Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2016, 17:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Ameo sales are disappointing; especially since the car has just been launched. It's doing decently compared to VW standards but isn't the hit that VW would have ideally wanted given their speculated investment in developing it.

Ford sold 7 additional Mustangs? Didn't they import only 55 with no further plan in place at that time? Are they on a confirmed bookings => import model now? I'm sure they can have many more than 62 bookings.

Clearly, the price cut has worked wonders for Aspire, and a little for the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I fail to understand why Tiago production has not been enhanced, its 6 month now since Tata got to know high demand for petrol variants.
I believe the bottleneck is the alloy supplies; isn't that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Surprised to see the drop in sale of Ford Endeavour. The drop in sale might be result of sharads(inauspicious days)? Or the wait for new Toyota Fortuner ?
Or the price hike likely.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th October 2016 at 17:53.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 18:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Surprised to see the drop in sale of Ford Endeavour. The drop in sale might be result of sharads(inauspicious days)? Or the wait for new Toyota Fortuner ?
May be New Fortuner effect. But not sure why Fortuner is not in the Top Losers list. Could be because of 'known reason ' ?

Aug 16 : 457 & Sep 16 : 8 MoM % - 98.2
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 18:24   #18
BANNED

i. Drop in Celerio sales might be due to the scrapping of Diesel model.

ii. Some of those Celerio customers might have moved to Wagon R.

iii. But Alto surging to 27K even with the introduction of Kwid 1.0? Is Maruti flooding the dealers with Alto?

iv. Ertiga now touching the 6K levels is something to do with Innova pricing.

v. KUV settling at 2.5K levels.

vi. Nuvosport makes not much difference to M&M's numbers.

vii. BRV settling around 2K levels, way below the competitors.

viii. Ecosport showing strength after price cut.

ix. Kudos to Kwid! You proved that Maruti can be challenged in their forte.

x. Tiago brings a lot of positive aura around the Tata products.

xi. Elantra pulls some numbers.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 6th October 2016 at 18:25.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 19:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

A much better month for Mahindra, both Bolero and TUV show a rise.

Ford Aspire and Figo had a better month but they should be selling a lot more.

Innova seems to have settled at 7-8K per month now.

City has done better but other Hondas are a worry

Duster had a pretty bad month. Can we expect a price cut like the EcoSport, as I for one surely think its over priced.

Thankfully Kwid is maintaining its 10k number and disappointingly RediGo already sees a fall in sales. Clearly shows what a modern flamboyant design can do to a car.

Surprised by Ameo numbers. Is it a supply constraint to accommodate the diesel version? If not, VW has a huge worry on its hands.

Maruti is just going stronger and stronger. Hats off to them. Looks like the MSD push has propelled that Alto way beyond the Kwid. Even the Gypsy has seen an almost 100% increase from its previous month. Looks like a lot of people bought them for tiger reserve safaris before the season starts in October.

Hyundai has as expected retained its number 2 spot with all cars showing a good performance.

GM is showing some traction thanks to its utility vehicles otherwise the car sales are nothing to talk about.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 20:06   #20

Guys, am planning to book a Duster shortly.. But looking at is sales trend.. Is going southward. Should I be worried about it's longevity in Indian market? What do experts suggest. Of course Creta is a safer bet.. But heart is on Duster Awd .

A small saving grace (perhaps} is that atleast Renault - Nissan alliance is doing decent numbers so at least the dealer and service network should continue to improve. Or am I convincing myself.. Would love to hear thoughts.
galant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 20:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is just shy of claiming exact 50% share.

Ritz selling in decent numbers but still MSIL pulling the plug.

Ameo sales are down and Polo + Ameo are showing the old trends.

Ford Aspire sales almost doubled.

BRV looks settled to almost S-Cross levels.

Fiat didn't get any help by Aventurra Cross.

All in all a Bumper month for Maruti.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 20:38   #22
BHPian

It's disheartening to see such capable cars like Storme and Duster doing poor numbers and Scorpio/Creta making a fortune if we compare Storme vs. Scorpio and Creta vs. Duster.

Storme might be a little costly than Scorpio but still deserves better number than these.

For Duster I guess it falls short in interior feel and appeal as compared to Creta. Renault, please revamp the interiors and see the magic!
The ride quality is such phenomenal in Duster! it's perfect for our roads. Don't think many people feel like this way. Sad.

Might be also that Creta is benefiting due to the petrol option?

Talking of petrol, God knows what's stopping Ford in plonking the Ecoboost in the Figo twins.
Dear Ford, please do this asap. You have a good engine at your disposal and Figo twins still feel lacklustre in their petrol avatar as compared to the rocket diesel.
And Ford, smell the air, it's petrol all over again!

And who are those chaps who bought the KUV100? I salute you! I guess you all have got the bull bar installed already or was it part of the deal from Mahindra?
Seriously, that contraption and almost 3k units? OTOH the Bolt did just 700 odd units?
Okay, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder but that KUV beauty?

No offence to anyone guys. The above are just my personal but honest views.
Take care!

Last edited by Sherlocked : 6th October 2016 at 21:04.
Sherlocked is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 21:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the timely monthly round-up Aditya.. well put together as usual.

This time I'm simply, bored of the usual performances (or lack of it).. its gotten to a point where the hot-sellers keep on selling more and more, crushing all the potential equivalents and preventing them from making any kind of impact at all.

While I've been heavily critical of Polo in the past thanks to their engines and zilch features, they have come a long, long way and the Polo today is the most feature-laden hatch (all the useful features) and improving by the day.. its only drawback remains the lack of rear-space but I cannot digest such a massive difference in sales between it and the Baleno. Fiat continues to disappoint but that's more to do with lack of dealerships and fear of more closing shop.

Happy to see Elantra off to a good start and hopefully the Tucson will also taste success in its limited segment. What needs to happen now as far as making things interesting go, should be all within the 8-9L mark, a segment dominated by the number 1 manufacturer and they should be as follows :

1) Re-introduce the Fabia with strong pricing tactics (40-50k below Polo) and make it compete for solid numbers against the competition. A replacement for that wheeze-pot 3 cyl petrol is highly essential if they want the stick-shift versions to sell, that engine is ridiculous.

2) Hyundai should launch an Eon replacement ASAP, which should resemble nothing of the current model, make it well-built, spacious and best-in-class.

3) Fiat should (yes I know its a pipe-dream but just my wish) launch a car below the Punto segment i.e 5-6L on-road pricing with modern styling and trademark dynamics if they need to boost sales and retain dealers. Aegea or Tipo is a distant launch away and by that time I'm not sure if any of their dealerships will remain.

4) Honda must re-vamp the Jazz, its simply not doing enough numbers for now.

5) Just about any manufacturer must jump into the 3-5L segment models, like Renault did, all they've to do is make them stand out and offer something more than the competition.

India is a country made for small cars, small petrol cars and that's what I want to see more of. Hopefully manufacturers will start to give such cars with useful tech, great quality and acceptable build.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th October 2016 at 21:34.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 21:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

This gives a good and clear indication of how the new launches in the UV/Crossover/pseudo-SUV/pseudo-Crossover segments are faring (in the past 15 months, since the Hyundai Creta was launched):

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.jpg

Before Hyundai launched the Creta, this is how the Indian auto market pie looked like in June 2015 (June 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis):

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-june-2015.jpg

15 months later, the transformed pie looks like this in September 2016:

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-sep-16.jpg

MUV & Hatchback market shares have more or less remained steady, while the sedan pie has shrunk, and guess which segment is on the roll?

Of course, boost in demands for cars such as the Ford EcoSport, Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra Bolero, etc., and steady performances by the Maruti Ertiga & Mahindra XUV500 has also helped increase the UV market share.

A very clear indication of where the auto market is heading to.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th October 2016 at 22:25.
RavenAvi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th October 2016, 23:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
May be New Fortuner effect. But not sure why Fortuner is not in the Top Losers list. Could be because of 'known reason ' ?

Aug 16 : 457 & Sep 16 : 8 MoM % - 98.2
It's because Fortuner sold less than 500 units:

Quote:
2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 07:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Superb is picking up as the Diesel variants are readily available now. And it hasnt affected the Octavia too. Good for Skoda.

MSIL's sales machinery is on war. Very high numbers for Alto, Swift, Dzire and WagonR. I guess this is Maruti arming all its dealers for the Diwali mega sales.

I have no idea what Ford is doing with the new Endeavour. Its time to produce at least 700 units per months and consolidate its position in the market. Sell more to sell more! Super hit Brezza is helping the EcoSport. I see so many new EcoSports on road now.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 07:54   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Amazing to see how the Gypsy's sales seem to have literally doubled in this month. Like someone said, must be Civilians buying for Jungle Safaris and/ or Forces purchases.

A 30 years old workhorse, still going strong. Seriously.

And the Kwid really has taken the battle to the fortress!

