Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 08:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing

Polo 180 TSi 5-Door Version Spotted Testing, Could Fit Between TSi and the GTi and is is likely to get the international 1.4 TSi engine.

Expect a 2018 launch!

VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing-volkswagenpolo180tsi5doorbadge.jpg
VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing-volkswagenpolo180tsi5doorspied.jpg

Quote:
The most important here is to notice that this car is going to be a 5-door layout and not a 3-door one. The car seen here hasn’t got any go fast bits attached to it. We can expect subtle changes to the alloys, stickering and other aspects of the car to make it stand out. Source confirms that there were no changes to the front when compared to the regular Polo. Dimensions are also most like to stay the same. The length, crucially, will be under four meters.
Quote:
To keep the price in check, and go the way it has done earlier with the 180 TSi variant worldwide is by using the 1.4 TSi motor. The motor is found on various Volkswagen models today as we speak. Right from the Beetle to the Audi A4. The motor could make 150 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. The turbocharged could actually come with a manual gearbox to keep the cost’s in check
Quote:
This could be something that could begin with a price tag of 12-13 Lakhs.

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th November 2016 at 08:59.
volkman10 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Polo 180 TSi 5-Door Version Spotted Testing, Could Fit Between TSi and the GTi and is is likely to get the international 1.4 TSi engine.
Woah another iteration of Polo in the offering??

I think the story of VW and FIAT (India) kinda paints a clear picture on how NOT TO do things in a competitive market like India.

VW - Launch so many versions of Polo/Vento and yet have horrendous inventory for their After Sales, spoiling the entire customer experience & expectation.

FIAT - Make some true driver oriented and focused machines along with offering a satisfactory After Sales, but fail miserably to update the product line constantly/consistently.

If things stay this way, Maruti and Hyundai only have each other to compete against for a long time to come
Vik0728 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If its a 1.4 TSI making 150 bhp, then why is it called Polo 180 TSI
Santoshbhat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I can't stop giggling thinking of the plight of VW SAs & potential customers answering a customer's query on the available Polo models.

Customer : hey, I wanna buy a Polo.
SA : Sure Sir. We have
  • Polo 1.2
  • Polo 1.5
  • Polo GT TSi
  • Polo GT TDi
  • Polo Allstar
  • Cross Polo
  • GTi
  • Polo 1.4 TSi
Jokes apart, I really hope they do a bit more mechanical changes to the variants with 100+ bhp output. What's the point in making a car more powerful if it can't be exploited safely! If the cars can handle well and brake well, I personally don't mind another look alike Polo and be lost in the crowd. But no, I don't think VW will ever care for such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Just for fun I guess. The same way VW released so many variants of Polo! I am still trying to co-relate the 180 piece. (am sure there are lot more with us doing it now).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th November 2016 at 10:51. Reason: Added the below quote.
swiftnfurious is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:52   #5
BHPian

I believe it is a 1.4 TSI with 180HP output (not 150 like the article says); that was used in Polo GTI in some countries, Fabia RS, Seat Ibiza Cupra etc.

Here's a video of one in Polo

Specs:

180 hp @ 6200 rpm
250 Nm @ 2000 rpm
0-100 km/h - 7.2 sec
Top Speed: 225 km/h

Last edited by theredliner : 28th November 2016 at 10:55.
theredliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I believe it is a 1.4 TSI with 180HP output (not 150 like the article says) that was used in Polo GTI in some countries, Fabia RS, Seat Ibiza Cupra etc.

Here's a video of one in Polo
That was a supercharged engine which was quite troublesome. Which is why it gave way for the 1.8 TSI in the Polo GTI. Highly unlikely that is coming back.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th November 2016 at 10:55. Reason: Removed video from quoted post
Santoshbhat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 11:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Notice the same XUV500 in the background? It's the same location as the updated Polo GT TDI sighting.

Looks like these test mules are running around in the same area.

VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing-2016pologttdi110images3.jpg

VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing-volkswagenpolo180tsi5doorspied.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 11:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

VW fans - New Premium launches from VW will be only from 2018, till then mild refreshed models will be offered for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
If things stay this way, Maruti and Hyundai only have each other to compete against for a long time to come
After its unsuccessful bid on collaborating with Suzuki they have given up pn competing in the mass segment. All the offerings from VW from India will have a 'Premium' tag attached.

Quote:
Recap of Michael Mayer's interview (OD) -
Quote:
The Polo GTI will be an expensive car. It is a CBU with 192PS and there is nothing like that. But who says it’s not the first step in getting a locally made GTI, which has the credentials of the GTI, but of course comes with a more local package. And I think there is big room for that. It needs some preparation.
I believe the car spotted will launch as a GTi for India . This is already launched in China in 2015,
VW Polo 180 TSi spotted testing-1.jpg

Quote:
Not only is the 2015 Polo GTI sold there with a 1.4 TSI, but it's not even the twin-charger engine from the pre-facelift model.

Instead, the Chinese are getting a single-turbo 1.4 TSI rated at 150 PS (110 kW) and 250 Nm of torque. The car is noticeably less hot, reaching 100 km/h in 8.3 seconds.
Link

Link1 (2015 VW Polo GTI -150 PS for China)

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th November 2016 at 11:24.
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 11:12   #9
BHPian

What if it is a 1.0/1.2 TSI with 180 Nm of torque and not 180 HP?
This was what was announced a while back:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3765569

Can it be the new GT TSI or a replacement for the 1.2 NA Polo, considering it was spotted along with the new GT TDI as per RavenAvi's post and looks identical to the TDI.

Quote:
That was a supercharged engine which was quite troublesome. Which is why it gave way for the 1.8 TSI in the Polo GTI. Highly unlikely that is coming back.
Didn't know that. My bad. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by theredliner : 28th November 2016 at 11:21.
theredliner is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
What if it is a 1.0/1.2 TSI with 180 Nm of torque and not 180 HP?
Even I was thinking of the same. But the New EA211 TSi engine has only one configuration in the TSi, which is 150PS and 250NM. And of all the configurations available, the 1.4 TSi's minimum Torque configuration starts at 200NM

I assume this to be the same 1.2TSi (which makes 175NM) and it may be the Manual Avatar which we wanted for a long time
PetroTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 21:07   #11
BANNED

Phew!! An another iteration of Polo!

Here is the perfect reply to fit the situation from BHPian Asish_VK in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Started reading the post topic, reached "Caught! 2017 Volkswagen Po" and felt "Ohh another update, meh !"

Soon in Indian automobile dictionary, the term "Update" might be replaced with "Polo" and scoops will be like "Caught! 2018 i20, Polo'ed"

Jokes apart, at least they are updating and refreshing their cars to keep up with the market trends, kudos to that
Anyhow, IMO VW should offer the choice of manual transmission in this one at least. We have DSG in GT TSi and GTi; now what the market needs is a quick manual; something like the Abarth.

Last edited by VKumar : 28th November 2016 at 21:09.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 21:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
  • Polo 1.2
  • Polo 1.5
  • Polo GT TSi
  • Polo GT TDi
  • Polo Allstar
  • Cross Polo
  • GTi
  • Polo 1.4 TSi
Joking aside, I am actually thrilled that there are so many engine options for this car. Now we all know why VW are doing this (they have nothing else, so they need to spice up the Polo) but this is how it should be for every car.

Get whatever engine-gearbox-trim combination that fits you. It makes every other car with a standard base-mid-top lineup look incredibly restrictive!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 09:36   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
  • Polo 1.2
  • Polo 1.5
  • Polo GT TSi
  • Polo GT TDi
  • Polo Allstar
  • Cross Polo
  • GTi
  • Polo 1.4 TSi

Jokes apart, the Polo in its many iterations is the car paying the bills at VAG India. This 5th generation Polo is now 8 years old and somehow, with all the different engines, transmissions & boot sizes (Polo vs Ameo vs Vento), it is managing 4,000 - 5,000 sales a month. In October, the Ameo + Polo + Vento did 5,500 cars.

Add the Rapid to that tally and it's a whopping 6,500 cars each month from what is essentially the same ageing workhorse. It's quite an achievement. If VW didn't update the car so frequently (facelift every 6 months??!!), they'd be in the same position that Chevrolet or Nissan are in today.

Heck, the Polo & its siblings are outselling the Figo siblings that are just a year old.

VW's brand allure definitely helps, and there's no denying that the Polo is still a competent hatchback. It's like Akshay Kumar still holding his own against younger actors like Ranveer Singh.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 09:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I can't stop giggling thinking of the plight of VW SAs & potential customers answering a customer's query on the available Polo models.

Just for fun I guess. The same way VW released so many variants of Polo! I am still trying to co-relate the 180 piece. (am sure there are lot more with us doing it now).
As an enthusiast, I’d rather have 4 engines across 1 vehicle than 2 engines across 8 vehicles! The same old K Series 1.2 and 1.3 DDiS in Swift, Dzire, Ritz, Ertiga, S Cross, Baleno, Ignis, Ciaz with “special variants” limited to decals, seat covers, door foot sills and door mats anyone?
d_himan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 10:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Bring it on! At least VW is trying and making use of all the components in their inventory to bring more options to the market.

How long have we been clamoring Fiat or MSIL to upgrade an existing model with a different drivetrain of theirs??

I wish VW could also tweak the steering, brakes and suspension of the Polo to make it a total driver's car. The Polo still looks and feels good and easily extend its product lifecycle with these small changes.
deetjohn is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks