Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2017, 23:16   #376
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

The steering wheel size is perfect. It is light and crisp, makes driving effortless.

And for my height, 5 and a half feet, the seat is perfect. I did not feel any pain after long drive of 14 hours, not in my legs, not in my shoulders.

I love this car.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:54   #377
BHPian

I didn't vote for the Tiago and neither have I driven one. But glad to see an Indian car make it as our COTY.

I think we are clearly observing the variety of perspectives among our members themselves. Think about the regular Joe who's shopping for a car. This must be so confusing.

As I read the thread, there are already variations of the car being really good for some and creaks and rattles for some others. That is exactly what I worry about TML. Their implementation of quality standards across their cars may need improvement.

Looking at the car though, it's quite a good looking car. Personally, I've moved on from the jelly-bean / round look and so it's not that appealing for me but if we make the Tiago stand next to it's segment competitors, it can definitely hold it's own.
Old 5th January 2017, 09:44   #378
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Congrats Tata Tiago!!
Cant wait to see Tiago newspaper ads boasting TBHP COTY award.
PrasannaDhana , Your wait is over. Here is a Tiago Ad in TOI Coimbatore edition (dated 5th Jan) quoting Team-BHP COTY Award.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!-teambhp_tiagoad.jpg  

APV is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 11:10   #379
BANNED

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!-img_20170105_111433.jpg
Just checked, it's on the last page of TOI Delhi edition too. Felt really good to see the name of TBHP COTY there in the newspaper Ad.

Last edited by VKumar : 5th January 2017 at 11:15.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 23:51   #380
BHPian

Congrats to Tata for being the COTY ! Looks like Tata is investing into quality and atleast trying to make a comeback. They are in a position similar to Hyundai/Kia were in the late 90s and early 2000s in the US. But H/K persisted and they produce some quality cars now. Tata should be looking at that story and see if they can replicate that in India.

Now the Tiago AMT should be keenly awaited I guess !
deltheking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:02   #381
BHPian

In today's The Hindu Chennai edition Tata has posted an ad of Tiago and mentioned about the awards which it has received from various media houses and magazines, and guess what, our own Team Bhps "Car of the year award" is also mentioned amongst the others. Proud moment for all of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!-img20170122wa0001.jpg  

Old 26th January 2017, 01:06   #382
Senior - BHPian

I agree Tiago is a great product, but I voted for Ford Endeavour for 2 reasons :

1) Because I can't ignore environmental changes, this was probably the last year when my conscience would let me applaud & appreciate an SUV.

2) It's a brilliant product. I wantedly waited for the Team-BHP review of the Toyota Fortuner to decide if the Ford Endeavour is indeed a worthy off-roader, and I must say, it is! Don't believe me, then let me quote GTO, an expert whose opinion is easily one of India's automotive scene's most respected benchmark :
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...All things considered, if I had 35 lakhs in my pocket for an SUV, the Endeavour 3.2 AT it is. A terrific all-rounder...and one without any deal-breaker. Ford hit the bull’s eye.
PS : I'm glad the Hexa wasn't launched in 2016, else I'd have to vote against it in this comparo. IMO it's a decent car from a sufficiently decent company, and I guess one needn't think too deep for choosing the mid-variant in automatic. XUV is a great car/product too, it has its advantages. Choose your shape.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 18:09   #383
BHPian

Having owned a Tiago XZ Revotorq for past one month and 2300 kms I can appreciate the effort which Tata has put into this car. The build is solid and the fit and finish is better than almost all cars in its class(Hyundai Grand i10 is better finished but they do charge a lot more). Passenger cabin is top notch and materials feel high quality. Only gripes being the M800 style door unlock levers, anemic fog lamps and a lack of automatic climate control even on top variant (guess they are keeping that for future upgrades or limited editions).
Ride and handling are exemplary and confidence inspiring. Engine does feel a tad under-powered at times but can keep cruising at 100 km/h quite effortlessly, the lack of power felt only during high speed overtaking in top gear (below 2300 rpm).
Since it's winter time up north can't comment on air-conditioning as I haven't used it.
Rear seat passengers are comfortable over 100-120 km runs that I have done so far.

When I asked my 11 yr old son to name the new car he immediately said "White Rhino" . On being asked the reasoning behind such a name he pointed to the antenna on top and said "it's got a horn and it is white in color".
It's things like these which endear the car to it's owners and so far the service experience has also been satisfactory.

So I believe that COTY award going to Tiago is well deserved icing on a very enticing cake.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed