Team-BHP - Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/181895-rumour-jeep-india-launch-petrol-wrangler-grand-cherokee.html)

Jeep appears to be planning to launch petrol variants of its SUVs that are currently on sale in India - the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. The American automaker has already imported a few petrol variants of the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee into India, pointing towards a nearing launch. The two SUVs, which were launched with the Jeep brand's debut in the country earlier this year, are currently available only with diesel engine options.

The petrol Wrangler is expected to be offered in the 5-door Unlimited guise, similar to the diesel model currently on sale in India. It will likely be powered by a 3.6-litre Pentastar V6 engine that develops 285 BHP and 352 Nm of torque. This engine is expected to be mated to a 5-speed automatic gearbox.

Meanwhile, the petrol Grand Cherokee will probably be equipped with the same 3.6-litre Pentastar V6 unit from the Wrangler. However, it will use a different state of tune to develop more power. The Grand Cherokee petrol will use an 8-speed automatic gearbox.

Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-2.jpg

Why are they even bothering? At most, it'll be a couple of lakhs cheaper than the diesels and still be obscenely overpriced. I can't think of too many customers who'd want a Wrangler for offroading (Thar will do just fine, thank you), while you can buy 4 Endeavours for the price of 1 Grand Cherokee. The Endeavour is 99% the car that the Cherokee is.

Or is it that Jeep is completely disconnected with the Indian market? Don't they know that we love our SUVs in diesel?

IMHO, they should just export these petrol cars back. Waste of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4096972)
Why are they even bothering? At most, it'll be a couple of lakhs cheaper than the diesels and still be obscenely overpriced.

Rumour is that the petrol Grand Cherokee will be priced around 15 lakh rupees cheaper than it's diesel sibling, while the petrol Wrangler could be priced at least 18-20 lac rupees cheaper than it's diesel counterpart. (link)

If not for anything else, it could be to advertise a lesser sticker price for the range, now that they have watered so many eyes with their exorbitantly priced diesels.

Also, there is a small but significant section of the car-buying crowd which is leaning towards petrol-powered SUVs.

If they manage to squeeze out a few sales from this exercise, nothing quite like it.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Do NOT post fanboy / biased messages on Team-BHP. You have been warned & infracted before.

Jeep India will be launching the petrol-powered version of the Wrangler Unlimited by the end of December, 2016.

The Wrangler Unlimited petrol is powered by a 3.6L, V6 petrol engine, which develops 285BHP and 353Nm of torque. It is paired to a 5-speed automatic transmission. Features and equipment will be similar to the diesel.

Pricing is expected to be Rs 10 lakhs cheaper than the diesel variant, which is currently priced at Rs 71.59 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-jeepwranglerunlimited.jpg

NDTV Auto

Quote:

The Wrangler Unlimited petrol is powered by a 3.6L, V6 petrol engine,
Due to 5 Speed Auto, this engine suffers severely and is a gas-guzzler. Given our traffic, local mileage can be as low as 4-5 Kmpl. New 8 Speed ZF is still a Year away and with our love for Kitna Deti Hai, even if they price this at 50 Lac I doubt there will be many customers.

Saw the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (CRD of course) first time in flesh today. Looks impressive but would I pay 71 lac for it... nah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4107756)
Due to 5 Speed Auto, this engine suffers severely and is a gas-guzzler. Given our traffic, local mileage can be as low as 4-5 Kmpl. New 8 Speed ZF is still a Year away and with our love for Kitna Deti Hai, even if they price this at 50 Lac I doubt there will be many customers.

The Jeep showroom fellas on Inner Ring Road told me when I met them a couple weeks ago that the Wrangler Petrol will come in at about 15 lacs less than the present Diesel variant pricing.
Now this seems to have happened and as per the other thread, it looks like the Pentastar engine alright.
But at 56 lacs ex showroom it is crazy. Because the road taxes will be another 20 lacs. And only a zillionaire or a politician or a real estate demon, can afford to buy one of these things here in India.
Truly, I am so disgusted that a common man's vehicle has been turned into some elitist poseur wagon here in India!
If only they could start localisation and local assembly. But then, if that happens, it is quite possible that the legendary Jeep quality, fit and finish may suffer causing irretrievable damage to the legendary brand. Im not saying this will happen necessarily mind you, just surmising because of our inherent Indian habits, traits and attitudes of jugaad, compromise and laissez faire which are so deeply ingrained into our DNA.
And another thing, once this happens, the Jeep Wrangler will suddenly become ubiquitous and thus lose its "exclusive appeal"...

Quote:

But at 56 lacs ex showroom it is crazy.
Yes, but with close to 200 % Duties & Taxes, I will say they are able to price it just right. Now what I don't understand is that why Diesel is so expensive? I know inter-company transfers can sometimes be tricky but 7-8 Lac ( Pre-Duties ) difference in costs of Petrol vs Diesel? Or have they removed some other features on this variant?

I still believe, a 2 Door Sahara - can be a niche product and Jeep should launch this ASAP. If they can do 15 Lac reduction due to engine, they can possibly do better on the one with 2 fewer doors as well :)

A Diesel- 2 Door Sahara @ 45 -50 Lac, I am already getting excited.

Quote:

I am so disgusted that a common man's vehicle has been turned into some elitist poseur wagon here in India
Shankar, If you check prices of Jeep in US/ Canada these are no longer for a common man. A half decent configured Jeep will cost you more than say Toyota Highlander or Camry. If you add Leather, Nav and some other fancy stuff you are looking at 50 K plus here in Canada.

Quote:

thus lose its "exclusive appeal"
The way they price it globally, I am sure it will carry exclusiveness for a while. And I must add Jeeps are known to have highest resale values amongst all Cars/SUV in North America.

Coming to Petrol Wrangler, this is what my Son sent me a couple of days ago and I won't be surprised if this goes further down by 20-30% here given our traffic.

6 Cylinder Petrol Engine + 5 Speed Gear Box + Indian Traffic :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4145427)
Yes, but with close to 200 % Duties & Taxes, I will say they are able to price it just right. Now what I don't understand is that why Diesel is so expensive? I know inter-company transfers can sometimes be tricky but 7-8 Lac ( Pre-Duties ) difference in costs of Petrol vs Diesel? Or have they removed some other features on this variant?

I still believe, a 2 Door Sahara - can be a niche product and Jeep should launch this ASAP. If they can do 15 Lac reduction due to engine, they can possibly do better on the one with 2 fewer doors as well :)

A Diesel- 2 Door Sahara @ 45 -50 Lac, I am already getting excited.

Shankar, If you check prices of Jeep in US/ Canada these are no longer for a common man. A half decent configured Jeep will cost you more than say Toyota Highlander or Camry. If you add Leather, Nav and some other fancy stuff you are looking at 50 K plus here in Canada.

What makes the pricing of petrol engined Wrangler even more interesting is that almost everywhere in Europe FCA has almost identical pricing whether you opt for gas or diesel version.

This pricing reflects rethink on part of FC India to bring in a downward revision and play it on the lines of conventional Indian pricing model whereby diesel engined variants are invariably more expensive than gas engined ones. The difference of 14 lacs between the two versions is virtual admission on part of FC that they were way over their heads the first time and some would say even second time. I for one find it grossly over priced even at this level.

However as you've said, bring in the two door soft top diesel at around 38-40 lacs and then we're talking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4145427)

Yes, I will pay the equivalent of 50K USD drive away, for this product. 35 lacs Rupees.
Thats what it should be priced at here in India.
When the Yeti was launched in the UK and Australia it was priced exactly the same - approx 27000 Pounds and 44000 AUD at a time when the Pound was 80 Rs and AUD was 55.
It was launched in India On Road at 21.5
Lacs.
Worked out almost exactly the same price as UK and Australia. It was a CKD.
Since the vehicle represented what I wanted and the price was fair, I bought it.

Now why couldnt Jeep go with the same strategy?

Quote:

I will pay the equivalent of 50K USD drive away, for this product. 35 lacs Rupees.
Quote:

Now why couldnt Jeep go with the same strategy?
Quote:

It was a CKD
One can dream whatever, CKD operations are not simple, especially past 2013 or 14 when changes were made to definitions of CKD in the budget. Previously sealed built up engines can be bought with body kits and still qualify as CKD ( read lower rates of Customs ) but now Engines must be assembled in India to qualify as CKD ( that's the reason MB India & BMW have tie up with Force Motors)

We can't expect Jeep to assemble Wrangler and price at 35 Lac given the low numbers they will have even at 35 Lac. You will soon have threads and comparisons and questions on where to spend 35 lac - Toyota Fortuner or Ford Endeavour or Jeep Wrangler and I can tell you many or should I say mostly, guys are going to find faults in Wrangler and pick say a Fortuner as it serves a family in a better way. The difference in CKD vs CBU is now over 150 % in Import Duties.

I still feel they should have gone FORD way, they bought just one model of Mustang & are doing pretty reasonable. Jeep could have definitely found customers for 2 doors soft top @ 45 -50 Lac price bracket.

Check the prices and specs in these Jeeps which I photographed last week in Dubai.
Compared to the India pricing these are a steal.
Just to look at them makes me drool!
I wonder if even three years hence, in the year 2020, I can get a decent used example for myself here in India at Rs 25 lacs or so. The Pentastar V6 Petrol engined one is fine by me. Looks like I shall have to haunt the showroom and jump on any rich fella who buys one, pay him a token advance and tell him I 'll reconnect with him in 2020 when he is ready to sell and then maybe, finally, I may realise my
dream of owning a Wrangler Unlimited...
Until then, I guess, it is just drool, for me!
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081044.310173.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081057.786779.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081071.289045.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081085.052326.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081097.768882.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081110.222320.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081122.970832.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081134.143214.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081148.994230.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081162.307109.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081173.141058.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081184.501917.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081196.800828.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081209.775700.jpg
Rumour: Jeep India to launch petrol Wrangler & Grand Cherokee-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487081222.396155.jpg

That's quite a significant discount over the Diesel. Even if it's a guzzler the price difference more than makes up for it. But even then it's still a very expensive Jeep.

FCA introduces new Jeep Grand Cherokee petrol at Rs 75.15L ( ex- showroom N Delhi)

The latest addition to the Jeep range of SUVs is powered by the 289.6 PS, 347 Nm, 3.6-litre Pentastar engine, married to an upgraded eight-speed paddle shift automatic transmission.

Quote:

The New Jeep completely built units (CBU) will be available at the following ex-showroom, New Delhi prices with immediate effect:

· Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel at Rs. 75.15 lakh
· Grand Cherokee Summit Diesel at Rs. 85.15 lakh
· Grand Cherokee SRT at Rs. 1.07 crore
· Wrangler Unlimited Diesel at Rs. 64.45 lakh
· The price of the Wrangler Unlimited petrol remains unchanged at Rs. 56 lakh

Link