Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 03:04   #331
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Autocar India is fast out with its first drive. Good impressions and love the conclusion, just what we're all thinking.

Check it out

http://m.autocarindia.com/Reviews/Re...px?CIID=405070
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 07:17   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Nice to see the Yeti holding up great but I believe the Tiguan wouldn't be much of an upgrade in terms of the the power, dynamics or capability. The only upgrade would be the automatic and few niceties like sunroof, button start etc.
The comparison with Yeti is understandable, but if you consider this as a new generation car and how the prices in India have sky-rocketed for new models, this gap will make more sense. For e.g.; the previous generation Superb and Fortuner used to be game-changers in 20 lakhs price-range, and now the new generation sits in the 30 lakhs range.

Even the just discontinued face-lifted Yeti had an ex-showroom price close to 23-24 lakhs (for the 4x4 MT variant), which makes the 28 lakhs Comfortline DSG Tiguan looks pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari
Maybe an upcoming Audi product with stellar build could be enough. And looking forward to your thoughts on how good of an improvement it is over the Yeti.
Think of this – the ageing Q3 is already a cool 10 lakhs more than the Tiguan; even if they launch a smaller Q2 now, it could costlier than the Tiguan
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 09:16   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I didn't get how does this work-
a bonnet that rises up in a frontal crash to reduce the impact on a pedestrian, should you accidentally hit one.

How will it save the pedestrian?
Old 6th June 2017, 10:53   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I didn't get how does this work-
a bonnet that rises up in a frontal crash to reduce the impact on a pedestrian, should you accidentally hit one.

How will it save the pedestrian?
Pop-up bonnet is one of the many pedestrian safety designs in cars. It falls in between the basic 'soft' bumpers and the very high-end 'bonnet airbag' features. Basically on detecting a collision with a pedestrian, sensors and the computer will raise the bonnet (happens really fast). This makes sure that the impact of the pedestrian's head is softened and in some cases avoided totally. it basically creates an energy absorbing space at the front end of the bonnet and prevents a hard impact for the pedestrian's head.

Edit:
Talking about the car, I liked almost everything. However, I would've preferred a different steering wheel. It is same as my GT TSI steering wheel which is 1/3rd the price of a Tiguan!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th June 2017 at 10:55.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:35   #335
Senior - BHPian

Yeti and Jetta owners will find it hard to accept Tiguan as an upgrade, unless they are already in the market for an SUV.

Jeep Compass launch will be very interesting.. ��

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2017 at 19:28. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:40   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if it would make sense to wait and see how Kodiaq turns out on features and pricing. IMO, the Kodiaq's external design looks more attractive than that of the Tiguan. Better proportioned, cleaner lines, slightly taller and more butch from the front. Also you get the advantage of 7 seats when you need it or more cargo space. There is also the possibility of getting the 2.0 TDI in the higher tune with 190hp or at least the 2.0 TSI with similar hp numbers.

The key will be pricing. I would be willing to pay 2-3 Lacs more for the extra space and versatility and also considering the interiors may be less premium than the Tiguan. But if skoda prices it outrageously (say 7-8 lakes more than Tiguan) then it would not make sense.
Old 6th June 2017, 14:31   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wonder if it would make sense to wait and see how Kodiaq turns out on features and pricing. IMO, the Kodiaq's external design looks more attractive than that of the Tiguan. Better proportioned, cleaner lines, slightly taller and more butch from the front. Also you get the advantage of 7 seats when you need it or more cargo space. There is also the possibility of getting the 2.0 TDI in the higher tune with 190hp or at least the 2.0 TSI with similar hp numbers.

The key will be pricing. I would be willing to pay 2-3 Lacs more for the extra space and versatility and also considering the interiors may be less premium than the Tiguan. But if skoda prices it outrageously (say 7-8 lakes more than Tiguan) then it would not make sense.
Yup I feel the Kodiaq may be a better proposition than the Tiguan if it is just 2-3 lacs higher. I saw both the Tiguan and the Kodiaq onroad in Shanghai during my visit there recently and the Kodiaq has far better road presence and character than the Tiguan. The interiors too of the Kodiaq shown in the Autocar videos are much more plush and advanced than the Tiguan's all black interiors. Skoda generally offers better product at the same or lower price than VW - the Laura vs Jetta and Rapid vs Vento are examples of its India strategy. But the Tiguan and the Kodiaq are slightly different being 5 and 7 seaters respectively. In my logic, having already owned a Yeti, the Tiguan makes no sense for me, but the Kodiaq may make sense if launched at the right price.
Old 6th June 2017, 18:42   #338
BHPian

How does the Tiguan slot in, versus the Q3? I ask because a friend just bought a Q3 diesel for 38 lakhs OTR, after haggling for months with the Audi dealer. The Tiguan is more expensive, at least in Mumbai
Old 6th June 2017, 19:13   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Jeep Compass launch will be very interesting..
It beats the Tiguan in terms of looks (subjective), engines and off roadability. Whereas the Tiguan has more features and probably better quality.

If Jeep can keep the quality and build close to the German standards, and yet keep the prices much lesser below the Tucson - this should be interesting indeed!

The two are priced almost similarly in the US, but then that's the earlier generation as the new Tiguan is not yet launched there.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th June 2017 at 19:29. Reason: Typo in quoted post corrected.
Old 6th June 2017, 19:59   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
How does the Tiguan slot in, versus the Q3? I ask because a friend just bought a Q3 diesel for 38 lakhs OTR, after haggling for months with the Audi dealer. The Tiguan is more expensive, at least in Mumbai
Are you sure about that?

From what I understand, the most expensive variant of the Tiguan - Highline TDI, is cheaper than the cheapest variant of the Q3 - 30 TFSI Premium. Both ex-showroom. I think even with the kind of discount your friend seems to have managed to get, the Tiguan would still come in quite close to that price point.
Old 7th June 2017, 06:44   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
With sincere apologies in advance, I'd say this is a no-brainer! The Haldex clutch, while undoubtedly a clever device, needs external inputs (electro-hydraulic) with its attendant gremlins. Whereas the Torsen (and its various derivatives) is the only device that does not need any external input whatsoever and is the only device that works in real time.
Yes, but the Quattro in Q3 is Haldex and not Torsen. It's a smart ploy by Audi. Makes a compelling case for Tiguan over Q3.

Torsen needs a longitudinally mounted engine, the 2L in Q3 is transversely mounted and use a Haldex System.

Take a look at this brilliant post by avinash_clt - Q3 quattro vs Tiguan 4motion vs Yeti 4x4 -- The same Haldex system and the quote by Akshay1234 below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The Q3 will feel similar. As far as I know the Q3 too has a haldex all wheel drive system. I don't think Audi uses the torsen system in any vehicle with a transverse mounted engine.
This link also helps to know these systems better: Haldex VS Torsen: Which do I Have, and Does it Really Matter?

Last edited by deetjohn : 7th June 2017 at 06:47. Reason: adding link.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 09:10   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Recently one of my colleague bought a Q3 (Quattro) mid-variant, which cost him around INR 42L.

Also, when I visited VW showroom recently, the Tiguan Highline I was told is INR 38L on road price. With GST coming into effect, the Tiguan will cost less, by how much the dealer did not know. So the Tiguan for sure is lesser priced than the Q3. The servicing, maintenance, spares & insurance on the Q3 will be higher than the Tiguan. I specifically asked about regular service cost on the Tiguan and was told it will be similar to VW Vento / VW Jetta, which is around INR 15K to 20K per service, once a year. The Q3 annual servicing can run between INR 25 to 30K.

Maybe just my perception, but while the interiors of the Tiguan are really good and feature rich and is a solid build overall, I thought the interior quality of the plastics etc. of the Q3 were slightly of a better grade / plushier. But for this difference, owning a Q3 one would need to spend slightly more - after all it is in the category of the 3 big German luxury cars.
Old 7th June 2017, 09:40   #343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yes, but the Quattro in Q3 is Haldex and not Torsen. It's a smart ploy by Audi. Makes a compelling case for Tiguan over Q3.
Torsen needs a longitudinally mounted engine, the 2L in Q3 is transversely mounted and use a Haldex System.
Take a look at this brilliant post by avinash_clt - Q3 quattro vs Tiguan 4motion vs Yeti 4x4 -- The same Haldex system and the quote by Akshay1234 below.
This link also helps to know these systems better: Haldex VS Torsen: Which do I Have, and Does it Really Matter?
Hi deetjohn,

I enjoyed going through the links you have mentioned above & it confirms the general consensus that - over all - the torsen diff is more competent. The major drawback of the Haldex being its dependence on external eloctro-hydraulics & the attendant gremlins!

For a clearer picture of the internal workings of the torsen (and its various derivatives), you can, if you like, go through the T-BHP thread "Driving all wheels : how is it done?" by SS- Traveller & its posts 356....... to 371. I found it fun & enlightening!

For pictorial depictions (& accompanying text) of the torsen, Alan Wenbourne's article (A clutch of differentials) is fascinating -

file:///C:/Users/admin/Desktop/A%20Clutch%20of%20Differentials%20-%20South%20East%20London%20Meccano%20Club.html
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:10   #344
BHPian

I don't know if this has been asked/answered already, but could someone tell me when will the official T-BHP test report of the Tiguan be up? Thanks in advance!
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 02:15   #345
BHPian

Autocar India review summarizes the Tiguan as below and it is quite inline with what GTO had said about it.

Quote:
On paper, the VW Tiguan is a bit of a hard sell. It seems like it’s neither here nor there - priced against more premium SUVs but with a size that’s a segment lower. What works most against it is that it doesn’t have that imposing stance, and without a posh luxury badge, like BMW, Audi or Mercedes, that just won't cut it with Indian buyers. Plus, you can have a crossover of a similar size for less money. However, spend some time and you’ll discover it’s really a niche within a niche - those inherently Volkswagen traits will allow it to appeal to a very specific customer. The interior quality and the equipment on offer are good enough to belong in a proper luxury SUV, there’s loads of space for five and their luggage, and the ride quality is just superb. It really does tick almost all the boxes for a premium crossover. In fact, I’m reminded of its now-discontinued half-cousin, the Skoda Yeti. It too was a niche within a niche - priced too high for its size and seat count by Indian standards, but offering such an impressive package and quality experience, that the few that appreciate its solid engineering still swear by it. The Tiguan is unlikely to become a sales sensation, but there's no doubt that there is a small pocket of people that will appreciate properly premium German engineering at a slightly lower price than what luxury brands offer.
Some pics from review:

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105217_tig_main.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105515_tig12.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105241_tig1.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105304_tig2.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105413_tig4.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105502_tig9.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105520_tig14.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105534_engine.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105425_tig13.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105434_tig15.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105443_tig16.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105506_tig10.jpg

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20170605105510_tig11.jpg

Last edited by PraNeel : 9th June 2017 at 02:39.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed