Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:24   #181
BHPian

Re: Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!

I read this news while googling. Is it true?

Army-spec Tata Safari Storme Faces Quality Glitch Merely Days After Its Delivery.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/army-spec-tat...-delivery/amp/
(Alok) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:52   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
I read this news while googling. Is it true?

Army-spec Tata Safari Storme Faces Quality Glitch Merely Days After Its Delivery.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/army-spec-tat...-delivery/amp/
I am not sure how we can verify the authenticity of this piece. Doesn't have much content apart from the picture of a Safari held in the air. Could be more believable if it had details like job card/failed part pics/dealership location etc.
Old 2nd October 2018, 22:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

One thing that I noticed about these stormes in pics as well as a live one on the road was that they definitely have a different suspension setup. The stance is different.
I passed one while driving the city while the army storme was at a very high level of articulation reversing from a very steep ramp onto the street and I could see that the front suspension was definitely something different.

Wonder how is the handling and whether we can get our hands on that suspension.

I have of lately started to feel that our civilian stromes are indeed bogged at the front compared to the army ones.

Quite a statement too.
navpreet318 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:17   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Was stuck behind this Hulk today The stance is something else, compared to a Civilian Storme

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-20181022_180132.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2019 at 06:58. Reason: Masking plates
Leoshashi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 15:46   #185
Senior - BHPian

I happened to come across an Army Storme up close and personal. It definitely is a different machine compared to the stock Storme. The rear Axle is different. It is a Salisbury compared to the Banjo in the Civilian version. Also the vehicle is a full 6 inches higher than the civilian version. This lift is part body and part suspension.

I was initially of the opinion that maybe the suspension components are inter-changeable with the civilian version but one look at the rear axle brought all my hopes down.

The beast is definitely a different machine. Rides pretty much similar to the civilian version which is a lot to accomplish given the additional height and suspension play.
I would go to the extent of saying that Tata should offer this to the civilian market as a special model. It has amazing suspension articulation and has amazing presence(As if the stock one lacks in it!).
I for one wish I could get my hands on one. You can literally look down at other SUVs from this.
navpreet318 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 21:16   #186
BHPian

I was aghast at the choice of Storme over Gypsy by the Army. Anybody who goes into the rough realizes the advantage of a lightweight, small 4x4 with enough grunt to haul people over any kind of incline. Talk to any civilian driver in one of the National Parks and they'll swear by their Gypsy

I would have understood Storme for the officers' general use as an air-conditioned, comfortable vehicle and Gypsy for field use. The decision makers in the Army tried to replace all Gypsys with Stormes, for whatever reason.

The feedback from the field seems to have been brutal and urgent: give us our Gypsy.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki...dian-army/amp/

Last edited by Alfresco : 7th June 2019 at 21:17. Reason: Typo
Alfresco is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 23:52   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
I was aghast at the choice of Storme over Gypsy by the Army. Anybody who goes into the rough realizes the advantage of a lightweight, small 4x4 with enough grunt to haul people over any kind of incline. Talk to any civilian driver in one of the National Parks and they'll swear by their Gypsy

I would have understood Storme for the officers' general use as an air-conditioned, comfortable vehicle and Gypsy for field use. The decision makers in the Army tried to replace all Gypsys with Stormes, for whatever reason.

The feedback from the field seems to have been brutal and urgent: give us our Gypsy.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki...dian-army/amp/
I think it's more to do with the open top Gyspy in certain roles. The Army evaluated the Storms and Scoprio for a long time and finally chose Storme. That order is already placed. They also have in place a decision to use only diesel...
So, Gypsy is NOT coming back. It's just a one-off order for a very specific role.

The Storme is a very capable vehicle and while the Gypsy is 'light' it surely does not meet any current crash norms. Safety of our braveheart jawans is also important.
Going by the images and posts in this thread, even the civilians are all praises for the Army spec Storme!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 13:36   #188
BHPian

Spotted this beast yesterday near Chitradurga

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-picsart_062901.33.41.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-picsart_062901.33.52.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-picsart_062901.33.14.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2019 at 06:54. Reason: Masking plates
KING DYSP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 14:58   #189
BANNED

As the privatization increases we will be seeing a lot more vehicles from Private Manufacturers. These are likely to be cheaper, lighter and more versatile. So may be the mods consider setting up another section for Privateers vehicles in the forces.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 18:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
As the privatization increases we will be seeing a lot more vehicles from Private Manufacturers. These are likely to be cheaper, lighter and more versatile. So may be the mods consider setting up another section for Privateers vehicles in the forces.
ARQUUS - a French Defense Vehicle Supplier has started supplying the Trapper VT4 to the French Army. The Trapper is a defense version of the Ford Endeavour.

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-trigger2051.jpg

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-ob_72df7e_jt6b5873.jpg
14000rpm is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 09:43   #191
BHPian

In a civilian setting, the ArmStorme is really a Beast..

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img_20190630_094535.jpg

Saw one taking a largish U-Turn yesterday.

Not sure if the manueverability has changed from the regular vehicle.

Last edited by Moto$apien : 30th June 2019 at 09:46.
Moto$apien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 09:48   #192
BHPian

Indian Army handed over 10 Safari Stormes to Myanmar government.
General Bipin Rawat had promised to provide these vehicles to Commander in Chief of Myanmar during his recent visit to India.
Indian Ambassador to Myanmar handed over these vehicles yesterday.
Source: ANI.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img_20190827_092328.jpg  

Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-img_20190827_092331.jpg  

Deepsp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 11:39   #193
KMT
BHPian

Hope they provide an equal number of mechanics to Myanmar. I dont think the Storme is covering itself in glory in the field.
The Gypsy set a high bar for ruggedness.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 17:02   #194
BHPian

Just came across this news - https://twitter.com/Leopard212/statu...046716933?s=09

The thread doesn't have any details as such.
Old 13th September 2020, 23:55   #195
BHPian

Came across this news article -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.freep...4-0f59d5a342a2

The cabin seems to have taken extensive damage. Although the exact circumstances of the crash are not completely known, one would still expect built for army vehicles to be tougher than road going ones. Can anyone familiar with the subject shed some light?

@Mods: posted it here as it seemed to fit. Please move to any other more suitable thread if applicable.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Army's new official vehicle - the Tata Safari Storme!-mcms.jpeg  

Romeo_Mike is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks