Team-BHP - Volvo mulling over bringing hybrid range to India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Volvo mulling over bringing hybrid range to India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/181679-volvo-mulling-over-bringing-hybrid-range-india.html)

Volvo is reportedly planning to launch its entire hybrid range in India by the year 2021. This new brand strategy is likely a result of satisfying response that the automaker has received from its first hybrid offering in the country - the Volvo XC90 T8.

Media reports suggest that Volvo has received 50 bookings for the XC90 T8 hybrid SUV. Through this successful launch, the Swedish automaker seems to have concluded that hybrid cars in the luxury segment can be a big differentiator between Volvo cars and those from its rivals. Thus the company is now eager to enhance its hybrid portfolio gradually, while studying the market response and characteristics.

Volvo Auto India's Managing Director, Tom Von Bonsdorff has mentioned that all cars built on the company's new SPA and CMA platforms can be offered with a hybrid powertrain. The SPA platform can house a hybrid system where the front wheels are driven by the internal combustion engine, while the rear axle is connected to electric motors. The smaller CMA platform was revealed recently under the 40 Series concepts, and will make it into production in 2017. It has been designed for three-cylinder petrol-electric hybrids, and can even be developed as a full electric vehicle.

If the plans to introduce the hybrid range do come out to be true, the next major launch will be the S90 hybrid. Chances of Volvo introducing the V90 estate hybrid can’t be ruled out either.

Source: Autocar India

Volvo mulling over bringing hybrid range to India-original.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

One thing I'm incredibly impressed with is how Volvo prices its cars on par with the CKD Germans, despite being a CBU! That also says a lot about how overpriced German cars are.

I think Volvo might be onto something big here. The Camry Hybrid's success proves that customers will go for the greener version if the price difference is realistic, and the hybrid has some more goodies to sweeten the overall package.

Volvo (and Lexus) might not have a wide range of fast diesels, but they can certainly make up with a strong hybrid offering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4092105)
One thing I'm incredibly impressed with is how Volvo prices its cars on par with the CKD Germans, despite being a CBU! That also says a lot about how overpriced German cars are.

I think Volvo might be onto something big here. The Camry Hybrid's success proves that customers will go for the greener version if the price difference is realistic, and the hybrid has some more goodies to sweeten the overall package.

Volvo (and Lexus) might not have a wide range of fast diesels, but they can certainly make up with a strong hybrid offering.

Also, to add, Volvo's new design language is oh-so-elegant. The new 7 looks garish in contrast!

A relative of mine is with Volvo and he mentioned to me that if the s90 also clicks in India then local assembly will commence by 2020.

Hybrids are an interesting way for Volvo to pique the market's interests. But any strategy they adopt has to also involve aggressively expanding their dealer footprint. 15 / 16 odd dealers just doesn't cut it in this country. I was recently in Pune and saw that even the very well located SB Road dealership seems to have shut down. Not sure if its being replaced by another dealer in Pune. That's a big city we're speaking of.

On another note, I find the design language of the Volvo stunningly elegant. Would love to see them emerge as a more prominent player in the luxury scene here.