Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 15:08   #1
BHPian

VW in India!when???

When do we get to see the golf,jetta/bora,passat & d gti being sold in india.any clues????

I am assuming the following prices :-

Golf-Starting 5.5 lacs.
Jetta-Starting 8 lacs.

what do you guys have to say??anyone else looking forward to these cars orrrrr still thinking of putting in more money & chipping a civic(wth 17" wheels)???

Last edited by Stratos : 14th October 2006 at 22:18.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs

Golf-Starting 5.5 lacs.
Jetta-Starting 8 lacs.
Oops!! I bet it wont be so cheap, that too from VW..
Old 13th October 2006, 15:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Golf-Starting 5.5 lacs.
Make that 2 for me,please.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:47   #4
BHPian

oh alrite,lets make it 6.5lacs onwards for a golf.this figure sounds more reasonable,ritee????

btw nitrous how much do you think should it be ?
Old 13th October 2006, 15:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
oh alrite,lets make it 6.5lacs onwards for a golf.this figure sounds more reasonable,ritee????
I really doubt if they can price it anyway below 10 lakh if they ever bring it to India. For countries like Brazil, they have actually built cheaper models like Polo variants, Fox, etc. The best we can expect at this point of time from them is to bring these models to India. I really doubt whether they will bring in Golf.
Old 13th October 2006, 16:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
When do we get to see the golf,jetta/bora,passat & d gti being sold in india.any clues????
As per AutoCar, Passat is on its way, maybe this month only. Kashyap Motors website too is saying 'Coming soon'...

Quote:
I am assuming the following prices :-

Golf-Starting 5.5 lacs.
Jetta-Starting 8 lacs.
I too doubt it. Jetta's price in US is around $18k which is around 9 lakhs in INR. I guess price might go beyond 10L.
Old 13th October 2006, 16:45   #7
BHPian

deepak-i think u are rite,polo could be the alternative.but the headlights make the car look v ugly.
& im sure nobody in india would buy a 10-12lacs hatch,i.e the golf.

yeis-u mean it would be jetta vs civic(11lac category).this is what im trying to figure out,how would vw place their cars.

Last edited by dhirajs : 13th October 2006 at 16:54.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would spring upto 7L for a loaded Golf. VW, puhleeeeeeezzzeee...
Old 13th October 2006, 17:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

-----------------------OT----------------------
Is this beginning to sound like an auction? :-)
Old 13th October 2006, 20:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

10+ would be a non-starter. They might as well import it rather than build here. We love anything german - but we Indians wouldnt wanna shell out that kind of money for a hatch! Rather, the Fox at 5L onwards would be a good bet.
Old 13th October 2006, 21:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Golf starts at about 14k GBP in britain so taking that into account the car should cost us about 8L before the import duty after deducting british taxes of about 25% on the car.

Even if they bring SKD/CKD units we are looking at a minimum of 10-12L with a basic 1.4 engine & basic spec. One it would simply not sell because it is exhorbitantly expensive, two nobody likes a stripped out expensive car. The GOlf at 5.5 & Jetta at 8 would be impossible. Also just for the record according to VW themselves the Golf is the most expensive small car to produce in Europe due to too many versions of it produced at the same time. The Megane, Focus, Astra etc. cost much less to manufacture and therefore result in more profits for the company.

The Fox has been on the plans for a while but nothing is concrete till VW decides where to setup its plant. Rest VW has decent products with great build quality & interiors but it remains to be seen whether they get the pricing & engines right. With Skoda they have done a good job & do have a head start but the economy/hatch back market here is very competitive & is a different ball game altogether.

I don't expect them to be here before 2008 anyways.

Last edited by iraghava : 13th October 2006 at 21:04.
Old 14th October 2006, 11:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Passat will be non starter

I remember reading that Passat will be priced the other side of 25L. Now with Beemers, Merc and Audi's in that price range, who is going to buy Passat ? VW isn't even a premium brand. Sometimes I have not idea what some of these guys are smoking when they price the brands like VW same as the premium ones.

If VW can bring the Jetta at Civic/Corolla price, that will be fun.
Old 14th October 2006, 12:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Sometimes I have not idea what some of these guys are smoking when they price the brands like VW same as the premium ones.
What about Skoda ??????
Old 14th October 2006, 14:31   #14
BHPian

Volkswagen to roll out "Fox" in India
[Volkswagen va lancer la Fox en Inde]

German car maker Volkswagen AG has firmed up plans to introduce its famed two-box car - Fox. The car — which will compete against the likes of Hyundai Getz, Suzuki Swift, and a host of new roll-outs slated for later this year — will mark Volkswagen’s entry into the Indian car market.

According to sources, the firm plans to set up an integrated passenger car and commercial vehicle plant in Vishakapatnam, and investments to the tune of Rs 5,000 crore (approx. € 900 million) have already been firmed up.

"The Fox is slated to hit the Indian roads by the end of 2006, which will be followed in close succession by light commercial vehicles. At a later stage, VW also plans to introduce its range of heavy trucks and buses in India," the source added.
The Economic Times: May 30, 2005

This article happens to be quite old,but atleast it tell us what vw has to offer.

Last edited by dhirajs : 14th October 2006 at 14:43.
Old 14th October 2006, 14:47   #15
BHPian

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...434488,00.html

The above article is a more recent one,dated Aug 31'06.

Volkswagen is planning to invest €400 million to build a new factory in India. The final decision is likely to come at the next meeting of VW's board in September. But it's a move that is expected to generate massive controversy -- not least of all because Volkswagen's European factories are currently operating at under capacity. The company is even considering closing plants in Spain and Belgium -- a move that would result in mass layoffs.

Nevertheless, VW's top executives are convinced that the automaker needs to open up shop in India -- the world's second most important growth market after China. European automobile companies have had little success with exports to India because of the country's exorbitant import tariffs. The planned plant would be used to create cars specifically for the domestic market. Among the ideas being discussed are plans to create a no-frills, stripped down version of the VW Polo or the VW Golf, which is manufactured in Brazil. To make the car affordable for Indians with modest wages, the company plans to build models without features that would be standard in Western markets -- like power steering and side air bags.

Last edited by dhirajs : 14th October 2006 at 14:50.

Most Viewed