Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 16:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha

Spotted Tata Xenon facelift with automatic transmission or AMT. The GLE variant was loaded with Automatic gearbox. Also a Ford Ranger pick up truck was parked with the 2 Xenons. I am not sure if ford is planning to launch ranger here or Tata is using it as a benchmark.

Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-img_20161015_161547_lr.jpg

Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-img_20161015_161426_lr.jpg

Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-img_20161015_161508_lr.jpg

Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-img_20161015_143245471_lr.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 15th October 2016 at 17:53.
tushky is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 16:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Spotted Tata Xenon facelift with automatic transmission or AMT. The GLE variant was loaded with Automatic gearbox. Also a Ford Ranger pick up truck was parked with the 2 Xenons. I am not sure if ford is planning to launch ranger here or Tata is using it as a benchmark.
Nice spot

The warning/testing stickers at the rear are identical, which strongly implies they're part of the same fleet.

If Tata were using it as a benchmark, they wouldn't bother taping over the Ford logos, it'll be a selling point to be benching against one of the big names in pick-up trucks internationally.

So it seems more likely that Ford is doing testing here - whether it is using Indian conditions to test for the far-East, South African or Australian market, or to actually consider a launch here is probably the only unknown.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 16:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Nice spot

The warning/testing stickers at the rear are identical, which strongly implies they're part of the same fleet.

If Tata were using it as a benchmark, they wouldn't bother taping over the Ford logos, it'll be a selling point to be benching against one of the big names in pick-up trucks internationally.

So it seems more likely that Ford is doing testing here - whether it is using Indian conditions to test for the far-East, South African or Australian market, or to actually consider a launch here is probably the only unknown.
The magic's and the tata bus behind all have red temp plates as well.
(sorry, i'm jobless right now! )
So there is a good probability that its a tata test fleet!
The xenons are exported as well I guess, so makes sense to benchmark it against the ford.

But honestly I have no idea. Its a wild guess!

Last edited by N.r.K : 15th October 2016 at 16:47.
N.r.K is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 21:30   #4
BHPian

It indeed looks like Tata test fleet. Saying so because the vehicles bear a Maharashtra registration. Ford plant is in Chennai and their test cars bear TN plates.
Good to see Tata benchmarking its product with a very popular pick-up truck globally.
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 21:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

God, I saw this [Ford Ranger in similar color] Ranger yesterday in Nepal and I just so wanted to get behind its wheel. Appears much more beefy than the Hilux.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 23:35   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2016 at 09:54.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th October 2016, 00:48   #7
BHPian

The ranger seems to be the older version going by the headlights and interior. The new one, refreshed this year has the endeavour interiors. I don't think Ford will test an older model unless they plan on launching it against the xenon 😂. Seems to be Tata benchmarking it against its xenon😁
rambo1o1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 07:34   #8
BHPian

I think these are being tested and benchmarked for the South Africa market. Xenon is already fairly popular there as a reliable & easy on pocket pick up.
avingodb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 13:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

While competitive benchmarking is a common practise, this is the first time I am seeing it happen on road in India. Good to see Tata striving to meet international quality benchmarks.
I wish they used more of their inhouse benchmarking from JLR to build a good quality sedan to take on the Ciaz and SUV/MUV to take on the Innova. They have a bottom to top approach with their new small cars but I think a top to bottom would work well if it get the styling and product quality right. Perhaps a NEXA sort of approach could work well.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 19:48   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2016 at 09:55.
raycers_honda is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th October 2016, 14:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Contrary to my earlier statement, and in line with what many others have said here, it does appear that this is indeed Tata using the Ford Ranger as a benchmark for the Xenon.

Zauba lists the following 3 Rangers as having been imported:
Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-20161017-3.png
Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-20161017-2.png

Assuming the VIN numbers provided on Zauba are correct, then the first car which was imported from Australia is the one spotted by tushky, since a comparison against Ford ETIS shows that it is an AT variant, which matches the photo in the first post (the other 2 VINs are for MT variants).
Name:  20161017 4.png
Views: 16980
Size:  50.6 KB

As it was imported from Australia, a little digging around Ford's Australian site gives us this specific model: 4x4 Wildtrak Double Cab Pick-up 3.2L.
Spotted! Tata Xenon Facelift. EDIT: Launched as the Xenon Yodha-1249242920222.jpg
  • 5-cylinder 3.2L diesel engine putting out 200 ps power
  • Mated to a 6-speed automatic 6R80 gearbox supporting 4-wheel drive
  • This is the same drivetrain we get in the Ford Endeavour
  • Payload of 950 kg
  • Towing capacity of 3.5 tonnes

Alrighty Tata, now show us what you've created!
arunphilip is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 14:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Contrary to my earlier statement, and in line with what many others have said here, it does appear that this is indeed Tata using the Ford Ranger as a benchmark for the Xenon.
So is Tata trying to have a better presence in AU ? Would tie with the recent reports of Car manufacturers trying to move out of that country. Any upgraded / new models could be targeted at AU and S.E Asia too.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Autocar is reporting that Xenon is getting an update. I wonder if they have just cobbled up the article, after seeing this thread though!

Quote:
Fast forward to 2016, Isuzu entered this market recently with the V-Cross and Mahindra is readying an update for the Getaway too, which will get equipment and mechanical touches from the refreshed Scorpio. To counter this competition, Tata Motors is readying a mid-cycle refresh to its Xenon XT 4WD pickup. The Xenon currently is available with a 2.2-litre 140hp engine mated to a manual transmission. The refreshed Xenon XT is likely to get the same unit that does duty under the hood of the Safari Storme Varicor400 and soon to be launched Hexa crossover. Apart from the mechanical changes, the Xenon will also get subtle cosmetic updates and more equipment than the current model.

With the more powerful engine, the Xenon will deliver a healthy 156hp and 400Nm of torque. What’s more, there are talks of an automatic variant too. A six-speed automatic gearbox will join in the standard five-speed manual variant. This engine-gearbox combination is likely to be available on the Hexa as well as Safari Storme in future as well. Expect the updated Xenon XT to launch in India in the coming months.
source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...te-403277.aspx

Last edited by safari_lover : 17th October 2016 at 15:04.
safari_lover is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 10:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

If a macho outdoors-type pickup truck is equipped with AT (and it sells well), it should greatly help in dispelling the misconception that ATs are primarily for vehicles confined to the cities.

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th October 2016 at 10:29.
Old 19th October 2016, 21:39   #15
BHPian

Had visited Metro Ford last week in Bangalore and looked at the Ford Endeavour. A friend of mine and I both felt it was a little too big even for hill station drives.

Incidentally, a few days later, there was a monstrously large vehicle that pulled up next to me at a traffic signal and the kind of engine music and the tyres got a "must be Endeavour" thought. Closer examination found it was a Tata Xenon.

Just a thought, would Tatas make a passenger Xenon to compete with Endeavour? A 35 lakh Endeavour at 15 lakhs, with a TATA stamp!

Best regards,
NagaSid
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks