Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 12:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2016 at 12:37.
Aditya is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 12:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2016 at 12:53.
Aditya is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 12:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: October 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 12:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 12:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Old 9th November 2016, 13:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great analysis as usual.
It seems that the recent facelifts (Brio/Amaze) arent really helping Honda at all. Just 535 units of a "newly" launched Japanese hatchback, means Honda has just killed it off with their pricing strategy.
sajo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 13:37   #7
BHPian

A quick look tells me

1. Maruti doing it again, but Alto sales have come down quite a bit from 27k to ~19k. That means spike in Alto was due to production issues in previous months which was handled by last month spike. Baleno, Brezza, Swift, Dzire, WagonR getting steady numbers. Celerio sales have spiked quite a bit, which is astonishing.

2. Hyundai also as usual, Creta, Elite i20, i10 Grand bringing in excellent numbers. Elantra sales are steady 300 which is almost as much Altis is bringing in for Toyota. Great!

3. Good news for Tata Motors. Excellent sales of Tiago, crosses 5000 mark and reaches upto 6000+ thanks to Diwali. Hope Hexa does atleast 1000+ sales every month Jan onwards. This is great news for Tata motors.

4. Honda City(6300+) and Amaze(~4000) doing well. Jazz also getting in good 3000+ but personally I feel if priced well, this car can do wonders for Honda. BRV fizzling already. Very sad for Brio, this is bad news for Honda's future.

5. Mahindra getting astonishing numbers for Bolero (8300+). XUV, TUV, Scorpio showing healthy sales as well.

6. Ford Ecosport dwindling now, down to less than 4000 in spite for festive season is a sign of worry for Ford. Aspire also losing it after a month of excellent sales. Down from 2600+ to mere 1100+. I guess Figo increase can be a sliver lining. Lets see if it is sustainable.

7. Kwid (9800+) holding it together for Renault with decent sales for Duster. But time has come for either facelifts or new launch for Renault now.

8. Toyota is steady, Innova sales down marginally. Etios shows marginal increase. Guess the platinum facelift was not as well received particularly by private buyers. But still too early for Platinum Etios before we give a judgement.

9. Volkswagen Ameo shows healthy increase from 1500 to 3200+ This is the effect of launch of Diesel version I think DSG was a hit! (This is based on what the sales representative told me @Thirty Six Toyota Faridabad, when I did a test drive last month). But it has eaten into Polo sales. Hardly 1200 polo sold last month.

Overall excellent month for Indian Automobile Sector.

Last edited by SDP : 9th November 2016 at 14:10. Reason: minor typos
Muski is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:06   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the detailed numbers. Adding my observations.

Segment Level
  • Entry Segment: No major surprises at the entry level. Alto continues to lead. Eon maintains its regular numbers. Kwid is maintaining the 10K numbers. The AMT is creating a buzz with the Rotatory dial for gear shift gimmick. Should push up sales some more. Nothing seems to be helping the Nano. The Kwid AMT may impact it further. Surprising to see Redi-Go maintaining a 3K+ number. Cannot see what is driving that.

• Entry Premium Hatch Segment: Tiago seems to be the big hit that Tata was waiting for. 6K units is very commendable. Selling more than the Eon is a good sign. Otherwise, the old regulars, Grand i10, Swift, Wagon R continue to be the favorites. Celerio seems to be the default choice for those looking for an AT at this price range. KUV100 which started off very well has fallen to 2k+ units. Considering the segment, can be considered on the way to be called a very average seller.

• Premium Hatch Segment: Elite i20 and Baleno continue to rule with 5 digit numbers. Jazz, Figo and Polo far behind. Honda will be disappointed with the Jazz numbers. It was meant to give strong competition to the big 2. Polo seems to be getting impacted by the Ameo. Consistent sales of 2500-3000 units has reduced to 1000+.

• Compact Sedan Segment: Dzire continues to rule and Xcent is in 2nd place as it always has been.3rd place is the Amaze. Again mostly expected. Ameo crosses 3000 units which has helped VW show growth, but it is clear that it is at the expense of the Polo. 3000+ units for the Zest also after a long time. Aspire seems to have lost the battle in spite of a number of USP"s. Surprising that a car like the Aspire is the last in segment.

• Sedan Segment: Ciaz and City continue to rule the C Segment and the City is probably the sole bright spot for Honda as it has always been. Verna, Vento and Rapid continue to round up the top 5. Will be interested to see Rapid numbers with the facelift and restart of the Diesel Manual Sales. Will not be surprised to see the Rapid in 3rd spot soon.

• Premium Sedan Segment: After a long time, the Corolla is seeing strong competition from the new Elantra. Almost neck and neck-337 vs 334. Octavia not far behind with 246. Great numbers from the Superb also with 246. Not seen such an even spread in the premium sedan space for some time. Superb seems to have impacted the Camry also.

• Compact/Entry SUV's: Seems to have settled down now into predictable patterns. Brezza settles at 10K units, Creta in the 8-9K range. Ecosport continues its 4K numbers. TUV is at 3K units. A small increase for the Duster. Biggest casualty seems to be the BRV. ~1000 units does not seem to be what Honda had in mind. Honda seems unable to bring out a blockbuster that matches the City. S Cross maintains its 2K numbers.

• SUV's: Mahindra's XUV and Scorpio continue their usual numbers. Endevour expected to see stiff competition from the new Fortuner. Ford seems to be content selling 400-500 units a month. Crysta continues to show good numbers. Some niggles reported, but don't think that will impact the sales in anyway. A small surprising spurt for the Enjoy.

Manufacturers
  • At the Manufacturer Level Maruti continues to leave everyone else far behind. New products (Baleno, Brezza, Ciaz) becoming blockbusters and segment leaders. Older products (Swift, Wagon R) continuing to bring in big numbers. Even older products (Omni) also doing well. Not a misstep. Still waiting for Ignis and the Baleno Boosterjet. Maybe a little concern about the YoY drop for the Alto, Dzire, Swift.

• Hyundai Almost touches 50K units for the first time (I read somewhere else that they had crossed 50K). Commendable performance. As like Maruti, all products doing as expected. Good response to the Elantra also. Not sure of their future portfolio though, no big launches lined up.

• Mahindra will be worried. New products like the TUV and KUV are doing ok, but seem to be slipping. XUV is going to be challenged by the Hexa. Still a lot of reliance on the Bolero and Scorpio.

• Toyota should be on their toes.The new Fortuner will definitely ensure that it dominates the sales in the segment which is a plus. The niggles reported in the Crysta should be a worry as it is not expected from a Toyota, but looks like they have a handle on it. Corolla is going to be challenged by the Elantra. Nothing worthy happening in the mass segments and nothing expected.

• Tiago continues to beTata's biggest seller and some of it seems to be rubbing off on the Zest. There is an unprecedented anticipation for the Hexa and from all reports looks to be an excellent product. Interesting times ahead.

• Renault continues to prosper with the Kwid continuing to do well and the AMT is a welcome addition. Duster doing ok numbers, but it is clear that they are a one product company as of now.

• Honda should be worried. City is doing well but now consistently in 2nd place (Edit: Misread the numbers. City takes first place by a slender margin this month, but still over the last few months Ciaz has been tops pretty regularly which is not something common for the City). Neither the Jazz or the BRV are able to challenge the segment leaders. Amaze, although doing well, not able to challenge the Xcent Brio and Mobilio continue to languish. A crazily priced Accord seems to be Dead on Arrival.

• Ford's seems to resigned to their fate. After a brief spurt, the Figo and Aspire settle again to below par numbers. The Endevour will get hit by the new Fortuner. Ironically, their oldest product-The Ecosport, doing the best. I see 2 Fiesta's in the numbers. Wonder where these came from.

• Volkswagen Ameo seems to be doing reasonably well. But clearly impacting the Polo. Surprising that there is no news of a Vento face lift with the new engine. With both the Ameo and the Rapid upgraded, it is going to impact the Vento. GTI has come in with an atrocious price. Overall crossing 5K units which I think they have not done for some time now.

• Datsun Redi-Go seems to be doing surprisingly well. Nothing much else to cheer about.

• Chevrolet A surprising spurt for the Enjoy. Nothing else of significance. Don't see any further info about the compact sedan essentia.

• Skoda: Rapid Face lift just launched. Which means a restart of the Manual Diesel sales. With no news about when Vento will get this upgrade, expect to see a spurt in Rapid sales.. Octavia and Superb doing reasonably well. Some talk and commitment towards improving after sales and service.

• Fiat: Maintaining Status Quo. Which at least for Fiat is not good at all.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th November 2016 at 14:30.
Rajeevraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:08   #9
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant report guys !

Some quick observations:

1. Mahindra Bolero sees a significant jump this month thanks to the sub-4m Bolero.

2. Tata Tiago sales at 6000+ is a major highlight, steers TML to the 4th spot this month.

3. Ford Aspire, Ford Figo, Ford Ecosport all three are excellent cars in their segments and with recent price revisions, they are all wonderful VFM packages. But still their sales have not gone up !

4. Nissan still sells the Teana? I thought it was discontinued long back.

5. XUV5OO still enjoying the top spot in the segment. It would be interesting to see if all the noise before Hexa's launch can affect the XUV's sales in any way !

6. Toyota Landcruiser LC200 has been outselling the Prado all these months. I somehow never noticed this in the sales figures. Recently I realised that I have been seeing plenty of LC200's around, no Prado's at all.

7. Honda City and Maruti Ciaz are having a neck-to-neck battle. The Ciaz had higher sales in the last 3 months, but the City manages to come out on top this month. The difference is very marginal though.
//M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 14:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Sedan Segment: Ciaz continues to rule and City is in 2nd spot.Both continue to rule the C Segment and is a probably the sole bright spot for Honda as it has always been. Verna, Vento and Rapid continue to round up the top 5. Will be interested to see Rapid numbers with the facelift and restart of the Diesel Manual Sales. Will not be surprised to see the Rapid in 3rd spot soon.

[*] Honda should be worried. City is doing well but now consistently in 2nd place.

[*]Volkswagen Ameo seems to be doing reasonably well. But clearly impacting the Polo.
Good analysis but you missed out the C segment leader

Honda's City is the C segment leader beating Maruti's Ciaz by a slender margin.

Ameo's numbers could be the dispatches of the TDI's to dealers. Need to see for consolidated numbers over the next few months.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Some observations:

Fiat - Same old story. Nothing to cheer about. Let us see whether addition of a showroom in Mumbai improves their fortunes over the next few months.

Sales flat at Ford!

Honda: Amaze sees a jump in sales. Brio remains a dud, facelift not withstanding. BRV shows a sharp decline. After a few months of losing to Ciaz, City tops the segment with a wafer thin lead over Ciaz. Jazz stays steady arouns 3K mark while Mobilio too remains a non performer.

Hyundai: Their star performers Creta, i20, Grand i10 continue to do very well in the market. Xcent puts up a respectable 5K despatches.

Mahindra: Bolero gains a significant percentage month on month. Scorpio crosses 5000 mark for the first time in a few months. No significant movement in the others.

Maruti: A dramatic 10K fall for the Alto! Dzire, Baleno, Brezza, Swift, WagonR continue their stellar performance again in October. Celerio sees an unexpected 75% increase month on month! Just 5 units of Ritz. Is it time to say goodbye to this car? S-cross stays steady at 2.1K. Ciaz loses the crown to City by a very thin margin.

Renault: Duster sees 87% month on month increase! Slight decline in Kwid numbers, however nothing worrying.

Tata: Indica/Vista, Indigo/Manza, Nano, Safari don't see any major variation. Tiago remains their star performer. Good to see the despatches crossing 6.1K. Would help trim down the waiting period. Zest springs a surprise, crossing 3K after a long time!

Not much activity in Toyota's numbers.

Volkswagen is clearly giving priority to Ameo's production. 3.2K is a respectable figure for Ameo.
AkMar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 15:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Doesn't make for good reading when 3 of your top-selling bestsellers register negative growth percentages, that too in the peaked festival season month. Maruti-Suzuki desperately needs to get that Gujarat plant up and moving very quickly - it's quite apparent that capacity crunches has hit their numbers badly this October.

Historic month for Hyundai, as they go past 50,000 units. The Grand i10 & the i20 twins are building up on their momentum, and Creta's flag is still waving quite strongly. The Grand i10 has almost equaled the Maruti Swift's numbers - mind-boggling yet true. Fantastic achievement.

Tata's surprise package, the Tiago, has gone past 6,000 units in a month for the first time in it's sales career. Extremely commendable feat - considering the competition it's up against in that segment. Excellent for Tata, and will definitely give a huge boost to the Hexa's chances in the future.

A win by a difference of mere 18 units should not bring cheers to the Honda camp - the fact that the Ciaz and the City are going neck and neck, in a segment which has been comprehensively dominated by the Honda sedan, is a big cause of worry. Maybe the soon-to-be-launched facelift will bring a boost in sales.

Also of note, probably for the first time ever, the top 8 monthly bestsellers have registered dealer dispatches of over 10,000 units. Very encouraging and positive indication for the PV industry.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th November 2016 at 15:33.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Shocked at Aspire's sales. They shipped just 1162 units in the festive months, yet expect customers to wait for 2-4 months for the car citing 'huge demand'. If they keep this on, I won't be surprised if Aspire's sales go below 500.

Last edited by theredliner : 9th November 2016 at 15:45.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 17:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Chevrolet A surprising spurt for the Enjoy. Nothing else of significance.[/list]
They dropped prices of Enjoy last month by almost 1.5 to 1.8 lacs. That could be the only reason
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 18:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra: A great month for them. Bolero back to previous numbers. Biggest surprise, Rexton found 46 new homes

Toyota: Innova Crysta seems to be settling around 6k-7k per month. I expected them to better previous months in the festive season.

Honda: A good festive season except for BRV which seems to be heading the Molilio way and I will be interested in this car once big discounts are offered on it. Will keep this car under my watch. New Brio DoA and City is back.

Maruti: Solid as always but why the did Alto sales slide and Celerio increase? Makes no sense to me. Sad to see the Ritz sail away into oblivion.

Hyundai: Excellent month for them. Creta keeps astonishing me.

Renault: Duster did well and Kwid maintains its consistent run.

Ford: They are seeing a see-saw kind of change every month. I think they should realize that they need proper Ford cars rather than cheap made to a cost cars to succeed. Endeavour sees a Fortuner squeeze already.

GM: Surprised at Beat and Enjoy numbers.

VW: Ameo makes VW numbers look good with its brilliant diesel motor and equipment.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks