Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2017, 15:17   #181
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
20.5 Lakhs exshowroom for the top end diesel automatic and trail hawk edition is some serious pricing
Since Trailhawk comes with a 2.4 liter engine, I don't think it will be launched in India. Regarding the engine/gearbox options, I am told that whatever is available in Chinese market will be launched in India. This points to a 7-speed automatic for India than the 9-speed automatic available in US.
Old 1st April 2017, 16:57   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
The ex-showroom price for the base model is going to be 17 lacs and the top model will be around 20.5 ex-showroom. It seems 2.4 liter version is meant for exports only and the launch will be in July/August
There was no mention of pricing at any point in time by the company. Until official prices are announced all figures getting thrown about here are just estimates. If we take these figures seriously then we are only setting ourselves up for disappointment / excitement later on depending on what VFM means to each one of us.
Old 1st April 2017, 17:01   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since Trailhawk comes with a 2.4 liter engine, I don't think it will be launched in India. Regarding the engine/gearbox options, I am told that whatever is available in Chinese market will be launched in India. This points to a 7-speed automatic for India than the 9-speed automatic available in US.

By the look of things not sure if China got any diesels. From what little I have read , Jeep launched the 1.4 litre and the 2.4 litre Petrol in China. The smaller engine got the 7 speed and the larger the 9 speed. Speculations apart we should get the full spec on the 12th of April.

Also there has been no info anywhere on the RPMs in which the peak power and Torque will kick in the in the diesel option.

Will be interesting on the 12th for sure. Will they also indicate the pricing on 12th or they will hold on till launch ?
Old 1st April 2017, 17:24   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This points to a 7-speed automatic for India than the 9-speed automatic available in US.
My information points to the 9 speed auto coming to India.
Old 1st April 2017, 17:58   #185
BHPian

As I said earlier, this info is coming from a suppliers meet. India will get a 1.4 ltr Petrol and 2.0 ltr diesel with 7-speed transmission in all probability. Since Trailhawk is 2.4 ltr it will not be launched initially. I have no info on variants for Petrol/Diesel but the pricing band will be from 17-20.5 ex-showroom. It will be good if they declare all details at the media launch event
Old 1st April 2017, 18:03   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said earlier, this info is coming from a suppliers meet. India will get a 1.4 ltr Petrol and 2.0 ltr diesel with 7-speed transmission in all probability. Since Trailhawk is 2.4 ltr it will not be launched initially. I have no info on variants for Petrol/Diesel but the pricing band will be from 17-20.5 ex-showroom. It will be good if they declare all details at the media launch event
I have mentioned the engine options earlier on this thread. Its going to be the 1.4L Multiair petrol and 2L Multijet Diesel. Once again, prices or even guesetimates have not been given by FCA ever. Neither in media nor in any meet. I can tell you the 1.6L diesel with a twist in it's specs is in consideration.
Old 1st April 2017, 20:51   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I have mentioned the engine options earlier on this thread. Its going to be the 1.4L Multiair petrol and 2L Multijet Diesel. Once again, prices or even guesetimates have not been given by FCA ever. Neither in media nor in any meet. I can tell you the 1.6L diesel with a twist in it's specs is in consideration.
I think we both are trying to put out as much information as we could which can only be good for the members here, some of whom could be waiting to make car buying decisions based on Jeep Compass info as well

But your viewpoint would definitely help me test the strength of the info from my sources, especially on the price range...
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:46   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But I cannot understand Jeep Pricing in India. Internationally, Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with the likes of 4runner, which is a ladder on frame vehicle very similar to Fortuner, but a segment above due to various off road features available. So Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 should be about 15-20% more than Fortuner 4x4, not at 3x (which I believe is the case).
Totally agree with you that the Jeep pricing in India is exorbitant. However, if we look at the Middle East (as an example), Jeep Grand Cherokee competes with the likes of LC Prado, VW Toureg, Landrover LR4 etc & definitely not with a pick-up truck based Fortuner (the 2017 Fortuner does not resemble the Hilux looks though). IMHO, the Grand Cherokee is four notches above Fortuner in terms of Luxury & premium feeling and 2 notches above in terms of off-roading abilities.

Fortuner available here (UAE) in two derivatives – 2.7 L & 4.0 L (both Petrol).
2.7 L (4 cylinder – 6 Speed Auto Transmission) – AED 105,000 to AED 120,000 (part time 4x4)
4.0 L – (6 cylinder – 6 speed Auto Transmission) - AED 130,000 to AED 150,000 (part time 4x4)

Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in with 3 engine sizes (all Petrol) – 3.6 L (Laredo, Limited), 5.7 L (Laredo, Limited, Overland, Summit) and the top of the range 6.4 L SRT.

The starting price of an entry level 3.6 L Laredo is around AED 135,000 to AED 145,000.

5.7L Laredo, Limited, Overland & Summit cost around AED 160,000 to AED 225,000 where Laredo being the entry level and Summit being the expensive one.

6.4 L SRT costs around AED 280,000 to AED 300,000

So, to your point, if you compare the price of a 4.0 L Fortuner with that of a 3.6 L or 5.7 L Laredo, yes, it is around 15% - 20% expensive than Fortuner. However, if you look at a full option 5.7 L (Summit) or 6.4 L (SRT), it is 50% - 200% expensive vs a 4.0 L Fortuner and they are not in the same league.

Quote:
Price wise, Q3,Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are at Santa Fe range in the west (a notch below Disco).
I guess as far as the Middle East is concerned, Santafe costs around AED 85,000 to AED 125,000 here & it is a competitor for (in my opinion) Toyota RAV-4, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape, Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Tucson, Mazda CX-5, & Honda CRV etc (definitely not a Jeep Grand Cherokee competitor).
Santafe is a Compact SUV and Grand Cherokee is a Premium Midsize SUV.

Quote:
From a value point of view, we cannot say that Compass should cost 20,000$ in India too, but if we go with relative pricing, it should be about 20% less than similarly equipped Santa Fe.
Just to provide readers the Middle East perspective, Jeep Compass costs here around AED 95,000 to AED 115,000 and it is on par with Santa Fe in terms of pricing (not 20% less).
cbatrody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:47   #189
Senior - BHPian

Carwale.com revises its projected Jeep Compass prices from 15-20 lakhs to 23-27 lakhs! Not that I think their predictions are bang on but sort of indicates that the Compass is no Creta Rival and sure to stack up against the Tuscon.

And with that goes any slightest hope of me owning one!
Old 4th April 2017, 11:46   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Carwale.com revises its projected Jeep Compass prices from 15-20 lakhs to 23-27 lakhs! Not that I think their predictions are bang on but sort of indicates that the Compass is no Creta Rival and sure to stack up against the Tuscon.

And with that goes any slightest hope of me owning one!
Does that make the ON road price for the top version at more than 30L? Let me join you in the hopeless box then.
DJ
Old 6th April 2017, 00:42   #191
BHPian

2017 Jeep Compass Selec-Terrain - AWD system. Looks like the 'Rock' mode is only available in Trailhawk model.

LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 03:03   #192
Team-BHP Support

I don't understand why people are balking at a 30 lakh + on road pricing for a top of line Jeep Compass. I know this discussion is premature since they haven't spilled out exact variant details yet but just for perspective, what is considered an under-equipped Tucson (by general Hyundai well equipped standards); a mediocre quality finish Honda CRV etc are all retailing at 30+ for their top versions.

Why would we expect the Jeep Compass to retail at sub 30 then on road??
Old 6th April 2017, 03:51   #193
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I don't understand why people are balking at a 30 lakh + on road pricing for a top of line Jeep Compass. I know this discussion is premature since they haven't spilled out exact variant details yet but just for perspective, what is considered an under-equipped Tucson (by general Hyundai well equipped standards); a mediocre quality finish Honda CRV etc are all retailing at 30+ for their top versions.

Why would we expect the Jeep Compass to retail at sub 30 then on road??
Simply because none of the above, the Jeep Compass included, ought to be priced this way in India, going by their pricing in most International markets!

I was at a Honda Showroom the other day. Was pretty shocked at them charging nearly 16 lacs on road for the 2017 City (fully loaded). Similarly, the pricing of the BRV at almost 17 lacs on road, is ridiculous.

The Innova, Fortuner and Endeavour too as priced way too high for what they give the consumer.

And this seems to be a phenomenon only here in India (and probably Singapore) where these vehicles' prices are so truly exorbitant compared to what they offer.

However it doesn't automatically follow that any car manufacturer entering India should adopt a similar exorbitant pricing strategy especially if the car is 100% Made in India.

It really feels (to me) that a la Rip Van Winkle, I went to sleep (on the car pricing aspect in India) and when I woke up, the world seems to have passed me by completely!

Not a nice feeling at all, I can tell you!

So the net result is that some people (me included) will keep their existing cars and spend money only on upkeep and maintenance to ensure the said car(s) are in top shape!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th April 2017 at 04:16.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 06:01   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Simply because none of the above, the Jeep Compass included, ought to be priced this way in India, going by their pricing in most International markets!
I completely understand this point and the rest of your post EXACTLY reflects my feelings. However, while they "ought not" to be priced this way, that pricing is nevertheless the unfortunate reality. Also, Jeep's past conduct has shown (IMO) overpricing even by our market trend standards so if at all I expect competitive pricing from brand Jeep, I expect it to be in alignment with competitors and not be significantly undercutting them. Again, my point is the pricing does not "surprise" me - that is not to say I agree with this obscene market trend in general.

From what I've read, Jeep seems to be lining up a product that is clearly on par if not superior to the offerings like Tucson and CR-V (as immediate comparables). I see absolutely no reason why Jeep's pricing will be at a dramatic discount to these cars.

Slight digression below but the rest of your post rung too close to my recent thinking as well on current car price trends to be able to resist responding.

Quote:
I was at a Honda Showroom the other day. Was pretty shocked at them charging nearly 16 lacs on road for the 2017 City (fully loaded). Similarly, the pricing of the BRV at almost 17 lacs on road, is ridiculous.
Funny you should say that. We ourselves recently considered selling our 2009 Civic and 2009 City A/Ts both and getting a replacement 2nd hand City A/T (< 2 years). I was surprised at seeing prices quoted between 10-12 lakh for these cars. On checking new on road pricing for the City to backward calculate, I was SHOCKED to see top of line variants retailing at 16L+ on road Mumbai. In 2009, I paid 15 lakh on road for my Civic!! A car that had superior finish even compared to today's Honda City and one on one remains superior in almost every respect even today.

The price escalation over the corresponding period is simply unjustified. In fact even seeing prices of cars like Baleno, Jazz, and Ignis, I was shocked to see them all sport sticker prices in the 8.5 - 11 range for top of line variants.

Quote:
However it doesn't automatically follow that any car manufacturer entering India should adopt a similar exorbitant pricing strategy especially if the car is 100% Made in India.
Like I said, given Jeep's prior approach to pricing, I would NOT take this as a default expectation (I know you mention 100% made in India but nevertheless). I feel even by CBU standards (current Jeep offerings are CBU right? not sure), their current line up is very overpriced. So please do expect 30+ pricing from Jeep for the Compass.

Off hand, the few brands that seem to offer better value (relative to an overpriced market) are Ford for some products (Figo, Aspire, Ecosport and depending on which month of the year, the Endy) and perhaps the Superb (not every product from Skoda - just the Superb); Ciaz, Elantra etc. The expectation is therefore a bit utopian.

Quote:
So the net result is that some people (me included) will keep their existing cars and spend money only on upkeep and maintenance to ensure the said car(s) are in top shape!
Bang on!! My original plan was to sell both Hondas and get a nice recent 2nd hand Honda City A/T.

Now, with the current pricing scenario, I am considering ONLY selling the Civic and simply flogging my existing 96,000 kms run City till its legs hold up. Its well built enough to give me many more years and tens of thousands of kms with absolute ease - aging absolutely beautifully.

My new mantra on car ownership for those who are value oriented:

1. Buy ANY car 2nd hand only regardless of segment. (<2 years & 30,000 kms)
2. Keep them with a time horizon of 8 - 10 years;
3. For reasons 1. and 2. above, buy cars that are easy and predictable to maintain for the kind of time horizon mentioned above.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 07:51   #195
BHPian

Quote:
It really feels (to me) that a la Rip Van Winkle, I went to sleep (on the car pricing aspect in India) and when I woke up, the world seems to have passed me by completely!
Exactly my feeling. Its been seven years since I last bought a car and now when I am contemplating a change, I am shocked by the prices all around. I simply cannot look at any D segment options that I had always aspired. The top end cars are in the range of 25L+ when they used to be in the range of 18-20L. Ditto with the Tucsons of today.

I would have assumed that as a market matures, goods become cheaper as you have more people who have the ability to buy. Even if we factor in inflation, shouldn't the economies of scale bring down or at least keep prices at the same level. In all mature markets, car prices have remained the same more or less over the last decade, isn't it?

From that pespective, Jeep would seem to break the trend if we were to go by the rumours of the 17-20.5L price range. I would be happy if it happens but will hold my horses till we get confirmation.
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed