Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2017, 05:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car buying, registration & licence advice for the Physically Challenged - All you need to know

Thanks for the details for people to find out more about it.

One important thing which you missed is that there is an excise duty exemption given by central government.

The requisite notifications and forms are here, http://dhi.nic.in/UserView/index?mid=2408 . You need to do the following steps.

1. Get medical certificates
2. Book the car with the dealer
3. Get a letter from the car dealer that they can provide a car to you which you can drive. (with modifications)
4. A writing from you, that you have not availed this concession since last 5 years and will not dispose off your car in next 5 years.
5. Send this letter with request of concession on excise duty to the Min of Heavy Industries office in New Delhi.
6. Government will take some time, max time is around 1.5 months.
7. Once your application is approved, a letter will come to your address (and to dealer, I am not sure of this).
8. You can show the same to the dealer and get the concession on excise duty.

The excise duty applicable for PwD is 8% flat across all cars, as compared to 16% Or 24% for bigger cars. Lower excise duty means lower cost and lower Insurance cost too.

So there are three levels for benefits
1. Excise concession from central government (flat rate of 8%)
2. Road tax exemption from State government RTO. (fully exempted)
3. Insurance concession of 50% from State Insurers like Oriental etc.
tanwaramit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 08:22   #17
BHPian

Re: Car buying, registration & licence advice for the Physically Challenged - All you need to know

One Update regarding GST Concession
In. Recent order, a car for differently abled will get GST concession only if it is a small car. That is
Under 4m
Under 1200cc for petrol and under 1500 cc for diesel

But note: road tax exemption is still valid for any car though
Old 21st March 2021, 01:07   #18
BHPian

Car Registration Process for Disabled

One of my friends is unfortunately polio struck from his childhood so he cannot operate both his legs equally. Fortunately he is better with his right leg and I let him test drive my automatic car, which he could drive without any attachments. He already drives a 2-wheeler scooter with side wheel attachments for years, has license for that. I want some help with information if he can legally drive such a car with an automatic transmission and if so, what would be the registration process for that.

For manual cars with attachments I heard of some process like having the car temporarily registered from the showroom and then, after the fitment of the after-market gears, it is specially registered to the disabled persons name to allow him to drive only that vehicle. However, for automatic transmission, if no extra gear is required, what would be the process? Please help if anyone has any information. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st March 2021 at 09:28. Reason: Spacing for better readability. Please search for existing threads on topics discussed before. Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2021, 03:11   #19
BHPian

Re: Car Registration Process for Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2krish View Post
However, for automatic transmission, if no extra gear is required, what would be the process? Please help if anyone has any information. Thanks in advance.
No extra steps that I had to follow (my case being that I cannot use left hand). If the person has a driving license for the category of car & is able to drive the car without extra aids, then there shouldn't be anything special needed to be done.
If you want to claim the excise though, there is a painful process to get a letter/certificate from the manufacturer to state that the car is suited for the disability of that person & something more (too much red tape & running around when I tried a decade & half back, & I just abandoned that mid-way)
Old 22nd March 2021, 04:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anks_at View Post
No extra steps that I had to follow (my case being that I cannot use left hand). If the person has a driving license for the category of car & is able to drive the car without extra aids, then there shouldn't be anything special needed to be done.
If you want to claim the excise though, there is a painful process to get a letter/certificate from the manufacturer to state that the car is suited for the disability of that person & something more (too much red tape & running around when I tried a decade & half back, & I just abandoned that mid-way)
Thank you so much for the information. It would definitely help. I would pass on the information. However, he still needs to get his license to drive a car. Now to get that, is it require for him to first buy the automatic car and give the test and get it or is there a way that he can give the test in my car and get a license - that neither he nor I am quite sure as well. Things might have changed quite a lot in terms of regulations and capabilities of the modern transmissions to enable specially abled persons drive with more controls, so, you might not have the rules applicable now. However, in case you have any information regarding this, please do responds. I am also trying to get information, but as you know, there are much lesser cases and references, many don't know the rules. Thank you again for your help.
Old 23rd March 2021, 03:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2krish View Post
is it require for him to first buy the automatic car and give the test and get it or is there a way that he can give the test in my car and get a license
My knowledge of the rules is slightly outdated now, but it used to be ok to give your driving tests in somebody else's car as long as you brought one. You didn't need to own a car for the license process. I would think that, that was sensible & would still be the same, but yes, do not know for sure.

Last edited by anks_at : 23rd March 2021 at 03:57.
anks_at is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 14:51   #22

Would GST and road tax be waived off if buying SUVs like XUV700 or alike which attracts 28% GST or can 18% concessions be availed if going for more than 4m SUVs?
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:19   #23
BHPian

There is an upper cap on the engine capacity (cc) beyond which the waiver of GST does not apply. My friend bought Ecosport 1.5 petrol, he did not get the waiver, due to the engine volume. For petrol, most probably the cap is set to 1200 cc. However, if you register under specially aided vehicle category, the road tax would be completely exempted, but in that case, legally, the vehicle can only be driven by the person whom it is registered with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks