Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 16:19   #241
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Fair enough. But the general opinion is that its way overpriced and it shows in the sales numbers. It sells in the 100s.
The question then becomes where does FIAT want to position it and what numbers they expect it to sell.
Overpriced is a term that has been used (in this forum) for all three vehicles on that list. Perhaps not the S-Cross with 1.3L engine. So, doesn't really make for a good reference to begin with. Of course, many including myself, are struggling to cope with pricing of the recent vehicles. So, ultimately it all becomes subjective.
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 18:47   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I mean, why would anyone pay 25-30 lacs for something that is the size of Duster.
I guess Compass doesn’t compete with Duster in most of the international markets. It competes with Hyundai Tucson, Subaru Forester, Honda CRV, Ford Focus and Toyota RAV4 etc. Compared to Duster, Compass is a superior product with robust build quality, better interior, more power and more torque & essentially a product that has got few more tick marks on the spec sheet.

Expecting Compass to be priced at Duster’s range is like expecting BMW X3 or X5 to be priced similar to SsangYong Rexton because their dimensions (Length, Breadth & Height) match.

If they actually price it at 15-16 Lakhs on road, I guess it would be a totally new avatar of the Compass & I suspect it would match the build quality that of the Compass sold in the international market, or will have the bells & whistles of its international counterpart.

Just to give you the Middle East (UAE) perspective in terms of how these 3 cars are priced:

2017 Renault Duster – AED 47,000 (4x2) to AED 61,000 (4x4)

2017 Hyundai Tucson – AED 70,000 (2.0L FWD) to AED 90,000 (2.4L 4WD)

2017 Jeep Compass – AED 99,000 to AED 115,000 (2.4L 4WD)
cbatrody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:05   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Just to give you the Middle East (UAE) perspective in terms of how these 3 cars are priced:

2017 Renault Duster – AED 47,000 (4x2) to AED 61,000 (4x4)

2017 Hyundai Tucson – AED 70,000 (2.0L FWD) to AED 90,000 (2.4L 4WD)

I think, there is not too much to read into these figures as well considering the high localization percentage of Compass here. With localization there is a concious effort to keep the costs down as much as possible so an aggressive pricing cannot be brushed off.

Indeed, I am not saying it would be Duster competitor but 18-24L ex-showroom would be my best guess. Which might ensure a good launch pad for this India-made-Jeep.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:19   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Here comes the official invitation, with another image of the final product:

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th April 2017 at 19:21.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:36   #245
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Is this 2017 Compass already displayed on Sheikh Zayed at the Al Futtaim Motors Jeep Showroom?
Also, what engine is this 2.4L 4WD?
And is it the TrailHawk version?

115000 AED is a good price! 18 Lacs-ish!
Wow!

Going by this and the general comparo of UAE prices to India, it is my surmise that this Compass in similar spec as the one which costs 115,000 AED, will come in at about 32 ish lacs on road in India (BLR) - there is really no other way for them that I can see.
Despite its Made in India tag, the taxes and duties on this vehicle, will make sure we pay almost double for it here as compared to UAE.

I hope Im proven wrong though!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:59   #246
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like different countries have different pricing because of the.tax structure. In US, its compared with Tucson and Crv alright, but priced lower than both. Almost 10% lower than tucson. Hope runs eternal!! ..:-)

Any idea if the Tucson is localised extensively? Or just assembled here? All these factors could play the role in pricing.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:45   #247
Senior - BHPian

Some details of Jeep Compass Revealed.
  • 2 Engine Options - (1.4L Multi Air Petrol & 2.0L Diesel)
  • Diesel will be in 170 BHP Guise
  • Diesel will be available in 4x2 & 4x4
  • Petrol to have 6 Speed Manual & 7 Speed Dual Clutch Gearbox.
  • Diesel Initially to get 6 Speed Manual Only
  • India will be the export hub for RHD Compass

Skipping Diesel AT at launch will hurt them badly. Even if it's launched later, people won't recognize it as much when it's available from start.
CarguyNish is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:18   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [*
Diesel Initially to get 6 Speed Manual Only [/list].

Skipping Diesel AT at launch will hurt them badly. Even if it's launched later, people won't recognize it as much when it's available from start.
Diesel AT may be available with 9 speed only. Could be the reason for not launching now.

http://www.jeep.com.br/monte-seu-carro/compass.html
Old 12th April 2017, 06:25   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
[list][*]2 Engine Options - (1.4L Multi Air Petrol & 2.0L Diesel)[*]Diesel will be available in 4x2 & 4x4[*]Petrol to have 6 Speed Manual & 7 Speed Dual Clutch Gearbox.

So no 4x4 for petrol?
And yes skipping diesel AT at launch may not be a good move.
Old 12th April 2017, 08:01   #250
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:

=========

Frustratii. The same Creta launch repeated. Petrol gets AT and no 4*4, diesel gets 4*4 and no AT.

If Creta had launched the top spec diesel in AT I would have bought it at launch. I was looking at Jeep diesel AT in top spec and now I guess will have to wait. I have been waiting a year and a half and now my Punto replacement has to wait longer.
If this is the case which we will know in a couple of hours , I will really be frustrated.

What's the source of these details ?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th April 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 12th April 2017, 10:15   #251
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
  • 2 Engine Options - (1.4L Multi Air Petrol & 2.0L Diesel)
  • Diesel will be in 170 BHP Guise
  • Diesel will be available in 4x2 & 4x4
  • Petrol to have 6 Speed Manual & 7 Speed Dual Clutch Gearbox.
  • Diesel Initially to get 6 Speed Manual Only
  • India will be the export hub for RHD Compass

While I appreciate the information here, what IS the source of these details and how sure are they?

Jeep should definitely focus on the Petrol Market now that price parity is being reached between Petrol and Diesel. And both the Petrol and Diesel vehicles, should definitely come with the 4x4 and AT options for sure.

Why are the silly fellows just assuming that Petrol buyers won't want 4x4 but will want AT and exactly the opposite about the Diesel buyers? I wonder which consultant or management idiot decided this. Possibly some bean counting blunderbuss using some half baked algorithm or excel or predictive modelling tool. Or he might have been high on caffeine and tobacco or something more, when he did the projections. Idiot!

Fact is, that a person who wants to buy a Jeep, is generally speaking, quite an evolved sort of chap.

And while Jeep per se, absolutely must have a Mass offering which appeals to the widest spectrum of consumers, equally, they must look after those niche consumers who exist out there, because the niche consumers are the ones who will take their overall consumer profile UP!

These are the guys who are considered as "thought leaders" in the old style marketing parlance.

It has to be a good balance of both.

One can classify this kind of thing on a simple X and Y Axis where X Axis = Key Value Driver and Y Axis = Key Image Driver with the lower scorers on value/ image on the bottom left hand side and the higher scorers on value/ image on the top right hand side. (As exemplified in the attachment PDF.)

And basis all this classification etc, the BEST type of Customers that Jeep can aspire to have, are those who sit on the extreme upper right hand side because they voluntarily contribute lots to the brand, in terms of image as well as value + loyalty, word of mouth publicity, Brand Ambassadorship etc. These are the Customers that need to be retained by the Brand at ANY cost whatsoever, because if the Brand loses these, then they've lost their hardest CORE.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep(R) .pdf (280.5 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th April 2017 at 10:24.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:38   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
What's the source of these details ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
While I appreciate the information here, what IS the source of these details and how sure are they?.
Details were shared by Whatcar Editor "Shapur Kotwal" on Twitter.

They seem to be accurate. We'll know it later today.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:58   #253
BHPian

Launch event is live on the Jeep Compass Facebook page,

https://www.facebook.com/JeepIndia/
Old 12th April 2017, 11:25   #254
BANNED

Whoever expect the price of Compass in the 15L range, be ready for a real shock to see a 100% higher price.

The model from Jeep that will come in the 15L range may be the K8 (image source: Allpar)
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-k8.jpg  

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-k81.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th April 2017 at 11:32.
Old 12th April 2017, 11:27   #255
Team-BHP Support

Really foolish if they don't launch a 25 - 30 lakh product in AT guise. With all its 4x4 capabilities, the primary use of these vehicles in India is basically urban mobility for most part.

For a premium SUV offering two variant options are a must:
4x4 MT for the purist; and
AT Diesel for most target customers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks