Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2017, 15:04   #61
BHPian

re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If the Yeti is priced at 29-30 on road as of now, the Tiguan will most certainly come in at 32-35 on road. No way they will price it on par with the Yeti.
The Tiguan may play in the same space but it is a half size bigger than the Yeti.
And VW is positioned at a premium over Skoda in any case in terms of brand value, so the above speculation seems to me to be about right.

Would I buy one?
Nope!

I'd rather consider the top spec 4x4 Jeep Compass at a roughly similar price point if at all I upgrade. Or perhaps the Merc GLA even...

The most sensible thing I can do right now is sit tight and enjoy my Yeti for a while longer. At least for a year or two more.
The Jeep maybe the size of the Yeti. I dont think the two can be compared.(Tiguan and Compass)
Old 9th April 2017, 15:04   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If the Yeti is priced at 29-30 on road as of now, the Tiguan will most certainly come in at 32-35 on road. No way they will price it on par with the Yeti.
The Tiguan may play in the same space but it is a half size bigger than the Yeti.

I'd rather consider the top spec 4x4 Jeep Compass at a roughly similar price point if at all I upgrade. Or perhaps the Merc GLA even...
Completely agree, with this kind of pricing it will easily land into the Luxury segment where the BMW X1 with the 3-4 lakh discounts available would be a no brainer over the VW. Not to mention the other cars.

This is based exactly on the VW jetta/golf/Octavia platform and I don't see why it demands such a premium over the Yeti. But I expect VW to totally price it away from that.

And for those not concerned with the premium badge, the compass seems like a great option, now holding out for the Indian spec and price.
Old 10th April 2017, 06:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi,

Expect Tiguan to be priced very competitively in India as per the global trend.

Saw the below Advertisement in Malaysia

The starting price in Malaysia is approx 21.75 lakhs. There is an early bird discount as well. Something to look forward to in India as well.
Saw the exact same thing on the Volkswagen Malaysia website and was encouraged by the pricing but then I called one of the dealer's here on Saturday to check when bookings were expected to start and he game me two surprises. First, bookings have already begun, with 50,000 as the initial booking amount. Secondly, they expect the prices to be in the 35 L region . Now this is probably them quoting the highest price they expect it to be. I spoke to the sales head and he mentioned they haven't even sent their people for training on the new vehicle yet so there is very little chance they know what the actual price might be.

If it's going to be in the 30 L + bracket, it better have all the bells and whistles that the top spec European models get. Then and only then will it be justified. They could have one model in the 23 - 27 L range that matches the Tucson, entry level Fortuner and Endeavour and one in the 30 + lac range, that has more of the features with AWD.
Old 10th April 2017, 07:51   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Volkswagen imports 2016 Tiguan into India for testing purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
The Jeep maybe the size of the Yeti. I dont think the two can be compared.(Tiguan and Compass)

The Compass will be slightly bigger than the Yeti at 4400mm long vs the Yeti's 4223mm. It is likely to be a little taller and a little wider too Im thinking.
And the ground clearance at 200mm+ is more than the Yeti's 180-190mm(with bigger tyres).
The boot space at 410mm is marginally less than the Yeti's 415mm and the 1153mm boot space with the seats folded is a bit less than the Yeti's at 1170mm.
Where the Yeti scores is the removable rear seats which liberates 1665mm odd of space in the boot. And of course the vehicle's short overhangs and compact dimensions and sheer driveability.
Im seeing overall that its 4WD ( from all these posts) will be formidable.
And the colour choices appear attractive too.
At a price of even 34L on road for the top spec trailhawk, to me this capable vehicle represents better value than a bunch of others which are similarly priced, including the GLA and Q3 and X1 etc.
But I would consider it an absolute steal if it were priced the same in India as it will be, in the UK and Australia.
Then the package will become unbeatable. Like the Yeti was, in 2010-2012 as a combination of features, capability and pricing!

In comparison to the above and as per the above reasoning, the VW Tiguan top spec, if priced at a similar 34-36L on road Bangalore, will not be an attractive proposition, atleast for my needs and wants and budget!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th April 2017 at 07:53.
Old 10th April 2017, 18:21   #65
BHPian

Volkswagen India to launch Tiguan in first week of May

"Volkswagen is finally set to launch its first compact SUV Tiguan in India in the first week of May, sources close to the development told ETAuto. The SUV, which will fight against the likes of Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour and Chevrolet Trailblazer, is expected to be priced between Rs 25 Lakh - Rs 30 lakh.

Source also confirmed that the booking will start from mid of April and, at present, the company is under process to give product training to all the sales consultant at dealership levels"

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...f-may/57959236
Old 10th April 2017, 19:54   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

After having observed plenty of Tiguans up close, I'm not sure if the price versus size ratio will allow it to succeed in India.

People will immediately compare it with the humongous Endeavour or Fortuner and ask why something the size of a slightly inflated Creta should command a 2x premium.

In fact, I found even the looks too Teutonic and simplistic even with the new DRL headlights.

I REALLY hope it succeeds but VW will need to price it correctly without getting too carried away by their own pretentious side!

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th April 2017 at 19:57. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 06:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Secondly, they expect the prices to be in the 35 L region .
Update. I booked the Tiguan yesterday but unfortunately, due to a foot injury, I couldn't go to the showroom and so had them send someone over to collect the documents and the cheque. This guy said they are expecting the price to be 22 lacs ex-showroom Delhi (from 35 to 22 now). He also said they are expecting it to be pretty much the Malaysian spec. Also, they are only sending people for training in the last week of the month and only then will they have all the details on the specs and trims.

Anyway, the only thing he said that made sense was that the vehicle will be in showrooms within the first week of May, as was in the news yesterday.
Old 11th April 2017, 07:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen imports 2016 Tiguan into India for testing purposes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Update. I booked the Tiguan yesterday but unfortunately, due to a foot injury, I couldn't go to the showroom and so had them send someone over to collect the documents and the cheque. This guy said they are expecting the price to be 22 lacs ex-showroom Delhi (from 35 to 22 now). He also said they are expecting it to be pretty much the Malaysian spec. Also, they are only sending people for training in the last week of the month and only then will they have all the details on the specs and trims.

Anyway, the only thing he said that made sense was that the vehicle will be in showrooms within the first week of May, as was in the news yesterday.

Happy days for SUV hunters. 22 lakhs is a good price to launch. Is it the entry level price or the top spec ? Over to Jeep now for the Compass pricing. Compass is considered a smallish medium SUV overseas. If I am not mistaken the Tiguan will be of the same size albeit 50-100 mm shorter in length, but slightly wider.

If VW pull of this pricing it will be game on with Hyundai Tucson.

I expect a lot of Creta customers to cross shop between the Tiguan and Jeep. Expecting Jeep to be priced just like Hyundai did with the Creta, A lot of variants at various entry points.

Take care of your foot.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 11th April 2017 at 07:58.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 07:57   #69
BHPian

Is Tiguan going to be a 5 seater or 7 seater? I read somewhere that newer model, which is launched worldwide is actually a 7 seater. Wonder if that is the one reaching here

Any confirmation?

Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 08:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Is Tiguan going to be a 5 seater or 7 seater? I read somewhere that newer model, which is launched worldwide is actually a 7 seater. Wonder if that is the one reaching here

Any confirmation?

Thanks
The one to be launched in India is the 5 seater. This is pretty much confirmed. The 7 seater version called the Allspace was recently launched globally is not coming to India, not for now at least.
Old 11th April 2017, 09:22   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Is Tiguan going to be a 5 seater or 7 seater?
Most likely the Tiguan Allspace will not come to India. For a seven seat configuration they have the SKODA Kodiaq coming later this year.

And for a baby Tiguan, the T ROc will be interesting

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th April 2017 at 09:25.
Old 12th April 2017, 15:52   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big shoutout to Ninad for sharing pics of the Tiguan being tested in Mumbai:
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-image1.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-image2.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-image3.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 16:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Happy days for SUV hunters. 22 lakhs is a good price to launch. Is it the entry level price or the top spec ? Over to Jeep now for the Compass pricing. Compass is considered a smallish medium SUV overseas. If I am not mistaken the Tiguan will be of the same size albeit 50-100 mm shorter in length, but slightly wider.

If VW pull of this pricing it will be game on with Hyundai Tucson.
It is very difficult to believe the pricing of 22 lakh for Tiguan.
Almost all of the new report have mentioned that it will take on the Endy, Fortuner, Santa Fe etc.

Secondly, this particular spec of the Tiguan (2.0 TDI 190ps) costs a rather uphill 43000 Euros (30Lakh) in the EU markets itself.

Current localization levels for Tiguan will be very low, so it is hard to believe the 22Lakh pricing.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 17:15   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Current localization levels for Tiguan will be very low, so it is hard to believe the 22Lakh pricing.
One needs to take this pricing with Sacks of Salt
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:12   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
It is very difficult to believe the pricing of 22 lakh for Tiguan.
Almost all of the new report have mentioned that it will take on the Endy, Fortuner, Santa Fe etc.

Secondly, this particular spec of the Tiguan (2.0 TDI 190ps) costs a rather uphill 43000 Euros (30Lakh) in the EU markets itself.

Don't believe the 22 lakh pricing for 1 minute. Like I said in my earlier post, the dealer I have booked the car with is sending his people over for training in the last week of the month. The sales guy has promised to share more details on the trims and features available once they are back from training. I think only then will we be able to even guess what the price would be like. Until then, just know that it is between 22 and 35 lakhs (both quoted by two different sales guys from the same dealership).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed