Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 14:25   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

I find the gearing suited for the city, but with a bit of annoying lag for quick bursts.

I think it'll be a great car for hill driving, considering that she corners superbly for a tall vehicle. We were doing drifts without any tension.
Old 12th June 2017, 15:17   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not really. Remember GC is now calculated differently by ARAI and VW is the first to follow this. International models get 200mm. In India it's now calculated with laden weight.
This is calculated with 4 people onboard and 90% of fuel, and mind you these cars have 60 plus liter tanks? And even manufacturers are still not clear which point they have used to measure the GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I have done a detailed test drive and I didn't feel the power in inadequate at all. For it's weight, the torque number is pretty good and they have a good transmission backing it as well.
=====
I wonder if Tiguan can be an upgrade for you from Passat. It is a practical car, but not premium enough for the price they ask.
Just about adequate; ok for a normal driver or drives. But if you are a spirited driver will make you want for more! Atleast 30-40 bhp more please. Would be a good candidate for aftermarket tune ups

Passat to Tiguan, hmm not sure if its worth the big 40 Lakh price tag on road!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:41   #378
BHPian

I did a sharp turn at 90 kmph as suggested by sales guy and felt very confident doing it.
No doubt about handling and precision of steering. However the difference between my CEDIA and Tiguan on the same turn was evident. Both are accurate and gives you enough confidence, but the excitement I get in CEDIA was missing in Tiugan because the feedback from steering is missing in Tiguan

I did all my test drives (XUV500, HEXA, Crysta, Fortuner, Endeavor and X1) in the same route (~30km with mix of various surfaces - dirt, 2 lane, 4 lane, twists etc..).

Tiguan fared really well and was impressive in all scenarios. My decision is waiting for post GST.

What my wife and I hated most is in the rear seat. Though the car is wide enough in the rear, they did a very poor job with the seat width. Leaving 10cm gap on both sides between seat and door panel and claiming it for storage was foolishness.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:45   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Passat to Tiguan, hmm not sure if its worth the big 40 Lakh price tag on road!
Individual likes and dislikes and perceptions of value are subjective.

I'm not looking for an upgrade to my Passat per se - I'm looking to replace it as its soon going to be 6 yrs old having clocked nearly 65K in mileage.

A lot of the highways in HP are undergoing massive upgrades to 4 Lane or 2 Lane broad shoulder ones - thus, the conditions at the moment and for a while in the foreseeable future are far more suited to higher vehicles than low saloons such as the Passat.

I have also checked out the BMW X1, the Audi Q3 and the Mercedes GLA...

I found the entry level X1 to be lacking in features, didn't like the Q3's interiors and the Mercedes GLA was just too small.

I also prefer the understated and less attention attracting designs of Volkswagen.

Thanks for your inputs on the Tiguan's performance....I eagerly await the comprehensive Team BHP review.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th June 2017 at 16:19. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 12th June 2017, 16:04   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Space wise, the Tiguan hands down beats the Q3, X1 and the GLA.

Even feature wise it's quite loaded.

What i like best was how even though you are in D and your car rolls back slightly, the reverse camera gets activated. Haven't seen that on the mercs.

Annoying feature or rather lack of is that the driver seats gets electronic adjustment with 3 memory settings and the co passenger gets manual!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 18:14   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Sorry I didn't understand. You are getting an X1 Xline demo car, or something from the next segment? I would generally advise to stay away from a demo car, but 3k kms is fine provided you have seen and driven the car yourself and all seems fine.

Not possible to simply disconnect the speedometer or odometer in all these cars.
Xline new vs higher segment demo. I may not have the bandwidth to do the due diligence required for this, so might end up giving this a pass.
Old 12th June 2017, 18:16   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What i like best was how even though you are in D and your car rolls back slightly, the reverse camera gets activated. Haven't seen that on the mercs.
When you are crawling under 20 kmph, the front and rear proximity sensors come alive. There is audible beep to give proximity warning. Useful when you are squeezing in little spaces. I believe it can be disabled from the MID.
Old 12th June 2017, 23:16   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Xline new vs higher segment demo. I may not have the bandwidth to do the due diligence required for this, so might end up giving this a pass.
But what is higher segment? X3? X1 M sport? Honestly 3000kms is nothing, if you like the demo car you can go for it. If there is anything really wrong with it, you will notice while inspecting or driving.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 09:02   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I'm happy to answer any queries regarding performance. Real time performance, don't ask me numbers.
Can this be a replacement for a BOF SUV with low-range? I mean, how much can it do in your books? Is the floor flat [like BOF SUV's] or curved from door edges?
Old 13th June 2017, 09:07   #385
BHPian

Quote:
But what is higher segment? X3? X1 M sport? Honestly 3000kms is nothing, if you like the demo car you can go for it. If there is anything really wrong with it, you will notice while inspecting or driving.
The deal is on the volvo xc60 momentum. It's getting phased out in a few months. Felt pretty good to drive, except for a little lag. Except that it was a little dirty, nothing much wrong that I could see. Very little NVH, a little more body roll than I expected, but still not much. The seats, materials and comfort are outstanding. The dash and interiors are cool, but feel a little outdated. As typical with these cars, I was encouraged by the sales executive to push the car while driving, which is why I am a bit hesitant on a demo car. Since I am traveling for the last two weeks of this month, I have to close this week. This is the kind of deal and car that I would like to carefully examine, and I don't think I have the expertise to do justice to it in such a short time.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:09   #386
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. 3000 Kms is a fairly new car and if it is indeed an X3 we are talking about here, then one should give it a serious thought. Also, like someone pointed out earlier, the X3 is in it's last year of the current generation and the new generation is due later this year I think, although it will only come to India next year. So perhaps one can use that as a bargaining chip and get an even better deal.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:33   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can this be a replacement for a BOF SUV with low-range? I mean, how much can it do in your books? Is the floor flat [like BOF SUV's] or curved from door edges?
What is BOF? Sorry i'm not abreast with new abbreviations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
When you are crawling under 20 kmph, the front and rear proximity sensors come alive. There is audible beep to give proximity warning. Useful when you are squeezing in little spaces. I believe it can be disabled from the MID.
I'm not talking about sensors. I'm saying the reverse camera activates even in Drive which is a good thing when the vehicle rolls back on an incline.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:40   #388
BHPian

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
What is BOF? Sorry i'm not abreast with new abbreviations.
I think he means Body on frame SUVs and wants to compare the Tiguan being a monocoque off road to the likes of the fortuner and endeavour.
Old 13th June 2017, 16:06   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah Accha! These grey cells are getting bleached after working in the Delhi heat!

You can not compare a body on frame SUV with a Tiguan. The GC and approach angles are way too less.

But, it will do most of the things thrown at it and probably more but then you might break the plastic bumpers.

It will do the entire himalayan tourist circuit, but then again even Altos do it nowadays when driven by locals where true blue SUVs struggle. All comes down to driver skills.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 01:54   #390
BHPian

The Tiguan is a very tasteful recipe indeed. However, I was wondering if it is worth considering a used Q5 with a low mileage say under 20k Kms, for the same price of the Highline Tiguan on road which is roughy around the 40L mark. I am aware that the new Q5 is round the corner and is more tech feature packed, but the old one was a handsome car as well. I in fact even managed to find a few good used Q5's. Powered by the same 2.0 TDi with 174 horses. The Audi of course is a lot heavier and uses a different AWD system. Also, maintenance costs would be higher. But still. The old Q5 is a great product. The Design still manages to look fresh both interior/exterior. Just for the record, I am an Audi Aficionado, so I really swear by VW Group products. Currently have the Yeti Elegance. Very unlikely to consider a BMW or a Merc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks