Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2016, 11:42   #106

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
It was certainly going to be a tough call for COTY 2016. On one hand, we have domestic products like Tiago which is bringing back some fortunes to its parent company and Vitara Brezza which struck cord with local public by satisfying their need of a high GC pseudo SUV in budget price, while on the other hand we have products like V-Cross, in niche Indian pick-up truck segment with that precise Japanese quality at mouth watering price, looks promising and going to redefine the lifestyle segment in Indian automobile sector and a perfect project vehicle for many.

However I have voted for Ford Endeavour as COTY for 2016. While the competition like Toyota continues to milk us Indians by providing us a relatively inferior product like Fortuner with many deletions when compared to their international counterparts, just because they can due to their reputation of reliability etc; it is certainly a pat on the back of Ford to bring the Endeavour fully loaded at par with their international disguise and at a relatively better price. Think about it practically, you simply don't need anything more in a car if you have new Endy. It is a 7 seater true blue SUV with hardcore off-road credentials and extremely competent hardware, has awesome exteriors and interiors, is loaded to the gills in terms of features, and is very easy to drive around. I enjoy driving the new Endy every time I get a chance.

For me, new Endeavour is a true revelation of what kind of products we customers actually deserve. Therefore, for me the choice is crystal clear.
True ! Endeavour beats Fortuner any day ! its just a better SUV and is loaded with great stuff. Toyota is just taking advantage of indian buyers. And its off road system is just so much better then the one on Fortuner.

Mod Note: Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th December 2016 at 17:15.
blood_velocity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 11:57   #107
BHPian

Voted for Innova Crysta.
Reasons: For the vast interior improvements they have made with the humble Innova
Old 8th December 2016, 12:07   #108
BHPian

Voted for Tiago.
Reasons: Tata has delivered a competitive and quality product at reasonable price. Great styling, high quality interiors and good build for the price. A good VFM car in the entry level segment.

Thanks,
Ravi
Old 8th December 2016, 12:15   #109
BHPian

BMW X1 as IMO we have a new segment leader in a space which could use some competition. Q3 was almost a default choice with GLA being underpowered and prev X1 really not true entry level SUV.

X1 is bigger, more powerful and with newer design. any buyer looking for Luxury entry level SUV would likely choose X1

Pricing right now is little ridiculous and BMW is not offering any discounts right now. That coupled with poor front seats and lack of choices in interiors made my choose 320d which was more a heart over mind decision.

the space overall is really great and this is a great practical choice for someone looking for entry in luxury segment.

But if BMW gives more interior choices with some discounts before Audi refreshes the Q3 it can become a leader in segment.

On other choices Endeavour looks like a great choice and Tiago seems to be the winner this year.

Zoomcar has added Endeavour and I am itching to try that soon!

Happy for Tata finally breaking through after some really good efforts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th December 2016 at 17:13. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 8th December 2016, 12:41   #110
Senior - BHPian

For those who are interested, here is a history of Team-BHP Car of the Year.

Car of the year: Tata Nano
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-nano.html
Total Votes: 1058
Tata Nano got 406 votes (38.37%)
Vehicle sales: Flop. After the initial excitement, sales dropped off. Now selling less than 1000/month.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Car of the year: Ford Figo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ford-figo.html
Total Votes: 979
Ford Figo got 375 votes (38.3%)
Vehicle sales: Moderate hit. Sold a consistently high number (5-6K per month) in the initial 3 years, then tailed off. Now discontinued, replaced by new Figo, which is a sales flop.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...go-2010-a.html

Car of the year: Mahindra XUV5OO
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ra-xuv500.html
Total Votes: 2626
Mahindra XUV5OO got 1487 votes (56.63%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit. Continues to consistently be the top performer in the segment. Facelift launched last year continues in the original model's success path.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

Car of the Year: Renault Duster
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lt-duster.html
Total Votes: 2122
Renault Duster got 1135 votes (53.49%)
Vehicle sales: Super hit - at the time. Defined a segment, and sold huge numbers until competition caught up with it. Facelift launched last year brought with it interior upgrades and AMT, but sales are now low. Competition in the form of Creta, S-Cross, etc are far more modern.
T-BHP Official Review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Car of the Year: Ford Ecosport
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-ecosport.html
Total Votes: 1362
Ford Ecosport got 696 votes (51.1%)
Vehicle sales: Moderate hit. Unique offering in the compact crossover segment, carved a niche for itself. Supply constraints soured the experience for customers initially. Sales continue to be strong in the face of new competition (Vitara Brezza) thanks to price cuts.

Car of the Year: Tata Zest
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-zest.html
Total Votes: 2454
Tata Zest got 962 votes (39.2%)
Vehicle sales: Average. Has not met Tata's expectations, did not pose a threat to the Maruti DZire.

Car of the Year: Renault Kwid
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ault-kwid.html
Total Votes: 2363
Renault Kwid got 692 votes (29.28%) - the narrowest winning margin. Hyundai Creta polled 557 votes (23.57%), Maruti-Suzuki Baleno 330 (13.97%), and the Figo-Aspire twins got 293 (12.4%)
Vehicle Sales: Hit. Initial bookings were strong, and Renault has upped the game delivering to expectations. Selling over 8000 per month.
Kwid 1.0 review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
Kwid AMT review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
KiloAlpha is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 12:48   #111
BANNED

IMO the 'Car of the year' award should go to a path breaking product which has at least twisted the set of rules of its segment. For me, it was a very tough decision between Ford Endeavour, Skoda Superb and Tata Tiago.

Ford Endeavour
Indeed a path breaking product and offers a premium feel too. It looks good, has a lot of power and has that plushness quotient too. Still, that rear seat and those round AC vents on the roof take away the feeling of being in a proper chariot. I booked one and cancelled it on the same day when I experienced the Superb. It may have a good off road ability and seven seats; I need none of them and so are most of the owners. Additionally new Fortuner has just taken away a small fraction from your desirability too. There is some thread, I remember, where Karan mentioned that; new Fortuner is better than the Endy off the road. Sorry Endy; you are close, but not my choice.

Skoda Superb
It's simply superb. It looks Superb, it drives Superb, it feels Superb. This car has rewritten the rules of it. It is definitely not perfect but, it is still head and shoulders above the competition. The new Superb is closest to the perfect you can get to, with a sedan from the said segment. Not a single cheap bit, awesome set of engines and best in class comfort. Where it lacks? Well, a car of the year simply can't be a car that is perfect (I would have voted for some uber luxury Merc then). It has to be a car that is accessible to masses (I can afford, 5% of forum can afford; that doesn't mean everyone can afford). A car that is not accessible to masses, 'IMHO' has no rights to be called the car of the year. If it was so, then world car of the year title would have been reserved for only S class, Rolls, Buggatti and Bentey etc. Sorry Superb, you are the best and near perfect, but I can't give it to you.

Tata Tiago
Anyone who has only 6 lac in his pocket (well accessible to mass market) and wants a car to have:
  • Decent seating comfort and ride comfort
  • Decent interior design with well acceptable quality
  • Decent driving manners
  • Decent build with required safety features
  • Decent performance to ferry the family in city and occasional highway drives
  • Decent FE and low maintenance
This is where Tiago makes a very very strong case for itself. A car that is accessible to masses but still doesn't look and feel stripped. It offers design, comfort (You bet? It rides better than the cars 2 segments above or maybe even 3), a nice to operate steering, an interior design and material selection that never screams 5 lac. An ICE that can put many blingy touch screen units from the cars three segments above to shame. What more can I ask for a commuter at this price range? The engines are competitive (Grand and Swift are priced way higher, bring in Celerio here for fair comparison). In fact Tiago has a better set of steering, brakes and suspension than Grand and Swift too; count ICE too here. I can't agree with anyone who has to compare this 1.2l engine with the Grand i10 engine. Additionally the 1.2l Kappa in Grand can't deliver the FE like that of Tiago and what about the driveability the Tiago offers? Wagon R and Celerio; the sole competitors of Tiago simply look and feel obsolete in front of this baby Tata. IMO, a car that is actually standing head and shoulders above its rivals in its segment and has rewritten the set of rules. Additionally it makes for a perfect first car for the masses (I don't own one, nor I plan to). Hence my vote for the car that is accessible to masses, without juicing their bank accounts for a couple of essential features.

My vote goes to Tiago.

Last edited by VKumar : 8th December 2016 at 12:51.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tiago.
It is a mass market car that has the capability to stop the slide and reverse the fortunes for TATA motors as a whole.
The sedan derivative also looks fantastic (from the spy shots).
Next step for TATA is betterment of A.S.S experience for their customers. If required, they may set up separate fleet and private owner centers for a better experience.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:08   #113

My vote goes to Tiago, its a VFM product and and it clearly should how Tata is moving in the new direction in terms of design, quality of material and price.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:08   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
For those who are interested, here is a history of Team-BHP Car of the Year.[/indent]
From the year 2009 to 2015 - Ford won twice, so did TATA and Renault. Once by Mahindra. And it looks like TATA may take it for the third time.

But Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota are all praised for their products and market leaders but did not even win once the COTY. what does this mean? Manufacturers should make sales charts or COTY?
By the way I am yet to vote. but surely would for Tiago just for the sheer commitment from TATA to make their products better

Last edited by Self Driven : 8th December 2016 at 13:11.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:18   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote goes for Ford Endeavour. Nothing else launched in 2016 is such a big leap. Endeavour as a product is so good, it makes proper SUV's twice its price irrelevant, even higher there is nothing.

Excellent on road dynamics, excellent off road(along with extra hardware: TMS and rear Difflock), properly specced equipment list, plush interiors, competitive pricing, punchy 5 cylinder engine... All in all its been long I felt Wow about a car before this!

The much improved and now fully loaded Toyota Fortuner, which compared to the old car is a big step up, when viewed back to back with Endeavour looks pointless, unless you are brand Toyota loyalist.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:28   #116
BHPian

I voted for the Tiago.
It looks good, offers a lot of features, safety equipment is not skimped and more importantly, has started the Turnaround of Tata(hopefully). If God and parents approve, Tiago could be my first car.
Old 8th December 2016, 13:29   #117
BHPian

What are the criteria for the available choices for voting? I mean, this list surely does not encompass all the makes and models available for sale in 2016, it is obviously a subset. So, what is this subset based on?

If one were to be fair in this, shouldn't this list comprise every make and model sold here in 2016? Of course, some of those may not receive even one vote, but that would be alright because then we would unequivocally know that those cars do not deserve to be here.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2016, 13:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
What are the criteria for the available choices for voting? I mean, this list surely does not encompass all the makes and models available for sale in 2016, it is obviously a subset. So, what is this subset based on?

If one were to be fair in this, shouldn't this list comprise every make and model sold here in 2016? Of course, some of those may not receive even one vote, but that would be alright because then we would unequivocally know that those cars do not deserve to be here.

Cheers
Please refer to the criteria definition here (the opening post of this thread):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4105500
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:31   #119
Senior - BHPian

VOTED for Tiago !! choice was easy

Apart from the initial "name" change hiccup, i really loved the fresh design language, Quality offering, VFM price. Love to see Tata come up with more such offering
Old 8th December 2016, 13:38   #120
BHPian

Voted for Tiago for redefining the entry segment. Great looks, quality, safety, price and most VFM, I felt.

Endeavor would have been my choice if the humble Tiago was not there.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks