Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 17:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008
BSMotoring did a test of Palio 1.6, Swift and SRV and the Palio won easily. and the "sporty" SRV just abt managed to finish ahead of the much cheaper Swift
Nikhil, that was a "fantasy" race, not a real one , please re-read the last couple of sentences in the article!
Old 13th October 2006, 17:48   #17
Team-BHP Support

The lancer cedia is probably the closest to a true drivers car currently. The engine cant be compared to the OHC's but even the old lancer didnt have a powerful engine.
The cedia's handling is one of the best and it feels solid at high speeds. the steering is well weighted and the car can be thrown around very easily.
the 2L engine is tuned for driveability but at the same it is fast.
Just like the old Lancer it has a low seating position and heavy steering which feels great to drive.
The OHC will always be tough to dethrone but the cedia probably comes in close second with the baleno.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

I heard the Cedia has the underpinnings of the EVO so no doubt it has to be a great handler. Even the old Lancer was a great handler in itself. But engine and other aspects wise sadly it was no where near the OHC as vid said

The Cedia hasnt been marketted properly else I dont see any reason why it cant sell. Its a good car for modifications as well.
Old 13th October 2006, 18:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Go through all the threads on the what car section at team-bhp itself and you will see that most have fuel efficiency as an important criteria for their next car/suv...

Also another problem is the bad roads and traffic[indiscipline more a problem than the quantity of the traffic] ,In the cities it is difficult to use all the available power which the car can provide.Even expressways one cant actually set the roads on fire nowadays.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th October 2006 at 18:30.
Old 13th October 2006, 20:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guess it can be called like this in terms rice boy cars..
Lower segment - Baleno, Lancer, OHC
Upper Segment - Civic, Octavia RS, Corolla...Cedia (tho' ppl hardly buy one)

Then there is the Aveo, NHC, Fiesta which are decent enough, but are still seem more like family cars.

Then there is the diesel class which is getting bigger and better..with the Accent, Elantra, Octavia etc...
Old 13th October 2006, 22:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Nikhil, that was a "fantasy" race, not a real one , please re-read the last couple of sentences in the article!
I know that was a fantasy race....but I thought they REALLY raced (or at least testes) these cars.....
Old 13th October 2006, 22:36   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Corolla is a much better package than the OHC. Now with the new price slashes it is even cheaper than what the OHC was.
I have said it before, and i say it again....The OHC Vtec is too hyped,specially on this forum.
No doubt it is a quick car and does bring a smile on your face when you gunn it...but that car is wayyy too light, thats my biggest problem with it...The car is not well made, Honda pumped in too much power and gave you the same skinny tyres for you to be bouncing all over the place on high speeds....I dont see the point in having a super fast light car which doesnt make you feel safe at high speeds.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2006, 23:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

The only new driver oriented car launched recently has to be the CEDIA...
But its sad to see it become a victim of poor marketing strategy...

Hope the CEDIA will also rise like a Phoenix in coming years as Baleno is doing these days...
Old 14th October 2006, 11:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Tell me one car under 10 lacs that as much fun to drive as my OHC Vtec.
Can't agree more. I have a 5 year old OHC VTEC and there are times I feel like buying a new car but then I look around and I don't have a replacement. Civic has great interiors and gizmos like paddle shifts etc but it ain't more fun to drive that my current ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
I think the Corolla is a much better package than the OHC. Now with the new price slashes it is even cheaper than what the OHC was.
I have said it before, and i say it again....The OHC Vtec is too hyped,specially on this forum.
I paid 10L for my OHC VTEC in 2001. Even if you keep 5% inflation in mind, it was equivalent of high end Civic or Corolla in 2001. So, I agree with you about the price. It wasn't cheap but boy has it been a fun ride!

Yes, Corolla is a better package in terms of Comfort, Interiors engine etc but is it as fun to drive as VTEC ? IMO, no way! To each their own I guess.
Old 14th October 2006, 11:42   #25
BHPian

i feel the main factor governing the introduction of new cars is just one thing-fuel efficiency!!with prices of petrol and diesel hitting the roof,cannot blame anyone for keeping mileage as their main priority.for example,when i bought the palio 1.6 sport 4 months back,my neighbour came and saw the car.guess the 1st question he asked-how much is the mileage??when i told him 12-13kmpl in highway,he gave me a strange look and asked-then why the hell did you buy it??
manufacturers are now facing tougher competition by the day in india.so to get profits they have to cater to what most people want-mileage.if comfort,ride quality,good interiors are thrown in,the merrier!!driving comfort is literraly thrown out of the window.this is the main reason why driver oriented cars are a rarity now.
and as some people ask,where are the roads to enjoy driving?few people go for long drives-as far as city driving in india is concerned the less said the better
the cedia,civic octavia rs are exceptions but how many can afford them(er,ahem,at least i cannot )

Last edited by carfreak : 14th October 2006 at 11:44.
Old 14th October 2006, 11:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Very true mileage is an important concern nowadays. But if you see the cars which delivered the best performance also had the best mileage. The OHC was extremely frugal, the lancer and the baleno both had good mileage too.

In the current crop of cars it's either only performance namely octy RS or mileage an practicality namely NHC.

The corolla is just a mid sized luxury sedan with a powerful engine. It's not driver oriented like the OHC, lancer, baleno or the cedia. These cars speak to the driver and give you a special feeling whenever your in the drivers seat.
Old 14th October 2006, 12:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Very true mileage is an important concern nowadays. But if you see the cars which delivered the best performance also had the best mileage. The OHC was extremely frugal, the lancer and the baleno both had good mileage too.

yeah,thats right too.i guess these jap engines are the best as concerns performance and mileage!!
the fiat palio,octavia,ikon 1.6 all suffer mileage issues though performance is phenomenal
Old 14th October 2006, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Punto Grande Sedan seems quite a looker from this spy pic...
Old 14th October 2006, 22:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ok, it seems currently there is no car which can feed a car manic as OHC did.

In the current lot which car stand first in offering greatest driving pleasure ( for both sedan as well as hatchback)?
Old 14th October 2006, 22:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

Quote:
Its (optra) got a lazy engine, an average gearshift and just about average handling / braking. On the performance front, a Baleno will leave it for dead.
Yes, but to go further than just comfort and VFM....the focus of Indian buyers really is on practicality. Look at the sales figures of the NHC, Innova, Indigo and so on.

wow ! baleno. very true. GTO, i would think that the OHC Vtech was a one of a kind car here in india. Like you said, we look at practicality with minimum running costs. Just look at the cost of petrol. in 2000, when th VTECH was launched along with the baleno & the lancer etc., petrol was Rs.32 per litre or even less. now it has almost doubled. these kind of things plus the stricter pollution norms have shifted the focus of manufacturers from FTD to VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks