Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2017, 18:09   #31
BHPian

i10 Finally Retires from India

Hyundai has finally pulled the plug on the i10 in India after selling around 17 lakh units.

Quote:

Hyundai decides to retire i10 from Indian roads

NEW DELHI: South Korean automaker Hyundai has decided to phase out its popular hatchback i10 in India as it shifts focus to more premium and modern products.

Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company, has stopped production of the small car, which was first introduced in 2007.
Till date, Hyundai has sold a total of 16.95 lakh units of the model in domestic as well as global markets. It is one of the products that helped Hyundai cement its place in India.

"We have stopped manufacturing the model," a company official told PTI.

The South Korean firm already has a successful replacement for the model in Grand i10, which continues to rake in great monthly numbers since its launch in the middle of 2013.

Although Grand i10 was supposed to replace i10, the company continued to sell i10 for a few more years as demand continued to pour in for the model from various quarters, including fleet operators.

Hyundai, which is the second-largest carmaker in India, is shifting its focus towards more premium products in the country.

It plans to introduce a total of eight products+ in the country in 2017-20, of which three will be completely fresh while the rest will be new versions of the existing ones.

Hyundai is also looking for a big play in the hybrid segment with plans to introduce its model Ioniq in 2018, besides mild-hybrids in its compact cars and SUVs.+

With pollution becoming a major issue, the company plans to explore alternative fuel technologies and avail of benefits from government incentives for such vehicles.

HMIL does not have a hybrid vehicle in its portfolio in India.

Source
centaur is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:24   #32
BHPian

Re: i10 Finally Retires from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Hyundai has finally pulled the plug on the i10 in India after selling around 17 lakh units.
Well. The article above and the one I read sometime ago today seem to be contradicting each other. One says the Grand i10 is the replacement for the i10, whereas this one below says, the i10 is being discontinued to make way for the Santro.

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...ke-way/580687/

Quote:
Now, the Korean carmaker has discontinued the Hyundai i10 which will make way for the new Santro which is expected to be launched in 2018.
No matter which one is correct, at the end of the day, we have to say. Goodbye i10, we will miss you!!
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 18:27   #33
BHPian

Another cool city car goes off shelf! Though Grand i10 is the replacement, it is not as maneuverable as an i10 or Santro. Hyundai stable doesn't have an entry level hatch now. Does that open the doors for Santro in new avatar?
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 19:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Hyundai stable doesn't have an entry level hatch now. Does that open the doors for Santro in new avatar?
Eon exists but that is it. Doesn't have the pull which the Santro did and I feel, it still has enough of positives as a good city runabout. Tall seating, space & practicality.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 20:13   #35
BHPian

Could this be in anticipation and preparation of the new Santro? Santro doesn't under Eon so either of the two had to get the boot. The offerings above i10 are anyway too crowded to mess up.
Old 9th March 2017, 20:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the i 10 was relegated to lower ranks in the countrywide sales' charts during the past two years, due to the i 10 Grand being projected as its worthy successor by HMIL, the i 10 was gaining handsomely in the Mumbai taxi market. The Mumbai taxi market had a great vacuum created with the demise of the Padminis owing to the compulsory scrapping of 15 plus year old taxis in metros.

Thereafter, the MSIL products viz. Alto, Eeco and to some extent the Wagon R , Omni and Esteem (now laid to rest) made inroads into the black and yellow taxi segment in Mumbai. And the Santro from HMIL became a top favourite of the Mumbai taxi owners/ drivers owing to its tall boy design and its overall simplicity, economics, space offered and reliability.

Soon after, HMIL discontinued the Santro creating another vacuum. MSIL gained as a result and made further inroads into this market. The i 10 was also accepted as the worthy successor of the Santro and it was not uncommon to sight many i 10's as black and yellow taxis on the Mumbai streets.

Now with the culling of the i 10, the Mumbai taxi market may not be so reciprocative to the i 10 Grand due to the cost factor that mainly drives this market.

The private buyers are lining up for the i 10 Grand as their entry level buy over the i 10 or the Eon, but for the taxi market this analogy cannot be applied. The initial cost is a deterrent for this particular taxi market.

Thus HMIL loses its second chance to gain saleswise in the Mumbai taxi market.

Scoop Pics! Hyundai India stops production of the old i10-dscn5881.jpg

Scoop Pics! Hyundai India stops production of the old i10-dscn5883.jpg

Scoop Pics! Hyundai India stops production of the old i10-dscn5884.jpg

Scoop Pics! Hyundai India stops production of the old i10-dscn6060.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th March 2017 at 20:45.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 20:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

To meet safety norms, re-engineering old cars is simply not worth it. That could be main reason behind discarding the i10. Remember how beat the accent dead? Just like this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Another cool city car goes off shelf! Though Grand i10 is the replacement, it is not as maneuverable as an i10 or Santro.... Does that open the doors for Santro in new avatar?
I feel that the Grand i10 is as easy to drive as the old i10. The only thing lacking is the Grand i10 is height.

If you've followed the threads in the last few days, the Santro is making a comeback in 2018.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 21:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

The thing about car models is that even after they are stopped, they keep on running. Something like "The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen".

The first generation i10 was a breath of fresh air, specially after seeing the innumerable iterations of Santro. I had always a weak knee for the metallic red coloured i10. It was an absolute beauty. The interiors too were class leading. What let it down was the answer to Indians' favorite question - kitna deti hai?

The irde and kappa engines did create a bit of confusion for the buyer, so much so that Hyundai stopped putting the 1.1/1.2 badges on the car for a while. The company was also guilty of arbitrarily deleting a number of useful features from the Magna and Sportz versions. The introduction of '+' and 'O' variants didn't make the choices any simpler. Later, with the advent of Grand i10 and the subsequent removal of the 1.2 engine option, i10 lost its charm.

Good bye, cutie pie .
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks