Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2017, 07:50   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Tiguan's spied again just before its launch in India. Units spotted were the 2.0 litre TDI versions, powered by a 1968cc turbocharged motor.

Quote:
The engine makes about 147 bhp and comes mated to the company's tried and tested 7-speed DSG automatic unit. Globally the 2.0 TDI Volkswagen Tiguan also gets a 6-speed manual gearbox as an option, but whether the company will offer that with the India-spec model or not is yet to be known.
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanfront_827x510_71492084004.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanhasbeenspotted_827x510_81492083935.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanrear_827x510_81492084047.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 12:31   #77
BHPian

Volkswagen imports 2016 Tiguan into India for testing purposes

Looks like the AWD version. Would be interesting to know the power outputs of the 2.0 Tdi.

Would be really nice if they have the AWD with 150 hp output diesel in the comfort line. This would help the AWD be more affordable, as opposed to a high line AWD with 190 hp.

Fingers crossed.
Am seriously evaluating the x1 expedition in exchange for my 2012 320d. If the Tiguan comes with an on road price of around 30 - 32; with better specs then this would be a serious contender.

Last edited by differential : 14th April 2017 at 12:33.
Old 15th April 2017, 09:38   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to Tirth Pandya for sharing this info!

VW India's website has been updated with the Tiguan.

Here's the link- http://www.volkswagenlabs.co.in/volk...ile/index.aspx

The production has started.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 11:19   #79
BHPian

The Tiguan was one of the 3 finalists in the WCOTY awards.

http://www.wcoty.com/web/eligible_vehicles.asp?cat=1

The Jaguar F-Pace won the award but making it to the top 3 is a big deal. Am even more excited about the car now.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-tiguan_wcoty.jpg  

Old 25th April 2017, 07:24   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiguan to be launched in 2 variants - Comfortline and Highline; to be powered by a 2.0-litre diesel engine and will come with all-wheel-drive system.
Quote:
At the time of launch, the new VW Tiguan is likely to sport only one engine option – a 2.0-litre diesel making 143hp. The engine will be paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch auto gearbox and will also be offered with an all-wheel-drive system with a separate off-road mode selector dial.
Quote:
VW will offer LED headlights and a host of driver assistance, infotainment and safety features on the Tiguan. Also, based on the trim levels, features such as a panoramic sunroof, virtual release pedal and faux leather upholstery will be offered
Quote:
The Comfortline trim is likely to get 17-inch wheels, while the Highline variant will be equipped with 18-inch wheels.
Notably making way for the Kodiaq, the Tiguan will be launched as a five-seater with a standard wheelbase, as was showcased at the Expo.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th April 2017 at 07:26.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tiguan to be launched in 2 variants - Comfortline and Highline; to be powered by a 2.0-litre diesel engine and will come with all-wheel-drive system.
The 2 variants have been spotted before & I guess they are the 2 likely variants.

Those variants can be clearly seen from the images below. One has Chrome Strip on Bumper below Tailgate while other one misses it. Same for Front Part, while Alloys are different on both the cars.

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanfront_827x510_71492084004.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanrear_827x510_81492084047.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-volkswagentiguanhasbeenspotted_827x510_81492083935.jpg
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:

Notably making way for the Kodiaq, the Tiguan will be launched as a five-seater with a standard wheelbase, as was showcased at the Expo.

Link
Thanks for sharing but that article sounds like the same old information being rehashed, as the launch date gets closer. We know about the 2.0 diesel with 7 speed DSG as VW have already confirmed that. All test mules have had the 4Motion badge so it's quite likely that will be offered in India. As for highline and comfortline, it's not too hard to guess that. Everything else is pure speculation I feel.

The sales guy from the dealership who I have booked the car with is currently undergoing a two day training on the Tiguan in Pune. He will be back tomorrow and I should have more information then.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
After having observed plenty of Tiguans up close, I'm not sure if the price versus size ratio will allow it to succeed in India.

People will immediately compare it with the humongous Endeavour or Fortuner and ask why something the size of a slightly inflated Creta should command a 2x premium.

In fact, I found even the looks too Teutonic and simplistic even with the new DRL headlights.

I REALLY hope it succeeds but VW will need to price it correctly without getting too carried away by their own pretentious side!
Couldn't agree with you more on every point!

VW has a habit of overpricing, probably because people are willing to spend more for a German marquee.

Furthermore, I feel the cost of servicing will be simple eye-popping! A friend of mine pays 15,000 a year on servicing his Polo. I won't be surprised if this comes to 25,000.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:54   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't speculations suggest that the LWB 7 seater version would make it to india? It's a pity we aren't getting that model as it would be perfect to take on the Fortuner and Endeavour. Now it will be pitted against the CRV and Compass.
I was hoping to replace my 7 year old fortuner with the Tiguan but now considering it's the smaller wheel base version and has the dreaded 7 speed DSG, I am not as keen anymore. Is the gearbox the same 7 speed as the last gen Superb?
Old 26th April 2017, 10:09   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Furthermore, I feel the cost of servicing will be simple eye-popping! A friend of mine pays 15,000 a year on servicing his Polo. I won't be surprised if this comes to 25,000.
I had the Polo GT TDI for more than 3 years and now I own a Jetta. Cost of servicing for both the cars is less than 10,000 per service, which is at least once a year. My Mom's Brio needs service at least twice a year and the cost comes to around 4000 per service or 8000 every year. VW cars need synthetic oil and hence the increased cost.

IMO, Tiguan service cost should be similar to Jetta i.e. less than 10,000 per service

Last edited by Immix : 26th April 2017 at 10:13.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 10:16   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the Tiguan I had seen in Germany. For the price point discussed here,( 25L+) it has no road presence compared to the competition.

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-11.jpg
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-22.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th April 2017 at 10:19.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 13:23   #87
BHPian

I think if the price is going to be around the 25 L mark or more, that will mean the car will come loaded with tech. Only then can they justify that sort of premium pricing. Of course, that doesn't mean the car will sell.

Have been trying to get in touch with the sales guy but haven't been successful so far. Might have some updates by the end of the day.
Old 26th April 2017, 13:45   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the Tiguan I had seen in Germany. For the price point discussed here,( 25L+) it has no road presence compared to the competition.
Spot on. This is the same latest version that attracts no attention in Europe right now especially in the light metallic colours. I hope the India pricing is correct (given the size), and not uber-premium!

At least the red colour ensures some heads turn :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th April 2017 at 13:46. Reason: Typo
Old 26th April 2017, 23:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Your friend is getting scammed. I get my Vento 1.6 TDI annually serviced for less than Rs. 9,000. Skoda Octavia care page for Rs. 40,000 for 4 years results in Rs. 10,000 annual cost.

Ask your friend to visit below link and get only what is required.

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I was hoping to replace my 7 year old fortuner with the Tiguan but now considering it's the smaller wheel base version and has the dreaded 7 speed DSG, I am not as keen anymore. Is the gearbox the same 7 speed as the last gen Superb?
Its not the same 7 Speed DSG doing duty in 1.2, 1.8 TSi and 1.5 TDi. That one is rated max at 250 NM.

This is all new wet clutch 7 Speed DSG. Tiguan 2.0 TDi produces 350+ NM torque, so older 7 Speed DSG cannot be used.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 12:13   #90
BHPian

So I heard back from the sales guy who went for the training. He shared a bunch of pictures which I don't think I should share here given that those were taken from an internal VW training session.

Summary of the information he provided (including things we already knew):
  • 2 variants, Comfortline & Highline
  • 2.0 TDI, 143 BHP engine
  • DQ-500 Wet clutch 7 speed DSG
  • 4Motion
  • Both variants get 18" alloys, Comfortline gets 5 spoke alloys while Highline gets 10 spoke diamond cut alloys (not sure if he meant diamond cut but he said so)
  • Panoramic Sunroof on the Highline, that opens half way
  • Ambient lighting (not sure if this is only on the Highline)
  • 8" Touch screen infotainment system with Navigation (he mentioned this works well with Android but they had problems with Apple phones, also mentioned something about needing to download some software for navigation to work)
  • Has the Active Information Display or Virtual Cockpit (am not 100% sure about this, have asked for pics of the interior to confirm)
  • Doesn't have the Area View feature
  • Gets Grey/Black interiors (not sure if its leather of faux leather)
  • Gets the Virtual Pedal feature for automatic boot release
  • Offered in 5 colours, Blue, Black, Pearl White, Grey and Silver
  • 12 way adjustable seat for driver with memory, 8 way adjustable seat for passenger with memory
  • Rear seat recline and slide available
  • Lane assist available
  • Puddle lamp with Tiguan logo
  • 3 zone AC
  • No HUD
  • Mentioned something about some special Parking assist involving camera view from the side of the car, but confirmed the car only has 1 camera

Can't think of anything else worth mentioning. Will update as I come to know more.
sunny310c is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed