Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 03:46   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by galant View Post
A small saving grace (perhaps} is that atleast Renault - Nissan alliance is doing decent numbers so at least the dealer and service network should continue to improve. Or am I convincing myself.. Would love to hear thoughts.
Globally Duster is a popular model for the Alliance, I am sure the car will continue to survive. AFAIK, this would be a prime moment to get the Duster since it has been in the market long enough to sort minor niggles and yet doesn't have a looming next generation in the near future. Renault is committed to retaining Duster globally as it recently launched a model with Dual clutch and in India too because it is also RHD export hub.

Great work jpcoolguy. I started with this analyses last month and abandoned midway.

This really answers why Toyota is so resilient in trying to bring up new models to replace/reinforce Etios twins. They are in no haste and the UV products keep the dealers and finance healthy. IMHO, Toyota is most balanced and shows no emotions to enter the sales rat race. This is also very evident globally, with European and American OEMs making evident claims about sales lately, but the Jap gurus at Toyota seem to sustain quite cleanly. They are also no laggards when it comes to innovation (hybrids and now fuel cell) and motorsport (WEC). But on the other hand, I am not a big fan of their new design philosophy. I hope they launch affordable hybrids in India soon.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 8th October 2016 at 06:19. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 8th October 2016, 12:44   #47
BHPian

Re: September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Well more or less the positions are unaltered when compared to yester years sales figures. Maruti Leading the charts and as usual FIAT giving abysmal sales figures . FIAT makes some of the best and robust cars in automobile industry and has been my favorite since childhood. Its real apathy to see the poor sales strategy adopted by FIAT which hardly impacts the figures.Another factor that nail the coffin is the immature servicing and after sales support offered to customers which never gives confidence what Maruti offers at large. Hope FIAT works it out at root level and learn some strategies from top performers in Indian Market.
Old 8th October 2016, 16:23   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can you please add Duster to this equation.
Added a few notable UV releases before the Creta arrived on the scene, and added the monthly sales chart numbers for the past 24 months, i.e., October 2014 to September 2016.

New releases since 2015 are on the left, existing UV models on the right:

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.gif
(Click on the image to open in a *NEW* window)

- In RED, model sales numbers in the Hyundai Creta's initial launch months.
- In ORANGE, model sales numbers in the TUV300's initial launch months.
- In GREEN, EcoSport numbers just before the Vitara Brezza's launch, and the subsequent price correction (in March 2016) + sales numbers in BLUE.
- In BROWN, XUV500 numbers in the Innova Crysta's initial launch months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And if you can add a graph, it would be great. That will clearly indicate the rise and fall of the sales coinciding with new releases (if any).
Tried to make a graph, but the whole chart became too confusing.

Here is the graph of the sales numbers of the abovesaid UV models of the past 24 months:

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-untitled.jpg

Please merge with my post above.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2016 at 09:10. Reason: Merging back to back posts
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 18:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Now, if you were the top leadership of MSIL, you would be really worried. The strategies of past 2 years have brone fruit and they have achieved market share of about 50%. They have cracked and taken leadership of the sedan and entry level UV market with Ciaz and Brezza.
So, what do they do next to hold on to the trend? Remember it is always easy to achieve than to hold on. Will they now go bonkers and try hitting in other higher segments or ringfence their position in the current segments and build large entry barriers? It is a difficult question to answer. Lets wait and watch what MSIL does next.

As I said in one of earlier posts Link, Honda is the biggest loser in these times and they have not been able to arrest their slide for a long time now. Except the sedan segment they are no where and I personally feel that is due to their past brand loyalty of the City. If they do not do something drastic they face the danger of being irrelevant in the market like Chevrolet or Fiat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A good point. Whatever they have done in the last 2 years has turned into gold. Hence not surprising that they are almost at 50% market share. There is one area where they have not yet ventured much and are now ready to get in- which is the performance hatch segment (Well, not real performance hatches-just in the India context). The upcoming Baleno Boosterjet is going to be an entry in this area and I assume and hope that it leads to such turbo petrol engines and better AT gearboxes making its way into some of the other premium models also. An Turbo Petrol S Cross with a Dual Clutch GB would be very welcome here.
If you look at Maruti's launches, they all are late to join the party. Maruti hardly sets a trend or explored the new segment. Let it be monocoque SUVs or compact SUVs or premium hatch or automatics or turbo-charged petrol.

So I think Maruti honchos will let others try and once they sense a business, they will enter giving nightmares to the competition.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 22:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The phenomenal growth of the UV segment !

September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th October 2016 at 22:34.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 15:10   #51
BHPian

Hey Guys, Why is Jazz not selling as well as i20 and Baleno. It looks good, Honda service is reliable. Really curious, Am I missing out on any major reason why the sales are so lackluster?
Old 11th October 2016, 15:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Hey Guys, Why is Jazz not selling as well as i20 and Baleno. It looks good, Honda service is reliable. Really curious, Am I missing out on any major reason why the sales are so lackluster?
Not as feature loaded as the Hyundai nor as VFM as the Maruti. Neither here nor there and pricier than both of them. Magic seats offered only on the top variant left it without an USP.

VX model has two airbags vs Asta(O) version that comes with 6 and projector lamps as well.

Also check the previous gen Jazz vs the current one. Difference is visible as daylight. The desiring factor in owning a Jazz is gone IMO.
SchumiFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 15:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
One primary reason is price, and not being able to justify the premium. The on road price for Jazz Diesel VXMT is 11.29L in Bangalore, while Baleno diesel Alpha comes for 10.42L on road and Elite i20 comes in at 11.03L.

Both these models are highly competent as well when it comes to engine options, interior space, quality and offers a lot more features also in comparison.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 13:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

First-time buyers opt for more loaded car models!

There is a growing trend among first-time car buyers in big cities - they are giving the entry-level cars a miss and are stretching their budgets to get cars which are more loaded with features and are thus more exciting and provide more bang for their bucks.

Of course, the purchasing power of the common customer has increased in recent times, and also there's always the loan/finance route to facilitate a purchase which needs the budgets to be stretched. Suddenly, that particular B-segment premium hatchback/crossover or a particular C-segment sedan/SUV is not too distant from a possible purchase shortlist.

These are the reasons why car sales numbers in the 6 lakh rupee-11 lakh rupee segment has been on a constant rise, while the sub-5 lakh segment is seeing a decline in sales, except for the Renault Kwid and (to some extent) the Tata Tiago.

Quote:
Anuj Singh, a 28-year-old executive working with a Bengaluru-based information technology firm, was looking to buy his first car early this year. After evaluating options in the entry-level small-car space (Alto, Eon and Brio), he decided to stretch his budget a bit to buy Maruti Suzuki’s Baleno.

Singh is not alone. Many first-time buyers, mostly in cities, are in a mood to think big and are opting for the more exciting and loaded vehicles, giving the entry numbers a miss.
Rakesh Srivastava, senior vice-president (sales & marketing), Hyundai:

Quote:
"The entry segment buyer is typically one who upgrades from two-wheeler. This category of buyers is under stress due to macroeconomic factors, especially in small towns and rural areas. On the other hand, in cities, a number of existing entry-level car owners are opting for upgrades. They have the support of resale value from the old car, which makes new purchase easier.
Abdul Majeed, partner at Price Waterhouse:

Quote:
“Entry-level vehicles have not been refreshed for so many years. Buyers can get better products with a host of modern features by paying Rs 1.5-2 lakh more. Many buyers are willing to go for it.”
September 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-14762115837981.jpg

Source and full article - Business Standard
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 13:35   #55
BHPian

Re: First-time buyers opt for more loaded car models!

This is definitely a good thing. More loaded cars means more safety features and the need for aftermarket additions get completely eradicated unless there is an enthusiast or sort. Also, i feel the people of today have a better understanding of cars in terms of features and gizmos. I remember buying a car back 10-20 years ago was just how it looks and how well it drives. Whether it had a power steering or AC was literally like the only requirement way back when. But now, touchscreen, rear camera, sensors, auto locking doors, chrome extravaganza, safety features i.e. airbags, ABS, ESP ESC and all are becoming nearly mandatory. Add to the fact the AT cars are gaining more of a market share. Normally its the top 2-3 variants that get the AT box.

But i sincerely feel the real reason people are option for better specced cars and jumping a segment is due to a better understanding of the market today. The advertisements and promotions and social media activity has really helped the consumer industry as well as the producers. Also, as you mentioned RavenAvi, the loan scheming and financing options are so well put out. It suddenly makes a person cashing a pay check every month dream of buying a BMW instead of a Maruti. And its possible. How often do we see premium brands asking for no down payment and EMI considerably low with the balloon payment option. They lure customers in who can't or probably shouldn't be able to afford the cars with these schemes and offer the end cycle ballon payment when they effectively say that at that point you can just sell the car and pay that balloon payment and upgrade with a new EMI and a bigger car. Its a vicious cycle really, but as long as people are having fun in their new rides, its all good i guess.

Plus higher specced cars mean more safety for its occupants, which is perhaps the only reason or a reason enough to opt for a higher variant. I do not understand how in a country like ours have airbags not become mandatory along with ABS and ESC. But thank god, we'll have the sensors soon
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 17:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One primary reason is price, and not being able to justify the premium. The on road price for Jazz Diesel VXMT is 11.29L in Bangalore, while Baleno diesel Alpha comes for 10.42L on road and Elite i20 comes in at 11.03L.

Both these models are highly competent as well when it comes to engine options, interior space, quality and offers a lot more features also in comparison.
Another reason is poor sales team.
Example: I wanted to check out Jazz seriously before finalizing, but I did not get a test drive, even after several calls. I bought a Fiat Punto.
Old 14th October 2016, 12:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Tried to make a graph, but the whole chart became too confusing.
You can try adding a trendline for the graph - a simple moving average or linear one.

Will give a better idea of how the movement is happening
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:22   #58
BHPian

I wonder how companies are able to sustain the production of non-CBU models with consistent sales <100 units per month. Examples: Chevy Cruze and Renault Scala.

Also surprised to see that Maruti Omni is doing such great numbers MoM, even better than the Eeco which is being used by cabs.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
I wonder how companies are able to sustain the production of non-CBU models with consistent sales <100 units per month. Examples: Chevy Cruze and Renault Scala.
I am not sure about Chevy Cruze, however Renault Scala is nothing but Nissan Sunny with changes to exterior and some changes to interior. Further Nissan Sunny is on same platform as Nissan Micra & Renault Pulse.

So, even though the individual numbers of Scala might not seem worthy to sustain production, but if looked in totality with Sunny, Pulse, Micra (domestic and export), it may still be a notch or two above break-even. Also, it provides the much needed product line-up to fill Renault showrooms.
Old 14th October 2016, 15:28   #60
BHPian

It really breaks my heart to see the Nano go down into the six hundreds per month sales figures. Tata is doing whatever it can and beyond to ensure that the Nano sinks without a trace. I had owned a Nano for 5 wonderful years and the little car served us without a problem. The maintenance itself was so inexpensive that it is unbelievable. Tata has been listening to the prattle of auto journalists and arm chair pundits in "updating" the Nano and sending its price nearer to more expensive cars. The top end of the Nano with AMT is somewhere near one of the trims of the Tiago. Obviously the sales of the Nano have been going south and downhill.

The Datsun story is looking interesting. After the initial success of the Redigo, there seems to have been some rub off onto the sale of the Go and the Go+. But in the last two months all three models are beginning to show a slow down in sales. From a high of 3900 to 2598 in three months is not such a good story for the Redigo. I wonder if Renault with the Kwid has ensured that the Redigo will not become a big success. Datsun also has missed the opportunity of updating the lower trims of the Go and the Go+ when the Redigo sales were on the upswing. Is this a lost opportunity? Only time will tell. But what one can see from the successful entry level cars is that those which have straight lines and practicality and are inexpensive,are the ones that sell. Maybe if Tata and Datsun can have more cars with those parameters with decent interiors and inexpensive pricing, then they could taste some success. The Go Cross has the makings of a successful car. Again one needs to wait and see. Same with the Tata Hexa.

Last edited by sadsack : 14th October 2016 at 15:32.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks