Team-BHP - SUVs to be cheaper next Budget
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SUVs to be cheaper next Budget (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/18189-suvs-cheaper-next-budget-2.html)

Great.. But I dont get it. Why would the official logic behind this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid
So you'd prefer it if people loaded 3-4 people on a two-wheeler meant for 2, including small kids squeezed onto the front of the driver ?:mad:

I'd like you to go over to some orphange and meet some of the kids that have been orphaned AND handicapped for life after the 2-wheeler that the whole family was travelling on met with an accident. 3-4 year old kids who were probably 1.5 or 2 years old when the incidents happened.

Or maybe meet some of the widows who've lost husbands and children in such two-wheeler incidents.

Or a friend of mine who has been in shock and hasnt spoken for 2 years plus now after he lost his wife, their child and the 2nd child that his wife was carrying in a two wheeler accident.

How selfish can people get?

Perhaps you would like to go to some orphanages and meet orphans who have lost their parents due to idiotic car drivers on the road. A 1 lakh car will increase the number of bad drivers on the roads. Are Tata going to ensure buyers are competant drivers ? This car will be within easy reach for a lot of people and the vast majority of these people have no clue as to how to drive safely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman
Perhaps you would like to go to some orphanages and meet orphans who have lost their parents due to idiotic car drivers on the road. A 1 lakh car will increase the number of bad drivers on the roads. Are Tata going to ensure buyers are competant drivers ? This car will be within easy reach for a lot of people and the vast majority of these people have no clue as to how to drive safely.

So we put them all back on 2 wheels?

Well the thread is going pretty much off topic and I suggest we discuss this some place else. Anyhow in my opinion the only way to sort the problem is for the government to enforce stricter laws when it comes to issuing of driving licences (I hope like Ratan Tata dreams of this too and makes it come true - eventually). Until then we need to cope with the realitites that exist.

As far as making SUV's cheaper - Great move. I for one, like many others on this forum, am a big SUV fan. But like Boom said - When are we going to see some real SUV's ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman

bigman, do you mean to say that all the present car drivers are absolutely non-idiotic drivers & that the roads are now very safe because of them ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhay
Do we really need more SUVs (read whales) with drivers trying to outmuscle other smaller cars off, on our tiny little roads ?

IMO SUVs should have a fee charged to even enter inside city limits.

I agree that SUVs do clog up the roads in Indian city limits, with narrow crowded streets and inadequate parking facilities. But there is no way an SUV can muscle my Santro off the road in Indian driving conditions. SUVs (and many big sedans) are like sitting ducks in city limits or on most narrow, traffic-filled Indian highways -- they can be easily passed and left behind by an agile small car. They need expressways to play bully-boys. But even on expressways the lack of lane discipline often puts the SUVs at a disadvantage against an agile small car in moderate traffic conditions. I have found that the SUV guys (or for that matter, even the big sedans) don't have the stomach for fast lane-cutting, which is needed if you wish to maintain your speed. Of course there could be plenty of unhindered stretches on expressways where the SUVs and sedans can come into their own.

Esteem lover: You could argue it's a waste of national resources to buy a car like an Esteem too. Why not just take the bus and save that money by investing it? Or give to charity instead? This is not the USSR. What someone does with his own money is his prerogative.

Bigman: Delhi, Haryana and Bangalore buses kills scores of people each year. What do Tata or Ashok Leyland do to educate drivers so that less deaths occur? Why blame Tata? They just make cars, and not with the intention of providing the general public with deadly weapons. Blame the government.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rks
I have found that the SUV guys (or for that matter, even the big sedans) don't have the stomach for fast lane-cutting, which is needed if you wish to maintain your speed.

You don't know the right people. I have seen Safaris force trucks off the road. And I have seen Balenos force Tavers off the road. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

I see this thread being locked very soon...

Well said Viper clap: and yes, the original purpose of the thread (which was quite welcome news actually) seems to have been lost - this has now become an SUV (and owners) bashing thread