Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2016, 23:30   #76
BHPian

Voting for the Tata Tiago for the honest effort by the Tatas without compromising on the quality. It has everything a common man desires in a car that looks more premium than it actually is on the wallet.
Old 7th December 2016, 23:32   #77
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Ford Endeavour for me. I haven't seen the Tiago up close and much on Chennai city roads. Ford has nailed it with the butch-SUV looks, along with the creature comfort and most importantly the suspension and rear seats which are very uncomfortable if the earlier version. I hope the upcoming(?) Fiesta will take over the mantle. It's time we enthusiasts get a taste of hardcore hot hatch!
I really don't like the fish type grill on modern Fords, but the Endeavour front is how a modern SUV's front fascia should be.
Old 7th December 2016, 23:34   #78
BHPian

I like measuring cars based on four factors (in the order of importance):
1. Value for money
2. Performance (power, handling, economy)
3. Practicality
4. Design

Tiago scores on all these dimensions. The only gripe is that it is underpowered (par for the course in the segment). And it absolutely kills it on VFM.

The Ford Endeavour checks a lot of boxes, but in my mind, it is not VFM. The XUV priced some 11-15 lakhs lower may be smaller, but it goes toe to toe with the Ford on features and performance. Yes, there is little bit of apples and oranges here (monocoque vs body on frame etc.), but the XUV holds up well. I would pick the Skoda Superb over the Endeavour.
Old 7th December 2016, 23:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

Didn't vote last year as I didn't feel the vehicles listed were worthy of the title. But that's not the case this year. For me, its really between the Tata Tiago and the Ford Endeavour. And having driven both, I will give it to the Endeavour. Yes, its much more expensive but it plasters a bigger smile on your face. I had a ball when I drove it. The big truck masks its size quite well and is a true Ford through and through.

Fun - Check
Ride - Check
Looks - Check
Toys - Check
Value - Check

The only thing I hate are those beige interiors. Ford should get us the darker shade at least as an option on the inside. The rest of it is perfect!

Last edited by noopster : 8th December 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Including the name of the cars :)
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 00:04   #80
Team-BHP Support

Tata Tiago, because for once, an Indian manufacturer has got everything right - looks, features, interiors and price. Bolt and Zest also had many of these attributes except for price - they were priced at par with the competition. But Tata has nailed it when it comes to pricing the Tiago.

Ford Endeavor is not relevant enough to be Car of The Year with a Rs. 35 Lakh price tag, and 500 units per month sales. Maruti Brezza is a great contender, but is a "me too" car. Had it been conceptualized and launched before EcoSport, it would have been my choice.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 00:33   #81
BHPian

The whole idea of the Indian Car of the Year is not to choose which car you will buy, but which car made a difference for its automaker, the segment and the automotive scene and ofcourse, the country's personal transport.

Endeavour is tempting for anyone. But I used my Brains instead of my heart(actually implicit bias).

There is no sense in using a proper SUV as a daily driver. I still remember those lines in my Environment Science text book in my primary school which read: "driving SUVs for daily commute is like striking an axe on the environment- everyday" There is a reason they are called "SUVs" Sadly, the reason majority of the people buy SUVs is beyond rationality
Hence, the Endeavor is outta equation.

The next obvious choice was Tiago, since it satisfies all the above constraints.
shree_shell is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 00:41   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Its the Tata Tiago for me. A supremely beautiful car from Tata and they have put sincere efforts which shows in the product. I like the fact they still don't go the 'I wanna be on diet so I can sip fuel'. Yes, its not the most accomplished product in the segment and have flaws, but at the same time has some desirability too. And yes, their guts to offer a superb audio system when no one bothers to, at least in the sub 20L(?) bracket.

I vote because this product actually brought (back) the company closer to the masses who otherwise was shying away from the brand. A game changer in its own right.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th December 2016 at 00:42.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 01:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

I didn't feel the same enthusiasm for voting like every year seeing the contenders.

Tiago's underpowered engines and haven't seen many of them on road (while Brezza is becoming very common) here in Goa made me not vote for it.

Brezza was first choice but the not so premium interiors, same National Engine and the rival EcoSport's quality, variants, etc. didn't help it in securing my vote.

So just for the sake of voting I am choosing one car which really is an undisputed champion in its segment since very long time and likely to remain so while breaking all the rules of our Indian car industry wrt PRICE, looks, etc. and therefore my vote goes to INNOVA CRYSTA.

P.S. - It is well known fact that a total of 99 Polo GTIs would be sold in India and its a CBU, doesn't that make it out of contention for COTY.

Last edited by carwatcher : 8th December 2016 at 01:36.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:50   #84
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Here is my shortlist-

1. Tiago
2. Ameo
3. Endeavour
4. Superb

The Ameo has a great diesel engine and has got the diesel+DSG combo at a very attractive price. This would be my pick in the CS segment, but it is a re-engineered Polo afterall.

The Superb is a looker from every angle and it makes cars costing twice as much look plain and impractical. The Endeavour does the same for the SUV market. Between these two, the Endeavour will be my pick.

However, my vote goes to the Tiago for offering everything it does at the given price point. It has single-handedly turned around people's perception about Tata(not completely though). I wish Tata best of luck for their future products.
Old 8th December 2016, 02:34   #85
BHPian

Voted for Tiago.

1. Value for money - less on compromises and more on gains
2. Safety features available
3. Offers good mileage
4. Looks great
5. Decent interior quality and good ICE

Last edited by Eyas337 : 8th December 2016 at 02:36.
Old 8th December 2016, 02:55   #86
Senior - BHPian

It was pretty easy vote for me this time. Have voted for the Tiago simply because the car does everything good while being spectacular at few things at a value for money pricing. The styling, the overall engineering is right up there with the best if not better. It is also one car that made Tata petrol engines relevant. The 1.2 liter petrol engine may not be a screamer but it adequately powered and very fuel efficient unlike the 1.2 from Mahindra in the KUV100.
Old 8th December 2016, 05:18   #87
MHG
BHPian

The Tiago gets my vote. It's a masterclass from Tata on how to package a car for the average Indian.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 07:54   #88
BHPian

I have voted for Toyota Innova Crysta, after all there isn't a car more resilient than this. Except for the price, this car does nothing wrong. It is still THE MUV and for all the people it has served in its previous iteration and it will serve in the current version, there is no two thoughts about Innova being the COTY for me.

In terms of sports person, it is like Rahul Dravid: consistent, consistent, and consistent. The Wall just does not break down. I feel that Innova deserves to become our COTY for all of its achievements in the past decade and for the next to come.

I am shocked to see Tiago leading the polls and by such hefty margin and looks all set to become team-bhp COTY. It is a good car and for Tata it looks all set to arrest its declining sales. As a "car", I don't see what is really exceptional about it for it to become COTY. Unless the next waves of votes changes, like what happened in Bihar's assembly elections last year when BJP was 100+ and its rivals at 60+ by the 10am, I think Tiago is a lock to bag the award.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 08:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I dont think this statement is necessary here. By your logic, Creta is an i20 elite on steroids and an ecosport is a figo on steroids?

Yes, Ameo is an extended polo, so as Dzire is an extended swift and Xcent is an extended Grand i10.

When nothing great is being offered in brezza by Maruti Suzuki, isnt it surprising they are selling 10,000 copies of it every month?

If everyone starts critizising the cars in the list, rather than justifying their choice, I think this thread will end up in chaos.
Sir, I have justified my selection as much as I have done for others in my short list.
Cannot understand what's the issue?
balajisv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 09:08   #90
BHPian

Looks like I am amongst the very few who voted for the Superb. Well, that is because the car is Simply Superb.

Well, I must admit, it was a close fight for me between the Superb and the Endeavour.

If I had 30 lacs to spent on a car, I would spend it on the Superb. It has everything that the Endeavour has to offer, barring probably the terrain management system. However, it is far more luxurious then the Endy.

Superb may not be a monster like Endy, but its definitely classy and sleek. An executive sedan, that can go on a date with you, can go for those executive meetings with you, or can hang around for those evening parties. And while doing all this, give you the unprecedented snob value.

Endeavour may make your date feel intimidating, your client feel you being bossy and slightly out of place for an evening party.

So ladies & gentlemen, its the Superb for me, sharp, sleek, suave and fast.

PS- Superb in its 1.8 tsi avatar, is a blast to drive on the roads. May not be fuel friendly; but definitely is fun friendly.

Last edited by sawnilrules : 8th December 2016 at 09:32. Reason: grammar
sawnilrules is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed