Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Small yet important features missing in Indian cars

Reading the latest review of the Tata Hexa, I came across a line that I've seen far too often in car reviews

Quote:
...only driver's window gets one touch up...
Quote:
...no one touch functionality though...
Now, I'm not an engineer but it seems like one touch up down functionality should be one of those nifty features that would cost next to nothing. A little basic circuitry should do the trick, no?

VW proudly advertises it on the Polo, where every window is one touch up and down because most cars in this class (and several classes above) don't have it. There also seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that this is a cheap upgrade for any car, even as an aftermarket solution. Remember, designing it to be one touch in the first place would be a lot cheaper than converting a regular power window into a one touch power window.

https://forums.finalgear.com/questio...windows-52385/

The only little problem I can think of is that one touch up windows could crush people's hands/fingers so you'd need the additional pinch protection system in lawsuit friendly countries. However, one touch down doesn't even have that issue.

So why don't manufacturers add this feature to all their cars, including the cheaper ones?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:45   #2
BHPian

re: Small yet important features missing in Indian cars

Hmm...
It is not just "One touch windows", but a whole host of such irritations that firms just don't want to address.

I've always wondered about self cancelling indicators that would switch off after some specified period (especially for two wheelers) - how hard would it be to include a cutoff timer?

May be a dedicated thread for "Missing minor but important features" is indicated?

But here's a solution (which you've no doubt already considered):
Directed Electronics 535T Power Window Automation System with One Touch Operation

Last edited by mvadg : 24th November 2016 at 13:50.
mvadg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shouldnt a couple of monostable multrivibrators at the switch be enough ?
Sounds like a good experiment for the weekend
http://www.ebay.in/itm/12V-Delay-Tim...AAAOSw-dBTtWic

Edit: you need something like that, but this is just a delay.
the circuit would need to be a monostable

Last edited by navin : 24th November 2016 at 15:14.
greenhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 12:32   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Small yet important features missing in Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
May be a dedicated thread for "Missing minor but important features" is indicated?
Done .

Here's my 2 paisa = Auto locking doors! In a country with high crime rates, why don't manufacturers make this feature standard? Would probably require just 2 lines of software code. What's worse, some brands like Hyundai offer it only in top-end variants (e.g. Elantra)!

It's dangerous to be driving around with your family / kids / laptop / smartphone with doors that can be opened by anyone.

Spare a thought for what this poor BHPian had to go through

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
As I arrive at the signal, I recieve a call and I start speaking through my car's bluetooth. As we all do while speaking, I was making hand gestures and then happned to just brushed my hair.

What happened next truly shocked me. This female staring at me all this while on the footpath walks upto my car, opens the door, sits inside and tells me that there is a lodge nearby and she would give me a good rate . (Stupid Hyundai, why don't you provide auto locking doors!).
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 13:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Done .

Thanks!

Here's my 2 paisa = Auto locking doors! In a country with high crime rates, ...
Agree wholeheartedly on self locking doors - and on my A-Star, I wish I could at least configure locking all doors from the passenger side from the outside (no remote locking, but central locking operates only from the drivers side using the key).
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 13:57   #6
BHPian

I fail to understand why some manufacturers eliminate the passenger side ORVM on the base variant of certain models (E.g. - Hyundai Eon, Swift Dzire Tour, Tata Indigo eCS, etc). Something as basic as this should be made mandatory on all vehicles!

I don't agree with the logic of saving a few bucks and ending up with a permanent blind spot on one side.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 14:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Wow! These things do really happen then?

Any updates on how the discussion went, j/k? (I am restricting myself from using the word negotiations ;-) )

Coming back to the topic; considering the massive use of smartphones nowadays (and it's famed battery draining properties) wouldn't it be logical for the manufacturers to add at least 1 USB port for the back seat passengers? Would be a welcome move especially for chauffeur driven cars.

High end cars might have them, yes, but I am talking about the mass market cars.
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 14:19   #8
BHPian

Driver's seat height adjust and/or steering reach/rake adjust!

There can never be a one-size-fits-all approach; people, after all, come in all sizes and shapes. These need to be standardized.

Post inspiration: A friend of mine who bought a Celerio ZXi (Celerio gets seat height adjust only in ZXi(O) ) and was fuming as to why manufacturers skimp on such a basic feature.
srinath.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 14:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Most small cars don't come with day-night rear view mirror as a standard fitting. One has to struggle with the reflections during night driving.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 15:03   #10
BHPian

The most irritating thing I find with Maruti Suzuki is that they give same style of keys for all the vehicles; right from Swift to their premium segment cars in India.

Grow up Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and other brands have been giving away Flip keys since ages.
Old 25th November 2016, 15:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Wow! These things do really happen then?

Any updates on how the discussion went, j/k? (I am restricting myself from using the word [i]negotiations ;-) )
It is one of the most hilarious experiences I had read , especially the last bit.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3804197

Coming to the topic.
All 4 door power windows is a feature that should be given from the base model regardless of the car or model.

Gone are the days when the driver has to stretch and wind up the rear windows when he can do it by just moving a finger.
Most of the cars still have just front power windows for their base or next version compared to the higher ones.

Last edited by tharian : 25th November 2016 at 15:23.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 15:47   #12
BHPian

I think that sometimes the manufacturers create these differences so that they have multiple variants and thereby they are able to create a scenario that they provide more options for the consumers. For example: If I have a variant say M1 and M2 and the only real difference between M1 and M2 is that M2 comes with 6 airbags. Now moving from 2 airbags to 6 airbags is not something that you cannot do as an aftermarket fitment. But if that's the only difference then the consumer is going to see this as 'one' or a 'single' difference. Throw in a few more differences like all four window per down, USB charger for rear seat, center arm rest for rear seat etc and suddenly the M2 version seems to be 'much better' than M1. Voila, I am ready to spend more money.

But what irks me is that these variants come pre-specified and I always need to choose between features. Why cannnot manufacturers provide a base configuration and then provide a whole list of optional features which the consumer can add-on. Something like 'build your own configuration'.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 16:38   #13
BHPian

In times when most car manufacturers are making ABS and Airbag(s) standard across all variants, why can't some of them provide tubeless tyres as standard fitment on all variants right from the base stripped down one to the top+option one?!

IMO, tubed and tubeless tyres are priced almost at par for all budget segment cars then this biased approach is beyond my understanding.
Old 25th November 2016, 16:51   #14
BHPian

I bumped into this thread to add my 2 cents but seeing the responses, I am wondering, how long this list could be. How can manufacturers prioritise these features ? They cannot add all without major impact on cost. Should the preference be given to Auto lock or Seat belt alarm ? Customers will still complain about some missing features as per their requirements/driving style.

P.S. I am a customer , just thinking from manufacturer's point of view.

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2016 at 10:32. Reason: Language
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 16:51   #15
BHPian

I think basic mileage related information must be displayed - For example: Real time mileage, distance to empty, etc. I know the numbers keep changing based on driving style but it is always good to know them. Considering that a basic OBD device is able to retrieve so much more information, I cant think why manufacturers cannot provide them by default. (PS: I used to use V-Link OBD device along with the Torque android app which was fantastic till it lasted).

Hyundai chooses to give some really absurd information like Engine on time which is useless but misses out on other useful information.
praveen789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks