Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 06:22   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

According to information available on the internet the Compass is priced pretty attractively in places like Australia. According to the website - 27000 to 32000 dollars. Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Indian prices were somewhat in line?
If that were to happen I'm positive that there would be hordes of Bhpians queuing up at the dealership gates (including yours truly).

http://www.jeep.com.au/compass

Last edited by wilful : 10th April 2017 at 06:31. Reason: Matter added
Old 10th April 2017, 07:13   #212
BHPian

I'm not sure, why there is so much speculation on the prices. IMHO, the JEEP dealers pretty much have accurate information on prices as well as spec. It's gonna be 18 lacs to 28 lacs ex showroom. The dealer in Kochi had logged in 63 bookings by end of last month. Expected delivery in August
Old 10th April 2017, 07:29   #213
Senior - BHPian

If the price of the Grand Cherokee is any indication, I think the Compass will be no different: Sky High Pricing: (for the Jeep brand: whatever be the localisation level), almost non existent dealer, after sales & spares and FIAT Quality of service! Bet it won't be the only vehicle the owner would have: Strictly a 'Life Style' product. I feel the Kaptur/Kicks brigade will be more desirable and VFM than the Jeep. The difference would be the ownership experience.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th April 2017 at 07:41.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 07:42   #214
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I'm not sure, why there is so much speculation on the prices. IMHO, the JEEP dealers pretty much have accurate information on prices as well as spec. It's gonna be 18 lacs to 28 lacs ex showroom. The dealer in Kochi had logged in 63 bookings by end of last month. Expected delivery in August

Assuming 28 lacs ex showroom for the Trailhawk 4x4 top spec, in Bangalore we are then talking 34 lacs on road, give or take.

This is expensive but going by the prices of the Yeti, Endy, Fortuner, Tucson, CRV and the likes, its seems worthwhile.
This Compass looks like it will certainly be better than the Q3 and X1 and those 'lifestyle' vehicles in terms of both functionality and features.
Am waiting and watching!
Military Green?
Am keen to see that for sure!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 09:23   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Assuming 28 lacs ex showroom for the Trailhawk 4x4 top spec, in Bangalore we are then talking 34 lacs on road, give or take.

This is expensive but going by the prices of the Yeti, Endy, Fortuner, Tucson, CRV and the likes, its seems worthwhile.
This Compass looks like it will certainly be better than the Q3 and X1 and those 'lifestyle' vehicles in terms of both functionality and features.
Am waiting and watching!
Military Green?
Am keen to see that for sure!
Interesting choice. Will you plan to keep your Yeti or replace it with the trail hawk? 30 to 35 lacs for the top end on road, seems a decent price to pay considering its abilities. However military green IMO is not allowed for civilian vehicles. Even the bullet military dispatch color is not available here.
Old 10th April 2017, 09:56   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
If the price of the Grand Cherokee is any indication, I think the Compass will be no different: Sky High Pricing: (for the Jeep brand: whatever be the localisation level), almost non existent dealer, after sales & spares and FIAT Quality of service! Bet it won't be the only vehicle the owner would have: Strictly a 'Life Style' product. I feel the Kaptur/Kicks brigade will be more desirable and VFM than the Jeep. The difference would be the ownership experience.
As mentioned many times in this thread itself, localization is going to ensure the GC pricing is not the way the pricing of Compass would be.

Personally, I believe Kaptur would be a different category of product & wouldn't compete with the Compass.
rohansachar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 10:06   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Interesting choice. Will you plan to keep your Yeti or replace it with the trail hawk? 30 to 35 lacs for the top end on road, seems a decent price to pay considering its abilities. However military green IMO is not allowed for civilian vehicles. Even the bullet military dispatch color is not available here.

I remember XUV had launched with a militaryish green. Was this the reason that particular green is unavailable now ?
Old 10th April 2017, 11:00   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
As mentioned many times in this thread itself, localization is going to ensure the GC pricing is not the way the pricing of Compass would be.
Exactly, Grand Cherokee (and Wrangler) are CBU's and hence attracted exorbitant import duties shooting the price to over Rs. 10 Million (for GC).

Compass will most certainly not face the same ordeal and can (should?!? will?!?) be launched at a killer price; something like 18-24 ex-showroom, I reckon (hope?!? pray?!?).
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:24   #219
BHPian

I am quite bullish about the Compass pricing. If you see the interview of the Fiat India CEO recently, he clearly mentioned that they are looking to price the Compass aggressively to have good volumes. I don't think FIAT is looking for anything less than 700 - 1000 units a month for this, and for that they need to price it lower than Tucson (which does 150 units a month). The main reason for Hyundai pricing the Tucson absurdly was that they didn't want to hurt the sales of their high selling Creta. FIAT doesn't have that product right now. Hence the Compass. Also, Tuscon is a CKD as compared to a Compass which shall have a high level of localization.

I do think and hope that the initial media reports of 16 lac as introductory price may be correct. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:51   #220
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
According to information available on the internet the Compass is priced pretty attractively in places like Australia. According to the website - 27000 to 32000 dollars. Wouldn't it be fantastic if the Indian prices were somewhat in line?
If that were to happen I'm positive that there would be hordes of Bhpians queuing up at the dealership gates (including yours truly).

The Australian prices are almost in the S-cross australia range. However, I could find only the petrol options there. Lets see the premium they put in for India. I feel they will have a block buster opening if they price it at 16 lacs ex-showroom with the first casuality being Creta.

However, given then trend that most manufacturers just convert the $XX thousand to INR XX lacs, I am expecting a 20 lacs pricing.

Last edited by m8002? : 10th April 2017 at 15:53. Reason: put in wrong info on steering.
Old 10th April 2017, 15:54   #221
BHPian

Quote:

You may be looking at the old model compass in AU site. They are yet to launch the new compass in Australia.

http://www.jeep.com.au/csuv
Old 10th April 2017, 16:47   #222
BHPian

Quote:

Comparison of prices offered overseas may be misleading as the duty structure and product cost differ a lot. Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:58   #223
BHPian

Aankhe kholo bhai..

All the excitement that Compass is creating is quite real. Those who start looking for sticker prices to decide what they want to buy are basically from utilitarian-mindset, like me. But the real enthusiast would like to marry a beauty and glamour like Hollywood actor even after paying the asking price.

And remain clear, without doubt Jeep is a luxury brand, hence it would compete with BMW and likes of Audis. Others pls focus on our home grown paisa-wasool SUVs like XUV 500 and Hexa, which are again very competitive & reliable machines and that with their service centres at all nook and corners!
Old 10th April 2017, 17:37   #224
BHPian

I'm in the market for a soft roader type SUV and this is yet another upcoming option for me to consider.

My budget is at 35L and I've already checked out the Audi Q3 and BMW X1 but am eagerly awaiting the VW Tiguan....

I've owned and thoroughly enjoyed a Passat since 2011 (done 64K hassle free mileage thus far) and have become a big fan of the German build quality and especially the 6 Speed DSG Auto on the Passat.

Hope both the Tiguan and Compass launch at the same time so that I can check em both out....Good time to be in the market for such SUV's i guess....
driven646 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 18:35   #225
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Right now dear man, Im holding my 6 year old Yeti.

I was merely comparing the price of the new Yeti to the speculative price of the Compass and am venturing that the Compass is likely to be a better and more capable package than the new gen Yeti is, given the speculative price parity between both, like for like.

However, even saying the above, I cannot really abide the price increase on the new gen Yeti, of more than Rs 10 lacs over the last 6 years that I have owned mine, which I bought brand new for Rs 19.5 lacs on road!

And yes, since I like fully loaded, highly functional, safety packed, 4x4 equipped, compact SUV's, I will be able to maybe consider the Compass, if at all I think of upgrading, mostly because of its Jeep pedigree. This kind of upgrade at this cost might be considered by me, only because of todays realities in pricing, which I really dont like at all, but shall probably be forced to live with, if at all I do upgrade.

I am not the sort of chap who will buy the Q3, X1, Fortuner, Endeavour, new Yeti, Tiguan, Kodiaq and the like. None of these conform truly to my type of preferred vehicle.

The only exceptions that I may make are in favour of the Merc GLA (AWD), Volvo XC60/90 (AWD), Range Rover Evoque, New Discovery, Jeep Wrangler etc.

However, these are pipe dreams for a person like me right now, because I am just NOT in the financial bracket which can willingly afford the above. These just do not represent sufficient value to me, in their current states of pricing in India.

Thats why I shall await the Compass launch, test drive it, wait for the International launches in UK and Australia, do a spec to spec, trim to trim, price to price comparo, the same steps essentially that I followed when deciding on the Yeti, 6 years ago, and then only after being fully convinced and satisfied in all respects, will I even make any decision.

Right now I m just a-hangin' on to my hardly used, 6 year old Yeti as my daily driver and my Gypsy for the adventurous urges that overcome me from time to time!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed