Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 10:38   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Bought home this beauty in 1.5L Diesel Ambition avatar during December 2019 offers. Clocked 3K kms so far and every time I open the driver’s seat, a smile is plastered across my face. Here are some of the mods done so far:

1) Ceramic Coating from Detailing Devils, Delhi
2) Upsized my tires to 195/60 R15 Continental MC5s from Goodyears.
3) Stock horns replaced with plug and play OEM Octavia horns. Got them from ASS for 4.5k a pair.
4) Bought 4 years maintenance pack for 33k INR.

Attachment 1981106
The much needed tyre upsize will affect your warranty. Interesting that you got the OEM octy horns are 4.5k. When I checked I was quoted 12k, 3 yrs back. Different story that I got a pair of hella last installed outside anyways. Skoda is kinda picky about stuff like that. My car came with 16 inchers in 195 stock albeit with Apollo rubbers. Got the tyres changed to conti max MC 5 within first 100 kms. I remember the service Center trying to make a noise during first service but they backed off since I retained the stock size. That being said, the conti’s are great tyres but that side wall is as soft as they come. Within the first year I managed to loose a nice portion of my front tyre due to some curb rash. I continue to drive it but remain cautious. Happy motoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_GPS View Post
So true. I am enjoying every bit of the drive and my 1.6 NA MPI petrol engine is as good as it can get with its creamy, linear power output, steering feedback, composure and handling. Though I am keeping it as it is, till 2025 when my 6-yr warranty ends, before taking a chance at remap/tuning.
Yes, the stock car is tuned for mileage, which also coupled with my low usage has become fairly pocket friendly.
My 4 year warranty is still active but I went ahead with the remap anyways. After driving a turbo diesel for over 4 years a lethargic/relaxed petrol was too much for me to digest I took the plunge trusting the fact that this engine is as mechanical and non complex as they come, bullet proof in other words. No regrets but fingers crossed anyways

Ps: my first out station trip within the first week saw mileage figures go up to 18 kmpl. My pea sized brain decided at that very moment that something had to be done about this sort of mileage figures. Post remap, I am happy to report that my highway mileage does not go over 14.5 kmpl and the way the engine picks up pace plasters a smile on my face, every time.

Pps: made the mistake of driving a friends brand new Octavia TSI in Dec last year. The rapid did not feel so rapid after that. I have since buried those 20 mins of pure adrenaline filled memories until I am ready to take the plunge into the world of turbo petrols. Until then, this car checks all the boxes in terms of safety,looks, performance, comfort and space in that order, at least for me.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th March 2020 at 10:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Endless.... is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 15:50   #377
BHPian

Re: 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look

So after 5 months of owning my Rapid Monte Carlo DSG , I took the plunge and got her ceramic coated from Ultimate Detailerz Kochi in mid Feb. The experience was very pleasant and I would certainly recommend the place.

Bought her home in September. I love driving the Rapid so much that it has replaced my Fortuner for long distance travel. Odo stands at 7500 kms now.
Few things I've done and one thing that I'm worried about.
1. The AC compressor makes a noise under acceleration. I drove a few kms with the owner of the FNG I frequent for other cars and he said it's most likely due to over filling or under filling of gas in the compressor. Will get it fixed during first service.
2. Can't seem to find a decent rain guard / wind deflector anywhere. Any suggestions would be welcome.
3. Bought OEM horns (high and low) over the counter from Volkswagen using my Polo's vin. Cost me 3500/-.
4. Got Autofurnish 5d mats. It was worth the money and the floor carpet is still like brand new even after multiple trips in Kerala during rains.
5. Key cover from Keyzone in Amazon.
6. Skoda branded tyre valve caps from Incognito again through Amazon.

Attaching some pics for viewing pleasure
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20200313-3.26.38-pm-1.jpeg  

2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-whatsapp-image-20200313-3.26.38-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by kraken : 30th March 2020 at 15:53.
kraken is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 22:51   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
...Ps: my first out station trip within the first week saw mileage figures go up to 18 kmpl. My pea sized brain decided at that very moment that something had to be done about this sort of mileage figures. Post remap, I am happy to report that my highway mileage does not go over 14.5 kmpl and the way the engine picks up pace plasters a smile on my face, every time.
Hope you are not paying EMIs for your car like me, . You are absolutely correct. After test driving Nexon Diesel, Verna Petrol [same 1.6 Petrol] and an Ameo TDI DSG, this Rapid feels only just about sufficient in terms of what I want from it. All above cars were rules out due to high GC [Nexon - not or elder family members], lack of offers [Verna] and ownership costs [Ameo - Dry clutch DSG's reputation]. Nexon was just oozing power, pickup fantastic. Verna was creamy and as refined as a petrol can get. Ameo was ruled out due to its complex gearbox, since it had to be bought on EMIs. "Cannot afford a very expensive GB change" was playing on my mind. Both my heart and mind shot down the sweet offer of 10.5 Lac on road for the top end Ameo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Pps: made the mistake of driving a friends brand new Octavia TSI in Dec last year. The rapid did not feel so rapid after that. I have since buried those 20 mins of pure adrenaline filled memories until I am ready to take the plunge into the world of turbo petrols. Until then, this car checks all the boxes in terms of safety,looks, performance, comfort and space in that order, at least for me.
I would never do the mistake you did, ever. Every time i saw the Octy in the showroom [during couple of pre-sale meets, and ten few visits to collect the insurance papers and number plate], I just stood few feet away from it, fearing its charm might make me do some un-affordable non-sense. Especially when I saw a blue vRS, I stood more far away like a common man cordoned away from a VIP. Never will I even try the new upcoming Rapid 1.0 TSI.
Guru_GPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 09:49   #379

Thank you for all your help. Took the “Leap of Faith” and now am a proud owner of Skoda Rapid Rider Edition (Petrol.They have launched it in diesel too)- Fondly called Trixie at an mouth watering price.

It’s been almost 6 months now and it’s an absolute pleasure to drive. It is now way slouch or uninspiring compared to other petrols like Ciaz and Verna. And for the money, it should be rather compared to sub 4 meter cars or even hatchbacks.
Old 1st May 2020, 11:13   #380
BHPian

Amidst strikes at RTO and lockdown blues, this blue beauty becomes street legit finally. Still some time before it gets it own plates and starts munching miles!

Hello to the forum from Rapid Onxy DSG.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-img_20200501_085933.jpg  

Diesel_Drives is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 22:29   #381
BHPian

Drove down from Bangalore to Chennai amidst the lockdown with a valid pass in my Skoda Rapid petrol. Have to say it was a pleasure driving the beauty on near empty roads. Cruise control could be put to maximum use. And kitna deti hai was 18 kmpl. Not bad at all.

My “Regina” taking a little nap after Vaniyambadi toll when I was having my breakfast packed from home!
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-2c5ecc264876459db3f0ba64e1617c37.jpeg  

vshankarhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 14:55   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Drove down from Bangalore to Chennai .... And kitna deti hai was 18 kmpl.
Good mileage indeed. Few questions if you don't mind since I am considering Rapid Rider variant.
a) Is it the 1.2 TSI petrol?.
b) Mileage as per MID or as per your calculation?
c) How much do you get in City driving?
d) The new Rapid 1.0 TSI claims 18.97 KMPL but similar Vento claims 17.69 KMPL only and even Polo claims lower 18.24 KMPL. Any reason you could think of?
Old 5th June 2020, 06:12   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Good mileage indeed. Few questions if you don't mind since I am considering Rapid Rider variant.
a) Is it the 1.2 TSI petrol?.
d) The new Rapid 1.0 TSI claims 18.97 KMPL but similar Vento claims 17.69 KMPL only and even Polo claims lower 18.24 KMPL. Any reason you could think of?
Hi,

a) Is it the 1.2 TSI petrol?
Rapid was never launched with the 1.2 TSI. The petrol had always been the CLS 1.6L MPI engine until now where it has been launched with the 1.0 TSI in BS6 form.

Mileage is as per the MID for the drive mentioned. From my earlier drives, have observed that the MID mileage and the mileage from tank to tank method are very similar.

In Chennai, the 1.6 engine gets me around 11-12 kmpl.

Not an expert in that but the difference in mileage between the Rapid-Vento twins could mainly be due to different test conditions and slight difference in engine tuning.

If you ask me, Rapid Rider is a terrific bang for the buck. The 1.0 TSI is a proven engine elsewhere and the manual should be quite easy to drive. It will definitely be more fuel efficient than the 1.6 MPI and will be quite engaging to drive to. It gets the all important safety features, electrically adjustable mirrors, tilt and telescopic steering and all doors power windows. Steering mounted controls is not provided but trust me the dashboard design and tilt is such that you can easily control the audio system buttons; you might not miss it. You can even swap the music system with a RCD340G music system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay from AliExpress and you get a solid European sedan under Rs.9 lakhs on road. Terrific VFM!
vshankarhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 17:39   #384
BHPian

Dear fellow Rapid owners and enthusiasts, I've just completed writing an initial ownership review of my 2019 Rapid DSG and also I connected with a vector artist Akshay from Delhi and he made a vector art of my car, which I would like to share-

2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-1-1.jpg
Work in Process

2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-1-2.jpg
I'm also looking forward for getting a T-shirt

Link to the ownership review-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...iesel-dsg.html

Link to the Vector Art thread-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...strations.html (Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations)
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 13:51   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post

A quick 1000 kms update during the lockdowns and unlock times:

Understanding the engineering called DSG

- DSG works like a charm for sedate driving with the 1.5 TDI on offer. I have noticed a gear change at every additional 10km/hr increase in speed and by the time you touch 65km/hr or so, you are already cruising in 7th gear. This well could be the reason for higher claimed fuel efficiency in DSG vis-a-vis manual variant.
- For heavier foot, I am still trying to figure out the appropriate and precise ratios, rather than chanced accelerations. Luckily there haven't been any scary scenarios around overtaking, either in the city or on the highway.

The experience

- I am back in a sedan after 5 years of driving/riding in Duster/Kicks. Rapid doesn't crash at potholes, but doesn't glide over either at the bumps/undulations on the roads.
- Even with disc brakes provided at the front, the braking isn't confidence inspiring.
- The air conditioning has been found wanting, that too with only 1-2 occupants in the car. I find myself bumping up the air flow quite often and disengaging the auto a/c in the current heat conditions.
- Sound insulation too could have been better to complete the premium experience

The wish list

- Stock tyres have been replaced with Michelin primacy 4 ST.
- Next would be the horn change and reverse camera installation from their official accessories.
- Thanks to restricted timings, haven't got to driving the car with headlights on. But I have read of a lot of owners not being impressed by the throw of provided lights.

Hacks needed

- 80 Km/hr speed limit notification, even after the beep it just stays on the screen MID Does any one know how to turn it off/work it around?
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-img_20200608_1121161.jpg  

Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 00:18   #386
BHPian

Hi All,

A quick update.

I clocked 5606 KMs so far. I noticed a few annoying rattling noises from the steering mounted controls, squeaky noise from suspension joints and door beadings. When checked with fellow Skoda owners, it was revealed that the steering controls has some pins underneath which got broken and warrants a replacement.

I visited Arya Skoda, Delhi for a quick check.

Interestingly, just for a quick 5 mins, the service advisor said the part wont be covered under warranty as the pin broke. When I asked, what made that pin to break when there is no external action/ impact to manually trigger a breaking force, he said he needs to check with Skoda. This took some good two hours to get approved for repairs.

The controls were changed. The suspension bushes were greased and some lubes were used to lubricate the door beading.

Overall, all the noises somehow vanished and I am happy once again.

How much would I rate the service center? Maybe 4/5. Some points definitely lost when they were trying to push the cost to me instead of instilling confidence in owning a product of the brand. But then they did all what I have asked them to, along with a few changes in VCDS codes for me.

P.S. The steering mounted controls cost a whooping 13 grands.

Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:19   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Overall, all the noises somehow vanished and I am happy once again.
Update :

After a couple of weeks, the squeaky noises from doors returned to their glorifying self. Did the same DIY as Himan_D as mentioned in the below post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post3581344 (DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles)

And man I tell you, never have been this happy with the silence inside. Thank you buddy for such a magnificent DIY.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:04   #388
BHPian

Dear All,

I have been the Rapid TDI DSG Style since July 2019 and have clocked 20k kms since then with a largely fuss free ownership. I would like the community to help me with the following points:

1) The headlights are pathetic for a car of this price. Was informed by the service centre and the dealer that replacing the bulbs may lead to warranty issues. I am eager to replace the same post my long drive in the first week of November. Please guide me on the way forward on replacing the same without warranty issues.

2) Turning the steering wheel at low speeds (Under 5-10 kph) or in a stationary car produces a sound (Kind of friction).

3) There is a creaking sound from rear left of the car. I am unable to comprehend the source of the same. It is audible over bumpy roads. Again, this is an intermittent issue that occurs once in a while.

Would like to have an opinion from fellow BHPians before booking an appointment with the service centre.
Old 20th January 2021, 00:56   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7992 View Post
1) The headlights are pathetic for a car of this price. Was informed by the service centre and the dealer that replacing the bulbs may lead to warranty issues. I am eager to replace the same post my long drive in the first week of November. Please guide me on the way forward on replacing the same without warranty issues.
If you want to take risk with warranty, you can go with H7 HID kit in Low beams. I am using them from last 6 months and it completely changes the night driving experience. During my first service of my 2020 Rapid, the service technician did try to highlight them, but I gave him a piece of my mind making him understand that this is a plug and play piece and not to blow whistle on something which is illogical. However, if you can wait, Zac Hollis confirmed a new high power bulb is on its way to showroom and that would be a good upgrade. Not idea if that would be a led or halogen or HID.

Quote:
2) Turning the steering wheel at low speeds (Under 5-10 kph) or in a stationary car produces a sound (Kind of friction).
This is known issue. Nothing can be done with this thing. The service center guys said everything is fine, nothing to worry.

Quote:
3) There is a creaking sound from rear left of the car. I am unable to comprehend the source of the same. It is audible over bumpy roads. Again, this is an intermittent issue that occurs once in a while.
You can search a post in team BHP by D_Himan who explained a beautiful way to get rid of those sounds coming from doors in his POLO. I did the same to my car and the result is just awesome. They are gone for good.

Last edited by Tuisha110HP : 20th January 2021 at 00:58.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 16:54   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
Update @ 15000 Kms Service of Rapid Diesel DSG

An year and 15k Kms later, it went for the first service at Aryaveer Skoda, Moti Nagar. It looked a clean workshop and decent size for Skoda volumes. As per sales person they get 12-14 cars a day here.

Thankfully it was a routine affair and being covered in service package, there wasn't much drama at the time of Invoicing either. Extra jobs (over and above the ones covered in package) done: Wheel Balancing and Alignment + Cowl and AC vents cleaning + Reverse camera installation. The camera is on expensive side (INR 8,999) and comes with static reverse guidelines and average camera quality. The dealership was kind not to charge the installation costs. The car was ready at committed time and looked clean both inside out.

Attached is the copy of Invoice for reference.

Quote:
Bought home this beauty in 1.5L Diesel Ambition avatar during December 2019 offers.
Somehow I remembered the number plate of your beauty and spotted it there during my visit to Aryaveer. I was running a bit late, so dint really look around. Maybe bump into you, sometime in future!
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-page-1.jpg  

2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-page2.jpg  

Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed