Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 09:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! Hyundai India stops production of the old i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
I have felt that the rear seat of Beat is clearly wider and spacious than i10 and possibly maybe Ritz too. The luggage capacity may be less but that is not a big criteria these days. Gone are the days when Taxis were called only when you return from the airport or the railway station with those huge luggage. There is still a huge demand there but the cab usage has spread out much more - even for daily chores or say, office commutation. There is huge demand for small taxis these days - lesser fare and easy on traffic
Agree to your points. My inputs were based on the limited experience I have of driving the i10 and the Beat. The rear seat maybe better in Beat but the shoulder room is extremely constrained and seating 3 comfortably is actually a task in itself.

True to your next point that the cab usage has actually increased and is now spread over a larger number of areas and hence, there the requirement of a car which is comfortable, has low running cost, and is built sturdily so that it can last a couple of lakh km is continuously increasing.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:06   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
In discontinuing i10 hasn't Hyundai lost more than just 1800 customers per month?
Hyundai will try to convert those i10 customers to the category below (Eon) or Grand i10 (above).

They want to use that capacity for cars that are more profitable. It's the same reason the Santro was discontinued. And remember, the Santro was selling 4,000 a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
As far as I know only four-cylinder petrol cars are allowed to be used for Taxi. Three cylinder models cant be made taxis.
No such rule pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Well, signs are clear that I should part with my 2009 (pre facelift non vtvt) i10 soon. Else it might become a problem to find realistic value later. Hate to do this - the i10 is the perfect city hatch, especially in the AT avatar which I have.
Your car is 7+ years old and will now depreciate very slowly. The marginal difference in resale shouldn't make a difference, especially since you say (and I agree) that it's the perfect city hatchback. The utility value you derive from it is far, far more than it's on-paper value. Keep it - for the same money, you won't even get a Nano AMT .
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 15:51   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your car is 7+ years old and will now depreciate very slowly. The marginal difference in resale shouldn't make a difference, especially since you say (and I agree) that it's the perfect city hatchback. The utility value you derive from it is far, far more than it's on-paper value. Keep it - for the same money, you won't even get a Nano AMT .
Very true Sir, That's the only reason I'm keeping my 2005 Wagon R. With 79k on the ODO , it is performing really well. It costs 13-14k P.A for the maintenance which I believe is reasonable for Wagon R.

Last edited by manson : 30th November 2016 at 16:08. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 30th November 2016, 16:51   #19
BHPian

This will see the departure of a very good city hatch with decent highway dynamics. Perhaps, this will also pave way for Hyundai's sister concern KIA to launch the Picanto in India.
Old 1st December 2016, 12:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Well, signs are clear that I should part with my 2009 (pre facelift non vtvt) i10 soon.
Quote:
I am planning for a new ride in the premium hatchback/CSUV space and was thinking of either replacing or retaining my 2009 1.2 i10 as a second car. Though I had the very same thoughts as of 'blackasta' for my 2009 i10, I completely agree to the marginal difference in resale now or then. The 1.2 engine behaves really well in the i10 and offers excellent city driving with adequate highway performance as well. The discontinuation does make sense making way for the high demand and high revenue models.
CarMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 14:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Well, signs are clear that I should part with my 2009 (pre facelift non vtvt) i10 soon.
Else it might become a problem to find realistic value later.
Hate to do this - the i10 is the perfect city hatch, especially in the AT avatar which I have.
Edit: Spares may become a problem too.
I10 is to me the best city car. I own the 1.2 kappa AT model and the engine is a gem. The car itself has fantastic NVH can do highway runs all day long without a hint of fatigue.

Infact I sold my Ritz for this one.

Spares should not be a problem for the immediate future.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 14:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:

No such rule pal.
This rule is applicable for black-yellow taxis in Mumbai
Old 1st December 2016, 16:21   #23
BHPian

Not happy to read this, no offense to EON owners here, but i personally feel i10 was a great car and they could have very well kept this one instead of making a new car called Eon
Hyundai could have actually scaled down the costs a bit to have 2 engine options, the irde2 or 1.0 (used in eon)
Now when it comes to safety , euro ncap had rated the car at 4 stars, link

So let us say as every year NCAP gets stringent, it would now be worth 2 starts, it is still better than other cars in segment running around with 0 stars safety

The car had provision for ABS and Airbags so it would meet the indian norms for atleast next 3 years.

The seats are really comfortable for long distance driving, zero fatigue and great NVH levels.
Old 1st December 2016, 18:16   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Once the Grand i10 is released, Hyundai have started giving stepmother treatment to this little hatch - how would one explain when it was not given any Airbags/ABS even as an Option. But in its heydays, during 2010-11 period, I remember i10 was outselling Swift consistently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Not happy to read this, no offense to EON owners here, but i personally feel i10 was a great car and they could have very well kept this one instead of making a new car called Eon
The Grand i10 that we have in India is technically the second-gen i10; so, it is only pragmatic that Hyundai eventually discontinues it in favor of new launches. Or at least have only the latest versions of their cars on sale.

If the rumored Santro is on it's way back, it makes sense for the i10 to make way.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 23:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post

I think it's only CNG-powered cars maybe, irrespective of the number of cylinders. How else can this Omni ply as a black-and-yellow taxi?
Absolutely right. The 4-cyl information is incorrect - there are many Alto 800 cc versions and I've even ridden a Maruti 800 'kaali-peeli'. If I'm not wrong, even new WagonR with the 1.0 triple is a popular choice.

Perhaps Hyundai has not been as ambitious with its production increase, hence it has to pick and choose models to produce. Either that, or they are going for higher value models with higher margins which is a smart choice. For now, there's a Santro-sized hole in their product lineup that will be filled whenever the new model arrives. Until then, Maruti can make merry with the WagonR & perhaps Celerio.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the four-cylinder information. You will not see any post 2015 WagonR or Alto 800s. Whatever cars are on the road are before that, including Omni's. This is what was told to me by 2-3 cab drivers.
Old 5th December 2016, 18:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
I have felt that the rear seat of Beat is clearly wider and spacious than i10 and possibly maybe Ritz too. The luggage capacity may be less but that is not a big criteria these days. Gone are the days when Taxis were called only when you return from the airport or the railway station with those huge luggage. There is still a huge demand there but the cab usage has spread out much more - even for daily chores or say, office commutation. There is huge demand for small taxis these days - lesser fare and easy on traffic
Agreed, and besides, i10 is very good for city handling with appropriate torque and gearbox, extremely agile (failed to see the same level reciprocated in grand i10)
Old 5th December 2016, 19:10   #28
BHPian

The grand i10 replaced the old i10. If I am not wrong, Grand i10 was i10s international replacement model. The new one stayed.
However, with Maruti, The new Alto (A star) came alongside the old Alto, and it was the new Alto that got booted.
I felt, Maruti did not care enough. (Safety, new platform, new gen / or solely making profits)
Old 5th December 2016, 20:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
The grand i10 replaced the old i10. If I am not wrong, Grand i10 was i10s international replacement model. The new one stayed.
However, with Maruti, The new Alto (A star) came alongside the old Alto, and it was the new Alto that got booted.
As the i10's been discontinued, it's high time Hyundai gets rid of the "Grand" monicker from the Indian Grand i10 and just call it the i10 .

I also hope that Hyundai does not discriminate while giving features between the Grand i10 and it's sedan sibling, the Xcent (the hatch lacks ACC and reverse camera compared to the sedan). They can take a cue from the Figo twins.
Old 4th February 2017, 09:20   #30
RSR
Senior - BHPian

2016 was indeed the year in which the last (old) i10 was dispatched from the factory. It's still listed on their website, but not a single i10 was dispatched from the factory to dealerships in the month of January 2017 (according to autopunditz.com).

RIP (old) i10 {2007 - 2016}. Also RIP 1086cc 4-cylinder 12-valve SOHC Epsilon/iRDE.

With the all-new Santro still a long way off, this leaves a large empty space in Hyundai's hatchback line-up between the Eon & Grand i10. It's no wonder then, that the facelifted Grand i10's base model starts at a lower price than the pre-facelift version!

Last edited by RSR : 4th February 2017 at 09:29.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks