufactures doing this.

The X1 sDrive 20d, well what to say. I really liked it, though I would like to take a TD again as it was awhile back to compare the interior space. I somehow feel the VW Tiguan was more spacious inside. I loved the 20d's engine and how it felt to drive. Really the best of the lot to drive.
Just that the models with sunroof and AWD cost too much for me. Still around 37 Lakhs for the base.

The VW Tiguan, we tested was the Highline, I really like the simple yet elegant interiors. The car handles well, I did not notice too much body roll. The rear space was good and there was a spare tire in case one needed but it also had self sealing tires (Highline only). The suspension is on the stiffer side that I agree but it was never harsh. My wife loved the panoramic sunroof (Highline only).
And I get AWD for tricky situations.

My only grippe was the 2.0 TDI engine which they chose. It gives out about 141 BHP. Its adequate and will cruise all day but they should have atleast given the choice the 190 BHP version of the same Diesel unit. Maybe an R-line with 190 BHP would be nice.( I am sure one can remap it to those figures but thats a different story.)

Now I am waiting on the Jeep. Though I think our mind is set on the Tiguan after all the pros and cons maybe in Silver or White. Just hope we can afford that panoramic sunroof.

Last edited by nanu28 : 15th July 2017 at 17:20.
Old 15th July 2017, 21:26   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
Its crazy to see the price difference on road. I just got the update quotes from the dealer in Bhopal:
Comfortline: 30.14 Lakhs (On Road with 2 years unlimited warranty, and 0% dep. Insurance by United India Insurance)
Highline: 33.38 Lakhs (On Road with 2 years unlimited warranty, and 0% dep. Insurance by United India Insurance)

I got this quote today. So please re-check as I was told these are the NEW revised prices after GST.

The X1 sDrive 20d, well what to say. I really liked it, though I would like to take a TD again as it was awhile back to compare the interior space. I somehow feel the VW Tiguan was more spacious inside. I loved the 20d's engine and how it felt to drive. Really the best of the lot to drive.
Just that the models with sunroof and AWD cost too much for me. Still around 37 Lakhs for the base.
Would you mind sharing the price breakup. I know it is the road tax that is taking the on-road price to 37.5 for HighLine in Bangalore. VW guys are not ready for any negotiations yet.

I had a very detailed test drive of X1 xLine today. I can't really complain about anything except the lack of AWD and inferior Infotainment (compared to Tiguan).

Yes, you can really feel the 190 BHP in X1 and it is impressive; floor the pedal and you get the wow feeling which Tiguan can't do with the mediocre tuning of their engine.
But in a real world condition, I could barely find any trouble with the 141 BHP of Tiguan.

I used the paddle shift less often on x1 because there was enough power on tap always. Unless I am doing street racing, there is not so much X1 can offer for a real world practical scenario compared to Tiguan.

I did the test drive of Tiguan and X1 exactly the same route (mix of rough/muddy road and good tarmac where I could do 100+). Both handles equally well whereas X1 was more fun to drive.

Ergonomics and driver seat comfort of Tiguan felt better. If I am driving for 8 hour continuously, I would feel less fatigue in Tiguan. No lumbar support in X1 was shocker for me!

Exterior appearance - X1 wins hands down with better SUV stance and angel rings. Tiguan design seems to be done by people nearing their retirement age.

I have asked BMW guys to work the best offer they can make. They sounded like ready for negotiations.

With two cars at home, I have no reason to rush. If there is no compelling offer, I am going to wait for Kodiaq.
sj_koova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 22:04   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the price breakup. I know it is the road tax that is taking the on-road price to 37.5 for HighLine in Bangalore. VW guys are not ready for any negotiations yet.

I had a very detailed test drive of X1 xLine today. I can't really complain about anything except the lack of AWD and inferior Infotainment (compared to Tiguan).

Yes, you can really feel the 190 BHP in X1 and it is impressive; floor the pedal and you get the wow feeling which Tiguan can't do with the mediocre tuning of their engine.
But in a real world condition, I could barely find any trouble with the 141 BHP of Tiguan.

I used the paddle shift less often on x1 because there was enough power on tap always. Unless I am doing street racing, there is not so much X1 can offer for a real world practical scenario compared to Tiguan.

I did the test drive of Tiguan and X1 exactly the same route (mix of rough/muddy road and good tarmac where I could do 100+). Both handles equally well whereas X1 was more fun to drive.

Ergonomics and driver seat comfort of Tiguan felt better. If I am driving for 8 hour continuously, I would feel less fatigue in Tiguan. No lumbar support in X1 was shocker for me!

Exterior appearance - X1 wins hands down with better SUV stance and angel rings. Tiguan design seems to be done by people nearing their retirement age.

I have asked BMW guys to work the best offer they can make. They sounded like ready for negotiations.

With two cars at home, I have no reason to rush. If there is no compelling offer, I am going to wait for Kodiaq.
I too looked at the Kodiaq, seemed too big for me, and then even looked at the Koraq, But I preferred the Tiguan interiors; Somehow it all just seems to fit well together much better without a fuss. Seems very practical.

As for the pricing details on pricing:

TIGUAN COMFORTLINE
Ex Showroom: 26,56,200
Insurance 1st year: 79,402
Rto: 2,49,058
UT&PD: 3,000
TCS: 26,562
Total:: 30,14,222

TIGUAN HIGHLINE
Ex Showroom: 29,83,300
Insurance 1st year: 87,983
Rto: 2,78,497
UT&PD: 3,000
TCS: 29,833
Total:: 33,82,613

I have been talking to the BMW sales guy; For me he cant seem to come down below 36. something for the base.

Last edited by nanu28 : 15th July 2017 at 22:07.
nanu28 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed