Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2016, 14:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!

Apparently the Storme also costs 50% more than that of the gypsy, even for the base model. So I think Storme would be use to ferry troops / officers and Gypsy would be continued as a preferred carrier for light guns.

Tata and Ashok-leylands already are in use for heavy Turret guns and canons.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 14:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Forces deployed in the remote areas of our country would require bullet proof reliability and when there are break-downs/accidents, ease with which one could repair it.
I wonder how the Safari fares in these aspects. I find it to be less reliable when compared to Gypsy and is also more complex to repair (like front suspension being IFS, so much of electronics around engine management, electronic transfer case...)
starter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 15:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Forces deployed in the remote areas of our country would require bullet proof reliability and when there are break-downs/accidents, ease with which one could repair it.
I wonder how the Safari fares in these aspects. I find it to be less reliable when compared to Gypsy and is also more complex to repair (like front suspension being IFS, so much of electronics around engine management, electronic transfer case...)
The army has tested it in harsh conditions for three years. Do you think if Safari was unreliable they would have opted for it? Storme is a proven product and is as reliable as any other vehicle in its class today.
himanshugoswami is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 16:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Apparently the Storme also costs 50% more than that of the gypsy, even for the base model. So I think Storme would be use to ferry troops / officers and Gypsy would be continued as a preferred carrier for light guns.
Basic version of Storme may not be 50% expensive. As mentioned TATA Motors may have presented a better deal to Army, so it could be lower.

Running costs will be less with storme.
I guess Army may order a basic version of Storme equipped with 4WD.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 16:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT:
Our Hon'ble PM Narenda Modi visited Chennai to pay his last respects to our beloved CM J.Jayalalitha. Surprisingly he came in a Tata Safari. He was driven from the naval base at Adyar, In a convoy of police vehicles and innovas.

It is a good thing for Tata if it happens.

PS: RIP Amma!

Mods, please delete this post if it is irrelevant.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th December 2016 at 16:41.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 17:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The army has tested it in harsh conditions for three years. Do you think if Safari was unreliable they would have opted for it? Storme is a proven product and is as reliable as any other vehicle in its class today.

I did not mention that safari is unreliable. I said that it is not as reliable as a Gypsy. I do agree that the storme is more reliable than the dicor but it is still not as reliable as it should be for it to be inducted into armed forces replacing the Gypsy.

Maybe it helps if you could explain what it means when you say it is a proven product. At least from its monthly sales, it does not seem to be as accomplished as its competitors in its class today.
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 17:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe it helps if you could explain what it means when you say it is a proven product. At least from its monthly sales, it does not seem to be as accomplished as its competitors in its class today.
Sales numbers is everything, is it? To explain, i have a Safari Dicor that has done 1,12,000 km without any issues under hard driving conditions. It definitely has proven its worth to me, personally!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 17:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Sales numbers is everything, is it? To explain, i have a Safari Dicor that has done 1,12,000 km without any issues under hard driving conditions. It definitely has proven its worth to me, personally!

No Prasanna, it does not mean everything. Nor am I saying that in my earlier post. The reliability factor does influence sales numbers. It's not just me, maybe have a look at the official team-bhp review of the storme or varicor400 from Tanveer.
Old 6th December 2016, 17:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

A Safari Storme 4x4 test mule has been spotted testing outside Tata's Pune plant, sporting the Army green colour and a fuel tank accessory on the side.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th December 2016 at 17:58.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 18:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I did not mention that safari is unreliable. I said that it is not as reliable as a Gypsy. I do agree that the storme is more reliable than the dicor but it is still not as reliable as it should be for it to be inducted into armed forces replacing the Gypsy.

The army tested it for 3 years just to make sure of that particular fact, that it is reliable enough to be inducted into the armed forces in place of the Gypsy. Now you cannot say that you have tested it more can you?

The sales chart is a different thing altogether, since Safari is a vehicle that has a cult following. It's low sales are due to two reasons - the design of the vehicle and the lack of features, none of which reduce the reliability of the vehicle.

For what the Safari does best, there is actually no competitors in its class. The Scorpio is the only other competitor and the Safari beats it in off roading capabilities. Scorpio sells more due to the features/ creature comforts that it offers.
If you are comparing Safari with an XUV just because both can seat 7, well then I don't know what to say.
akhil994 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 18:43   #26
BHPian

Another factor which will have definitely helped the Safari vis a vis the Gypsy is the fact that its a diesel.
Logistics is a very important factor I believe for the Army and surely not having to worry about different types of fuel must have been on their mind too !
coldice4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 18:53   #27
BHPian

Great choice though I wonder will it be as nimble as Gypsy.

Also Maruti maybe Indian but Suzuki is not and with our PM pushing make in India campaign especially in defense sector, there is now a bullet point available for the presentation.

''Indian Army places order for important logistics carrier with an Indian Company''.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 19:07   #28
Team-BHP Support

I will not at all be surprised if the armed forces version of the Safari finally ends up getting manufactured by the VFJ. In case people are not aware od this, VFJ has tie up with both TML and AL. Actually more than half of their products are from these two companies with a lot many modifications done to suit the needs of the army. With the kinds of volume these guys are talking about they may as well end up establishing an assembly line for the Safaris in VFJ. We may start seeing hardened Safaris with lower road-going specs but with 4x4 and other features.
Zappo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 19:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

I guess they needed a nicer vehicle to move around too. Gypsy being bare basic might not compare well for comforts and power (diesel power is good ?). They would get more room to fit around extra add-ons.

Adding 4x4, good ground clearance and service network, it would have gained the advantage. Plus who knows, other things on the business numbers side would have helped them.

Last edited by srishiva : 6th December 2016 at 19:30.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 19:49   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I remember reading on some thread on t-bhp that it was the Defence Forces themselves that did not permit any changes to the Gypsy. Apparently because for any mechanical/structural change made, the Gypsy would have to undergo trials and tests all over again.
Interesting. But Mahindra actually improved the MM550 to some extent over the years. From 2004 army MM550 came with a completely different NGCS Box Section Chasis, along with wide track Open Knuckle Front axles and fully floating rear differential which was wider. From 2007 which I think was the last model year of MM550 given to the army, they introduced a 5-Speed Transmission. Anyways, I guess now the Army is moving on to different spec models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
OT: Does this mean the end of the road for the Gypsy. For the outdated, although purposeful, model that it is, it was only kept alive for when the Forces ordered them. Doubt MS will keep it alive just for those spartan civilian orders.
Besides Army, I think the other services may continue to buy the Gypsy as majority of Naval and Air Force Gyspsys actually run in the bases rather than the battlefield. Also various other govt and paramilitary forces may continue to use the Gypsy. Hopefully they will continue to sell the gypsy. They should consider putting a 1.5 100 bhp engine from the Baleno or SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Moreover, it offers better 4wd (low) capabilities than Scorpio... it's primary competitor.
This is debatable since both vehicles cleared the the trials. Tata offered a cheaper package to the Army.

See quote from Autocar report below.
"Although both the Safari and the Scorpio passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in conditions such as high-altitude, snow, deserts and marshy land, Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal, the report added."
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...403693.aspxThe article also states that the "The version of Safari Storme for the army is quite different from the one available for civilians. The drivetrain has been upgraded and the suspension has been majorly modified to take care of off-road capabilities."

Will be very interesting to know what the mods are once the specifications are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Slightly OT:
Our Hon'ble PM Narenda Modi visited Chennai to pay his last respects to our beloved CM J.Jayalalitha. Surprisingly he came in a Tata Safari.
The Specical Protection Group (SPG) has Bullet Proof vehicles in most major locations. In Chennai it has always been a Tata Safari. The last time Advani used it, it actually broke down. These are the older Safaris.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th December 2016 at 19:55.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed