Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 10:18   #16
BHPian

Re: British Petroleum to set up petrol pumps in India

Really, it is a welcome move.

Hopefully BP does not compromise on the quality of fuel while keeping the price competitive. As the saying goes, "Competition benefits the consumer", we shall have another viable option to buy better fuel.

I am always obsessed with the Shell fuel (petrol in particular) and do make a point to fill up the car, whenever I come across any shell outlet during outstation trips. Sadly, I do not find any Shell outlet here in Mumbai, although they are very much present in other large cities like Bangalore and Chennai. Hopefully, BP does not take a call on the same lines but instead shows up in Mumbai as well, with at least 5-6 outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
In the US, one can see them bang opposite to the Shell outlets mostly
I shall be very sad if BP follows the same strategy here in India. As per my experience, Shell has better quality fuel compared to few others. For the person on a highway looking for quality fuel (and willing to pay a little extra), it does not make much sense to have two vendors at the same location and then none for the next 400-500 km’s. I would instead prefer them having spread out with alternating outlets at some 100 Kms apart from each other.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

What is the sourcing strategy of BP?

Importing finished products and selling in India???
That may make the stuff uncompetitively priced compared to inefficient PSUs.
(Customs on finished products is always higher than crude, in order to protect the Indian refineries)
(https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...,d.dmo&cad=rja)

Or will they buy products from the Indian pool (PSUs + Essar + Reliance) and sell the same stuff - same wine in a different bottle?

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th October 2016 at 12:38.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 15:51   #18
BHPian

I for one love to see more private players in this segment. There is an ESSAR pump which is shut all the time. It only opens up for 1 or 2 months and then shuts shop for 4 months. I do a full tank whenever I find it open because their fuel quality is better. Maybe they sell better octane rating fuel. There is reliance but they don't have premium petrol. As for all the other pumps in the place I live, they are not mostly company owned and they don't stock premium petrol. They just buy every kind of fuel and when they run out of ordinary petrol, they sell the premium ones. It is just like that.

I would happily welcome British Petroleum if they sell me premium petrol but their penetration into the market in the beginning would be less.

By the way, I find speed from Bharat Petroleum to be good but Xtra Premium from Indian Oil seems nothing different from ordinary petrol.
Old 21st October 2016, 11:16   #19
BHPian

It's great news.

Petrol pumps in India need competition and up-gradation of infrastructure as well, especially on the highways.

Almost a decade back, Reliance had opened up a few - on the highways - complete with rest areas, washrooms, food courts, etc. All of them are buried under weed now. However, i read a report that Reliance is looking to revive these assets again.

Having said that, more than the infra, the need of the hour i guess is Quality of fuel--hopefully with firms like BP getting into the game on its own shall bring some much needed change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks