Team-BHP - Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/181387-rumour-bmw-launch-petrol-variants-x3-x5-edit-launched.html)

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW is reportedly planning to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5 SUV in India. The X3 petrol will likely be introduced in the 28i trim, while the X5 petrol is expected to be launched in the 35i variant. The German automaker is also mulling over new petrol variants for other models in its Indian portfolio.

In line with these plans, BMW has imported two batches each of the X3 28i and the X5 35i into India. Each batch contains 24 CKD units of the petrol SUVs.

The BMW X3 28i is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, that churns out 237 BHP and 353 Nm of torque. Meanwhile, the X5 35i gets a 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder petrol unit that churns out 296 BHP and 407 Nm of torque. Both these engine options use the 8-speed steptronic transmission. Zauba import record suggests that the models launching in India will come with BMW's xDrive AWD system.

The decision to introduce petrol models in the country has likely been taken after noticing an apparent shift in customer preferences in the country, as the Indian automotive market is showcasing an inclination towards gasoline powered cars. BMW's arch rival, Mercedes-Benz, has already launched a petrol variant for all models in its line-up. Hence, BMW too is now planning to give customers the choice to choose their fuel option in various models.

Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched-cq5dam.resized.img.1680.large.time1448651187030.jpg

Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched-cq5dam.resized.img.1680.large.time1448247247736.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4084943)
Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

BMW is reportedly planning to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5 SUV in India. The X3 petrol will likely be introduced in the 28i trim, while the X5 petrol is expected to be launched in the 35i variant. The German automaker is also mulling over new petrol variants for other models in its Indian portfolio.

A better option would be to get the X1 in Petrol. X3 and X5 are large sized SUVs which in my opinion would need a diesel. But good that BMW is now proactive and coming out with options that consumers seek.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4084943)
The BMW X3 28i is powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine, that churns out 237 BHP and 353 Nm of torque. Meanwhile, the X5 35i gets a 3.0-litre turbocharged six-cylinder petrol unit that churns out 296 BHP and 407 Nm of torque. Both these engine options use the 8-speed steptronic transmission. Internationally, both these models are offered with the company's rear-wheel drive (sDrive) system.

I can only see xDrive versions on the 28i on the international site. Am I reading this wrong? I would love to see a petrol xDrive X3. Would check a lot if boxes for me.

http://m.bmw.com/m/mobi/com/en/newve...nical-data.cml

While it's great to have more options, I agree with nurni76. In India, big SUV = diesel. More practical, longer tank range and IMHO, more reliable when we're talking about European cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinodbollini (Post 4085135)
I can only see xDrive versions on the 28i on the international site. Am I reading this wrong?

Thank you! Corrected.

Given the 3GT has been recently launched with a 30i engine, I would expect it to make sense for them to launch it in that state of tune first (x3 30i).
Also, given there will be very few takers (heck - look at the 520i which needed massive discounts to sell!), I would expect BMW to launch it using the CBU route. If not, I am sure there will be huge discounts on offer very soon!

The Secret and important news in this article, is the availability of a 35i engine.

Ooooohhh myyyyyyyy!!

Is there a chance that engine may be available on the 3, or the 5?

Would be the 1st in line for a 335i

- Nucliomaniac

Whats nice and encouraging is:
- to watch BMW getting pro-active with more launches.
- the EU Manufacturers offering a wider range of petrols with newer launches.
- the market swing towards petrols: Just gives scope for newer engines and technology in the market.

Doubts/Apprehensions however:
- Most of the EU petrol engines demand/run better on high octane petrol. Availability across the market is still a question.
- The never-ending trend of downsizing (and turbocharging) the engines just takes away the pleasure of driving bigger powerful engines. A 28i or a 30i is a mere 4 Cyl Unit that costs upwards of INR 60L on-road in places like Bangalore. Nevertheless, still better than the 1.4 in the A4 :OT

Also, the Indian driving conditions involve regular change of speed and work through the gears: gives the Diesels (torque) an upper edge, at least in terms of perception in some cases.

Its amazing how the tide has turned in favour of petrol luxury vehicles. I do agree with two things though - luxury euro cars, i feel safer with diesel. And even on sedans, the long tank range of diesels is just so amazing. Knowing you have 600 kms + under your belt is just soooo much more comfortable for touring and city driving alike than having to top up every 200 odd kms (which is what my 6 kmpl Civic requires).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac (Post 4085476)
Is there a chance that engine may be available on the 3, or the 5?

Would be the 1st in line for a 335i

- Nucliomaniac

The related new is autocarIndia tells that the 3 series will come with 252 BHP 330i (the same 2L version from GT). Even that is very interesting than the current 320i.
I guess, this will be an addition to the new gen 3-er

Quote:

Originally Posted by RakishRam (Post 4085794)
The related new is autocarIndia tells that the 3 series will come with 252 BHP 330i (the same 2L version from GT). Even that is very interesting than the current 320i.
I guess, this will be an addition to the new gen 3-er

The 330i is expected, and is eagerly awaited.

If Wishes were horses, then we would also welcome the 335i with open arms. The engine would be available for the X3, there is a small chance, they could make it available as a 335i, or 340i, a very small chance ... man, that would be something.

- Nucliomaniac

BMW has launched it the X3 28i and the X5 35i, both of which would be gas guzzlers, I doubt there is a market for this, SUVs and diesels are what we are nearly programmed to accept. Rich folks don't buy petrols, for two reason, they are smart not to waste money and buying a sophisticated car that is affected by fuel quality(suspect nearly everywhere) is stupidity.

The 28i, now called 30i in its latest version could be popular for the 3,5 and X1, beyond that diesel rules.

BMW has launched petrol variants of the X3 and X5 SUVs in India. Both these models will be locally produced at BMW's plant in Chennai. The X3 petrol is priced at Rs. 54.90 lakh, while the X5 petrol has been launched at Rs. 73.50 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi).

The X3 petrol is available in the xDrive28i trim level and features the xLine design scheme. It is powered by a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine that churns out 241 BHP and 350 Nm of torque, while being mated to an 8-speed Steptronic gearbox. BMW claims that the car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 6.5 seconds. The X3 xDrive28i is available in four colour options: Alpine White, Black Sapphire, Deep Blue and Melbourne Red.

Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched-unnamed-1.jpg

The X5 petrol has been launched in the xDrive35i guise and gets the 'Design Pure Experience' package. Powering the X5 petrol is a 3.0-litre, inline six-cylinder engine that generates 302 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. Transmission duties are handled by an 8-speed Sport Steptronic gearbox. The X5 also boasts of a company-claimed 0-100 km/h sprint time of 6.5 seconds. It can be opted in four colours: Alpine White, Black Sapphire, Imperial Blue and Sparkling Brown.

Rumour: BMW to launch petrol variants of the X3 and X5. EDIT: Launched-unnamed.jpg

Both models get BMW's xDrive all-wheel drive system, 6 airbags, ABS and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) as standard. The X5 petrol comes with a 10.2-inch infotainment system, iDrive Touch controls with handwriting recognition, rear view camera and a Harman Kardon-sourced sound system. On the other hand, the X3 petrol features a smaller 8.8-inch display, iDrive touch controller and a rear view camera.

Link to Team-BHP News

Petrol SUVs are pointless really. German diesels these days are so good and so refined that, with SUVs atleast, there really is no reason to not buy the diesel. In the UK, I believe cars like the X3 are diesel only. No petrol power option whatsoever. I think manufacturers unnecessarily over reacted to the whole Delhi diesel ban and rushed to bring in their petrols.

Three problems with high priced German petrol SUVs
1) High running cost due to lower mileage and expensive fuel
2) Vulnerability to low octane and adulterated petrol
3) Poor resale value compared to the equivalent diesels.

All this and no real advantage in terms of performance and only a negligibly lower NVH.

Excellent news. They should offer this inline 6 petrol in the x3 as well as in the 3 and 5 series. No spare wheel yet, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4106039)
Excellent news. They should offer this inline 6 petrol in the x3 as well as in the 3 and 5 series. No spare wheel yet, right?

Most of the Bimmers come with a space saver in the boot, since 2014. It does eat up boot space, but at least they're providing it now.