Looking forward next month to Jeep's figures even though there is another thread which talks about the fact that all the imported CBU Jeeps have gotten sold off already - at least the Cherokees. Thats also amazing for a Rs 1 Cr plus, vehicle! Just shows how much money there is in India.

Wonder when, if ever, regular tax paying fellows like us will get a little bit of that cash...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th October 2016 at 07:58.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 11:40   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
I was eagerly waiting for this thread to know the Jeep sales figures. Too bad that we don't have them. Any specific reason for the Jeep to be missing from here?
When the numbers are embarrassingly low, manufacturers won't share them. That's why you see Jeep, Land / Range Rover, Mahindra E2O, Force Motors etc. missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galant View Post
Guys, am planning to book a Duster shortly.. But looking at is sales trend.. Is going southward. Should I be worried about it's longevity in Indian market?
If you really like the car, what difference does it make? Till very recently, 3 of the 4 cars in my garage were discontinued models. Parts supply won't be an issue either as there are thousands of Dusters on the road already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
It's disheartening to see such capable cars like Storme and Duster doing poor numbers and Scorpio/Creta making a fortune
The Safari is too old, too expensive & too bulky.

The Duster is also too old & too expensive (especially the price without discounts).

Quote:
And who are those chaps who bought the KUV100? I salute you!
Quote:
Seriously, that contraption and almost 3k units?
Have you driven one? Drives decently, and it's remarkable how Mahindra managed to do that with its first hatchback.

Yes, the KUV100 looks terribly w-e-i-r-d. However, its weird looks & pseudo-SUV positioning gave it a differentiator in the overly crowded hatchback segment. You need a differentiator, else you'll sink on launch (e.g. Bolt, Pulse, new Figo, Sail U-VA).
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 12:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, the KUV100 looks terribly w-e-i-r-d. However, its weird looks & pseudo-SUV positioning gave it a differentiator in the overly crowded hatchback segment. You need a differentiator, else you'll sink on launch (e.g. Bolt, Pulse, new Figo, Sail U-VA).
With no disrespect, why I'm baffled with Mahindra and other manufacturers who bring the pseudo suvs at a price of hatchback is that these contraptions soon becomes a trend. A hatchback should be a hatchback and look like a proper one. Not something on slits.
Having no personal problem with any of the manufacturers, if these weird contraptions pick up sales then thanks to the competition, every other manufacturer starts developing something based on the same recipe which is what I fear.
Take Dzire for example and how that has become a hit and every one started introducing these chopped up sedans which are frankly neither here nor there. Some good examples are there too but majority are just weird. A car should look like a proper car. Not something like in your face which frankly appears from Mahindra's design language starting from XUV to the new Scorpio, KUV100 and Nuvosport with those excessive lines and creases. Only the TUV and Bolero looks proper. At least to my eyes.

My fear is that soon others starts taking cues from the success of these type of cars and few years down a line, it becomes a trend.

Bottom line is, every enthusiast wishes to see good looking cars rolling out of showrooms and on the everyday road as well.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 12:22   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Amazing to see how the Gypsy's sales seem to have literally doubled in this month.
Gypsy sales usually swings between 50 - 500 units per month. But if this month's sales can be considered as unusually high, it may have something to do with the pro-war situation in the Indo-Pak relations, IMO. Even Safari sales are increased. Army might have quickly acquired some new vehicles in their preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
With no disrespect, why I'm baffled with Mahindra and other manufacturers who bring the pseudo suvs at a price of hatchback is that these contraptions soon becomes a trend. A hatchback should be a hatchback and look like a proper one. Not something on slits.
Having no personal problem with any of the manufacturers, if these weird contraptions pick up sales then thanks to the competition, every other manufacturer starts developing something based on the same recipe which is what I fear.

Bottom line is, every enthusiast wishes to see good looking cars rolling out of showrooms and on the everyday road as well.
Agree on the highlighted lines. But as long as customers are buying these contraptions, manufacturers can continue with them. DZire is weird, but moves 17K per month. Will Maruti stop it? Omni is decade-old, but sells 6-7K per month. Xylo and KUV are awkwardness in its entirety. Will the respective manufacturers need to stop them? No, IMO. As there are people to buy and use it, it's not manufacturers' mistake to continue with their production.

On a different note, these awkward-looking cars make the good-looking cars even prettier. If all the cars on road are beauty queens, there wont' be any specialty to our favorites. So, buy a good-looking car of your choice, and grab more attention - from ourselves and onlookers!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th October 2016 at 12:38.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks