Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:04   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Mod Note: Our 2017 Mercedes E-Class Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The all-new Mercedes Benz E-Class (W213) has been spotted testing on Indian roads for the very first time.

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-2016mercedeseclassw213frontspiedinindia.jpg

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-newmercedesbenzeclass.jpg

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-2016mercedeseclassw213rearspiedinindia.jpg

Expected to go on sale in the first half of 2017, the 10th-gen E-Class will initially be brought into the country via the CBU route, before Mercedes-Benz India starts CKD production at it's Chakan plant in Pune.

Engine options will be shared between 2.0L turbocharged inline-6 petrols & diesels, which will be paired to Mercedes's new 9-speed automatic transmission.

When launched, the 2017 E-Class is expected to be priced in the Rs 55 lakh - Rs 70 lakh price bracket. A range topping AMG variant could join the ranks at a later date, priced at above Rs 1 crore.

Motor Octane

Last edited by Aditya : 27th March 2017 at 10:59.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

I am sorry if I am sounding disrespectful. Mercedes has ruined it with the design. This new model just doesnt stand out like its predecessors.
fx45 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 19:16   #3
BHPian

re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I am sorry if I am sounding disrespectful. Mercedes has ruined it with the design. This new model just doesnt stand out like its predecessors.
I am not too sure on that; I don't see the W213's design as very different from that of the W212 (or is it?)

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-mercedesbenz_eclass_w212_w2132.jpg
nishsingh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Being built on C and S class platforms, looks similar to both. I like the rear lights which are now in line with other Mercs. Absolutely hate the current design. It doesnt look any different otherwise and should be a handsome car.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2016 at 11:33. Reason: Poorly typed post
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd November 2016, 20:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

SPOTTED: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class caught testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I am not too sure on that; I don't see the W213's design as very different from that of the W212 (or is it?)

Attachment 1577654

Which one is the W212 in the photograph ? Probably only the rear will differentiate it. The LED headlights are a give away and the 213 looks broader.
Also don't the DRLs look different on the test car ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 22nd November 2016 at 20:40.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Once you guys sit in the car, your opinion will change. It will simply blow away the competition in my opinion. These interiors are a generation ahead over S-Class which itself set up new standards not long ago. They have planned for an April launch after GST is implemented, which I think may even get pushed to September so maybe MB can get some CBU Units in Jan/Feb.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

From what I've read in international media, it's more of the same formula. More cabin space, more tech, more comfort and Mercedes' amazing styling (especially the interiors). Why mess with a successful formula?

The C-Class might give them good volumes and the S-Class is the car that defines what Mercedes stands for, but it's the E-Class that is the brand's bread & butter car (globally). It's the most important model in the Mercedes line-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The all-new Mercedes Benz E-Class (W213) has been spotted testing on Indian roads for the very first time.
Only 3 things they check for:

- Ground clearance
- Running on local diesel
- Air-con performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Mercedes has ruined it with the design. This new model just doesnt stand out like its predecessors.
I think Mercedes' new designs are fabulous and they played a BIG part in the resurgence of the brand. I'm told that the average age of the Mercedes buyer has also dropped due to their new + youthful designs.

That said, I completely agree with the similarity between the two generations. Mercedes made a mistake with the W212 facelift by giving it a taste of the new design language. The layman won't be able to tell them apart, except from the rear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Being built on C and S class platforms
Doing a VW with the modular platform, eh?
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am against this concept of one family same face approach. While the E class looks good, it is too similar to the C and S. Buying a car today is like, I have X amount and I get a car which is 5 cm long, X+Y amount can get me a 6 cm long car and X+Y+Z can get me 7cm long car. At the end of the day, the car looks the same just the size varies(and yes features and engine too). There is no exclusivity w.r.to design .

Mercedes/Audi/BMW/VW current line up in India:
1. SUV(available in size S,M,L and XL)
2. Sedan(available in XS,S,M,L and XL)
PrideRed is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:14   #9
BHPian

There is a distinct plan at work from MB. Get the big daddy S model out that just wows everyone. Scale it down and make it the C for getting the volumes and push that size up to E the money profits.
Yes, they lose the exclusivity but to a new buyer the aspiration value increases significantly.
2017 is bound to be a super year with all new E, A6 and 5 series entering - with the s90 already popping eyeballs and the new Jag XF looking stunning this segment is ready for the mother of all battles.
Khushrav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 08:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Having been in the UK for the past couple of weeks, there are plenty of new E Classes but you do not notice them due to the similarities, especially when you are on the move. I started noticing them when I was walking the streets of London

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2016 at 08:58. Reason: Typo
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:59   #11
BHPian

This looks like the long wheelbase version ? If indeed they launch the long wheelbase version upfront they are likely to sweep the segment ! Air suspension + stretched cabin + reclining rear seats = perfect recipe for big success. Huge headstart over rivals given the fact that all others havent even begun in india to plan bridging the gap between the 50 to 60 lakh sedans (E A6 and 5) and the 1.3 Cr+ luxury barges (7 series, S class and A8).

For a fact the CKD ground work for LWB E class had begun late last year in the MBIL works in pune. Lets hope we get this segment changer real soon on our roads !
Dieselite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
... CKD ground work for LWB E class had begun late last year in the MBIL works in pune.
While this is great news indeed, I hope that they bring the car with smaller wheels and conventional suspension and not air suspension. That would ensure better ride and lower troubles.

Last edited by GTO : 25th November 2016 at 11:24. Reason: Typo
Yeldo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:07   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This looks like the long wheelbase version
I don't think they have an RHD version production ready yet, it does appear longer in the second photo as rear door is covered with something that hides profile of door.

Quote:
reclining rear seats
That's not going to happen surely, they have to S class as well

Quote:
For a fact the CKD ground work for LWB E class had begun late last year in the MBIL works in pune.
I believe they get complete Kits from Germany and won't have a press shop to produce body and chassis in India so there is little MB India can do unless they plan to localise this heavily.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't think they have an RHD version production ready yet, it does appear longer in the second photo as rear door is covered with something that hides profile of door.

That's not going to happen surely, they have to S class as well

I believe they get complete Kits from Germany and won't have a press shop to produce body and chassis in India so there is little MB India can do unless they plan to localise this heavily.
I know for a fact that CKD kits (BIW) are being shipped from China as their Chinese JV has the rights for the LWB version. A friend who works in the projects team of MBIL has confirmed this. Air suspension and reclining seats are a part of the product line. RHD was planned along with the new car in LWB guise as India was always a target market. We might be the only country in the world which gets a diesel powered LWB E class !
Dieselite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Air suspension and reclining seats are a part of the product line.
Yes, it does appear that these have reclining seats if we go by these photos - check controls on the door

http://gtspirit.com/2016/04/24/offic...ong-wheelbase/

Maybe if someone can use paint or something to overlap the spy shots we can surely confirm
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-screen-shot-20161124-3.17.38-pm.png  

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-screen-shot-20161124-3.19.46-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th November 2016 at 15:26.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed