Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 06:28   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post
Going by previous Jeep pricing, Fiat India folks think that Indians are in awe of the Jeep hertitage and would pay a premium. Forget a premium , most would not like to pay at par prices to own a Fiat. Years ago I picked up a Santro when I wanted a Palio. Again , I played safe with a City, while I wanted a Linea. They need to also know that Indians had not paid too much of attention for Rs 15 lakhs + -5 seater- SUV, except for Tuscon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
30-50L? What are they smoking? A 5 seater with a dodgy service network and competing with the European cars? Surely they can't be serious? My tip says that the price will be between 20-30L on-road. Give or take a couple of Lakhs. Sounds much more reasonable.
They are benchmarking against the Discovery Sport and X1 and Q3. I told him that I don't think Indians put the Jeep brand at par with the luxury segment, but he seemed to be very confident, as globally the Jeep Compass goes against those models.

Let's see where they end up.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st March 2017 at 10:18. Reason: Edited post to remove whitespaces
Old 31st March 2017, 06:29   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

I hope fiat have done their research this time around. They need to understand that even though the compass is a full blown off-roader with all bells and whistles, in India it will still compete with a front wheel drive 4x2 hatchback like the Creta, purely on perceived size and interior trims. Very few people in India will take the compass off-road or even use the full capabilities provided. If they price the compass upwards of 30 lacs, people will compare it with ladder on frame SUVs and reject it. If they price it around 17/20 lacs, it will still compete with the likes of Creta, duster and for people looking for more seating even the Xuv and the Hexa. I truly believe fiat have lost the plot in getting the compass so late into the market. They should have got the jeep here before the compact 'suv' segment was even created to gain the first mover and price positioning advantage.
I am sure there are a few informed, aware buyers who understand the jeep heritage and capabilities to respect the machine and the price, however considering how the yeti was received, wouldn't expect it to sell in any significant numbers.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 07:04   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
They are benchmarking against the Discovery Sport and X1 and Q3. I told him that I don't think Indians put the Jeep brand at par with the luxury segment, but he seemed to be very confident, as globally the Jeep Compass goes against those models.

Nope. Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with Discovery Sport and Q3 as its at a similar price range. Well technically one level below
Jeep Compass is called the most economical and value Jeep, and the competition for this is stuff like Nissan Rogue, or the Subaru XV.

At 19000$ starting price, it costs half that of a Disco. Jeep Grand Cherokee at 30K odd starting price is more in that segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I hope fiat have done their research this time around. They need to understand that even though the compass is a full blown off-roader with all bells and whistles, in India it will still compete with a front wheel drive 4x2 hatchback like the Creta,.
Actually it isn't. Yes the trail rated Compass is fairly competitive, a simple Forester will still trump it. The only "SUV' Jeep which can actually tackle serious off road stuff is the Jeep Grand Cherokee, especially with its air suspension which allows for an extra inch or clearance, and low range transfer case.

Compass, Rogue, Subaru CrossTrek, are AWD soft roaders. Price wise, Q3,Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are at Santa Fe range in the west (a notch below Disco).

From a value point of view, we cannot say that Compass should cost 20,000$ in India too, but if we go with relative pricing, it should be about 20% less than similarly equipped Santa Fe.

But I cannot understand Jeep Pricing in India. Internationally, Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with the likes of 4runner, which is a ladder on frame vehicle very similar to Fortuner, but a segment above due to various off road features available. So Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 should be about 15-20% more than Fortuner 4x4, not at 3x (which I believe is the case).
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 07:41   #169
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope. Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with Discovery Sport and Q3 as its at a similar price range. Well technically one level below
Jeep Compass is called the most economical and value Jeep, and the competition for this is stuff like Nissan Rogue, or the Subaru XV.

At 19000$ starting price, it costs half that of a Disco. Jeep Grand Cherokee at 30K odd starting price is more in that segment.

Compass, Rogue, Subaru CrossTrek, are AWD soft roaders. Price wise, Q3,Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are at Santa Fe range in the west (a notch below Disco).

From a value point of view, we cannot say that Compass should cost 20,000$ in India too, but if we go with relative pricing, it should be about 20% less than similarly equipped Santa Fe.

But I cannot understand Jeep Pricing in India. Internationally, Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with the likes of 4runner, which is a ladder on frame vehicle very similar to Fortuner, but a segment above due to various off road features available. So Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 should be about 15-20% more than Fortuner 4x4, not at 3x (which I believe is the case).

Excellent input.

This is why right now, sitting in India, I am happy with my Yeti and my Gypsy - at the combined price of both including maintenance and expenditure over the last 5 odd years, both of these together still work out cheaper than if I buy a Jeep.

So, the Jeep, in my case at least, shall remain a pipe dream until a good second hand Wrangler comes onto the market at a nice price.

Until then, I shall try and rent a Jeep when I travel somewhere on holiday and keep myself happy overall!
Old 31st March 2017, 08:30   #170
Team-BHP Support

I was told that they are targeting the XUV500 segment. With 1.4 L or 1.9L engines , they cannot stretch the Jeep pedigree too far. I expect it to undercut the Tiguan
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 10:08   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

I don't know who this guy at FCA is but the Compass is not being benchmarked against the X1 & Q3. At the same time the diesel will be priced higher then the Creta because the Compass gets a 2L 170bhp engine against the 1.6L diesel in Creta. The 1.4L Multiair petrol may be priced around the Creta levels to pull buyers to the showrooms.

I think the car may get priced from 19 to 27L ex-showroom. FCA may target Hyundai Tucson at the top end for their 2L diesel since even the Tucson gets a 2L 185hp diesel engine. I feel the Jeep brand is strong enough to do that.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 10:52   #172
Senior - BHPian

I'm still hoping that Fiat and Jeep have some strategy in place to make a niche segment for themselves in India. If the Compass is priced at say 25 lakhs+ then at best they can generate 300-500 units a month. And say they launch the Indian version of the Renegade at about 15-20 lakhs, then the combine volume of both the cars may not exceed 1500 units. Considering that the Punto and the Linea are almost non existent, does FCA want to make a comeback in India for a meagre 1500 unit sale projection?

I know even VW does similar numbers, but they have more brands in India, Skoda and Audi. Also their recent tie up with Tata means they have some long term plan for India in the core segments.

With FCA there is nothing in plan apart from the Compass and the Renegade. How are they going to survive with just 2 cars and with both being above the core segment of 4-10 lakhs?
Old 31st March 2017, 11:00   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Also, it would be nice to compare how much it is selling at, in other countries in S E Asia, Middle East, the US itself, UK, Australia and South America and then make a comparison with the price of this vehicle in India.
Here are the 2017 sales data for Jeep Compass and Renegade,

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-c.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-r.jpg

Source-Jeepdata

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st March 2017 at 11:02.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 14:58   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here are the 2017 sales data for Jeep Compass and Renegade,
============
Source-Jeepdata

Would be great to get the comparative pricing across different markets for the Compass.
Then we can surmise a bit!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2017 at 18:45. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 31st March 2017, 17:59   #175
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Would be great to get the comparative pricing across different markets for the Compass.
Then we can surmise a bit!

Jeep Compass Trailhawk full option is around $ 31000 in America. Only one Engine trim available there. It gets the 2.4 Ltr Tigershark Petrol.

To keep the Petrol priced lower, India might/will get the 1.4 ltr turbo Petrol.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 31st March 2017 at 18:01.
Old 31st March 2017, 18:51   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Jeep Compass Trailhawk full option is around $ 31000 in America. Only one Engine trim available there. It gets the 2.4 Ltr Tigershark Petrol.

To keep the Petrol priced lower, India might/will get the 1.4 ltr turbo Petrol.

In consideration of this, the suggested pricing of about 25 lacs on road in India for the full option trailhawk version, does seem kind of reasonable.
But it would be sad if they give us only a small engine rather than the big bad one!
Old 31st March 2017, 19:28   #177
BHPian

US Prices (MSRP)
BMW X1 $33,100-35,100 https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/xmodels/x1.html

Audi Q3 $31,800 https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q3-crossover

Mercedes GLA $32,850 https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic.../bodystyle-SUV

JEEP Compass $20,995 - $28,995
http://www.jeep.com/compass.html

So yeah, it's a good $10,000 cheaper for the base version, but the way the CBUs are priced, I don't know what Jeep plans to do

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-1490968678850.jpg
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 12:17   #178
BHPian

Got some more news. Recently FCA invited all their suppliers at Ranjangaon plant where India made Compass were showcased (incld. export models) but the real intent was to emphasize on the quality of the parts that suppliers will be providing. It seems FCA is pulling out all stops to ensure Compass get quality parts from day 1 since its more than 90% localized.

One of my friends (a supplier) saw a 2.0 liter diesel Compass and he was really impressed with the interiors. Told me that engine noise could be barely heard inside the cabin.

The ex-showroom price for the base model is going to be 17 lacs and the top model will be around 20.5 ex-showroom. It seems 2.4 liter version is meant for exports only and the launch will be in July/August
JKBKS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 13:25   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Got some more news.
===========
The ex-showroom price for the base model is going to be 17 lacs and the top model will be around 20.5 ex-showroom. It seems 2.4 liter version is meant for exports only and the launch will be in July/August
20.5 Lakhs exshowroom for the top end diesel automatic and trail hawk edition is some serious pricing. But I suspect these to be ex factory prices somehow. Hope this is the price, at this price, it can certainly garner some volumes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2017 at 18:45. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 14:15   #180
BANNED

The trail hawk is likely not going to be launched in india. Autocar india has been stressing that a lot and they usually seem to get things correct.
I may be wrong but since that version has considerably different drivertrain specs and dimensions, it may not be possible to achieve a good price in the lower numbers expected in india and RHD export markets.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks